WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ & Tracey - I have a set of fine china that was my mom’s. These are WW2 vintage. They are Noritake China made in occupied Japan. They are quite lovely and seldom used. I also have a set of Booth’s Blue Willow China that we received when we were married. Our everyday dishes are Corelle. :smiley:

Katla in foggy NW OR

Yes! My step-grandmother's china is also Noritake. It is so pretty.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I have the same. Mine was my mother in law’s. It is gorgeous and a complete set - place settings for 16, platters, covered serving bowls, gravy boat. Dinner plate, dessert bowls, soup bowls, bread plate, dessert plate, cup, saucer. It is white with yellow flowers. I love it. It’s supposed to go to my daughter but she probably doesn’t want it.

My everyday dishes are Longaberger and I love them as well. I bought them off eBay.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did a DVD for the rebounder then went for my walk. Was it ever good to get back in my routine! The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jillian Michaels Killer Cardio DVD then hopefully go for a walk

Cooking question: I roasted some butternut squash and I totally forgot that when you peel the squash, this “stuff” gets on your hands. Is there some way to remove it easily? It does eventually wear off. Now making spaghetti squash in the IP. Now ribs in the IP, need to broil them. Then I’ll make chocolate chip cookies to take to bowling Monday.

Kim – hope mom doesn’t get in your way too much

My arm is sore from my booster. If that’s the only reaction I have, I’ll take it

China and crystal – My MIL has some crystal, my mother never did. I do have two sets of China, tho. The one MIL had is a BIG set. But to me, my mother’s set is prettier. Wish I knew if Jess wanted it (MIL's), otherwise, I’d sell/donate it. Jess and MIL had a special relationship

lisatryharder – welcome!

Lisa – oh that belt! Thanks for the memory. What about the thing to hold up your pantyhose? Like you, I still have the Corelleware that I got before we were married. After we were married, I added pieces. My pattern is discontinued but you can still find it in thrift stores sometimes

Tracey – I love the weight and stackability of the Corelleware, too. I honestly don’t understand why people want stoneware. Plus, the Corelleware for the most part doesn’t break

Flea – I’m sure if you’re not sociable when they come, your SDIL and her hubby will understand.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    Qqqqq
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We hsve had Viser : 3. We are ok. 😘
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Awake early. A bit anxious/excited about the posh restaurant lunch today. ;)
    I've only spoken to the man about twice in my life, years ago, and I don’t remember clesrly what he looks like. I remember he seemed nice. His wife also seemed very nice. He is the brother of DH's long-term partner who died of breast cancer in 2000.
    Of course I'm bothering myself about what to wear. ;)
    We will go on the bus and probably walk back. I found myself thinking that they might like to come back for coffee and bothering about tidying up etc, but I think we will just agree not to invite them.

DH and I had a bit of a blow up yesterday. His sister rang unexpectedly and asked us at the last minute to join them at dinner at a restaurant for her boyfriend's birthday. On Thursday. Her home is over a hundred miles away, so a two day trip.
    I need notice for that kind of commitment! Right now I am working on my memoir and am hoping to start getting it published this week, so I am very preoccupied with all that. So, I said, no, and was proud if myself for saying no.
    Then I handed the phone to DH and he also said no, but his sister was upset. Somehow it all became about me not wanting to go in the car! ;) That was not it, as I could have gone by train.
    DH was upset that his sister was upset. He didn't want to go anyway! It's too far for a quick expedition. I said he could go on his own and that upset him, I don't know why, as I often go to my brother's by myself!
    I think the base line is ...... his sister feels thst her boyfriend doesn't get enough attention from the family as they are not married. (We have sent a present and card) DH is upset that I won't go in the car for a long trip. (I'm happy to go by train and him drive himself. He hates trains) The result was thst the phone call was upsetting for him and then he couldn't talk to me about it. He went out for a walk.
    I did manage to get my head straight about it and I'm happy with my decision. DH's stuff with his sister is his stuff. He will get over it. But it was interesting to see how easily we got off balance over something that seemed trivial, but stirred deep wounds.
    So endeth the lesson. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, dog group
    Bonus: made booster vax appointments online, an hour line dancing at the port
    Just one thing: oops
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, GDLL, SWTD, SL, , backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, text C, fire district: send minutes and meeting reminder, research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    9: Share an important goal with someone you trust=share stronger goal with the mfp gals
    10: Take some time to reflect on what you have accomplished this week=

Heather , Boo, indeed, for hemochromatosis. :love: the pics. ImHo if your DH’s sister thinks her boyfriend doesn’t get sufficient family attention, could she give more than 2 days’ notice of birthday celebrations? To avoid next year, note his bday on your calendar and ask dh a month in advance what he wants to do?
    Welcome @lisatryharder and happy fresh October morning back atcha!
    Lisa oh yes I remember those belts, and one stretched out, raveled “absolutely emergency extra.” Likewise we ate off melamine and I love Corelle. When Joe and I married and people asked where I was “registered” or what my pattern was, I asked for plain white Corelle. Use it to this day 34 years later. Mama did finally get some fine Czech china, and did pass it on to me, Sold it at our first downsizing garage sale. Still have Mama’s sterling, she only used it for holidays and I don’t use it at all. Crystal drinking glasses, a few, but I tend to break them so no sets. Mama collected cut glass and I still have several of my favorites of her pieces.
    Julie your rental studio sounds lovely.
    Flea your quote reminds me of one I saw on a badge at a science fiction convention: “I am not programmed to respond in that area.” https://y.yarn.co/abdff2e3-c747-40df-8dce-64fbfc08f38e.mp4 The costumed gal was wearing it on her left breast. :naughty: ((hugs)) and prayers continue.
    Katla All this talk of pads and belts makes me grateful for menopause. ;)
    Cheri your colorful graphics make me smile. Thanks!
    Michelle not just garter belts, but I remember wearing a girdle with stockings to jr and high school every day. SMH.

Grateful for:
    Joe and the dogs
    Where we live
    Rain replenishing the cistern and clearing the air
    Electricity
    Being able to exercise, walk and dance.
    And all you wonderful, wise, compassionate women!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:9, weigh/wii: 9/1/15; steps>7228=9032 vits=9, log=9, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=8, Shadow=12, mfp=9, outside=12, up hill=11, clean 10=13.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=1 , Mon:SWSY=.67 , Tue:LD=1 , Wed:TC=.67 , PW=1, Thurs: BB&B=1, Fri:TC=1, Sat:PW=2, rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=5, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Awake early. A bit anxious/excited about the posh restaurant lunch today. ;)
    I've only spoken to the man about twice in my life, years ago, and I don’t remember clesrly what he looks like. I remember he seemed nice. His wife also seemed very nice. He is the brother of DH's long-term partner who died of breast cancer in 2000.
    Of course I'm bothering myself about what to wear. ;)
    We will go on the bus and probably walk back. I found myself thinking that they might like to come back for coffee and bothering about tidying up etc, but I think we will just agree not to invite them.

DH and I had a bit of a blow up yesterday. His sister rang unexpectedly and asked us at the last minute to join them at dinner at a restaurant for her boyfriend's birthday. On Thursday. Her home is over a hundred miles away, so a two day trip.
    I need notice for that kind of commitment! Right now I am working on my memoir and am hoping to start getting it published this week, so I am very preoccupied with all that. So, I said, no, and was proud if myself for saying no.
    Then I handed the phone to DH and he also said no, but his sister was upset. Somehow it all became about me not wanting to go in the car! ;) That was not it, as I could have gone by train.
    DH was upset that his sister was upset. He didn't want to go anyway! It's too far for a quick expedition. I said he could go on his own and that upset him, I don't know why, as I often go to my brother's by myself!
    I think the base line is ...... his sister feels thst her boyfriend doesn't get enough attention from the family as they are not married. (We have sent a present and card) DH is upset that I won't go in the car for a long trip. (I'm happy to go by train and him drive himself. He hates trains) The result was thst the phone call was upsetting for him and then he couldn't talk to me about it. He went out for a walk.
    I did manage to get my head straight about it and I'm happy with my decision. DH's stuff with his sister is his stuff. He will get over it. But it was interesting to see how easily we got off balance over something that seemed trivial, but stirred deep wounds.
    So endeth the lesson. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

good for you for knowing your decision.
    Your DH hates trains and you didn't want to do the car?
    That seems to be a sticking point.
    Did you think of asking them if they want to come to BRIGHTON for a beachside restaurant meal?
    I think it's reasonable for people over 70 to not want to travel so far with little notice.
    I was thinking - driving over 100 miles is not necessarily a 2 day trip. It could be a day trip if the dinner were early- say 5pm and no alcohol for designated driver. but it would eat up your day and if you are under the gun...

I bet the dinner at a posh place will be lovely. I remember I think you said you liked posh hotels. (like the ritz or something). For me not so much the hotels - it seems so consumerist - but I do enjoy a posh restaurant - though I very rarely go. having topnotch or at least very good food and service for a rare splurge seems like a worthwhile option to me.
    Most people are worried about what they look like so not so worried about what others look like but maybe it's just fun to dress up...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Barbara I'm glad I missed the girdle and hose to school period.
    when I was a teen I guess hose was common if wearing a dress. I'm sure that in my early adult age going to work in skirt or dress without hose was very much frowned upon.
    I couldn't bear them- felt suffocated in the synthetics so wore cotton tights or nothing most of the time. this was not considered elegant, and was considered either not serious or child-like (tights) up through the 90s. as were flats...little heels were the thing...I didn't tow that line but I was often frowned upon! PFTT! thank goodness decent comfort for women has become trendy...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I have to get my bandage dressing on lower back changed by a nurse. in fact I can change it but I can't check it to see if it's ok. (not infected). social security pays for her coming. Gotta take a shower just before she comes. She' just in the neighbourhood and coming between 1:30 and 2:00. it's 1:05 now.

Did 30 min of ironing (late removal from washing machine last week - that's my penance!) and 30 min of other tidying, cleaning. YAY.

15 -30 distracted minutes on recumbent as I was writing on computer- (I dont recommend that!)

Today writing and reading correction from corrector and sending back.

Lovely sunny day.

Went to café today to read the paper.
    M wasn't there - she has 100 papers to correct so I know now that the school year is in full swing she's going to be snowed under a lot with corrections and we won't have much time for our long talks.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Dishes from 50 Yrs of Marriage:
    Some came from when I was first married and others were passed down!

Franciscan Desert Rose
    Lenox Tuxedo
    Johnsons Bros. Great British Castles
    Wynn Dixie Grocery Store Whatever that I used for many yrs.
    M A Hadley Pottery with Country Themes
    Lenox Christmas Dishes (Every piece you can buy)
    Johnson Bros. White (Don't know the name but still used everyday)
    Dixie Paper Plates (We use a lot of these) :)

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    Rrrrr
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara – I find menopause quite pleasant. It is nice not to be burdened with belts, cramps, and pads. :bigsmile:

(((Pip))) - It seems that you have been blessed twice, with two excellent men. :heart:

I heard from a dear teaching friend today. I am delighted to hear from her. She and her son have had their third Pfizer vaccinations, too. We had ours yesterday. I have a bit of a sore arm, but DH has a nasty headache this morning. I have a very mild headache. I guess I’m lucky.

Katla
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ Your painted wood cut outs look great! Will you and your daughter be selling them this year at a craft fair? I think I remember you doing that in the past. Yes, we do use a lot of paper plates. My husband seems to love them.

Carol in Ga
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I had my big Sunday meal, and I have forty calories left. Let's see if I can get through the afternoon and evening without cookies. I've been doing better lately, but Sunday is the big test.

Annie in Delaware