WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Up early this morning. Could not go back to sleep after Kenneth left for work so got up. Guess that means I slept well. That is a good thing. I am starving so anxious to eat my breakfast. Guess that means my metabolism is working so another good thing. Will exercise later. I have lots of errands to do today. Out of a lot of things. I am leary of trying the cauliflower recipe and I will tell you why. I love cauliflower and always wanted to try them mashed like potatoes. I went to Ruby Tuesday a while back and they had them so I tried them. I was not impressed. A very strong taste that I did not like. Of course I also had asparagus which I LOVE and they were not good either. So I guess just the way they fix them. I will try them adding potato, that sounds better. May pick one up today to try. Tummy is growling so going to eat now. Will try to get back later.
    vicki M
    Have a great day.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies.

i have tried the cauliflower recipe and its awesome, thanks mimi...

i tried something last night that i wanted to share with you all....

FAGE 0% fate plain greek yogurt,(i used a 6oz container) add 1tsp of stevia(or whatever sweetner that you used) and 2tsp of european style chocolate mousse mix(if you find this maybe some jello pudding)...mix all the ingredients ...and i tell i thought i was having a rich creamiy chocolate mousse,,,very yummy!!!!

have a great day
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Anyone know the interpretation of Mary's quote (I think she is away this weekend)
    ad astra per aspera. Something about hope - aspirations??

I am away, but my sister got a router installed so I am lurking on my iPad. "To the stars through difficulties!" It is the Kansas state motto, and I have loved it and adopted it for my life since I was a young child.

Got to run ~ my music awaits!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

A quick hello...

Sally: Don't you love the way cats want to "help"? Glad to have you here.

Pam: Yum...your recipe sounds like a good but healthy treat. I'll have to look for something to mix with my plain yogurt that's similar...

Mary: I like your quote too! Good motto for life.

Vicki: I'll bet if you made the cauliflower recipe yourself that you would like it. I have had the weight watchers recipe which is just the cauliflower and some butter flavored pam along with a little salt and pepper. It was yummy, so adding a couple of potatoes would only make it a bit smoother, I would think. Let us know!

Barbie: I, like you, was a former teacher so September feels the same for me too. I have always loved this time of the year...the fresh, cooler air and as you say, a time of new beginnings. (I just re-read your introduction to September thread post)

Feeling good to be back in a groove with exercise and eating. I just want to stay "here" and not be so up and down. Logging every day, busy or not, is the key. (Note to self...remember this!!!)

Take care, all! Kackie:heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    More packing and moving for me today. I have to say I was TIRED last night! Slept well too. Guess there are some benefits – besides the new place of course.

Despite the confusion of moving, I’m enjoying my new space. I have about the same number of square feet. (It’s small, at just over 700 square feet.) But the space feels much bigger. I have 9-1/2 ft ceilings (vs the 7-1/2 ft ceilings in the mobile home) and lots of windows and a couple of French doors, all with transoms above them.

My 25 ft x 10 ft porch, which runs along one side of my space, and all my windows look out on rolling hills and oak trees. I can see our little orchard (we planted 20 trees) from here too. The mobile home is on the North side of a slope in the midst of a lot of oaks. I’m loving the open feeling and the expansive views.

Lisa, fruits and veggies are always good. I think they saved my life! At the very least, they made it a whole lot easier to keep my calories in line.

Mary, you do a yeoman’s job of keeping up on birthdays. I’ll say Happy Birthday to all the September babies … and to the August babies. I think I missed you.

Michele, I’m curious about why the guy at the bowling alley thought Vince was a musician or hippie? Long hair? I’ve always pictured him as looking more conventional. Goes to show.

Birdie, about the measurement changes, maybe some strength exercises would help. I read a book a while back that I think applies. The author, who was a professor at Tufts, worked with lots of women including the frail elderly in nursing homes who had all sorts of health problems, from diabetes to heart disease, on a program of weight lifting. Every one of them gained tremendously in strength very quickly. Their balance improved too which is something I’m beginning to think about. I’d bet that, as their muscle tone improved, their inches decreased. Might be worth a try. For anyone who’s interested, the name of the book is “Strong Women Stay Young.”

BTW, from everything I’ve read, most of the strength people lose as they age and weight they gain is due to inactivity rather than from getting older. We do lose some as we get older but not nearly as much as we do from being less active.

Viv, sounds like you have a busy life. Let us know how the Celidh goes. Sounds like a lot of fun. Hang in there.

Jeanne, you sound good. Keep at it, one day at a time. You’ve got the right attitude.

Vicki, not everything is for everybody. Do you usually like cauliflower? If not, you might want to skip the recipe. There are lots of other good veggies. BTW, I’m with you on the asparagus. Love it. Especially roasted or grilled. Actually, I’ll take it any way I can get it except over cooked!

Pam, the chocolate mousse sounds like a nice treat. I’ll enjoy trying it.

Mary, hope you’re enjoying the festival.

Kackie, you are doing great. If we keep up the fruits and veggies and log everything – the sooner we log them the better – I think we will keep doing well. This is a beautiful time of year. I’m thankful it’s cooled off some.

Time for some more moving. Today should finish it up. Then on to painting the kitchen cabinets. I’m intimidated by the idea but determined to do it.

:heart:
  • sallyjcu
    Options
    Many thank you's for all of your posts! Thanks to y'all, did those upper body weights yesterday, thought aerobically today (well, so now I gotta do it...du-uh), and now I know, Pam, what to do with that European Mousse in the pantry so I don't eat the whole darn thing at once (Yay..that is a great recipe.)

Maybe, Mimi, some great music while you are working so hard. Have to admit, though, just the description you gave to us was a gift. Peaceful, expansive; nice vistas!

Mary, that is beautiful ; )

Okay, on my way...aerobically. (and, I huffed and I puffed..and, if they had a jumpin' jack smiley I'd put it here.):heart:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    still here but having trouble logging in. I still am missing my bosco. R.I.P. my friend
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just put all my 16/18 clothes in a bag and taking them to Gods closet. It feels so good to be in 12/14. Time to celabrate a bud select 55. Just one. Time to look at posting a new photo
    Joyce
  • grabbit97
    Options
    OS Doc was thrilled with progress... happy and said incision looks great, keep up the good work, and said I could GOLF again!!! How about them apples..

Won't Golf until I get to AZ, which is October 10...

It's getting cold here, it's 49 right now in Chicago land... we are going to a football game on Sautrday, hope it warms up a bit.

Our daughter might come with the baby in March, when it warms up a bit in AZ, usually March is a gorgeous time of year..

My weight seems to be bouncing between 2 lbs, my blood sugar is much better now, they took me off the insulin, and added one more pill in the morning to try and get the overnight reading that I do in the morning down a bit.

Natalie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Vicki - I have had the mashed cauliflower at Ruby Tuesday and I may know what you don't like about it. It has quite a bit of garlic in it. I always order it because of the garlic. So maybe you will like it if you don't put garlic in.

I loved the Fage yogurt and mousse powder idea. I do something similar but I add PB2 (peanut butter powder) and sometimes a bit of cocoa powder. I also love the Greek yogurt with a chopped up kiwi in it and a bit of honey.

I may be able to eat it anymore though. The last time I tried it I got a reaction to the lactose in the yogurt. That's never happened before with yogurt. Next time I'll take a Lactaid pill and just try 1/2 a cup instead of a full cup of yogurt. I will NOT be a happy person if I have to give up my yogurt and cheese. :grumble: I don't miss the milk but I sure would miss my cultured milk products!

My ticker is finally honest and I intend to post a loss sometime here soon. I was happy to see the 180's but now I just want to see them behind me! I feel so much better when I eat lots of lean protein, veggies, fruit and fill in with whole wheat bread, cheese and yogurt. I do not need white flour and sugar and don't miss it once I stop eating it. I am going to look for the shiritaki noodles this weekend. I hear that Publix has them. I hope the ones close to me have them. Have any of you tried them yet?

You know, I really think my arthritis gets better when I stop eating sugar and white flour. I don't normally eat much of it but I think I am going to try for as little as possible and see how the arthritis reacts. I have been doing some reading and there are quite a few sources that talk about foods that are inflammatory to the joints and tissues. Who knows if it's true but for me it's one more reason to try to stay away from something that I know really isn't good for me anyway.

Time to get dinner around.

Had to edit - proofreading is your friend... :ohwell:

Faye
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Thurs!It`s almost the end of the day.Finding time now to catch up.I agree VIV it is hard to catch up sometimes,if you miss a day or so.
    Joyce-how exciting to be in a new size.I have that job ahead of me.Not sure what size- xl I think.As I unpack I`m trying them on.I just hope I don`t have to donate all my clothes.Don`t have money to buy a new bunch.I did pick up a sweater for the winter and a nice jean jacket 16-18 at a garage sale.Sure beats the 3x a use to wear in 2005.
    Faye-I heard about the sugar and white flour for arthritis.My dr goes even farther and wants me to stick with br rice and grains and veg and fruits and lean meats and dairy.I notice if I do what he says my arthritis in my knees aren`t as bad.You can`t loose anything if you try.I know everyone`s body is different.
    Natalie,great report form the Dr.Keep up the good work
    Jeanne-The treatment helped Mon.Do my own treatments 3xa day with a tens unit.I also ice.I know the days I bend and over do it.I`m in pain.It`s so hard not to bend if you drop something or even in the kitchen.I`m trying tho.
    Everyone who I missed have a great night.
    Keep pulling along if you are struggling.I know it took 25 years to put my wt on and it has been since 2006.Im not at my goal yet,But I`m not a quitter and I`m doing it-1 day at a time.
    Hugs to you all special people
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 50 min of Jillian Michaels Shred It With Weights DVD today. Tomorrow I'll take the water aerobics, then probably go to the post office. I'm not going to go to the yoga tomorrow...it's just too boring for me. Someone else at the tai chi who used to go said the exact same thing, so it's not just me.

Viv - what is a celidh? Have a good time at the party!

Jeannie - I usually plan my menu one week in advance for exactly the same reason, so that I can go shopping and know that I have all the necessary ingredients in the house. The only exception is if we're going to be having leftovers.

mimi - yes, Vince has long hair (even tho it is gray and thinning). When we moved to NC 4 years ago, he got it cut right before he had his pic for his license taken, then didn't get it cut for another 2-1/2 yrs. I finally said to him that I'd grow my hair long (he likes it long, I find it a pain, especially when I'm exercising) if he'd get his hair cut and donate it to Locks for Love. Which he did. That was about 6 months ago. He hasn't gotten it trimmed since then. I told him that if he doesn't get his hair trimmed and keep it looking neat, then I'm getting my hair cut. The other guy (Ken) who got his hair cut at the same time (his hair was long, in a pony tail) also donated his hair but he's gotten it trimmed. Wasn't the book "Strong Women Stay Young" written by Miriam Nelson? She came to speak at the Y where we were and I'm so sorry to this day that I didn't go to hear her speak. I, too, love asparagus. One way that I do not like it, tho, is when it's frozen.

Joyce - WTG, girl on those 12/14's. Doesn't that feel great to do? It feels even greater when you donate them. Trust me, it really does. To know that you're helping someone because you've lost weight, what a great motivator!

Natalie - Woo Hoo! Fantastic news from the doc, absolutely fantastic. Glad and you're off one med. Is this the first time he's taken you off the med or had he taken you off it earlier?

Faye - I've had the shirataki noodles. I really like them. I understand some people don't like thier rubbery texture, but that doesn't really bother me. I actually prefer them to the spaghetti that Vince'll have

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    still here but having trouble logging in. I still am missing my bosco. R.I.P. my friend

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about Bosco..:cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: hang in there
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morming ladies!
    Friday is my weigh in day and I lost 3 lbs. I guess starting to exercise4 again and doing my menu dailey has helped. Down is better than up!

I wasn't sure if I wanted to log the weight loss but then decided that part of the program is logging everything. I'm just so scared that I'll gain it back. Pray for me all that I either keep going down or at least stay the same.

Got to get todays menu done and get ready for physical therapy.

God Bless all!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

im so sorry about Bosco...:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    Options
    good Morning, Ladies!

A bit on rain here on the mountain, so maybe we will head down to town and go to a movie. Haven't done that in a while.

Jeanne: Way to go on the 3 pounds! Good for you!

Kathy: So sorry too for your lose.

JaneMartin: Let me know how the white sugar/flour and arthritis goes. I have heard that as well. I think so many things we eat have an affect on our health...it's worth a try for sure!

Faye: Good to hear from you. I have never tried shirataki noodles...at least not that I am aware of. Sounds interesting. Are they more nutritious than other types?

Mimi: Hope that you are finishing up the boxes and that your kitchen cabinets are all done by now! Thinking of you:-)

Ok, logged every single thing for 4 days straight. It is so easy when nothing too out of the ordinary is going on. Still, I am determined to get this into a habit that I do NO MATTER WHAT! It helps so much.

HAve a great day, all. Kackie:heart:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    TGIF!:bigsmile: I’ve been lurking and haven’t had time to respond to the posts,:ohwell: but thank you to everyone who had ideas about exercising etc. to trim my growing waist down.:flowerforyou:

Congratulations Jeanne and everyone who had a good week losing weight.:flowerforyou: Hang in there those who are struggling.:drinker: :drinker:

I need some advice I need to do more than my treadmill and walking and I would be interested in doing some of those interaction program like Wi-Fit? I have no idea what’s out there or what kind of equipment I need to purchase to use it:huh: . Right now I’m thinking of buying additional equipment so I can streamline my Netflix Movies and I notice some of the players mention WI –Fi. Is that the same equipment that I would use to accommodate programs like Wi-Fit or is it something else? Not up on the new technology, as you can see.:ohwell:

Also Gut & Butt (Kackie) sounds like a DVD? Is it hard and do they have it for beginners or old ladies?:laugh:
    I really need to have some variety in my exercise! I look at Michele and others and admire the number of different things they do to keep fit.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I DO think that some of those activities would help me to firm up as the treadmill is just firming my legs. Any advice?

BirdieM:heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Good morning. Up with the birds again this morning. For me, these days, that’s almost 7 am. :tongue: Retirement has its perks.

Sally, great idea about the music. I forget to turn it on. Good for you for weight lifting. :flowerforyou: I’ll move mine in this morning and, by golly, start using them.

Kathy, I’m sorry you lost Bosco. He must have been a good companion.:cry:

Joyce, woo hoo for size 12-14. :flowerforyou: That’s my goal for this year. A new pic is a great idea.

Natalie, a big congrats – on the golf, the weight and the insulin (no more!) :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I remember when you were frustrated at your slow progress. You have done great! Slow and steady wins the race.

Faye, Someone in the group mentioned a while back that some people react to both the lactose and whey. That’s a bummer because even things like cheese, that don’t have much lactose, contain whey.

Amen about feeling better when we eat better. Hurray for you for a healthy way of eating. :happy: It’s possible to lose weight on “whites” but I’m not sure it’s possible, it’s certainly not easy, to keep it off. I’ve done it (lost and regained) too many times. The new way of eating (fruits, veggies, a little meat, whole grains, etc.) is the first time I’ve kept weight off for a significant period of time in, oh, about 40 years. The poss:laugh: ible effect on arthritis is yet another reason to avoid the overly refined food.

Being a former tech writer, I can’t stop myself from proofreading either.

Jane, wow for the XL. :flowerforyou: If you have a good thrift shop nearby, you might be able to pick up some clothes for not too much. I like the ones near my folks that are run by the hospital auxiliaries. The doctors wives tend to donate, and they tend to donate nice things.

Michele, I had such a different picture of Vince. :laugh: That’s the interesting thing about knowing each other only online. In person, we tend to make judgments based on looks (everyone of us who’s been very overweight knows about that). Either way though, the longer we know each other, the more full the picture.

Woo hoo on the exercise. You always do a great job.:flowerforyou:

Jeanne, a big congrats on the weight loss. :flowerforyou: You got a nice reward for all your hard work. Just keep on doing the same thing and you’ll keep losing – and getting fitter too. You’re getting healthier!

Kackie, you’re inspiring me to log no matter what. :heart: It’s easier when we’re in our own houses and don’t have others to feed. It’s the “no matter what” that’s hard. We can do it!!

One more day of packing and toting bins should do it. (I seem to keep saying that!) Then I’ll start on the kitchen cabinets. I expect that will take a few days. I’m told it’s best to let them sit for 5 days before handling them so the paint can harden up. I won’t care…I’ll be in Tahoe. :wink: Can’t wait.

I’m still hovering just about 190. I think I have a psychological block. :noway: I know it’s not magic. It’s all about eating right and exercising and I WILL lose the weight. Come on now, Mimi, you can do it.

:heart:
  • kackie
    Options
    Hi Birdie: The Gut N Butt exercises are floor exercises that you do and are very simple. Last year Jeanne posted them when her daughter was doing them for Physical Therapy and several of us started doing them. I can tell you that when I do them 3 or more times a week, I can tell that my waist and middle is tighter by the way my clothing fits. Who still has the instructions out there? Barbie? They only take 10-15 minutes and are very effective. The Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a DVD and there are 3 levels that only take 20 minutes a day. They are a combination of weights, abdominal and cardio and they also are very effective.

I haven't tried the Wi Fi, except our youngest son has it and I have done the tennis game with him. I don't know all of the options for fitness but I think there are quite a few.

Good for you for continuing to strive for a better and better fitness level!

Michelle: I am going to look for Strong Women stay young and the authors name is helpful. I have picked it up in the past but not bought it and hear that it is very good. Thanks for bringing that title up, Mimi!

Bye again! Kackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Gut 'N' Butt :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvis up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. Whatever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one leg at a time so that your calf is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.