Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    yes, interesting difference.

Even back in March/April when flu vaccines were at their peak here - ie just before southern hemisphere winter - one week gap was the thing.

was 2 week gap initially but then reduced to 1.

Sometimes inconvenient for people but that's what it is.

(shingles vaccine may be different in US recomendations because it is a live vaccine - the others are not)

Our shingles vaccine (US) is inactivated.

In that case I can't think of any reason why other vaccines are considered OK with covid vaccine but shingles vaccine is not.

I'm not sure...it might not be a medical reason, but more of a comfort issue.

Very few people I know have ever had a noticeable reaction to a flu vaccine. But almost everyone I know has had some sort of reaction (mild to severe) from the COVID and shingles vaccines.

That's just a personal observation.

That hasn't been my observation - and I give a lot of vaccines in my job.

Hasn't been any more local reactions in covid or shingles vs flu vaccines

Hmmm...again, just my personal observations...

My workplace provides flu vaccines every year, and most employees take them.

Over the years, I've heard one or two of my co-workers say they were a little tired or sore the next day.

All of my co-workers have now been vaccinated for COVID (by mandate). Well over half talked about moderate to severe reactions....fevers, headaches, exhaustion, etc. Very few people said they had little to no reaction.

In my little world, it's a very stark difference between the two vaccines.

That's interesting.

Many people I know have had no reaction to the covid vac or minor reactions only - not everyone, and I haven't kept statistics to say what percentage - but many people.

Not heard of anyone having issues with shingles vaccine here.

And the starting point of all this wasn't whether covid vac causes reactions but why other vaccines, in US, can be given co currently with covid vac but shingles cannot.

Are you certain that the shingles vax where you are is the same as in countries others are reporting from?

I know nothing about vaccines, but understand that sometimes the recommended or available ones can differ by nation.

Background reason for asking: The "old" shingles vax in the US - a zoster live vaccine (ZVL, Zostavax) had no significant reputation for unusual side effects, among those I know. The newer one, a recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV, Shingrix) has quite a reputation among people I know for side effects - not super severe, but the pretty-unpleasant soreness, swelling, fever, etc. - perhaps especially after the second shot.

Yeah I am scared to get the shingles vaccine (although I do want it) because I have heard the side effects are nasty - worse than the Covid vaccine. I guess I thought it was just common knowledge that it gives a bad reaction.
    Both my husband and I had our first ever flu shot in the fall, and both Covid shots. Covid shots were definitely worse reactions (although not super severe for either of us.)

I can't imagine risking shingles (which you can't even avoid by not mixing with other people, since the virus is lying dormant in your body) and its potential for months or even years of pain for fear of the brief discomfort of the recombinant shingles vaccine.

I was so glad when I was finally able to get the shingles vaccine. When I first thought about it, I was told I was too young, then I was told I had to get a prescription from my doctor, then none of the pharmacies I went to had it in stock .... I'd say it took close to five years from when I first started thinking about it to get the vaccine. No, I wasn't devoting massive amounts of time and energy to trying to get it, but at least several times a year I would stop by a pharmacy that listed it as available only to run into roadblock. I've known people who had really bad cases of shingles that deeply impacted their quality of life, so it was a real relief to get the vaccine, despite the soreness, headache, and fatigue. It only lasted one to two days.

I am going to get it. I had the prescription a couple of years ago but when I went to fill it it was expensive (like $400) so I decided to wait until it was covered - which I think is 60 here. Then two people in my 6 person office got shingles within weeks of each other so I decided I should get it. But now I have looked into it more and it apparently doesn't last that long - they are saying people who get it younger than 60 might not be protected later in life when the risk of shingles complications is higher. So on the fence as to whether I should wait 4 more years.
    How old were you when you got it? I am 56.

I was 58. Not sure where you are or which vaccine they're using in your area. I had the two-dose Shingrix vaccine. I hadn't realized until checking just now that its effectiveness can fade after four years, but for some reason the CDC doesn't recommend subsequent boosters. That doesn't seem to make much sense.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member

Even back in March/April when flu vaccines were at their peak here - ie just before southern hemisphere winter - one week gap was the thing.

(shingles vaccine may be different in US recomendations because it is a live vaccine - the others are not)

In that case I can't think of any reason why other vaccines are considered OK with covid vaccine but shingles vaccine is not.

Very few people I know have ever had a noticeable reaction to a flu vaccine. But almost everyone I know has had some sort of reaction (mild to severe) from the COVID and shingles vaccines.

Over the years, I've heard one or two of my co-workers say they were a little tired or sore the next day.

All of my co-workers have now been vaccinated for COVID (by mandate). Well over half talked about moderate to severe reactions....fevers, headaches, exhaustion, etc. Very few people said they had little to no reaction.

That's interesting.

Many people I know have had no reaction to the covid vac or minor reactions only - not everyone, and I haven't kept statistics to say what percentage - but many people.

And the starting point of all this wasn't whether covid vac causes reactions but why other vaccines, in US, can be given co currently with covid vac but shingles cannot.

Are you certain that the shingles vax where you are is the same as in countries others are reporting from?

I know nothing about vaccines, but understand that sometimes the recommended or available ones can differ by nation.

Background reason for asking: The "old" shingles vax in the US - a zoster live vaccine (ZVL, Zostavax) had no significant reputation for unusual side effects, among those I know. The newer one, a recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV, Shingrix) has quite a reputation among people I know for side effects - not super severe, but the pretty-unpleasant soreness, swelling, fever, etc. - perhaps especially after the second shot.

Yeah I am scared to get the shingles vaccine (although I do want it) because I have heard the side effects are nasty - worse than the Covid vaccine. I guess I thought it was just common knowledge that it gives a bad reaction.
    Both my husband and I had our first ever flu shot in the fall, and both Covid shots. Covid shots were definitely worse reactions (although not super severe for either of us.)

I can't imagine risking shingles (which you can't even avoid by not mixing with other people, since the virus is lying dormant in your body) and its potential for months or even years of pain for fear of the brief discomfort of the recombinant shingles vaccine.

I was so glad when I was finally able to get the shingles vaccine. When I first thought about it, I was told I was too young, then I was told I had to get a prescription from my doctor, then none of the pharmacies I went to had it in stock .... I'd say it took close to five years from when I first started thinking about it to get the vaccine. No, I wasn't devoting massive amounts of time and energy to trying to get it, but at least several times a year I would stop by a pharmacy that listed it as available only to run into roadblock. I've known people who had really bad cases of shingles that deeply impacted their quality of life, so it was a real relief to get the vaccine, despite the soreness, headache, and fatigue. It only lasted one to two days.

I am going to get it. I had the prescription a couple of years ago but when I went to fill it it was expensive (like $400) so I decided to wait until it was covered - which I think is 60 here. Then two people in my 6 person office got shingles within weeks of each other so I decided I should get it. But now I have looked into it more and it apparently doesn't last that long - they are saying people who get it younger than 60 might not be protected later in life when the risk of shingles complications is higher. So on the fence as to whether I should wait 4 more years.

I was 58. Not sure where you are or which vaccine they're using in your area. I had the two-dose Shingrix vaccine. I hadn't realized until checking just now that its effectiveness can fade after four years, but for some reason the CDC doesn't recommend subsequent boosters. That doesn't seem to make much sense.

It is Shingrix they give here now - it is only covered by the public health plan if you are between 65-70. I guess the waning immunity is why they limit to those ages, they want people to get it when they are most likely to need it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    How they decide funded age groups is interesting.

Here in Australia Zostavax is funded for people between 70 - 80 only

Based on ages of severity of disease - ie worse when you are older - and efficacy of vaccine - less as you are too much older
    and of course, economics.
    Approved by TGA for people over 50 - and they can get on a private script - ie pay full price which is around $200, sometimes less if your private health fund rebates some.
    I'm sure some people do so - but I have not come across any.
  • 33gail33

That's interesting.

It is Shingrix they give here now - it is only covered by the public health plan if you are between 65-70. I guess the waning immunity is why they limit to those ages, they want people to get it when they are most likely to need it.

FWIW, when I got shingles while in . . . hmm, 30s/40s? . . . they told me that younger people typically have milder cases than older people, though of course there are exceptions. If true, perhaps that's also part of the picture?

That's interesting.

FWIW, when I got shingles while in . . . hmm, 30s/40s? . . . they told me that younger people typically have milder cases than older people, though of course there are exceptions. If true, perhaps that's also part of the picture?

Yeah for sure - that's what I meant. Older people get worse cases, so if they give it too young (when people are less likely to have a bad case) then by the time you might need it more the vaccine immunity is waning already.
    But having said that - I don't know why they don't just give a booster every few years? I don't know enough about it but I would speculate it is a cost thing, if very few people get a bad case when they are younger (and since it isn't contagious) doesn't make financial sense from a public health perspective to fund primary series then boosters.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

Yeah for sure - that's what I meant. Older people get worse cases, so if they give it too young (when people are less likely to have a bad case) then by the time you might need it more the vaccine immunity is waning already.
    But having said that - I don't know why they don't just give a booster every few years? I don't know enough about it but I would speculate it is a cost thing, if very few people get a bad case when they are younger (and since it isn't contagious) doesn't make financial sense from a public health perspective to fund primary series then boosters.

Shingrix has only been approved for use in the U.S. since 2017 so I don't know how they could be recommending boosters at four years yet when it's just been four years it's been in use. I'm sure there will be future directives if supposed efficacy is stated at four years AND if there are a number of breakthrough infections that start showing up. The literature says they expect it to last longer than the four years. But ya know...pesky data.

Does anybody know if the four years is based on observed shingles cases in vaccinated subjects in long-term trials, or is it just that they can't make claims for efficacy beyond four years because they don't have sufficient trial data beyond four years?
  • 33gail33
    edited October 2021

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

Shingrix has only been approved for use in the U.S. since 2017 so I don't know how they could be recommending boosters at four years yet when it's just been four years it's been in use. I'm sure there will be future directives if supposed efficacy is stated at four years AND if there are a number of breakthrough infections that start showing up. The literature says they expect it to last longer than the four years. But ya know...pesky data.

Oh I don't know that much about vaccine manufacture and testing, I guess I assumed they would have the efficacy data from long term trials before they approved the vaccine for use. I know the Covid vaccine was rushed through but I thought that most other vaccines had full data on efficacy duration before they were introduced into general use. And I didn't realize it was a brand new vaccine.

At any rate it does make it difficult for one to decide the best route to go if the data isn't in yet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

Oh I don't know that much about vaccine manufacture and testing, I guess I assumed they would have the efficacy data from long term trials before they approved the vaccine for use. I know the Covid vaccine was rushed through but I thought that most other vaccines had full data on efficacy duration before they were introduced into general use. And I didn't realize it was a brand new vaccine.

At any rate it does make it difficult for one to decide the best route to go if the data isn't in yet.

I'm sure there would be a recommended booster at XX interval if it was indicated. I'd get the shots (I did already, in 2019) and then just follow future guidelines.
  • 33gail33

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

I'm sure there would be a recommended booster at XX interval if it was indicated. I'd get the shots (I did already, in 2019) and then just follow future guidelines.

Except the guidelines here say to get it between 65 - 70 and I am only 56. Thus my dilemma. :)
  • cmriverside
    edited October 2021

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

Except the guidelines here say to get it between 65 - 70 and I am only 56. Thus my dilemma. :)

I would get it if you're worried. Why wouldn't you?

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/multimedia/shringrix-50-older.html

• cmriverside
    edited October 2021
    Clinical trial ongoing Shingrix
    Persistence of Protection by Shingrix
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04169009

Study started in July, 2020. Estimated end date of study, March 2023. Only 140 subjects, non-randomized.

I got my Pfizer Covid 3rd shot booster and then the Fluzone Quad the next day. No issues with either one. I believe a relaxed arm and then moving it a lot afterwards helps with the muscle discomfort. My 2nd Pfizer knocked me into a nap on day two, but this third one...nada.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

That's interesting.

That's interesting.

I'm skeptical that that's the reasoning. There are vaccines for other non-contagious diseases that are administered routinely with boosters recommended regularly - tetanus comes to mind. I'm sure there's a cost difference between the tetanus vax and Shingrix because the former has been commoditized for a long time, but I still don't think that would be the basis for recommending Shingrix only for older folks.

I'm sure the incidence and severity of the disease (more common, more severe among elders) is part of what's considered. Possible there are other differences as well, like risk/reward tradeoff, kinds of things that are considered for other medications generally and vaccines specifically.