WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, finished minutes, dog group, veg prep, found out how to see which apps are using how much mobile data, mfp was a big hog!
    Bonus: more of Mossy Forest hike.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, install new mic, test zoom, livestream church, zoom council, do something with goat’s milk, flagger course progress, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    August
    21: Donate unused items, clothes or food to help a local charity: maybe today ;)
    22: Give people the gift of your full attention: that will have to be Joe. Keeping distance from everyone else.

Funny but an hour’s worth of work on the fire district board meeting minutes left me feeling way more accomplished than all the housework hours yesterday. ;)

T’ai Chi is cancelled for two weeks due leader having been exposed to C-19. Just so doggoned discouraging. In my head I know this will all burn out in another year, but in my heart I’m whining. Will try to view it as an opportunity to practice on the deck, or in the park before “Walk with Ease” or maybe even get out those torture bands.

Julie “. . . cleaning is always an option, to avoid other stuff.” True, but there are few things (minutes, taxes) that I detest more than cleaning… ;) Glad you have the option of Hospital #2. :love: your positive take on the “lumineuse” comment. :relaxed:
    Karen how lucky you are, and I was. If I ever need Mohs again I’ll have to go to Eugene a 5+ hr drive. :confounded:
    Allie brava for your inner girl scout!
    Heather “finding glitter and sequins” made me smile. What treasures!
    Pip $7K for pavers for a small patio? Wow OW WOW! I can not wrap my brain around the increase costs of building materials. Now I understand a little how Mama and Papa felt about prices, viewing through depression era lenses.
    Tracey like your idea about stacking calendar pictures in a frame for easy changing and storage.
    Welcome @rjv230 ! I’m only 1.5 inches taller than you and I’d be happy to consistently lose ½ lb per week. It took 3 years to gain the weight, why not give yourself 20 weeks to take (and keep) it off? Would you let us know what you'd like to be called and your general locale?
    Lisa :laugh: I LOVE your advice to rjv230! Thank you for posting, hope you are feeling better.
    Debbie hope you can find ways to discourage the raccoons soon! :love: your leggings

Thanks to YouTube managed to make step goal and keep CI barely less than CO.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 19, weigh/wii: 21/0/0; steps>6704=6875 vits=20, log=21, CI<CO=20, CI<250<CO=15, Tumble=11, Shadow=20, mfp=22, outside=24, up hill=23, clean 10=21.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=3. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=3. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:12 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

thanks- leggings are from Walmart- $4 ;) I only wear leggings and they HAVE to be super soft- don't care how cute they are, how cheap they are, if they are not really soft(these are like stretchy flannel), I do not wear them. I have always been picky about texture on my clothes but now even more so.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Ugh a few hours ago had a Vertigo episode and started violently getting ill,it hasnt happened in a long time so I napped it off and am feeling a bit better oof..
    Henri made landfall in Rhode island.. we are getting rain and a little bit of wind
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2021
    Allie – Good to know that your weather was downgraded to a tropical storm. I hope you and your family are all safe and dry. Congrats on the new ultrasonic dog trainer. I hope it continues to work well for you and Alfie. :star: So sorry about your vertigo episode. I hope you’re feeling better. :heart:

Beth near Buffalo & Machka – Our power company sends us a calendar every year. The photos are taken by local people. I enjoy seeing a new photo each month. I use the calendar to show appointments and events. :smiley:

Pip - Your leader board rankings on the MS ride are awesome. I consider you a hero. :heart:

Machka – Your photo of Margate Meander is stunning! Beautiful!!! :star:

Rita – Nice to see you!!! :flowerforyou:

Barbara – I am lucky that my yoga class is filled with people who have had two Covid vaccinations. There are fewer people than a year or two ago, but the “regulars” are there three times a week. Cancellations are rare. I am delighted to be there. :bigsmile:

The baby blanket is done!!! I am happy with it. I may embellish the corner that will cover the baby’s head with a fox face. The baby is due this fall. We plan to be there to baby-sit our grandson while our son & DDIL are at the hospital having the new baby. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    Katla- can you post a picture of your blanket
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :) Happy Sunday!

Carol in GA
  • ArmindaJoanna
    ArmindaJoanna Posts: 10 Member
    HEY EVERYONE! I AM DOING CRAFTS TODAY. KEEPS ME BUSY AND I AM NOT EATING! HOW IS YOUR DAY GOING?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    HEY EVERYONE! I AM DOING CRAFTS TODAY. KEEPS ME BUSY AND I AM NOT EATING! HOW IS YOUR DAY GOING?

I’m crafting right along with you. It’s not keeping me from snacking today like it usually does though.

Tracey
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited August 2021

I'm trying to food prep for the week so I'm eating things like red peppers and zucchini as I chop and cook my quiche that me and hubby eat for lunch. Then I have about 6 hours of work to catch up on.

Hubby chipped a molar today on our salad so tomorrow will be interesting. I'm laying odds that the dentist will want to crown in and not just fill. I just hope he can get in to see them tomorrow.

I'm working on not stress eating with work and the tooth but at least for now I'm munching on veggies.

What kind of crafts are you making?

Kiz
    North Florida
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    (((Beth))))

(((Allie)))
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited August 2021

I am staying busy- filled the dehydrator again full of apples, have a batch of catnip in the oven to finish drying(not hot enough to dry all the way in my drying rack outside) and now the cats are going crazy with the smell. Fed the squirrels but didn't put anything out for the young possum- coons are getting all the stuff I put out for it now but it did eat good a few days and if I see it again, I will put a little food our for it.
    Got water going in the garden and I will weed tomorrow.
    Need to get a bunch of catnip toys made this week. Some for friends and some for a raffle prize at the class reunion. I will add in a bag of plain dried catnip- I KNOW those in my class will think it is something else!!! ;)

Now time to catch up on some computer work.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited August 2021
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Ok Been so busy at work. Reading mostly but wanted to add the information a few have asked about.

Gallbladder cleanse and more
    So I'm going to break this into 3 sections probably. The cleanse itself. Other related medical information. My personal experience.

The gallbladder cleanse. There is a great book called The amazing liver and gallbladder cleanse it's available via kindle and I think cost about $20. It's an interesting read. Well worth $20.

I have read about lots of different version of this and I adapted my own. I'll list opt. optional or required rq. parts to the cleanse and what they do.

The night before your cleanse clean out your bowels. I do 2 12 oz bottles of magnesium sulfate same as you would before a colonoscopy. RQ. the alternative is a colonic.

2 days of apple juice. 2 cups every 2 hours for a total of 14 cups. No food *see below for opt. into*
    This gives you a bunch of natural malic acid and doesn't trigger your gallbladder because it has no fat. The malic acid helps soften gallstones. believe or not you won't be hungry.

at 6 pm the of the second night I dissolve 4 tablespoons of epsom salts into 24 oz. of warm water. Then drink 6 oz. of this reserving the rest for later. RQ. Epsom salts are known to dilate your bile ducts so this is very important. I drink a little apple juice after this as it is very bitter. OPT.

8pm drink 6 oz. of the epsom salt water. RQ. Rinse with apple juice. OPT.

10 pm I take 4 oz of olive oil and mix it with some fresh squeezed citrus juice either lemon or grapefruit depending on what I have on hand. RQ. This causes strong contractions in your gallbladder.

I lay down very still with my head higher than my stomach. Then try to sleep.

6 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ
    8 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ this is generally when I start seeing stones.

My last cleanse I didn't want all the apple juice so I did a fast and changed out the apple juice is malic acid. I'm not sure it worked as well and I was hungry.

I also have started taking Ox bile tablets, Gold coin grass, and apple cider vinger.

That's it that's the cleanse. I always feel better after but sometimes not for long periods. The general consensus from forums I've read is it works but you have to keep at it 10 - 12 times. SPaced at least 3 weeks apart.

My personal experience. There is lots of information on the net about every kind of item. I was having mostly left side pain, naseau, heavy fatigue. They sent me for an ultrasound and found stones but did not say how big, how many or anything like that. They sent me to a surgeon. I didn't like reading that 30% of people who have the surgery still have problems that their issue isn't necessarily resolved. I asked to go to a gastroentenologiest who told me 40% of people have gallstones and never it know it because they don't always cause problems. I also have fatty liver.

Since my pain was left side and I wasn't in right side pain. I decided to wait and research more. I did a cleanse. I felt better. I waited 2 months started to feel some pain or so and did another one. this goes on for a while and then my GP wants to run a hidascan since I didn't have the surgery. They say my gallbladder functions at 11%.

I was first diagnosed April of 2020. I still occasionally get pain but the majority of my pain is gone. I am feeling better and I think my root problem is insulin resistance. This creates high cholesterol which in turn plays a role into forming gallstones.

When reading and listening to doctors videos about insulin resistance it make so much sense why despite medical advances we are still a sick people. You can track the uptick in lots of diseases with the food that became popular partly due to industrialization and partly due to the USDA recommendations.

Further insulin resistance is best measured by HOMA-IR but most general practitioning doctors only look at fasting blood sugar. By the time your fasting blood sugar is high enough to trigger their next step you most likely have type 2 diabetes. People really should keep track before that.

Lastly if you have never had weight problems you maybe able to eat whatever USDA recommends and be healthy but those of us who have become overweight and then tried dieting to fix it often times this makes you insulin resistant so USDA can certainly work for people whose body hasn't been damaged. But a look at the data shows that the more people by survey (over time) who says they follow the USDA recommendations which are carb heavy the more incidence of diabetes, heart disease and such we have.

Medical disscussion
    Most doctors won't recommend a clease because you may get a gallstone stuck in your duct.
    1. The epsom salt dialates your ducts helping to prevent this.
    2. The same doctors say they don't work but if they don't work, I mean if gallstones don't come out then how would you get a stone stuck?
    3. some people say well you can't get stuff to go up into your gallbladder so the apple juice and stuff isn't going there. Your body recycles 90% of your bile which goes back into your gallbladder and the medicine which does exist (prescription ursodiol which dissolve them slowly over time) So if you can't get stuff in there to help then why is there a prescription medicine that does just that?
    4. many say oh you aren't seeing stones. You are just seeing a soap like mixture make by the olive oil and citrus. Ok sound actually plausible. But I've done 6 of these and my husband being a good trooper has done them with me as support and a why not. For the first 5 I spit out lots of stones and he didn't spit out any. So the one who has stones on her ultrasound spits out soap but not the other guy who is eating/drinking the same exact thing.
    BTW on the 6th cleanse he got a few stones out.

Could I end up at the hospital in pain and needing my gallbladder out due to the cleanse. yes but they already wanted to yank it out.

I really feel they are helping and there are lots of other people who swear they have helped them as well. It isn't a quick fix like surgery.

Surgery makes some people better and great and wonderful. For too large a portion for my liking. It makes it hard to eat protein and fat. It give them diarrhea because the bile now just seeps out constantly into the intestines. For others the pain doesn't go away because it wasn't cause by the gallbladder. Even with your gallbladder out you can still get stones forming in your liver. Look up biliary stones.

I'm not a medical doctor and I don't know where my journey will end but the chinese have been doing some similar things like ox bile, gold coin grass and cleanses for thousands of years as a gallbladder management system. I love modern medicine but I don't know that gallbladder removal is a great idea.

On the other side by not removing it I do increase the odds of getting pancreatitis.

Insulin Resistance
    If you are still reading and interested watch this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dr+ekberg+insulin+resistance&view=detail&mid=06F2C51425564208D09D06F2C51425564208D09D&FORM=VIRE

there is so much more but it's a start.
    4. many say oh you aren't seeing stones. You are just seeing a soap like mixture make by the olive oil and citrus. Ok sound actually plausible. But I've done 6 of these and my husband being a good trooper has done them with me as support and a why not. For the first 5 I spit out lots of stones and he didn't spit out any. So the one who has stones on her ultrasound spits out soap but not the other guy who is eating/drinking the same exact thing.

Gallstones don't go out the mouth (spitting). If they go out, they go the other direction.

Um yeah I was using a figure of speech. You pass them in your bowel which will be plentiful and liquid since you are taking epsom salts and been on a liquid diet.

And yes it is 1600 calories a day. But it isn't a diet for losing weight it's part of the cleanse for the acid. That's why my last one I choose to do a fast with malic acid. I don't want all the sugar.

But I wasn't trying to convince anyone to do anything. I just thought I'd let you know what it is since 2 people asked.

I also wasn't convinced that my problems were gallstones becuase my pain was left side. I did do lots of research after they found them. Yours sounds like a possible stone in the duct. Did the new CT scan find anything?

No ... I don't have gallstones.

Maybe sludge ... or maybe it's twisted ... or maybe it's something else.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌲🌳🌴
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member

:) I ride my bike and watch TV while I knit so it's a win in many ways. This morning I walked the dogs early, then went to the grocery store for curbside pickup followed by walking with a friend for an hour before lunch. I don't do well with sitting.

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Pppp
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,330 Member
    Interesting discussions (as always). Not much to add to what has already been said.

Julie-hope you get a bit more clarity on the skin cancer results. I had a full-body check up two or three years ago and no signs of anything. I was a bit surprised since I am fairly light skinned with lots of freckles. Will ask internist at next visit when he thinks I should get recheck. I'm glad you are seeing friends there more.

Machka-college notes and papers? I kept them for awhile. Then realized, even when teaching, I didn't refer to anything other than lecture materials. I pitched them all and haven't missed them. Did keep my Master's thesis and Ph.D. dissertation, but they are bound books and don't take up much room.

Picked up new car on Friday. Got a Subaru Forester Touring. Got a really good trade in on my Honda CRV (very low miles). I had been wanting something with more of the current safety features. I have owned three other subarus over the years and really like them. First time I have ever gotten a vehicle very far removed from the entry model.

My week with Covid
    Big discussion with church council this week. We had decided a few weeks ago to follow CDC recommendations regarding masks, etc., rather than all of us playing health experts. So, when the CDC handed down recommendations regarding indoor masking in areas with high and significant (or what ever the labels are), and our county hit the orange level, we brought masks back inside the church-no other changes. Well, our county is now red (like most of the state) and one member of council decided now is the time for us to change and make masks, etc., optional (and did I mention our Pastor has not received a vaccine?). Well that got a discussion going. However, since I am president,I provided opportunity for him to make motion and for it to be seconded so we could discuss (all of this via email). Bottom line-it was voted down so we are still following guidelines. I don't know what may be the ultimate right or wrong, but service only lasts about one hour-I think erring on the side of caution is best. I don't like masks but if that is the worst thing we are asked to do, I think life is pretty sweet.

Going to be in Columbus for a couple of nights this week at a work function. Was scheduled for in-person when things looked better. I know the facility well-meeting rooms are large. I will mask while I in the large group for the most part.

Still not smoking. Working on cutting calories back. Have stopped gaining so that is good. Exercise level has ben good. I will get back to my preferred weight in a couple of months.

Appointment with Endo (via telecom) Thursday to go over blood work. Didn't look bad to me. 24 hour urine test had an elevated level that I am not sure of-but I am not familiar with that test.

Off to get ready for Monday since I am still part of the work force!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Ugh a few hours ago had a Vertigo episode and started violently getting ill,it hasnt happened in a long time so I napped it off and am feeling a bit better oof..
    Henri made landfall in Rhode island.. we are getting rain and a little bit of wind

On TV Henri is stalled over central CT, a state of emergency has been declared and the CT National Guard has been called up. Hope it’s not that bad where you are?

Auntiebk from phone
  • grandmallie
    Auntie BK i am in Central Connecticut but its not bad just some rain. Some power outages but more in the eastern part of the state..flooding in some areas.
    Had a lovely dinner with my friends...and am home and tucked in with Alfie
    Feeling alot better.. geesh hope I dont get Vertigo again at least for a long time.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning- 2hrs 51sec, vacuum, dusting, laundry, cut it short, went to see sis in law and bro= 558c