Less Alcohol ~ AUGUST 2021 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,560 Member
    Options
    @Lilylady3k my husband was not taking off work from his job this week, only I was. But that ship has sailed. And no he never helps me in my line of work, not his thing.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Nice hearing about everyone's weekend. We had a quiet lazy one. I thought we were going to the lake, but DH didn't want to so we lounged around Saturday planning a trip to Italy. DH bought cheap flights direct to Rome. Considering the ongoing pandemic, I have no idea if we will be able to travel as planned, but I do know this: if we plan nothing we will go nowhere. A while back he asked if I could go anywhere, where would it be off the top of my head. Without hesitation I responded Mallorca-Valencia-Barcelona. (So I was especially interested in @Stockholm_Andy's photos!) I allowed maybe also adding Marrakesh depending on how much time we had. He said that sounded complicated; what about Italy? TBH, I think the Stanley Tucci series really got to him. Anywhoo, Italy it is.

Sunday we peeled & seeded 1-1/9 bushel of hatch green chiles. I think that's 25-26 lbs. It takes 2+ exhausting hours standing elbow-to-elbow at the kitchen sink, but we stocked the freezer and will enjoy them for a whole year. I'm so glad to have someone with whom to share that task. After finishing we had a margarita. I know what you mean, @Womona, about sometimes enjoying a mocktail just as much as an alcoholic drink. After the margarita, which I did enjoy, I squeezed a lime in my glass and added a splash of OJ (because I had some in the fridge from making an orange tart my mom wanted for her birthday) and topped it off with Fresca. It was a pretty good mock marg, and that's coming from one who is insufferably picky about margaritas. I can honestly say I enjoyed it as much as the real thing. Cheers!

DH is no longer AF for August, but he's pretty mellow. We split a bottle of wine Friday and another one Saturday and then a margarita Sunday. Well, mellow compared to some of our past exploits anyway. I would be happy with this level of weekly consumption if we could make it our new normal.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 - I know! I've been wanting to plan a trip to Italy after watching the Stanley Tucci series, too. Enjoy your experience and go with the flow sounds wonderful right now ... any place but home LOL!
  • GiveHerGrace
    GiveHerGrace Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    August goal - at least 2 AF days for every 1 drinking day (So 21 AF and 10 drinks days max). On the drinks days I plan to have no more than 2. ***Revised Goal for August - More AF days than drinks days ***

First 2 weeks of August
    8/1 - 8/22 9 AF, 13 drinking days
    8/23 AF

• Healthymumlife
    Healthymumlife Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @Healthymumlife I've actually had vodka and wine mixed together before, and it's not as bleh as you would think!
    I don't think it would be bleh, I'd just rather it with coke no sugar lol
    I used to like vodka mixed with lager and lemonade .. a shandy with a kick :blush:

• Healthymumlife
    Healthymumlife Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can't recall who suggested I look for good AF beer at one of the many local craft breweries here, but I found a winner! Hoppy, flavorful, and less than 100 cal. 'Strapless IPA' will now be in my rotation. Now if they could just figure out AF wine! Seriously, I tried many this month and all we're not drinkable, even the ones that cost the same as the real stuff.

I've just found a AF beer I like. Like you, I've tried a few wines and fortunately found a sparkling white that I like but many taste too much like apple juice for me. I'd love to find a sparkling rose or a shiraz but I haven't yet .. the ones I tried tasted like drinking black current juice and I'd rather not waste my calories on them.