October 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    On the topic of race swag. I'm in a totally different camp. I would rather they stop giving medals, shirts and other stuff and just drop the price by 50 bucks. It shouldn't cost $165 to run a marathon. </soapbox>
    😲 $165 yikes! Ok, I'm definitely spoiled on the cost point, too.
    Also, wouldn't want to cause any race director's heads to explode... but it's not that hard to include a size chart (with measurements) for the shirts B)

@polskagirl01 - early registration for most of the larger Marathons/HMs here is around $100 and goes up from there with the final later registrations being close to double that. If you want/need to change anything it is usually $25 and they do sell out so its not like they are just hoping to get people to sign up I do think a lot of it is related to the cost of security, road closures and things like Porta potties.... it is incredibly expensive to put on a race here even with major sponsors.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    On the topic of race swag. I'm in a totally different camp. I would rather they stop giving medals, shirts and other stuff and just drop the price by 50 bucks. It shouldn't cost $165 to run a marathon. </soapbox>
    😲 $165 yikes! Ok, I'm definitely spoiled on the cost point, too.
    Also, wouldn't want to cause any race director's heads to explode... but it's not that hard to include a size chart (with measurements) for the shirts B)

@polskagirl01 - early registration for most of the larger Marathons/HMs here is around $100 and goes up from there with the final later registrations being close to double that. If you want/need to change anything it is usually $25 and they do sell out so its not like they are just hoping to get people to sign up I do think a lot of it is related to the cost of security, road closures and things like Porta potties.... it is incredibly expensive to put on a race here even with major sponsors.

So I looked up some of the big-name marathons here. This might be depressing for some of you:
    Many are around $25 for early registration. Most expensive I found was Warsaw, which started at 200 złoty with no shirt ($50 / €43), then went up from there - max you'd pay was 390 zł ($98 / €85) for late registration with 2 shirts (1 cotton, 1 technical).

I believe I paid $20 in the city where I lived, for early registration for a road marathon, which included the technical shirt, medal, race-branded bag, pack of pasta, sponge, post race meal/drinks/massages etc. At least one year, that included a concert & pasta party the night before.

Trail races are pretty similar in price, maybe slightly higher. Probably because you have to contract with national parks and mountain rescue services, and the events are going to last longer.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    The 50k I registered for was $115 plus fees before the firat price hike. I would guess a lot of that is for the county park permit since they start set up days before and the race covers 2 days and almost every trail in the park. They also have their own medical service on site to call instead of 911.

You can not order the tshirt and save less than $8. It's basically saving the tax lol
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k slow
    10-2 7k sleasy (between slow and easy)
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 rest
    10-5 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    10-6 6k slow
    10-7 rest
    10-8 7k slow
    10-9 7k easy

October Total: 48k
    October Goal: 150k

Mostly cloudy, mid 60s F, and very humid. Saw some nightcrawlers out after last night's rain. Seems strange to see them in October.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Nice run @Tramboman I'm surprised the night crawlers were out too.

Glad you had such a nice day for running @katharmonic !

Nice @CarsonSurfs !
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Well done for getting your flu shot. Sorry it's "kicked your butt". Cocooning recommended.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    10-1 7k slow
    10-2 7k sleasy (between slow and easy)
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 rest
    10-5 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    10-6 6k slow
    10-7 rest
    10-8 7k slow
    10-9 7k easy
    10-10 7k moderate

October Total: 55k
    October Goal: 150k

High hazy clouds, upper 50s F, with a refreshing breeze from the south. Ran my best training time since early August.

@shanaber If that reaction doesn't ease soon, you might want to get checked by your doctor. Seems like a pretty significant response to that shot.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - congratulations on a great race!! It looks like a lovely place to run and love the swag!
    I can't believe you are running another one next weekend (hopefully it isn't quite so hilly!) but have no doubt you will earn that crown!