WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Wow its been a whirlwind today....but gosh if you could see the house we went to the luncheon. OMG it was straight out of house beautiful.. they even had a kitchenaide huge drawer built in ice maker that was right next to the fridge, i looked like a stainless steel cabinet.
    Had a lovely time.. but it will be quiet for a few hours as moat everyone will be at the rehearsal dinner.
    Ive had to lay low and keep my feet up my right ankle is swollen up like a balloon and the other one is swollen but not as bad..
    So Ive been sitting on the couch with my feet up for the last 4 hrs..
    It is absolute chaos here right now as everyone is getting ready to go to rehearsal
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :)Cherie Happy Anniversary

:)Tracy I love your ornaments
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did Denise Austin’s Ultimate Fat Burning DVD then took a walk. Very brisk out but it felt good. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Gilad Step and Tone DVD

Tracey – one of the reasons I don’t care for musicals is because to me they are so fake. How many people, for example, break out in song and dance on the sidewalk? Those ornaments are stunning! So creative! Love the expressions on the snowmen

Julie – I normally drink tap water. But when I’m at the soup kitchen, they only have bottled water so that’s what I have. Ever since we’ve had to wear these (stupid) masks, my throat actually starts to close up when I talk. The hour at the soup kitchen, I’m so busy working and talking, that I normally drink 32oz. I just take a drink of water when I feel my throat close up and I’m fine. As far as what kind of tea – most anything except black tea. Not fond of Earl Grey, either. Is that a black tea, I wonder? Think the last time I had coffee was about 5 years ago. And then I had it at a Marriott Hotel so you know it wasn’t a cheap brand. But I still thought it tasted horrible. That’s probably because I hadn’t had coffee for about 2 years before then.

Kylia OH – so sorry for your friend’s mother. Vince is on coumadin. Yup, Vince is on a CPAP, too.

Cheri – happy anniversary

Church and by the time we had dinner it was too dark to go for a walk. Gawd, I hate this time of year. Have another loaf of sourdough in the oven.

Vince wants to cut the grass (aka weeds) tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Vet just called with the test results for Umaku- they show NOTHING- no idea why he was in so much pain, unable to pee, but a dribble, with blood in it. $1000 for that visit.
    He is doing ok now- peed normally yesterday, nothing yet today but it is early, he just woke up. Slept with me all night again.

I hope they can figure something out!

bwcetc wrote: »
    Sent the husband out with a very large grocery list. He's informed me that when I am back on my feet he is never grocery shopping again. LOL! I have news for him ...

Beth near Buffalo

Can you order your groceries online and have them delivered?

I've been doing that for 3.5 years now and it's marvellous! I love not having to GO grocery shopping. I will still pick up a few things in a grocery store or fruit & veg market now and then but that's not a regular thing.

Before my husband's accident, we went grocery shopping together once a week.

I drink two large mugs of tea with milk at breakfast time, one after lunch, one mid-afternoon, and one after dinner.
    I have one mug of strong milky coffee around 10.30 am. I might have an extra tea if someone offers me one.
    I drink flavoured fizzy water with lunch and a beverage of some sort as an aperitif around 5 pm and another with dinner. Sometimes alcohol, sometimes AF.
    I love my tea, proper British tea. Strong, with milk, no sugar. Nothing comes close. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

The first time I went to the UK, I stayed with a friend and his family. Immediately upon my arrival, they offered me tea and asked how I take it. I take my tea black, maybe with a pinch of sugar. They looked horrified but gave me that tea ... the first time. After that I got strong, with milk, no sugar. :lol:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Michele you sound so calm despite the emergency trip the hospital.

Heather get well soon.

Flea I'm glad you are getting a month of sick leave soon. Understandable that you be so tired with chemo.

Rebecca, sorry you had. rough night.

Tracey- I think seven would be the earliest "normal" wake up time in Paris. In the country-side or just outside of Paris things can run an hour or so earlier.
    I would say 9 am is the usual starting time for work in PAris.
    It can even 10 am in some fields. It's very rare to have a class or meeting before 8:30, which is the early-bird hour bemoaned by many. Some shops open at 9 am but others at 9:30 or 10.
    Dinner is never before 7pm (which is early). 8pm is a more common prompt dinner time and in fact one can have dinner at 9pm or 9:30. It's not unusual at all.

Barbara, I am not going now but I have had good experiences with acupuncture.

Where I work, we can show up anytime between about 7 am and 10 am. :)

A few people turn up really early (between about 7 and 8) but most people turn up somewhere around 8:15 and 9:15.

Stores usually open about 10 am.

Cafes about 7 am.

Uni classes at 9 am.

Dinner somewhere between 6 pm and 8 pm.

Machka in Oz

It sounds somewhat like here except - work wouldn't be open at 7 am- I think most offices would be closed and locked till at least 8 or 8:30. When I lived in the usa and had a summer office job as a teen we could arrive at between 7 and maybe 8:30...?

And dinner never starts before 7 here. (in Boston you could have dinner from 4:30 to maybe 9pm latest. I remember one time telling my Dutch then-boyfriend that I was having dinner at 10 or 10:30 after dance Classe-which we did a LOF - he thought that was so funny and wierd almost unbelievable to have dinner at 10pm)

Our office is locked until 8 am, but the few who come in early can do that using an After-Hours code.

A few of our ornaments. We do have a FB page with pictures of a lot of our work. Prices are on them for the virtual market tomorrow. I’m not trying to sell them here. 🙂
    9y53vivb6y87.jpeg
    vh2pv49o3f9l.jpeg
    bsohkjzfo8hj.jpeg
    spn97khmocp3.jpeg
    noms9id8h4f2.jpeg
    ugmbtrnnf8at.jpeg
    rahnrhecdaqh.jpeg
    encq5dyeul9r.jpeg
    8xtv2lsv1ur5.jpeg
    60d455gf9xo6.jpeg

Nice!
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Love the Christmas ornaments…. I used to make ornaments for my family years ago… when I retire!
    Speaking of retirement, before I owned my own business I worked in the IT in Silicon Valley and as many of us did I changed jobs every few years, that was how you got a raise or better opportunity. None of the companies had pensions, but they did have 401K (a retirement plan that you put money in tax free and sometimes an employer will match some of the $ you put in – you pay taxes in retirement with the assumption that your tax rate will be lower then) I have rolled the money out of these accounts and into one account that an investment professional is helping me with, in the process he has had me list every company I have ever worked for and is tracking back to verify that all of the money has been accounted for. A company I worked for in the 1980’s did not appear to have been rolled in, I was able to track it, and WOW the money was there, and had been well invested that amount will make a nice difference in my retirement – happy days! I don’t plan on retiring until I am 70 as that will allow me to have the max from Social Security - based on how well my mom is doing at 92 ½ I have to plan for a long life and want to have the cash flow to enjoy those years.

Smiles Kim in N. California

Well done!

bwcetc wrote: »
    Tracey ... good luck with the virtual sale ... the ornaments are super cute!

I forgot to mention yesterday that in PT we used scales to determine my weight and how much 25% weight bearing would be for my broken leg. Fully dressed of course and with a heavy range of motion brace, I have lost at least 10 pounds in the last 7-1/2 weeks. I think this is an amazing accomplishment given that I have not expended any energy in that time period. All I've done is fast at least 19-20 hours each day and stopped grazing through the 4-5 hours I allow myself to eat. My husband says it was all due to his "cooking" ... which is probably partly true! :D

Rainy day today, but I received two floral arrangements this morning! One fall floral arrangement from my church telling me they "miss me" and a vase of red roses from my husband for sweetest day. It's a good day.

Beth near Buffalo

Congrats on the weight loss!

csofled wrote: »
    38th wedding anniversary today! 40 years with my best friend!

Cheri
    College Station TX

Happy Anniversary!

fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Posting pictures on here! for some reason I cannot post any pictures on here is there someone that can help me with this??

<3 Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona

Are you using a phone or computer?

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Julie – I normally drink tap water. But when I’m at the soup kitchen, they only have bottled water so that’s what I have. Ever since we’ve had to wear these (stupid) masks, my throat actually starts to close up when I talk. The hour at the soup kitchen, I’m so busy working and talking, that I normally drink 32oz. I just take a drink of water when I feel my throat close up and I’m fine. As far as what kind of tea – most anything except black tea. Not fond of Earl Grey, either. Is that a black tea, I wonder? Think the last time I had coffee was about 5 years ago. And then I had it at a Marriott Hotel so you know it wasn’t a cheap brand. But I still thought it tasted horrible. That’s probably because I hadn’t had coffee for about 2 years before then.

Michele NC

Earl Grey is black tea.

I like Lady Grey which is a milder version of Earl Grey and one I can drink without sugar.

I don't like green tea.

I do like Rooibos and some herbal teas.

I haven't tried white or oolong.

tvzsa1gtxj6u.png

sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »

Tracey – one of the reasons I don’t care for musicals is because to me they are so fake. How many people, for example, break out in song and dance on the sidewalk? Those ornaments are stunning! So creative! Love the expressions on the snowmen

Michele NC

I have broken out into song and dance while walking/running down the sidewalk. I've also done this in my kitchen. However, the fact that musicals are not real-life is exactly one of the reasons I like them. I don't need to see "real life" when I want to be entertained. I live in real life. The songs are often really good too, and the singers tend to be excellent in musicals. But that's me.

Tina in CA

Yes ... me too! :)

One of my favourite musicals is Chicago.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Tracy beautiful ornaments! Thanks for letting us see them.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Friday take BP, type hymns. Saturday take BP, learned first 16 of the right GDLL.
    Bonus: Friday: Walk with Shadow and T. Saturday: Cider press, half hour grooming Tumble.
    Just one thing: Friday: made salad from veggies on hand for A,.watched Bogus. Saturday chose not to go to firehall for pizza night, watched Made in America.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, make up T’ai Chi from Friday, make up pack walk from Saturday, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, review SL, learn the right GDLL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, text C, fire district: board meeting minutes, research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    14: Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation: I’m stumped on this, unless it is to choose to hold my tongue ;)
    15: Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted: remembering to be grateful and express it.
    16: Put down your to-do list and do something fun or uplifting: cider press outside at church instead of dog group.
    17: Take a small step towards a positive change you want to see in society: remember to be respectful even when disagreeing.

Annoyed with myself for allowing guest to choose time, so felt obligated to offer lunch. The annoyance robbed me of energy so important daily routines seemed overwhelming, including checking in here. Vicious cycle. If pressed, next time offer to meet for coffee outside, not here.

Kylia big hugs held extra long. When our friends suffer and grieve, so do we. Take care of yourself and yes, what Tracey said. Dropping your DH off at work and doing your work from home alone sounds like a good idea to me.
    Tracey, Joe has been having nerve pain in his left thumb, hand and foot, as well as the high pressure in his left eye. He’s been taking a supplement (Nervine-basically just alpha lipoic acid) as well as prescription Gabapentin, but the pain persists. In his youth he had good luck with acupressure so thought to give acupuncture a try. He doesn’t feel any differently but I think he looks straighter, lighter, better. He may not realize it, but he started walking Shadow all the way to the mailbox and back (about 1 mile round trip) the day after his first acupuncture session. That is an improvement I’ll take!
    Machka did you know lockdown was coming? 6pm curfew, no cars and road blocks sounds so severe…
    Kim so happy your advisor found that 401K!
    Beth con VERY gratulations for finding the benefit in your DH’s cooking :laugh:
    Cheri the very happiest of anniversaries to you. :love: your smiles!
    @fanncy0626 Mary are you trying to post from a phone or a laptop? Using the website or the app?
    Sue I am so sad to hear of your siblings’ strife at this sad time. ((hugs))
    Tina I’m with you. Neither do I need to see real life when being entertained. Real life can be so hard and sad. Give me a song and dance instead!

Every morning starts with 3 cups of Bigelow Lemon Lift tea (from boiled tap water), each with 5 or 6 grams of sugar. Then it’s mostly bottled spring water (until our water system gets upgraded), AF beer with main meal (or red wine on THOSE days), occasional Honey Lemon Ginseng Tea if I need an energy boost mid day, and once or twice a week Equal Exchange Dark hot chocolate mix with non-fat dry milk powder before bed.

Finally watched the last of four Whoopi Goldberg movies on a long-overdue-to-the-library DVD. It was “Made in America” with Ted Danson. From the very first scene I was transported back to the UC Berkeley campus, full of wistful nostalgia. Relished and enjoyed seeing it again as it was. Would never be comfortable walking there again alone after dark, but I have my memories.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:16, weigh/wii: 16/2/31; steps>7228=Fri:7478, Sat:7489 vits=16, log=16, CI<CO=16, CI<250<CO=12, Tumble=13, Shadow=17, mfp=15, outside=20, up hill=17, clean 10=15.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=2, Mon:SWSY=1.87 , Tue:LD=2 , Wed:TC=1.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=2.1, Fri:TC=1.77, Sat:PW=2, rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 :astonished: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=1, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=10, play=31 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,508 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Heather
    - The joy on Johnny's face is just wonderful, so glad you're in your grandchildren's lives - it's such an amazing relationship.

Kim
    - So pleased at this unexpected financial boost for you! Feeling secure in your future is always a wonderful feeling.

Barbara AHMOD
    - So glad that Joe's open to alternative solutions for his pain. My sister takes Gabapentin as well, after a fall from a ladder a few years ago that left her in constant pain. It's done wonderful things for her nerve pain.

On musicals:
    My love for musicals may have left me for good. I tried to watch Cinderella on Amazon, and within ten minutes had to turn it off. In that time they shoved four different songs in and nearly no dialogue. I need some story to go with the singing. Some of the old ones I loved: My Fair Lady, Singing in the Rain, Chicago, Oklahoma, Brigadoon, and all-time favorite, On a Clear Day with Barbara Streisand.

On what I drink:
    Mornings now I'm drinking Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea, with a little honey and coffee creamer. I've been unable to drink anything with caffeine in it for more than a month. I love coffee, especially the smell of coffee, and miss it sometimes, but I had to walk away from it, as well as teas with caffeine. I fill a 16-ounce adult sippy cup with lots of ice and water, so it's as cold as I can get it, and drag it with me everywhere. Note - I've been unwilling to drink water since my gastric bypass as, throughout those years, plain water hit my stomach like a brick. I survived on tea and coffee for 15 years. Now I can drink water - and I crave it. Don't what made the change, but I like it. Also, I don't drink alcohol, not out of any moral stance, just because I don't like the taste. Don't even like the smell.

Up again at 3 a.m. Not sure why, but not fighting it either. I can nap later if I need to.

Off to the races,
    Love y'all
    Lisa in AR

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka did you know lockdown was coming? 6pm curfew, no cars and road blocks sounds so severe…

I had a pretty good idea ... in our office some guessed it might come a couple weeks ago already. Various ones of us, including me, had begun taking bits and pieces home.

On Friday, everyone had to be within 5 km of home by 6 pm. And from 6 pm Friday until 6 pm Monday, we have to remain within 5 km of home.

We can walk, cycle, drive or whatever within those 5 km for essential purposes, like getting groceries or attending a medical appointment. So there have been a few cars around but not many.

We are allowed outside to exercise for 2 hours a day, alone or with one other person, within 5 km of home.

All non-essential businesses are closed. No weddings. No funerals. All the usual stuff in a lockdown.

Not everyone has complied. Some are in jail. Some have been fined.

It's all fairly run-of-the mill stuff for Australia, but we haven't gone through this in over a year.

If no further cases are found tonight and tomorrow, the lockdown will be lifted at 6 pm Monday. If some are found, the lockdown will be extended.

You can read all about it here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/hobart/

We're to run a cycling event in a week's time but at the moment, we don't know yet if it will go ahead.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    On what I drink:
    Mornings now I'm drinking Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea, with a little honey and coffee creamer. I've been unable to drink anything with caffeine in it for more than a month. I love coffee, especially the smell of coffee, and miss it sometimes, but I had to walk away from it, as well as teas with caffeine. I fill a 16-ounce adult sippy cup with lots of ice and water, so it's as cold as I can get it, and drag it with me everywhere. Note - I've been unwilling to drink water since my gastric bypass as, throughout those years, plain water hit my stomach like a brick. I survived on tea and coffee for 15 years. Now I can drink water - and I crave it. Don't what made the change, but I like it. Also, I don't drink alcohol, not out of any moral stance, just because I don't like the taste. Don't even like the smell.

Up again at 3 a.m. Not sure why, but not fighting it either. I can nap later if I need to.

Off to the races,
    Love y'all
    Lisa in AR

I drink Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea (or one or two other types of Chamomile tea) in the evenings to help me relax and sleep.

I started drinking water at work and now I crave it as well. It seems that the more you drink it, the more you want it. For me, it has to be quite cold though.

M in Oz