August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Personal Run around the Earth:
    18755.23 miles completed
    6146.77 miles to get home (predicted by December 2022)
    πŸŒŽπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ
    😲🀯
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: Β»
    I wrapped up the month with a 6 mile run last night. It started out as a slog. My first run interval was only a quarter mile, but after that warm up I was able to knock out run intervals of 1.2 and then 1.6 miles. So, I am getting (slowly) closer to a full run. There was a very, very slight pain in my PF at mile 4 but it never got worse and it's fine now.

Who are our bird experts here? As I ran around a nearby pond I noticed several birds flying which, from a distance looked like really large doves (but too big to be doves). I little later another bunch flew right over me. Now they looked like small raptors. The distinguishing feature was a white stripe on the bottom of each wing starting at the front edge and going back, parallel with the body. I've been trying to find this pattern in a bird identification guide but no luck. Another characteristic was that while they were flying together, they were not in any sort of formation. More like strangers who happen to be going the same way rather than friends walking side by side, if that makes sense. (eta: I figured it out. These were nighthawks, which are actually neither hawks nor are they nocturnal. Apparently they were on their way to South America for the winter)

Recovery day today in preparation for a race tomorrow. It's the first in a series of 4 races at a nearby park. The first two are 4 miles and the last two are 5k. I paid just $80 for all 4 races and get a lightweight hoodie and snacks and beer with each race.

@rheddmobile seems to know a lot of birds, animals, and bugs.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I often wonder where Garmin gets it's weather information from too. I know it can be several degrees off from the thermometer on my porch. Most of the time I just go with what Garmin says and use it to compare what it was during other runs...assuming that it is consistent in where it gets it's info from and that it is somewhat close by. But, who knows.

@martaindale Yeah, 8 miles 2 months out seems like a lot. Enjoy your family holiday!

@RunsOnEspresso Haha I always have coffee before my morning runs, but I wait until I have already gone to the bathroom before I head out for my run. I guess maybe that is why I find it difficult to get out early enough. Humm. Congrats on your highest mileage month!

@Tramboman I'm glad you figured out what is causing your hip pain, but not sure that is good news for you. I hope you can change the swing a bit to help. I don't golf, so I dont' know.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I often wonder where Garmin gets it's weather information from too. I know it can be several degrees off from the thermometer on my porch. Most of the time I just go with what Garmin says and use it to compare what it was during other runs...assuming that it is consistent in where it gets it's info from and that it is somewhat close by. But, who knows.

@martaindale Yeah, 8 miles 2 months out seems like a lot. Enjoy your family holiday!

@RunsOnEspresso Haha I always have coffee before my morning runs, but I wait until I have already gone to the bathroom before I head out for my run. I guess maybe that is why I find it difficult to get out early enough. Humm. Congrats on your highest mileage month!

@Tramboman I'm glad you figured out what is causing your hip pain, but not sure that is good news for you. I hope you can change the swing a bit to help. I don't golf, so I dont' know.

Won't be long before golf is over for the year. Until then, I'll have to live with it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I usually go before I head out but apparently it didn't matter the other day lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

@katharmonic – With all the hiking you have been doing, I would not worry about running miles. It’s all about being healthy and fit and living and you have been living girlfriend! I got nervous just reading about the climb on the cliffs! What a long day you had but so rewarding!

Thank you @teresa502 and @WhatMeRunning, I needed to hear that and appreciate it! And thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my hike.