WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Some of what we saw today at the 150th Anniversary of Tasmanian Railway today. :)

Rail car
    Steam engine
    Model railway

514w7j8k0w93.png

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Well I tried calling my brother went straight to voicemail which is normal either his phone is messed up or he has it turned off. Oh well I did my part.I tried to call and wish him a Happy Birthday and and texted him also to no avail.. ya snooze ya lose.
    Went to Wal-Mart and picked up my groceries and home now
    Put most of them away and will lie down for a bit,us ladies are getting together tonight for dinner so at least it gets me out for a few laughs
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We have a bright sunshiny morning and a project to begin in our master bathroom— DH likes having a showerhead with a hose. The original hose split after 24 years. We bought a new hose yesterday and plan to install it today. :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Hello all! Happy Saturday! It has been a busy week and I have been lacking sleep due to being up later, un-decorating and redecorating my house, each night for the different holidays. (The little ones had a ball this week, btw) Last night, I left the Christmas decorations up, had wine, watched a movie and listened to some music, talked to my daughter and before I knew it, it was midnight. I ended up sleeping in until 8:45 this morning! I woke at 5:00 (and again an hour later) but just rolled over and went back to sleep. Windows open, cool temps, birds...perfect for staying in bed!
    I have a weekend of getting rid of the tree in my back yard. Now that Colin is back from his trip to Colorado, he will work the chainsaw and I will do a lot of the branch, limb removal. Tim is planning to help; I just don't want him to over-do it. He is very hard to deal with when he is in a lot of pain.
    Debbie- I love your impromptu picnic with your daycare girl! That is the stuff they seem to remember! "C" lunch! lol
    Tracey- Hippie party! Fun! Break out the tie-dye and the fringe! Feather boa and beads, pimp hat, army jackets... Your grands look so BIG! I love how end of the school year, the kids are thrilled; then two and a half months later they are just as happy to be going back to school! lol
    Pip- Come on. I know, and you know, you are going to do this. What if you put a gel ice pack on your bike seat while you ride? I like that Kirby is cheering you on. See if you can get some free butt (muscle) massages... >:):p;)
    Allie- I think as families age, grow in number, change, family gatherings change or become non-existent. It is a sad fact of life, sometimes. BUT, I agree with the others, focus on the wonderful memories you have. I LOVE the idea of getting involved in something like the senior center. Remember not to over do or over commit your self. But I think if you gave yourself a couple of things that you feel strongly about; and become involved in them, you will find yourself much more content and feeling back to your normal self. Sending you love! <3
    Tina- I had that happen to my knee before. I had to do a few rounds of heat, ice, elevation for a few weeks. Then one day, I felt a funny pop in my knee and the swelling went down, a couple of days later I had full movement in my knee. I haven't had a problem since (knock wood). Good luck and sending you healing vibes (((hugs)))
    Katla- I feel for you and your family, while you figure out visits during Covid outbreaks. *sigh* This past week, we learned that two little ones in Miguel's childcare room AND his teacher have all tested positive for Covid. It is on the rise in TX. My daughter is very worried for the kids and especially for the new baby (due in Dec). I am pretty sure my October visit is not going to happen. She has already stated that I will have to be masked during visits regardless of whether I am vaccinated or not. They will not be having my son in law's mom come up for the birth. She is in her 70s, would have to travel by bus (bc she doesn't fly or drive) and it is a 20 hour trip. Hard for her. Then she would also need to mask during her visit with the boys. She is not happy about that. I am not either, but I am used to it due to my work.
    Machka- your stair climbing is an inspiration to me. I only have one flight of stairs in my home. They lead to/from the basement and I rarely need to go down there; but I am considering beginning a stair challenge for myself.
    Heather- Your entranceway is LOVELY! I bet it is nice to see how the light hits it during different times of the day! Your son looks happy and healthy! Is he still with the "greyhound girl" ?
    Rebecca- A long day, indeed! But I am happy you and your dh are getting things taken care of! (((hugs)))
    Flea, Cheri, Carol- Hugs to you all! Cheri, how are you doing down there in TX with the covid upswing? Do you find yourself home more? Has it affected your dh's job?

Well, it is almost noon. I need to get my son up so we can get some work done this afternoon. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly) who is thankful for a long weekend!

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Oh Tracey- Bullies are horrible! Extra hugs for your grandson for just wanting to be himself. ALso for his bestie, who does what besties do! She's got his back! Look at those kids on that swing! Sending love!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1st place has been saving up his rides and made one big entry. He is now at 2069.63 … that means I have 300.54 miles now that I have to do before this coming Wednesday to catch up to him. Ugh…I could do it if I rode 100 miles for today, Sunday and Monday but do I want to?? I dunno…. Sad face sore butt.

Would that all be inside?

I've done heaps of 100 mile days outside but I don't know if I'd have the motivation to do it inside!!

Machka in Oz
    all inside
  • pipcd34
    Heather - your son looks so happy! Enjoy your visit.

Allie - I know I won’t do well if/when I’m ever forced into living alone. I have warned my children of this.

Pip - how long does it take to ride 100 Miles? I bet you do it.

Barbie - I saw this and thought of you.2hh18e0nhg5t.jpeg

Machka - I love train museums and shows.

I received a message from my daughter last night telling me my Grandson was bullied on his first day of school. His best friend also has some scratches that the Mom’s are pretty sure she received helping defend/protect him. This makes me sick to my stomach. I don’t and never will understand bullying. I think what bothers me most is I can’t fix it.
    These two defend and protect one another and I think it’s great they have that connection, but I’m sure because of his friendship with her that it became another reason to be a target for the bullies. My Grandson chooses to be himself, and won’t conform to “fit in” which is admirable but makes it hard.

I’m just heartbroken for both of these little innocents. My daughter is calling the principal and teacher on Monday, she is not allowed to go in to speak to them because of Covid restrictions. The kids can’t even mingle with other kids to get away from these bullies, they have to stay within their own class group. It’s a terrible situation. They are in a 5-6 split and it was the 6th graders that were kicking him, he is in grade 5.
    This is the two besties and my granddaughter after school yesterday.
    wau07lrcu0mu.jpeg

Today I am going to start some crafts and projects for our hippie party next weekend I’m excited about that.

Tracey in Edmonton

Well on 8/30 I did 81.2mi in 3 hrs 54min.all in one sitting. When I did 103 miles, I got off a took breaks, I think that was done in 3 separate sessions
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 96 Member
    Heather ~ Great photo of the family. You all look so happy! I also liked the one of your older son in the sea. Your hallway looks so pretty. We have a desk in our living room similar to the one in your entry.

Tracey ~ Your grandson looks so young and innocent. So sorry about the first day of school ending like it did. I taught in a school that was nothing but 5th and 6th graders who came in from 3 different elementary schools. They finally shut it down and had the 5th graders go back to k-5 schools.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    edited September 2021
    Carol- our schools are like that 5-6th grade together.
    I did get a quick text from Sean saying thanks for the text that his phone was acting up ,which it does do alot..
    I did take a little nap and feel a bit more rested
    The weather is just stunning out,bright,sunny and 74 .. my kinda weather
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    RE Classroom bullying—I had a nasty bully in my class when I was teaching 8th grade. The bully tried to harm a younger boy in the boy’s bathroom. The younger boy locked himself inside the bathroom and called his parents. The parents called the school and the boy was rescued.

The older boy was called to the principals’ office. His parents took him out of school. The bully’s dad was also a bully.
    He was unable to bully the principal.

Sad for the bully and happy for the boy who was smart enough to lock himself in the bathroom and call his parents.
  • pipcd34
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Oh Tracey! ... Your grandson was so excited for school and then to have the bullying ... my heart aches along with yours.

Heather ... I love the photo of your older son (knowing what you've shared over the years) and the one later with both your boys and daughter-in-law as well.

Pip ... no, just no to the extra riding. You're already number one in all of our books. I worry you'll overdo and then not be able to complete your ride the way you want. Would you be riding a 100 miles a day if it weren't for this self-imposed competition?

Barbara ... I'm with you ... this place has kept loneliness at bay over the years.

Beautiful fall-ish day here in my neck of the woods. Not able to do anything yet, but I can at least enjoy the scenery outside of my window. My son got up early this morning and had my area all set up for the day. My husband has hurt his back, so all the wheelchair/transfer duties are now my son's. The dog is thoroughly confused at not being allowed near me and he is still being forced to limited exercise until his neutering stitches are removed. Poor Cecil.
    2rp16r2dm7jp.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo

Honestly, probably not
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,435 Member
    Well today was shopping. I bought some Tillamook strawberry frozen custard, and will have a treat later in the week with my strawberry and cream Bailey's💖👍! Bought a rotisserie chicken so will have chicken salad sandwiches, and soup later this week. Today is my leftover Mexican food from the restaurant last week, just took out of freezer. Going to create some kind of taco salad with chips concoction.
    Slept so hard last night. We both did!
    I have weeded out all the scrapbook pages that I think I will use and put the rest up on the buy, sell, and free site on Facebook. A gal is coming on Tues to pick it all up. Its like 4 inches of pages! I even organized into sections, patterns, sports, school, baby, wedding and misc. She is also buying the embossing gun with powders and stamp pad. I realized that I will never put that much effort into my pen pal writing. My sister had this idea that I would like to make cards and sell them. It really isn't my thing, and trying to fit it in my desk area seemed a wee bit like just organizational hoarding. Its all her friends stuff from her changing her craft room into a nursery. So share the wealth. The gal from the for sale site is grateful to have it, and though I gave her the option of paying me or not, she is paying $10 which is the price I had listed on the site. It will go towards my stamp fund mailing out Christmas cards.👍
    Today is the first football game for the Navy Midshipmen, so that should be fun watching that.💖😁⚓
    Have a nice relaxing day ladies!
    Hugs to those that wish them!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1st place has been saving up his rides and made one big entry. He is now at 2069.63 … that means I have 300.54 miles now that I have to do before this coming Wednesday to catch up to him. Ugh…I could do it if I rode 100 miles for today, Sunday and Monday but do I want to?? I dunno…. Sad face sore butt.

Pip,

I kinda think you already answered your own question...

you do know you are The Bomb regardless of what 1st place's priorities and strategies are

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Allie ~ If this makes you feel better...the only Labor Day I really remember is when I was 12 or 13 and everyone who owned a boat in our little community was going to the lake to ski and swim. My mom was mad at my father (as usual) and had me on my knees scrubbing the baseboards in the hallway with AJax. I cried and cried because I wanted to be at the lake. My mother apologized for that 40 yrs later.

Carol in GA

This is an excruciating memory.

I'm so so sorry that happened to you Carol. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Tracey,

Your grandson and his best friend are adorable.

The bullying is worrisome. Your grandson will have to figure out how to deal with the world but he'll need adult help from family and school officials. Bless his Bestie.

Karen in Virginia