WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    edited August 2021
    Me and the boy are settled in and will pray for the best...
    Im watching a Love Boat marathon and enjoying so much..
    Made ice ,have a bucket of water ready etc...
    Our Electric company here is outrageous the delivery charge is twice what the Electric bill is.. and what the kicker is they say it could be 10-20 days without power now they have back up coming in but there track record isnt good. And I sure hope we dont lose power...
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Me and the boy are settled in and will pray for the best...
    Im watching a Love Boat marathon and enjoying so much..
    Made ice ,have a bucket of water ready etc...
    Our Electric company here is outrageous the delivery charge is twice what the Electric bill is.. and what the kicker is they say it could be 10-20 days without power now they have back up coming in but there track record isnt good. And I sure hope we dont lose power...

Can you fill your bathtub with water? If no tub, the washing machine?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Ok Been so busy at work. Reading mostly but wanted to add the information a few have asked about.

Gallbladder cleanse and more
    So I'm going to break this into 3 sections probably. The cleanse itself. Other related medical information. My personal experience.

The gallbladder cleanse. There is a great book called The amazing liver and gallbladder cleanse it's available via kindle and I think cost about $20. It's an interesting read. Well worth $20.

I have read about lots of different version of this and I adapted my own. I'll list opt. optional or required rq. parts to the cleanse and what they do.

The night before your cleanse clean out your bowels. I do 2 12 oz bottles of magnesium sulfate same as you would before a colonoscopy. RQ. the alternative is a colonic.

2 days of apple juice. 2 cups every 2 hours for a total of 14 cups. No food *see below for opt. into*
    This gives you a bunch of natural malic acid and doesn't trigger your gallbladder because it has no fat. The malic acid helps soften gallstones. believe or not you won't be hungry.

at 6 pm the of the second night I dissolve 4 tablespoons of epsom salts into 24 oz. of warm water. Then drink 6 oz. of this reserving the rest for later. RQ. Epsom salts are known to dilate your bile ducts so this is very important. I drink a little apple juice after this as it is very bitter. OPT.

8pm drink 6 oz. of the epsom salt water. RQ. Rinse with apple juice. OPT.

10 pm I take 4 oz of olive oil and mix it with some fresh squeezed citrus juice either lemon or grapefruit depending on what I have on hand. RQ. This causes strong contractions in your gallbladder.

I lay down very still with my head higher than my stomach. Then try to sleep.

6 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ
    8 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ this is generally when I start seeing stones.

My last cleanse I didn't want all the apple juice so I did a fast and changed out the apple juice is malic acid. I'm not sure it worked as well and I was hungry.

I also have started taking Ox bile tablets, Gold coin grass, and apple cider vinger.

That's it that's the cleanse. I always feel better after but sometimes not for long periods. The general consensus from forums I've read is it works but you have to keep at it 10 - 12 times. SPaced at least 3 weeks apart.

My personal experience. There is lots of information on the net about every kind of item. I was having mostly left side pain, naseau, heavy fatigue. They sent me for an ultrasound and found stones but did not say how big, how many or anything like that. They sent me to a surgeon. I didn't like reading that 30% of people who have the surgery still have problems that their issue isn't necessarily resolved. I asked to go to a gastroentenologiest who told me 40% of people have gallstones and never it know it because they don't always cause problems. I also have fatty liver.

Since my pain was left side and I wasn't in right side pain. I decided to wait and research more. I did a cleanse. I felt better. I waited 2 months started to feel some pain or so and did another one. this goes on for a while and then my GP wants to run a hidascan since I didn't have the surgery. They say my gallbladder functions at 11%.

I was first diagnosed April of 2020. I still occasionally get pain but the majority of my pain is gone. I am feeling better and I think my root problem is insulin resistance. This creates high cholesterol which in turn plays a role into forming gallstones.

When reading and listening to doctors videos about insulin resistance it make so much sense why despite medical advances we are still a sick people. You can track the uptick in lots of diseases with the food that became popular partly due to industrialization and partly due to the USDA recommendations.

Further insulin resistance is best measured by HOMA-IR but most general practitioning doctors only look at fasting blood sugar. By the time your fasting blood sugar is high enough to trigger their next step you most likely have type 2 diabetes. People really should keep track before that.

Lastly if you have never had weight problems you maybe able to eat whatever USDA recommends and be healthy but those of us who have become overweight and then tried dieting to fix it often times this makes you insulin resistant so USDA can certainly work for people whose body hasn't been damaged. But a look at the data shows that the more people by survey (over time) who says they follow the USDA recommendations which are carb heavy the more incidence of diabetes, heart disease and such we have.

Medical disscussion
    Most doctors won't recommend a clease because you may get a gallstone stuck in your duct.
    1. The epsom salt dialates your ducts helping to prevent this.
    2. The same doctors say they don't work but if they don't work, I mean if gallstones don't come out then how would you get a stone stuck?
    3. some people say well you can't get stuff to go up into your gallbladder so the apple juice and stuff isn't going there. Your body recycles 90% of your bile which goes back into your gallbladder and the medicine which does exist (prescription ursodiol which dissolve them slowly over time) So if you can't get stuff in there to help then why is there a prescription medicine that does just that?
    4. many say oh you aren't seeing stones. You are just seeing a soap like mixture make by the olive oil and citrus. Ok sound actually plausible. But I've done 6 of these and my husband being a good trooper has done them with me as support and a why not. For the first 5 I spit out lots of stones and he didn't spit out any. So the one who has stones on her ultrasound spits out soap but not the other guy who is eating/drinking the same exact thing.
    BTW on the 6th cleanse he got a few stones out.

Could I end up at the hospital in pain and needing my gallbladder out due to the cleanse. yes but they already wanted to yank it out.

I really feel they are helping and there are lots of other people who swear they have helped them as well. It isn't a quick fix like surgery.

Surgery makes some people better and great and wonderful. For too large a portion for my liking. It makes it hard to eat protein and fat. It give them diarrhea because the bile now just seeps out constantly into the intestines. For others the pain doesn't go away because it wasn't cause by the gallbladder. Even with your gallbladder out you can still get stones forming in your liver. Look up biliary stones.

I'm not a medical doctor and I don't know where my journey will end but the chinese have been doing some similar things like ox bile, gold coin grass and cleanses for thousands of years as a gallbladder management system. I love modern medicine but I don't know that gallbladder removal is a great idea.

On the other side by not removing it I do increase the odds of getting pancreatitis.

Insulin Resistance
    If you are still reading and interested watch this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dr+ekberg+insulin+resistance&view=detail&mid=06F2C51425564208D09D06F2C51425564208D09D&FORM=VIRE

there is so much more but it's a start.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    Karen, awe, thanks!💖.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    bru1cy56y68h.png
    Went out and picked more raspberries- may freeze these- too many to eat fresh and not enough to make more than about a jar or two of jam.

Yum!!!!!!💖
    Rebecca
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) It feels like a lazy day today but I've walked the dogs for more than two hours resulting in over 11,000 steps and I've ridden the exercise bike for more than two hours so I guess it's not as lazy as I thought.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • JustJenn68
    JustJenn68 Posts: 38 Member
    It is so hot where I live. It was 43 this afternoon with the humidity and more of the same tomorrow and Monday.

I went kayaking in the hopes it would be cooler on than water, but alas, it was not.

Stay safe if you live on the US East Coast.

Tomorrow will be a better day.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    Old MS Ride pic
    ckdcy3gxjb0n.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Cathe X-Train Bi & Tri DVD then went for my walk. I’m getting my time down to 30 minutes. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Minute Slim & Sculpt Pilates DVD.

Am making sourdough waffles for Vince right now

Worked a little on the puzzle today. Getting them at the Salvation Army, I think this puzzle is missing some pieces. We shall see. Well, paying $1.99 versus about $15 is a significant difference. Update: missing about 10 pieces

M – even tho we have a Google calendar, I still use a book calendar that I get every year. I put things in it also like what exercise I’m going to do, what we’ll have for dinner

Julie – I’m so sorry this is happening to you.

Debbie – those raspberries look SOOO good

Had dinner then went for my nightly walk. Feeling somewhat overwhelmed about leaving for FL Wed. But I’ll get thru, it’ll probably only be for a week anyway. Then played mahjongg under the pergola where I have lights so I can play later. This getting dark earlier s***s big time.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    edited August 2021
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Ok Been so busy at work. Reading mostly but wanted to add the information a few have asked about.

So I'm going to break this into 3 sections probably. The cleanse itself. Other related medical information. My personal experience.

The gallbladder cleanse. There is a great book called The amazing liver and gallbladder cleanse it's available via kindle and I think cost about $20. It's an interesting read. Well worth $20.

I have read about lots of different version of this and I adapted my own. I'll list opt. optional or required rq. parts to the cleanse and what they do.

The night before your cleanse clean out your bowels. I do 2 12 oz bottles of magnesium sulfate same as you would before a colonoscopy. RQ. the alternative is a colonic.

2 days of apple juice. 2 cups every 2 hours for a total of 14 cups. No food *see below for opt. into*
    This gives you a bunch of natural malic acid and doesn't trigger your gallbladder because it has no fat. The malic acid helps soften gallstones. believe or not you won't be hungry.

at 6 pm the of the second night I dissolve 4 tablespoons of epsom salts into 24 oz. of warm water. Then drink 6 oz. of this reserving the rest for later. RQ. Epsom salts are known to dilate your bile ducts so this is very important. I drink a little apple juice after this as it is very bitter. OPT.

10 pm I take 4 oz of olive oil and mix it with some fresh squeezed citrus juice either lemon or grapefruit depending on what I have on hand. RQ. This causes strong contractions in your gallbladder.

6 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ

My last cleanse I didn't want all the apple juice so I did a fast and changed out the apple juice is malic acid. I'm not sure it worked as well and I was hungry.

I also have started taking Ox bile tablets, Gold coin grass, and apple cider vinger.

That's it that's the cleanse. I always feel better after but sometimes not for long periods. The general consensus from forums I've read is it works but you have to keep at it 10 - 12 times. SPaced at least 3 weeks apart.

My personal experience. There is lots of information on the net about every kind of item. I was having mostly left side pain, naseau, heavy fatigue. They sent me for an ultrasound and found stones but did not say how big, how many or anything like that. They sent me to a surgeon. I didn't like reading that 30% of people who have the surgery still have problems that their issue isn't necessarily resolved. I asked to go to a gastroentenologiest who told me 40% of people have gallstones and never it know it because they don't always cause problems. I also have fatty liver.

Since my pain was left side and I wasn't in right side pain. I decided to wait and research more. I did a cleanse. I felt better. I waited 2 months started to feel some pain or so and did another one. this goes on for a while and then my GP wants to run a hidascan since I didn't have the surgery. They say my gallbladder functions at 11%.

I was first diagnosed April of 2020. I still occasionally get pain but the majority of my pain is gone. I am feeling better and I think my root problem is insulin resistance. This creates high cholesterol which in turn plays a role into forming gallstones.

When reading and listening to doctors videos about insulin resistance it make so much sense why despite medical advances we are still a sick people. You can track the uptick in lots of diseases with the food that became popular partly due to industrialization and partly due to the USDA recommendations.

Further insulin resistance is best measured by HOMA-IR but most general practitioning doctors only look at fasting blood sugar. By the time your fasting blood sugar is high enough to trigger their next step you most likely have type 2 diabetes. People really should keep track before that.

Lastly if you have never had weight problems you maybe able to eat whatever USDA recommends and be healthy but those of us who have become overweight and then tried dieting to fix it often times this makes you insulin resistant so USDA can certainly work for people whose body hasn't been damaged. But a look at the data shows that the more people by survey (over time) who says they follow the USDA recommendations which are carb heavy the more incidence of diabetes, heart disease and such we have.

Medical disscussion
    Most doctors won't recommend a clease because you may get a gallstone stuck in your duct.
    2. The same doctors say they don't work but if they don't work, I mean if gallstones don't come out then how would you get a stone stuck?
    3. some people say well you can't get stuff to go up into your gallbladder so the apple juice and stuff isn't going there. Your body recycles 90% of your bile which goes back into your gallbladder and the medicine which does exist (prescription ursodiol which dissolve them slowly over time) So if you can't get stuff in there to help then why is there a prescription medicine that does just that?
    4. many say oh you aren't seeing stones. You are just seeing a soap like mixture make by the olive oil and citrus. Ok sound actually plausible. But I've done 6 of these and my husband being a good trooper has done them with me as support and a why not. For the first 5 I spit out lots of stones and he didn't spit out any. So the one who has stones on her ultrasound spits out soap but not the other guy who is eating/drinking the same exact thing.

Could I end up at the hospital in pain and needing my gallbladder out due to the cleanse. yes but they already wanted to yank it out.

I really feel they are helping and there are lots of other people who swear they have helped them as well. It isn't a quick fix like surgery.

Surgery makes some people better and great and wonderful. For too large a portion for my liking. It makes it hard to eat protein and fat. It give them diarrhea because the bile now just seeps out constantly into the intestines. For others the pain doesn't go away because it wasn't cause by the gallbladder. Even with your gallbladder out you can still get stones forming in your liver. Look up biliary stones.

I'm not a medical doctor and I don't know where my journey will end but the chinese have been doing some similar things like ox bile, gold coin grass and cleanses for thousands of years as a gallbladder management system. I love modern medicine but I don't know that gallbladder removal is a great idea.

On the other side by not removing it I do increase the odds of getting pancreatitis.

Insulin Resistance
    If you are still reading and interested watch this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dr+ekberg+insulin+resistance&view=detail&mid=06F2C51425564208D09D06F2C51425564208D09D&FORM=VIRE

Gallstones don't go out the mouth (spitting). If they go out, they go the other direction.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Busy sorting and shredding notes, but now ...

ucy6x4rv9ngz.png

Machka in Oz

I am thinking I'll choose a bright but cloudy day and photograph the calendar pictures I like to use as wallpaper on my desktop.

As for the cards, I think I'd like to look into a photo album situation but I may photograph them as well.

A few years ago, I attached magnets to some and put them on a magnetic whiteboard like this ...
    That was nice for a while but I'd like something a bit more portable.

clxon87bzn86.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    bru1cy56y68h.png
    Went out and picked more raspberries- may freeze these- too many to eat fresh and not enough to make more than about a jar or two of jam.

:):)

We've got about half a dozen raspberry plants now. Last year's crop didn't work out - warm weather hit at a time when we were away and they didn't get watered enough. But I'm hopeful for this year. :)

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    bru1cy56y68h.png

We've got about half a dozen raspberry plants now. Last year's crop didn't work out - warm weather hit at a time when we were away and they didn't get watered enough. But I'm hopeful for this year. :)

M in Oz

I started out with two plants, then bought two more- the first two plants have SPREAD everywhere. Now I have an area that is over 12-14ft long, maybe longer. I have dug up some of them because they were in the middle of my lawn.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    Yyyyyy
  • Machka9
    bru1cy56y68h.png

M in Oz

I started out with two plants, then bought two more- the first two plants have SPREAD everywhere. Now I have an area that is over 12-14ft long, maybe longer. I have dug up some of them because they were in the middle of my lawn.

Ours are in pots so they're contained. If we owned the place we live, we'd likely put them in the ground.

However, we went to a raspberry orchard and found they used pots too, so we figured if they could, we could. :)

Unfortunately, it does mean they need a bit more water, I think.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Old cards and calendar pictures. I saw somewhere the suggestion to put them as lining on inside closet doors (if they are swinging, doors not sliding doors), in walls of visible shelves and closets. I did that once with some art-y printed cards that were given to me by artists I was not close to. I didn't really have a welcome space for them on my walls but I didn't feel ok about tossing them, they were nice in themselves just not to my taste for home decor and not with a personal emotional value, so I kept them on "inside walls" that I could see when opening up pantry closet. I found that a nice solution for a few years till I was read to part ways with them at some point. Sort of like closet wallpaper for visible bits of closet walls.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Kizanne2 - I'm delighted to say that I had my gallbladder out around 2002 and haven't had any problems since. Of course, everyone's experience is different. I was in hospital for two nights, no pain , and back working after a week. It was done telescopically, so no scars now.
    There is no way I could have continued with the agonising attacks of pain I was having.
    I have never had blood sugar problems and chloresterol was normal then. Now it has crept up very slightly, but not enough for medication. My digestion is excellent and I eat everything I want to. No problems with fat or protein.
    My only problem, which I think is genetic, is that my liver takes too much iron out of my blood. I am borderline with this. Doctor is watching it. Liver function fine.
    Of course, in the UK, medical treatment is free, so my hospital stay, in a single room, (!!!) (don't know how that happened) was free. They did it fairly quickly after my last attack on the train,which caused all sorts of emergency kerfuffle. :p:p
    I've also had a total hysterectomy 1998, (with bi lateral thing) so there's not much left of me to go wrong. Oh, and breast cancer 2007.

I've certainly had my money's worth from the NHS. Plus the babies.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    rjv230 wrote: »
    I’m 70, a widow after 50 years together, and only 4’9”. My nutritionist says pretty Impossible for me to lose the weight I gained in last 3 years. I want to lose at least 10 lbs. my size and age, she says, means I can only eat 1000 calories a day! And that is with exercise and possibly ONLY losing 1/2 lb a week! I am trying to keep the calorie count. Don’t think this is the way. Any stories, suggestions, success will help. I feel defeated. Can I lose and still eat and have energy?

RJV I think having a baseline of 1000 calories a day is reasonable for someone of very small stature and past 50.
    I was on threads for "petites" (5'3" and under I think) and some definitely had to go lower than usual to lose or maintain, and seemed to do that very healthily. one reason there was a "petites" thread is because many of us had to go under the usual recommended amount of calories to lose or maintain. When I 1st started WW online there was no way I could lose with the recently retweaked plan they had. They gave us 36 "points" per day (minimum 29 points per day) and "36" weekly points. I could not lose with the 36 points and had to have an average of 27 points and no weeklies, to lose just under a pound a week. I'm 5'2" and I was about 47 years old. I actually put 1000 as the baseline on mine but count all activity towards calories out including cleaning. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, that one or two other people said they have 1000 or 1100 and don't count calories out from activities.

I find a weekly approach works much better. That was one of the great parts of WW online in my opinion- leaving place for a splurge or two per week, whether it be a meal out or a lush dessert or whatever.

Some here do intermittent fasting.
    Others do keto.
    I have tried those both a bit but don't feel comfortable with them.
    There's likely to be a bit of trial and error.
    I've been challenged since I can't run anymore. It was a great calorie burner and metabolism booster.
    Welcome!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    Well its 3 am and have been awake for an hr.. oh well the hurricane has shifted more to the East we will still get alot of rain but more of the eastern part of the state and Rhode Island and the Cape will get the brunt of it it is a catogory 1 but we will have rain for a couple days
  • Machka9
    edited August 2021
    kizanne2 wrote: »

6 am 6 oz epsom salt. RQ

Medical disscussion

Insulin Resistance

2 days of apple juice. 2 cups every 2 hours for a total of 14 cups.

That's 1600 calories of sugar! I'd be so dizzy, I'd have trouble standing up!

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2075/2