WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Pip - Your mom is/was a beauty. So are you.⭐️

Tracey – Ember is a cute dog. Some people are fearful of dogs. I’ve never really understood why that is true. I suppose some have a bad experience with a biter, but that has never happened to me. :noway:

RV Rita - I put hydrogen peroxide on my knee and it is healing very well. :star:

I have been watching adventure and veterinarian shows the past while. Seeing the animal shows is a mixed blessing. I miss my dog and will have to wait until after our trip to VA to look for another pup. I'll be writing Santa with a one item list—I want a puppy for Christmas, or New Years, or . . .

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Laundry in the dryer and Alfie and I hanging out.. I was able to secure 2 nights midweek in the middle of September up in Rye New Hampshire oceanfront.. for free.. taking Trudy with me and Im hoping Tom and Elena will watch Alfie .

That sounds perfect. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Come back well rested and take some beautiful pictures(and share them with us)

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I tried to read and catch up last night ,all I have missed since Friday morning, but my eyes were too tired.
    The little family reunion was great- too short of course but enjoyed every minute of it.
    My cousin and I went in and helped mom at the food bank/food program- up at 5 was a little rough but was fun to have more time with Erin.
    The only rough part was I heard from my cousin then my husband(but mom hasn't told me) that she has decided to have a friend move in with her. When I was up there last time she said that JoAnn was going to get a tiny house and move it on the property which I was fine with that. Now, with JoAnn moving in the house, I will not have a room when I go up to help or just visit my mom. JoAnn talks loud and non stop when I have been around her. Dad was always glad when she went home. I will be sleeping on the couch and have no time with just mom and I. No clue where we would sleep if dh and son also went up or if any other family went to visit mom.
    I know, I am being selfish but it was just a shock. I had planned on being up there a lot more than I have and eventually be there half the time. That won't happen if she moves in.
    She is moving in because the place she has been living the owner's kids are going to sell it- she lived and worked on the property but then the owner died and then her husband died. She has no kids.
    She is good company for mom and drives her to shop when she wants. Mom can still drive but JoAnn prefers to drive.
    I don't know when or even if this is happening but was just a shock. I had finally been able to have time just one on one with mom and now that is going to be gone. Her choice and I just have to go with it.

Going to church in a bit- don't think DH is going with me- he is tired plus he doesn't like that no one wears masks,even though in that town it is mandatory.
    After that, if it isn't too hot, I will do a little gardening- I did water last night- everything was dry- 105 on our drive home yesterday afternoon. Not supposed to be quite as hot today but we will see.

On a good note, beings we weren't here to put more cat food out Friday night(they got fed at noon), looks like the coon family have moved on. Maybe lack of free meal or the two pit bulls in the yard behind them that chased them up the trees a few times that helped- just glad they are gone.

Ok- time to catch up on reading here while having my tea then get ready for church. Just over 40 min til I have to leave

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

I'm sorry about that. I guess you could tell your mom how you feel. maybe there are ways you can work out one on one time with your mom. It's not quite the same but my dad remarried quite late and I never felt I could have a non-surveyed conversation with him with his 2nd wife. I was finally able to negotiate going out for coffee or meals or something with him, until quite late in his life. it became harder and harder as he got older. I felt quite comfortable spending time with my dad and talking with him but not so when he was with 2nd wife...

if she is good company for your mom with no down side ---- that seems ok, for your mom - it must be hard to be alone. I'm sure it was good for my dad to have someone to love and who loved him for the last 20 years of his life even if she was not really my cup of tea and if I didn't feel that comfortable with him. but I only visited 1x a year (since I live on another continent). I surely would have stayed over and visited more had I felt comfortable at his place like before - my siblings too. if you really had plans to be there half time -- that won't happen. - it might be worth speaking to your mom about that...

if the room is unused, it's understandable that they choose to make use of it. but if they have means to build a tiny house - and you intend to be there half - time -- that is all worth discussing. these are important things to look at together.

Thanks for the insight-
    I know mom thinks it will all be great, no downside.
    She even said she guessed she would have to learn to like hockey(mom has never ever had any interest in any sports,except the Olympics.
    I mentioned to DH about getting a small motor home to have up there for me to have a space and he said that was too drastic. He doesn't think/realize that I am serious about being up there a lot more. I have no reason to be down here really. Doesn't seem to matter to him either way.
    I don't know what will happen- they may try it and it won't work out. Yes they are friends but it is different to live with someone who is so different.
    It is her choice and I just will have to go with it. It would have been nice to hear it from her instead of second hand.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Good evening:

Caught up again. Sorry for those with health issues right now-there certainly seems to be a wide variety. We could probably list symptoms and diagnose each other for a wide variety of things! Healing thoughts to all.

News in part of the world is I went to two day work meeting in Columbus. We received an email late Friday afternoon that someone at the meeting received positive Covid results Friday. This morning I checked work emails and discovered late yesterday they sent me one and notified me I had been identified as a close contact. Well crap.
    So, when I left work Friday I stopped and got antibiotic for uti (tested when I got home to confirm). Had body aches (wrote that off to uti) and messed up sinuses (wrote that off to hotel ac). Son came over Saturday and removed most of basement ceiling for me (I helped clean up and let him use muscles).

Air conditioner (which has been on edge of dieing) did so Saturday late afternoon. Friend who is installing my new (back order due to covid-we were trying to beat ac or furnace of completely going out) said he would be over today to see if there is a temporary fix.

Wake up this am feel like crap-sinus and aches, uti symptoms a bit better. Given the news that someone at conference had covid decided not to go to church. A bit later (after I take some severe sinus/cold medicine), I check emails from work.

AC can't be revived. He is picking up something tomorrow to provide temporary relief. Thankfully is it cooling off the next few days so I will just keep windows open and use whole house fan and tower fans.

Been in touch with my local Health Commissioner (might as well use contacts occasionally), he advised me on where he would go to get tested. Will make call in morning to schedule testing - meanwhile will work from home.

I can't remember if anyone in this group in in the path of Ida. I remember someone saying family may be evacuating to them. This just looks horrible. Has cut back on my whining about lack of AC. I can't believe it reversed the flow of the Mississippi River.

Hope everyone stays safe. Seems like there is all sorts of stuff out there reminding us we are in charge of very little.

Ginny in Ohio

Hope your tests come back negative. And the feeling bad goes away soon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did stretching DVD today then walked about a mile around the parking lot. At least one of these days I’ll get my steps in! The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD

You know, to me August in FL really isn’t all that bad. Maybe I’m just getting used to the heat living in NC. Maybe….I can talk Vince into coming down here for about 2 weeks next August. Well, I can hope, can’t I???

Tracey – what a lovely couple, and your daughter looks beautiful

Beth – when it rains, it pours! Feel better fast. Thank goodness those people at the church are helping with the meals! Can they maybe also help with cleaning?

Allie – SCORE on that vacation. It may only be two days, but two days for free...lucky you. I’m sure Tom will watch Alfie

Made HB eggs in the IP. Vince is putting together this space shuttle he made in ceramics 3 YEARS AGO (yes, years). Probably only because I hounded him to bring it down here.

Looks cloudy outside, but that won’t deter me from laying out in the sun. Off to the pool…..

Vince just got a text from Denise. a few days ago PJ tested positive for coronovirus. He can’t go to the day care for 14 days. I’m wondering who is watching him since she is probably still working since she’s been vaccinated. She said that Pete has a fever. Well, the last time we were there he said that he hadn’t been vaccinated. I was a little surprised but that’s his decision. Maria has scleroderma. I’m pretty sure Pete said that she’d been vaccinated...but still. I'm willing to bet she's watching PJ. Heaven forbid something happens to her, even minor.

I know this is just the worry-wort mother in me, but I don’t know about this day care place. They were closed for 2 weeks in December because employees and children tested positive. Now PJ is positive and Denise said that 2 of the other kids along with a teacher have tested positive. Well, by the time we get back from FL, his 14 days of not being able to go there will be over.

Debbie – maybe your mom feels guilty that she’s taking you away from your family and sees JoAnn moving in as a solution. Was that your childhood home? If so, maybe you know someone who you can spend the night with

pip – your mom doesn’t look very happy in that picture, but she is a lovely looking lady

Rebecca – you all look so happy! How wonderful!

Flea – (((HUG))) Thanks for keeping us updated

Ginny OH – I do hope you get good results from the test.

Took a walk around the mall across the street. At least today I got my steps in!

Michele in FL
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Question: that drawer under the oven, does it have a specific reason except for storage?

Michele in FL
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip - Your mom is/was a beauty. So are you.⭐️

Tracey – Ember is a cute dog. Some people are fearful of dogs. I’ve never really understood why that is true. I suppose some have a bad experience with a biter, but that has never happened to me. :noway:

RV Rita - I put hydrogen peroxide on my knee and it is healing very well. :star:

I have been watching adventure and veterinarian shows the past while. Seeing the animal shows is a mixed blessing. I miss my dog and will have to wait until after our trip to VA to look for another pup. I'll be writing Santa with a one item list—I want a puppy for Christmas, or New Years, or . . .

Katla

Awww thx
  • pipcd34
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did stretching DVD today then walked about a mile around the parking lot. At least one of these days I’ll get my steps in! The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD

You know, to me August in FL really isn’t all that bad. Maybe I’m just getting used to the heat living in NC. Maybe….I can talk Vince into coming down here for about 2 weeks next August. Well, I can hope, can’t I???

Beth – when it rains, it pours! Feel better fast. Thank goodness those people at the church are helping with the meals! Can they maybe also help with cleaning?

Allie – SCORE on that vacation. It may only be two days, but two days for free...lucky you. I’m sure Tom will watch Alfie

Made HB eggs in the IP. Vince is putting together this space shuttle he made in ceramics 3 YEARS AGO (yes, years). Probably only because I hounded him to bring it down here.

Looks cloudy outside, but that won’t deter me from laying out in the sun. Off to the pool…..

Vince just got a text from Denise. a few days ago PJ tested positive for coronovirus. He can’t go to the day care for 14 days. I’m wondering who is watching him since she is probably still working since she’s been vaccinated. She said that Pete has a fever. Well, the last time we were there he said that he hadn’t been vaccinated. I was a little surprised but that’s his decision. Maria has scleroderma. I’m pretty sure Pete said that she’d been vaccinated...but still. I'm willing to bet she's watching PJ. Heaven forbid something happens to her, even minor.

I know this is just the worry-wort mother in me, but I don’t know about this day care place. They were closed for 2 weeks in December because employees and children tested positive. Now PJ is positive and Denise said that 2 of the other kids along with a teacher have tested positive. Well, by the time we get back from FL, his 14 days of not being able to go there will be over.

Debbie – maybe your mom feels guilty that she’s taking you away from your family and sees JoAnn moving in as a solution. Was that your childhood home? If so, maybe you know someone who you can spend the night with

pip – your mom doesn’t look very happy in that picture, but she is a lovely looking lady

Took a walk around the mall across the street. At least today I got my steps in!

Michele in FL

No she doesn’t does she . Next time I c her I’m gonna ask her. She was in her early 20’s there. She had me at 23 so she would have had 7 of us by then. I’m gonna ask, but that would make anyone sad, having all those rugrats so young
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Question: that drawer under the oven, does it have a specific reason except for storage?

Michele in FL

I don't have a drawer under my oven.
  • Machka9
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Peach1948 (Carol) - Happy Anniversary! I would have organised a celebration of some sort, even just ordering food in.

@bwcetc (Beth) - I hope your calf is OK and the rest of the leg heals. Do rest!

Regarding meals ...

I don't consider myself any sort of cook. I assemble food (like a sandwich) and can heat a few things in the microwave. My husband is the cook but when he had his accident, he forgot a lot of his cooking experience. He was happy to resume cooking dinners again, but I had to teach him / remind him of what he used to do. Me! The one who doesn't cook!

So I figure if I can not only put together food for me to eat while he was in hospital for 3 months, but also teach him how to make dinners ... anyone can! :smiley:

Lately, I've been doing chicken mince meals about every other week ... I cook a double or triple batch of something in my slow cooker or new electric frying pan (yes, those are MY two pieces of kitchen equipment!), we have one meal of it, and then I freeze the rest for another meal. I'm trying to build up extras in case we need them.

I also boil and shred chicken breasts and freeze that meat to go into canned soups and other packaged/frozen meals to pad them out with a bit of quick protein.

However, you can do a lot with a frozen or packaged dinner of some sort and steamed from frozen veggies as a side or mixed in. :)

Regarding Hurricane Ida ... it's close to where my brother lives. His area will not get a direct hit (like they did with the hurricanes last year) but will likely get a lot of wind and rain anyway.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Three cheers for your computer being fixed!!!!! :star:

Michele – Our primary stove includes a gas top for cooking and an electric oven below. We have loved it for a long time. :bigsmile: We have a drawer below the oven for lids that go with our pots & pans. :wink:

Machka - I hope your brother is safe. Our son has a longtime friend who lives in Louisiana. I hope they are okay and your brother is safe, too. :heart:

Beth near Buffalo -Your friends and neighbors are caring. I hope your many blessings help you along. I hope you have good news from the doctor.

Katla in NW Oregon.
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Michele in FL

My mom knows how much I need to get away from here. She knows most of what is going on down here(but not all) so she knows I am there to help her but also a place that I can have a little peace.
    Yes, it is my childhood home but most of my friends have all moved away. I do have one friend that lives kind of close to mom but I wouldn't want to impose so much.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Almost spring and today is a lovely day ... so I decided to do a 1 hour walk at lunch. :) Evidently I walk 5.5 km/hour!

br3m6cndlq0d.png

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Uuuuu