WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    M in OZ & Tracey - I have a set of fine china that was my mom’s. These are WW2 vintage. They are Noritake China made in occupied Japan. They are quite lovely and seldom used. I also have a set of Booth’s Blue Willow China that we received when we were married. Our everyday dishes are Corelle. :smiley:

Lisa – My mom gave me a menstrual pad when I had my first period. I was about 12. She referred to it as “the curse.” She was very embarrassed to talk about it at all, but filled me in on how to use the pad. Now that I’m in my 70’s there is nothing to worry about. YAY!!! :bigsmile:

Re: Thanksgiving – With our travel situation this fall we will celebrate Thanksgiving whenever we want to, and maybe more than once. :star: We will spend time in VA with our son’s family and hope to stop along the way home to see our daughter’s family. :heart:

Pfizer vaccination #3 today for DH & I. We are looking forward to this. It will help us feel safer during the upcoming travels.

Katla in foggy NW OR
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1630454ft845y72r8.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    :) I am older than most of you. My grandmother died in 1963 and my mother was her only heir. My mother died in 1991 and I was her only heir so I got my mother and father's house along with all their stuff and a lot of my grandmothers stuff. The stuff included lots of china, glassware, and other precious photos and mementos. It has taken me a long time to clear out what I can't or won't use and keep only what is precious to me. In 2006, Jake's son came up from California for a visit and I loaded his truck with boxes of stuff. He didn't want anything so he took it all to his sister. I told her that I would not ask what she did with it and she could not ask me why I didn't want it. She was free to keep it, give it to friends and loved ones, or sell it in her husband's pawn shop. The payoff for me was lots of empty space in my house and my brain. I scanned all the photos and threw away the hard copies.

:) It has helped me to read books and listen to podcasts about minimalism and intentional living to prepare me to acquire the freedom that comes from getting rid of stuff.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Correction- DH does NOT want to stop at our daughter’s on our way home from VA. He wants a separate visit with our daughter’s family later, perhaps next spring.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

“There is only do or do not. There is no try.”
    Paraphrased but you get the drift. 👽

Thanks for the prayers and hugs. All welcomed and needed.

RvRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    Lllll
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ & Tracey - I have a set of fine china that was my mom’s. These are WW2 vintage. They are Noritake China made in occupied Japan. They are quite lovely and seldom used. I also have a set of Booth’s Blue Willow China that we received when we were married. Our everyday dishes are Corelle. :smiley:

Katla in foggy NW OR

Yes! My step-grandmother's china is also Noritake. It is so pretty.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Puberty/etc.
    On being taught the ways of women, yeah my Mama wasn't into that, and it never occurred to her that I might need some advanced warning. So when I freaked out over my first period, she handed me a pad and a booklet that I think was written in the 50s and walked back out. I'm pretty sure we never spoke about any of that, but there were always pads available. She still hadn't reached menopause yet, so was still using them. Does anyone else remember the belt you had to wear to keep them in place so that the material of the pad on each end was clipped onto the belt?

Tampons, on the other hand, I learned about from the first guy I lived with back in 1978... He taught me how to use them. There were many unexpected kindnesses from him, but he was a raging alcoholic - and as an 18-year-old, dealing with a man who was a jealous, violent and vicious drunk wasn't in my repertoire. He was the one who broke my nose when I left him in Albuquerque.

China/crystal/etc.
    I find it fascinating that so many of you have received handed-down items from your parents and grandparents. When I was growing up, we ate off of melamine, a type of plastic ware, not exactly worth putting it in anyone's will. After I married, I began a Swarovski collection of their animals, but eventually ended up selling them all--and I know y'all are talking about crystal as in wine glasses, but never had any. Still have the Corelle I purchased in Montana nearly forty years ago. I hated stoneware plates, and love Corelle. Don't imagine there will be anyone fighting over it after I shuffle off this mortal coil, however.

What I'm grateful for
    • My current and final husband.
    • The amazing son and daughter that he brought with him--I was told I'd never have kids by the docs when I was 25, but these two wonderful people call me Mom, and my daughter's babies call me Gramily. Doesn't get much better than that.
    • This place we found to make our own more every year.
    • Y'all. You are a large part of my life, and I'm very grateful for all of you.

Later, y'all,
    Love, Lisa in AR

we have the stoneware type plates for our every day but I rarely use them. For me, they are too big and too heavy(I eat in the living room, dh and son eat in their rooms ;( ) My preferred plates are the Tupperware luncheon plates or the kids plates. They are the right size for me and aren't heavy. Seeing a plate full of food on a little plate makes me not feel like I am depriving myself. The only time I use something other than the little plates is if I am having a salad, then I go for one of my biggest bowls. I love salad and put so many veggies in it but very little dressing.

Debbie
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Machka - I love your “getting to know you questions. Most times I have to do some thinking to know what my favourite of whatever is.
    The movie quote that makes me laugh whenever I think of it is from Toy Story Woody (I think) said “you want a piece of me”, the two year old I was babysitting at the time went around raising his little arm in the air saying “you want a piece of meat”. That little boy married two weeks ago.

Rebecca - I have learned I am the same as you, I need very little space. Our food is all stored together and it’s a “free for all”. There is a lower cabinet that are houses the Grand snacks. Hubby breaks into that one once in a while I never do.

Im with you on Hambrger Helper, I won’t make it either though. lol

Rita - my heart hurts for you. Dementia is such a complicated disease there are so many forms of it. I went to a seminar just before Covid hit and was shocked at some of the symptoms, behaviours and types.

Carol - I was never really into china but have collected Crystal since I was 16. I do have my grandmother and great grandmothers every day dishes that have withstood the rest of time. I use one set for Christmas and the other for Thanksgiving and switch it up on other occasions. I have had some drinks in my Crystal just to use it.

My love of Crystal happened when I was very young. My Grandmother had four glasses in her cupboard that she had gotten out of Duz soap. They were very pretty and I used to pretend I was drinking champagne out of Crystal. My champagne was ginger ale. I grew up on Dallas, Dynasty and other soaps.
    When I was 16 my Dad built me a hope chest and my grandmother bought me 4 glasses to start filling it with. I haven’t had a piece bought for me in years.

My eldest daughter has laid claim to most of it. My youngest wants other things.

Kim - those clients can be difficult good luck. My Mom never taught me things like that either. My best friends Mom taught me at the same time she talked to all of her girls about makeup, becoming a woman, etc. My other best friend’s mom taught me about being safe sexually, not to rush into anything, warned about drugs and alcohol. My Mom was wonderful but she was and still is very innocent and childlike almost. She would do anything for me though, even to my own detriment at times.

I agree maybe not having that closeness then doesn’t allow the closeness now.

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracy, I do make hamburger helper but if there is leftovers, the only way I can eat it, is if I add corn, sour cream, or put it in a soup. But by itself, its blaah. I have made homemade beef noodles, with a rich brown gravy and egg noodles. My husband said he liked the box brand better! See the Navy really DID ruin his taste buds!
    Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    I just remembered- I also have a beautiful set of China that was my grandma's- It has dragons on it.
    I know my son will want to keep this-
    Here is a link to a set like mine but I have more pieces
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/183727355377?hash=item2ac700f5f1:g:07IAAOSw3AFciFJ6
    I also have other pieces from the same maker but in the grey tones. They have a lithophane of a geisha in the bottom of the cups that I have always thought was so cool.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Puberty etc-, when I got my first period, I thought I was dying. After my sisters and Mom stopped laughing, she told me no I wasn't dying, I was just a woman now, with women's issues. I learned kind of what "went on down there, but it was not clear, so one night at dinner time, all of us sitting around the table, and I state as plain as day, "its so wonderful I have eggs inside, and when I want to wish for a baby, I can just make one". Again, my whole family were gasping, laughing, my Dad choking on his bite of food...he says, " Joanne, you need to have a talk with her". 😂😂😂. My second period ever was the mist traumatic. My Mom and Dad had gone to Hawaii, my middle sister went to Europe with her choir, and my eldest sister had just gotten married. So I was shipped to my paternal grandmother. She went out and bought me a box of kotex the size of a toddler! I proceeded to use the whole box in 3 days, because every time I spotted, I would get a new one! My grandma horrified me by telling me she used RAGS and washed them herself. It was some awful weeks! Embedded in my brain!
    China Etc Lee bought me China from Korea when he was there. It was pretty blue flowers with a silver trim. Over the years of hauling that box around, not using it except twice a year, Christmas and Thanksgiving, I sold it at one of my numerous yard sales. I just have stone ware now. Son has square plates that are cool.
    Grateful for, I am grateful for my furnace. Texted my middle sister and their oil furnace stopped working. Next week is their appt. They seem to have all sorts of issues with that house. Over the summer their refrigerator stopped working and my niece purchased one ($1,000 one!), but it was a month wait. Many winters they don't have the money to buy oil, its just so sad. But my view is my sister has settled for so much, at one point cashing in her retirement fund to give both daughters thousands of dollars to go live in apartments, and they just spent the money on STUFF. So she's holed up in a basement of a huge home that her eldest daughter, 3 kids have taken over. She grubs hub many of her meals, because she doesn't v want to go upstairs, make her own food, and interact with grandkids etc. Its so sad. So, texting her makes me look at my life, and I am blessed.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day

Walk w/family- 2hrs 25min 12sec, 3.30ap, 157elev, 90ahr, 107mhr, 8.15mi= 747c
    Strava app= 988c
    Walk to gym- 10.53min, .52mi= 49c
    Strava app= 63c
    Treadmill jog- 29.35min, 9.87min mi, 117ahr, 164mhr, 6.2sp for 1st 5mi, 6.3sp for next 5min, 6.2sp for next 5min, 6.4sp for next 5min, 6.2sp for next 5min, 6.6for the rest of distance, 5k= 332c
    Walk gym to home- 11.15min, .52mi= 51c
    Strava app= 63c

Steps at end of exercise 27862

Total cal 1179
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to drink her tea out of a china cup,
    And about accidents with periods lets just say ,i got the nickname from very mean boys calling me kotex kid...
    Tracy and I went to a consignment shop that had 30 onsies for $10.00 it was a zoo,but we found some but all the bigger sizes were gone..
    Im still figuring out what to pack but ill figure jt out.
  • Katla49
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Going to Walgreens this afternoon for Pfizer #3. We plan to go to Virginia to spend some time with our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. We want to be well vaccinated so that we do not take any sickness with us. B) We're looking forward to the visit. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Pppppp