60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi yall. It's been pretty quiet lately... Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I know as the days get shorter and the weather gets ugly some of us tend to hibernate more and more.

I tried an experiment in Oct to see how FEW meds (optional Rx ones) I could take. I had noticed over the years that for sleep I had started using more each week. Now this is a person who up until 55 or so just always slept thru the night. Now of course there is the getting up a couple times to pee etc but no reason not to go back to sleep quickly right?

Anyway, what I had noticed was that I would have a couple restless nights and then decide to take something to sleep. And would sleep like a charm. What if? I asked myself I was ALWAYS going to sleep well on that 3rd night and really did not need the Rx (lunesta, t3 etc) ? So my experiment in Oct was to just stop. It turns out I was always going to sleep well after a few restless nights and taking something was just extra and not needed. I really hate taking meds because I know they make me foggy. Even OTC ones like melatonin give me the creeps sometimes.

I did have about 2 nights during the month where I had a headache and did take a 1/4 tab of something to help with that but overall I would say a success. Honestly I think it is a good thing sometimes to step back because in my opinion the more we take these type meds the less effective the same dose is (which is the first step to addiction perhaps).

So... just chatting away for Oct. Happy Halloween Everyone!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77
    The orchids are beautiful and I agree with the glasses, the pop of color!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    I didn't quite meet my FINAL goal for 11/1. First November 1st goal was 190, met that early. Then second goal was 185, met that early. Third was 182.2, met that early. Last goal for Nov 1 was 180 or 179.9 lbs. Weighed 180.8lbs on Wednesday 10/27, then did my usual uptick a few days before a drop. Was at 182 for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hoping for the 179.9 or 180 for today but was 181. Guess I could still probably get it tomorrow AM?

Also my scale with fat/muscle/water/bone percentage's worked today. It hasn't been since I started. I was told by someone from the Homedics company customer service, that it wouldn't work because of the increased amount of metal in my leg from a Tibial Plateau fracture in 2015. (I had barely weighed myself since then). It had worked before with metal from a ankle fracture in 1992. All I can think of that my fat percentage was too high before. Its now at 49% with 74 lb loss and 59 lb goal to lose yet. I know they arent super accurate but give you an idea of approximate.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Happy Halloween, for those who live in places that celebrate it. On the chit-chat front:

We finally have some Fall color here, but it's probably not going to last long. We haven't had a killing frost yet, and we're around 10 days past the average date. Last night, my rowing club did a Halloween row in the barge right around sunset, plus yummy snacks. (Among 10 rowing participants - which is almost a third of the total membership of our tiny club - 5 of us in our 60s, one 75, one well over 80. The other 4 were 30s/40s. We rowed about 6k, so just under 4 miles, though I and another woman took turns at non-rowing rudder duty, with me on rudder for around 1k.) I made orange-flavored cream-cheese stuffed dates with toasted almonds, there were brownies, cupcakes, tortilla chips with salsa, Soul Cakes, homemade caramel corn, cider, and more.

Between the highly caloric but delicious snacks, and the fact that my food scale broke on Friday, I have only the vaguest idea how many calories I ate yesterday . . . i.e., lots. Generally, that's fine with me, though I admit I'm in the midst of my traditional Fall food-cravings creep. It seems to happen every year, as the days get shorter, my appetite spikes and my ability to moderate doesn't keep up. I don't know whether this is my Scandinavian genes telling me to plump up to survive Winter, or what. 🙄 It happens about the same time my outdoor exercise decreases due to weather risks, while I'm still in denial so I don't pick up my Winter workout schedule right away. By this point (going into year 6 of maintenance soon), I'm not super stressed about this, knowing it has sorted itself out eventually . . . but jeez. 🙄

On a happier note, this is happening at my house lately: I think the orchids appreciate the dividing/repotting I gave them last Fall. Two are blooming now (one is pretty dramatic), another two are in bud (but often blossom drop before opening, so fingers crossed). These are the rattiest looking orchid plants ever, but when they rebloom it makes me really happy.

Dendrobium glomeratum, bloom only about 1" across. The droplets are because I just misted.

zw1gh0ug2ma9.jpg

Adelaide Meadows 'Lime Cocktail' x Adelaide Charmer 'White Lips'. This is a nice cluster, blooms each about 2.5" high/wide and lightly spicy-scented, though photo is before some of the buds opened.

yk9upnkuiskg.jpg

Oh, and I got new glasses: Uncharacteristically fuchsia/magenta, but I liked the pop of color with my gray hair and pale skin color, rather than darker, more neutral options.
    khuep6eqy1c1.jpg
    Apologies if that's a scary photo!

Flower pix are lovely. Good lookin’ glasses!

• swimmom_1
    Options
    Didn't make my 11/1/21 goal of 180 lbs or less. :-( But I did lose 30.2 lbs from 8/1-11/1/21 so can't complain. Stayed on track with calories, carbs, water and exercise so just a normal weight fluctuation. Hoping to lose 15 lbs till 1/31/22 in a challenge. The 10 lbs/month has got to slow down at some point soon. Starting November at 181.8 lbs.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    @Gardensoul57 - Welcome to the group!

@swimmom_1 - Congratulations! That is awesome progress. You should make your 1/31 goal, even if your rate of loss slows down some.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Can any one tell me if there is a way to report unacceptable friend requests? I've had several that were questionable and got one today which showed her naked crotch and I hate to see a valuable sight turn into this. I obviously decline but hate getting such filth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Hi all. Can any one tell me if there is a way to report unacceptable friend requests? I've had several that were questionable and got one today which showed her naked crotch and I hate to see a valuable sight turn into this. I obviously decline but hate getting such filth.

You can report them using this form:

https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

(It's a real, official MFP thing, just using a Zendesk utility.)

If it's more than a basic report (like sometimes there are Catphishing scams or something, horrifyingly!), then other options are:

Email to support@myfitnesspal.com

Or use the Help function.

On the web, click "Help" near the top of the page kind of to the right of center, then "Submit a Request" at the upper right of that page.

In the phone/tablet app, click "Help" in the main drop-down menu, then "Contact Support" on the page that results.

Either one of those two above will get you to a form where you can describe the problem.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info on how to report I appreciate it. This site is too valuable to many and I don't want to see it ruined. 😊😊