WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Favorite Quote - From the Princess Bride. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I also like this one from Princess Bride. I also like:

Ted Lasso, who definitely does not like tea: When asked how he takes his tea--
    "Well, usually I take it right back to the counter, because someone's made a horrible mistake."

And --I have to paraphrase this one because I can't remember exactly, but it's something like "I always thought tea would taste like dirty brown water. (Takes sip) And I was right."

There are so many great Ted Lasso lines. I'm just horrible at remembering things that don't matter and take up memory space in my brain. But that show makes me laugh out loud.

Good news is that I had an eye exam today after hitting my head and I don't have a retinal tear or anything like that. I also have generally healthy eyes with low risk of macular degeneration or glaucoma. I was worried about MD because my grandfather had it. Unfortunately, I have potential dry eyes problem and my reading sight is kind of crappy. The upside of dry eyes is that I HAVE to lie down for 10 minutes a day with a warm compress on my eyes. It makes it pretty much completely dark. It's a nice 10 minutes of solace.

I'm exhausted. I finally get some down time, though it's also limited. Working the next two weeks to get caught up with work again and getting ahead so we can head off to Europe mid-month.

Tina in CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    ((Rita))) - You are in a challenging situation. I hope the book you are reading gives you good ideas and insight for dealing with your DH. :heart:

Rebecca – You live in a loving extended family situation, and I think you are lucky for that. On the other hand, providing food that works for each family member takes careful planning and shopping. I think you are doing amazingly well. WTG!!!.

We started the day in fog but it is now sunny and lovely. I have filled the hummingbird feeders with sugar water and they are drinking it down.

Katla

Awe, I appreciate your nice words. Its interesting to notice that I am finally eating what I want. For many years I never gave it a thought. I'd just ate whatever husband and kids wanted. Sometimes my meals were just bits and pieces of meals others didn't finish. I know now that I do have my own tastes, and its different than husbands or son's. I think the Navy killed my husbands taste buds, some meals are just," no, I will fix it, but I am not eating it". Like Hamburger Helper.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bananas & Rita - We bought cbd oil for our sweet old dog & it helped combatting pain from cancer. He also had pain meds from the veterinarian. He has passed away and we miss our pup. CBD oil has a calming effect and might be helpful for pain or anxiety.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    Ii
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,212 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    Hello all :smile: I've been on mfp before on and off. Over the summer both my husb and myself had stents put in which snowballed dietary changes. He quit smoking and is withdrawing still. I'm working on portion control and mentally craving anything sweet.

Started my winter garden and begun to rehab a steamer trunk that have had in the garage for the last 20 years.

pantry, frig, freezer organized? Out kitchen was redone over pandemic and is now significantly larger than before. Many more cabinets. In the pantry, it's by useage - one shelf w/grains (oatmeal, quinoa, rice), another w/things I use for baking, canned goods. Husb had complaint that could never find anything (he has a thing about anything looking cluttered) so trying to simplify contents has been an issue. We plan?? to move out of state in 3 years so can't make up my mind about all my good china, dishes which takes up significant space in these cupboards and is rarely used.

Enjoy the weekend!
    Linda in L.A.

I took a hard look at items in my house, and things that I was not using, but just took up space, went. I either sold in our local Facebook for sale site, or I just had it for free. If you have items you only use with company, or a specific time I would not have them in the same area as your daily use items. I keep the baking stuff away from the general pantry stuff. If I am making dinner, no sense to be moving the flour canister to get at a can of peas. Streamline, your process. Make it easy for yourself. Nice to meet you Linda in LA. Spent many a years in California.👍. Lived in Alhambra, Long Beach, Alameda, Pleasant Hill, Vallejo, Vacaville, Pittsburgh, Fairfield, and a couple more I am probably leaving out!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Linda in LA ~ Welcome! Sounds like you have a fantastic kitchen and really organized. I have beautiful china, crystal, and silverware which I never use. Haven't used in probably 5 yrs. What's strange is that most young families today are not interested in this stuff. Society has changed.

Rebecca ~ I am really happy that you are able to separate your foods from you husband's and son's. You get to eat whatever you want and do not have to worry that it may be something they are not interested in eating.

My son turned 46 today. Can hardly believe it... ;) We are meeting at a restaurant near his home for dinner. It will be the first time we have seen the family since August 28th because his family (vaccinated) went through break through Covid in September.

Carol in GA

Enjoy your restaurant outting! Husband took me to Applebee's and we had a marvelous time last night. Both had steak, and we shared a salad. Happy Birthday to your son!!!!!🎂🎉
    Rebecca
    WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 29min 23sec, 49elev, 3.41ap, 89ahr, 107mhr, 5.08mi= 454c
    Strava app= 616c
    Zwift home bike trainer- 16.28min 53elev, 109aw, 65arpm, 112ahr, 155mhr, 18.78amph, 5.05mi= 136c
    Zwift app= 103c
    Walk to gym- 10.57min, .53mi= 53c
    Strava app= 65c
    Treadmill jog- 47.43min, 9.49min mi, 149ahr, 171mhr, 6.1sp for 1st 10min, 6.3 2nd 10min, 6.5sp 3rd 10min, 6.2sp 4th 10min, 6.4-6.6 for the rest, 5mi= 497c
    Walk to store then home- 16.21min, .72mi= 75c
    Strava app= 87c

Total cal 1243

Thanks for the comments on the patio, can’t wait til the process is complete :0)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,359 Member
    Options
    Work today then going to get my booster. I think if I get it at CVS before Sunday I get $5 off future purchases. If not...at least I still have my booster. Then I have to go to WalMart to get meat for this weekend. They didn’t have what I wanted at Aldi yesterday. Hopefully, I can do the 10 Minute Solution Tummy Toner DVD. If not...well. The plan for tomorrow is to definitely do a DVD on the rebounder since I don’t have work

Worked then the soup kitchen. Then went and got my booster shot. Had to go to Michael’s for shells for the “risque” mermaid, Hobby Lobby to pick up buttons I had ordered then WalMart to do some food shopping for this weekend.

I don’t think I’ll be able to get any formal exercise in today, but definitely tomorrow

I tell you, this working 5 days/week is putting a cramp in my style….lol I just have to learn to work around things, that’s all.

Pip – those stampers make it look like you have pavers but you won’t have the weed issue. Win-win

katla – yes, it was hard losing my mother at a young age. Especially in my teen years. There wasn’t anyone to show me things like how to shave my legs, put on makeup, etc. But on the positive, I think in some ways it was a blessing in disguise. Today I’m much more independent. Well, I’ve always had to depend on myself so I am more attuned to making friends and being prepared for things. After school (remember, there wasn’t any daycare back then) I would go to a friend’s house. After Vince and I got married and bought our first house Carol said to me “why did you move so far away”. Well, she got married for the second time and guess where they built a house? A few blocks from me! It just took her longer to be able to move.

Linda – welcome!

With it being rainy, I’m not even getting in my steps!

Tina – great news about your eyes

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    (((Rita))) Prayering you can get support for dealing with DH.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,764 Member
    Options
    Machka - I love your “getting to know you questions. Most times I have to do some thinking to know what my favourite of whatever is.
    The movie quote that makes me laugh whenever I think of it is from Toy Story Woody (I think) said “you want a piece of me”, the two year old I was babysitting at the time went around raising his little arm in the air saying “you want a piece of meat”. That little boy married two weeks ago.

Rebecca - I have learned I am the same as you, I need very little space. Our food is all stored together and it’s a “free for all”. There is a lower cabinet that are houses the Grand snacks. Hubby breaks into that one once in a while I never do.

Im with you on Hambrger Helper, I won’t make it either though. lol

Rita - my heart hurts for you. Dementia is such a complicated disease there are so many forms of it. I went to a seminar just before Covid hit and was shocked at some of the symptoms, behaviours and types.

Carol - I was never really into china but have collected Crystal since I was 16. I do have my grandmother and great grandmothers every day dishes that have withstood the rest of time. I use one set for Christmas and the other for Thanksgiving and switch it up on other occasions. I have had some drinks in my Crystal just to use it.

My love of Crystal happened when I was very young. My Grandmother had four glasses in her cupboard that she had gotten out of Duz soap. They were very pretty and I used to pretend I was drinking champagne out of Crystal. My champagne was ginger ale. I grew up on Dallas, Dynasty and other soaps.
    When I was 16 my Dad built me a hope chest and my grandmother bought me 4 glasses to start filling it with. I haven’t had a piece bought for me in years.

My eldest daughter has laid claim to most of it. My youngest wants other things.

Kim - those clients can be difficult good luck. My Mom never taught me things like that either. My best friends Mom taught me at the same time she talked to all of her girls about makeup, becoming a woman, etc. My other best friend’s mom taught me about being safe sexually, not to rush into anything, warned about drugs and alcohol. My Mom was wonderful but she was and still is very innocent and childlike almost. She would do anything for me though, even to my own detriment at times.

I agree maybe not having that closeness then doesn’t allow the closeness now.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Oooooo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri - I love the Master Yoda quotation, TRY. :star:

Linda in LA – Welcome!

Kim and Michele - My mom gave me a booklet about menstruation to read. She was too embarrassed to talk about it. Our elementary school principal brought all the 6th grade girls together for a movie. It was an animated film that did a good job. She answered questions and made us feel safe. Years later she was in the hospital in Eugene OR right across the street from the University of Oregon campus. Several of her former elementary students were there, including me. We all went to visit her in the hospital, one or two at a time. She was a very special woman. :heart:

(((Rita))) – Add my prayers. I hope you find support for yourself as you try to deal with your husband’s problems. :star:

Tomorrow we are scheduled for a third dose of Pfizer Vaccine. We are planning to travel in the near future and this will help us stay a bit safer from CoVid. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Linda in LA ~ Welcome! Sounds like you have a fantastic kitchen and really organized. I have beautiful china, crystal, and silverware which I never use. Haven't used in probably 5 yrs. What's strange is that most young families today are not interested in this stuff. Society has changed.

Rebecca ~ I am really happy that you are able to separate your foods from you husband's and son's. You get to eat whatever you want and do not have to worry that it may be something they are not interested in eating.

My son turned 46 today. Can hardly believe it... ;) We are meeting at a restaurant near his home for dinner. It will be the first time we have seen the family since August 28th because his family (vaccinated) went through break through Covid in September.

Carol in GA

I have a set of China I got when living on base with hubby #1 (very beautiful got it super cheap because they never took it out of the brown card board box and just kept marking it down more and more at the Exchange- got it for $12 for the full set- pretty with gold trim)
    I have a set that my grandmother had that she wanted me to have. I have used it a few times. If we ate together more often I would use it more. I have no idea if who ever son ends up marrying will want it. It is a HUGE set with the serving trays and service for 20- it has pretty purple violets on them. We used them for holiday meals at her house when I was a kid.
    I have a set of silverware that current MIL gave us- it has never been used- still in the case. Forgot it was there until recently

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Michele –“yes, it was hard losing my mother at a young age. Especially in my teen years. There wasn’t anyone to show me things like how to shave my legs, put on makeup, etc” I am sorry for your loss Michele, but I had a mom and she didn’t help me with any of those things – she did not even explain menstruation to me – she just told me to go to the library and look it up. I am sure it is part of why we are not as close as she wishes we were. Books are great but not as good as the human connection on those type of issues.

It felt cold here today – it was 61 F (16 C) which is a bit cool, but it was very windy so it felt much cooler. I am still harvesting from the garden (it is quickly ending) I brought in beets, onions and yellow squash added carrot, potato, pepper and mushrooms – roasted it all (helped warm the house) and that was dinner… One of my favorites.

The business continues to be very busy, but I did limit evening appointments today, and worked on some things that were more “fun” and less rote it feels good to have gotten a bit of a break. Back at it tomorrow.
    I get to meet with a client tomorrow who is a graphic designer and by in large they have a hard time “getting” embroidery. Embroidery thread colors are not locked to the Pantone Colors and not all the print fonts are available and even if they are they have been named something unique. Thread is not as “control-able” as ink, and you can not get as fine a line, or little dots…I have learned that is much closer to Tattoo from the quantity of detail you can put in a design. I have already been warned that this particular gal is VERY exacting and happy to tell you that you are wrong. I am hoping that it goes smoothly. Her son is asking me to do his letter jacket – which he is paying for but mom feels she needs to be involved. Oh my….

Smiles Kim in N. California

Michèle I'm sorry you lost your mom so young.

Kim same here, my mother didn't wear makeup nor shave her legs. She was very obese before that was common and totally out of the loop on that level to say the least by the time I was coming into make up age. I think she did teach me that you have to file your nails in one direction not in both directions. Its so rare that she taught me something like that that it stood out. I think whatever I learned on that level was from friends and possibly magazines. I think when I was 16 she said the dental hygienist told her she should ask if I wanted to go on birth control. Something like that, her round about (shy?) way of asking. I did remember her taking me to help with science project (visit solar heating place- most definitely a choice influenced by her). Would take me out for half a muffin and tea after the dentists...would pick me up from friends and drop me off in those years when I had friends outside of walking distance and not yet driver's licence (ages 12 to 16) She became very much a recluse as the years went by, not in her early days, when she was had been quite sociable, but had no friends left to speak of by the time I was a teen. She was still doing a few hours of volunteer work as secretary in the town hall or the church when I was in my teens.

Movie quote - not necessarily my favorite but one that comes to mind often. I think I mentioned this a few months ago. "I mean I've spent the first half of my life acquiring all this cr** and now I'm gonna spend the second half of my life getting rid of all this stuff." From the movie 'Boyhood.'
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,501 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, 34 mins T’ai Chi, backed up laptop files to current usb, dogs to powerline, practiced WBW, DM, GDLL, SWTD, SL,
    Bonus: 15 mins grooming Shadow, 60 mins grooming Tumble, transplanted pineapple.
    Just one thing: measured, emptied and scrubbed hanging pot, finished watching “Clara’s Heart” – Thanks Katla!
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, GDLL, SWTD, SL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, dog group, text C, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    8: Make some progress on a task you have been avoiding=aloe and succulent hanging pot prep.
    9: Share an important goal with someone you trust=

Julie yes my walking partners are not strict in their schedules. T is my gal friend/walking and chatting buddy, we walk when we’re both free at the same time. Shadow’s ready to walk 24/7, as is Tumble, my other dog. ;)
    Heather, like KJ I see you in your grandfather’s eyes.
    Rita ((hugs))
    Welcome @cory17 Linda in LA!

Reading and thinking about mothers, teaching womanly arts, favorite quotes, fridge and pantry organization, coping and caregiving, but yawning too widely to marshall my thoughts and type.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:8, weigh/wii: 8/1/15; steps>7228=7359 vits=8, log=8, CI<CO=8, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=8, Shadow=10, mfp=8, outside=10, up hill=9, clean 10=13.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=1 , Mon:SWSY=.67 , Tue:LD=1 , Wed:TC=.67 , PW=1, Thurs: BB&B=1, Fri:TC=1, Sat:PW=1, rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=5, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,212 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good morning all. It's a wet dull day outside, so I see lots of clearing up in near my future. I plan to finish sorting out all of the stuff that I took out of the craft/art room. Wish me luck on that score.

China/crystal:
    My Nana had some 'good' China, which was kept in a china cabinet in her parlour, and only brought out for special guests. I was occasionally allowed to use it as a very special treat as a child. I have always loved crystal and china, and prefer to drink out of china mugs/cups, and treat myself to new ones regularly. I have a selection of crystal that I use regularly regularly, and some other bits that are only used on special occasions. I have a collection of Wedgewood china that I bought piece by piece when we were first in our own home. It's used regularly. Among other things, I inherited a complete set of Royal Doulton China plates that belong to my MiL, which she only brought out at Christmas and for special family celebrations. I use it as my every day set, as I believe that these things should be enjoyed, especially as nobody seems to really want them these days. I inherited one of Nana's tea sets, which I passed on to my younger girl when she got her first home. My older girl will get some of the other pieces if she wants them.

Like others, I learnt little of womanly ways from my mother, but my godmother, (her youngest sibling) was only 12 years older than me, and I was very close to her, so would ask for advice from her. Although, to be honest, I mostly learnt from teen mags (anyone remember 'Jackie'? 😂) and from my friends.

Time to get moving. I am off out to our local shops for fresh produce.

(((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻 🙏🏻🙏🏻 to those in need of them.

Don't let the b*****s get you down! Remember!

9n8l6legbro9.png

☘️ Terri