WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I am so jealous of you having warm weather

KJ -I finally checked out those toys. I think he may like the Magnatite (or however you spell it). I am also thinking about one of those rugs that you play with cars on.

Tomorrow is supposed to be real nice so I told them at the soup kitchen that I just got back from Iowa (really, I got back yesterday) and at the Green Room that I couldn’t volunteer since I want to help Vince put out the decorations.

BK called here this morning. I’d already left but they asked if I was coming in. I guess they have people who leave and then don’t come back. When I got there another girl who I guess usually does the prep on the weekends went to see her father in Vietnam so they asked me if for the next month would I work Saturdays. I told them I don’t see a problem since it’s only for a month. I don’t think I’d want to do it as a routine, but for one month? That I think I can handle. I do need to ask them if they are open for Christmas and New Years. I wouldn’t think for Christmas but perhaps New Years. I also want to ask if they want me for New Years since that will be 5 weeks. I’m not sure when the other gal is getting back. They were appreciative of my coming back, tho.

In one sense I wouldn’t be too upset if Denise (no,I really mean when) decides not to come down here. So much less to have to do. Want to get my cards written soon. Vince finished putting the lights on the tree and he’s pretty close to getting the special ornaments (that need to be plugged in) on the tree.

We probably should go to the Newcomer Christmas general meeting. I just found out that everyone is supposed to bring a dozen cookies. What a pain! Looks like that’ll be something more that I have to do. I thought they were having it catered. Guess not.

Went to Hamrick’s to see about new shoes for work. The ones I got don’t look fashionable, but they do have a vinyl top so if I spill pickle juice or tomato seeds on them, I can wash it off. Stopped at Gabe’s to see about a bra (Hamrick’s didn’t have any in my size at a price I was willing to pay). Gabe’s only had the 2 packs and I don’t want a 2 pack unless both of them are white, and you know that’s not going to happen. But I did find 2 pocketbooks at a decent price that I thought were cute. Then went to Aldi’s

Terri – best of luck tomorrow

Mary – how proud you must be to have your nephew in your family! How enterprising!

Rebecca – marshmallow/molasses...yum. Care to share?

Beth – I’m with you, I’m tired of Covid, too. It’s not going to go away, it’s a flu just like any other flu. You’ll have all sorts of variants, just like you do with the flu. I’m also tired of anyone saying “get vaccinated”. If someone hasn’t yet, they probably for whatever reason won’t so harping on it isn’t going to help. I’m sorry about your dad.

Kim – wonderful!

Rori – Jess goes to colorado next week. University of Colorado is it? Glad to hear it’s been warm. I take prolia for osteoporosis. It’s just one injection every 6 moths. It seems to be working for me since it goes directly into the blood system and doesn’t go into the digestive tract first.

Kate – beautiful knitting

Heather – what a wonderful thing to happen! What a great author you are!

Called and got an appointment to get my hair cut next month. Of course, she’s all booked up for December. Well, I’ll live.

Tracey – what a beautiful wreath!

I’m enjoying the Robert Heinlein books.

Michele back in NC

Two products....
    r6nislvz9op0.jpg
    Put marshmallow on cookie inverted, and nuke 15-20 seconds until it puffs up. Add another cookie, smash gently. Its delightful.🙃😊
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    ks7ee876ljzs.jpg
    I was in total shock tonight at our community bingo game. They played the last three numbers that I needed to win one right after the other!! My husband was watching and he was just as shocked as I was!

<3 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota

Oooh congrats friend!
  • Whidislander
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Today was wild rice, and chicken broth making day! I made a beef kielbasa sausage, yellow onion, wild rice and spinach mixture. My first bite I found this!nq0uzytwufdm.jpg
    t803nedzoy3v.jpg
    j0rra5ts7g44.jpg
    zgnv6ksjreo9.jpg
    oqkatxsdgs0i.jpg
    A piece of metal the size of a grain of rice was in my rice!! I sent an email to customer service. So we'll see what happens.
    Rebecca
    I almost ate more iron than I should today!
  • Whidislander
    Options
    I saved a grain of wild rice to show how big the piece of metal was. And the pen for comparison.
    Rebecca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Wow 😳 you're lucky you didn't swallow it!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    Well ive been awake since 1:45 am and am hoping to get a couple more hours sleep..
    Sometimes I guess you just have those nights and last night was one of them...
    Well almost a month out until the new grandbaby arrives.. i brought Carmine home after guitar lesson last night and bless Tracys heart she had a chair in the kitchen watching a video on her tablet while she cooks....
    She is getting all sorts of comments from customers at work saying how many you have in there etc... the poor girl is itty bitty and carrying everything out front
    She did a deep clean yesterday so that should be all set ,and she basically has most of the stuff up in the nursery.. but this weekend she will put clothes away,diapers etc...
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    December: leaner/stronger/kinder than November.
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, coffee and shopping with D
    Bonus: Post Office, gas, quick walk with C.
    Just one thing: 30 mins decluttering office,
    Do good December
    2: Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are=note to Jen
    3: Offer to help someone facing difficulties at the moment=same as note to Jen yesterday.

Time to stop ordering clothes, hoping something will feel good and make me feel pretty. Returning a few poor choices.
    Note to self: Next time tempted to order clothes, invest 5 mins in line dancing or walking the dogs and see if that doesn’t make you feel way better.

Rori do you take Vitamin K2 to help stave off the osteopenia? Love the image of Mars taking you for frequent walks.
    Machka your gravel path, are you edging or digging out and levelling before filling in? Your hard work is inspiring me to give thought to the paths needed in our side yard, to minimize next winter’s mud intake ;)
    Rebecca hahahaha. Sure hope she’s not freaked out by Athena’s internet aunties ! :laugh: Metal in rice? Yikes! Glad you caught it before it punctured your innards! Your smashmallow molasses cookie sandwiches have my mouth watering, but you forgot the Hershey’s special dark chocolate ;)
    Kate beautiful work!
    Lisa, think the tears were just the feedback the VA pharmacy tech and gastro nurse needed to push back up the line. VA prescriptions should NOT be prohibitively expensive. You’ve already paid with your service. Sounds like you have a country western hit!
    Heather Overjoyed at your good news. Excellent encouragement for your going out of your comfort zone. You are growing so much!
    Barbie “…happy to spend money on…” Jake’s care. Amen sister. Feeling grateful we have the option.
    Vicki no answers just more tests, how frustrating. Prayers the Rheumatology appointment gets some options for improvement and your DH feels better soon.
    Kim how scary for your mom not to tell you. Not calling emergency services to avoid interrupting the neighbors would make me crazy.
    Katla so glad to hear you enjoyed the trip, that you’re safe at home and that you plan to travel again. Does this mean a visit to your daughter?
    Margaret “the raccoons... never learned…” :laugh: But it really isn’t funny, they can be so destructive and even aggressive. :{
    Allie glad the MRI came out well and Carmine loved the afghan.
    Annie your dusty salad in the refrigerator made me snort my water. I have its match in mine!
    Pip Yuuuuck! Poopy butt is the second worst thing about having dogs.
    Suebdew shame on that lab!
    Tina thanks for the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry recommendation. Sounds like something I’d enjoy ;)
    Michele Robert Heinlein was my all time favorite SF author. Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Glory Road, even all the juveniles. Love ‘em.
    Mary sounds like your nephew is doing well on so many levels: innovation, affordable quality and community participation, what concepts! Bingo Bonanza, woo HOO!
    KJ you paint a lovely autumn picture of “Pumpkin” perched in the tree, batting leaves as they fell. You’re right, it’s a different world now with so much traffic (and so many mean people.) It will not be easy for Mort’s family to transition him to an inside cat, Petunia howled at the window every night for a month. But it’s worth doing. Outside cats average lifespan: 2 yrs. Inside cats with care can make it to 17 and some beyond. Reading about your countdown calendar I’m reminded how much I long to be one of your kiddos.

Lighter, lovelies!
    xtleq76fye4u.gif
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Most cats in the UK go outside. I'd never heard of an inside cat until this thread. I suppose if you live on Oxford Street........?
    Cats wander around our neighbourhood and gardens. Not dogs though.

I've been spending the morning looking at my old (very old, some) poems again. I want to publish them, but I'm wondering how to present them. They definitely tell a story. I would like to write a personal growth book and I may be able to combine the two. I am struck by how miserable I was much of the time, but I did not remember how very angry I was. So glad I am not that sad, mad person now. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) Here's what I do well each day:
    *drink water
    *log food and exercise
    *walk dogs for two hours or more
    *walk alone for 20 minutes in the evening
    *ride my exercise bike for two hours or more while knitting and watching TV with Jake
    *meditate
    *join with friends online for a spiritual meeting once or twice a day
    *make sure the bills are paid and food for us and the pets are ordered
    *reply to emails and phone messages
    *read for fun and learning

:'( Here's what gets neglected:
    *vacuuming
    *dusting
    *mopping

"The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."
    Lin Yutang

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Your right
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! It feels like it has been a busy week; but work wise it has been pretty normal. With the new baby here, I now have 9 here every day. I am back to "baby wearing". I have a front pack carrier that if the baby is fussy, she goes in there. As I get older, I am finding this is not easy on me. Tim holds her alot; but she is a little colicky I think. We have been using all of my tried and true colicky baby soothers and holds. As per most colicky babies, she doesn't like the cradle hold, she also is not fond of over the shoulder. Absolutely NO sitting while holding her. I do the "doctor" hold quite a bit. One hand under her bum (so she is sitting on your hand) and the other hand at her collar bone/chin supporting her head and neck. Then just wiggle her bum a bit. My arms are getting a work out. Plus side, Tim is having to do a bit more with the other kiddos. I can do this. Baby should outgrow the colic in a month. Then she will be ready for more "independence" from me. Woo-hoo!
    Mary- Add my admiration to your nephew! Making something out of nothing more than an idea in your head is not easy for anyone; much less a young man of his age! Well done! And "well done, you" at bingo! A nice chunk of change just in time for the holidays!
    Michele- A car carpet is a great idea!
    Rebecca- Ugh! Good luck with the rice company! I agree; nobody needs that much iron in their diet!
    Katla- So glad you made it home safely! Your visit with the kids sounded wonderful!
    Lisa- Glad to hear your daughter and her husband are on speaking terms. Long distance marriage. So hard on everyone! Hope she and the kids will be able to spend some time with you and Carey!
    Terri- Hope your procedure went well! (you are six or seven hours ahead of me; so I am guessing it is done).
    Flea- Aww! Your son looking at you and proclaiming that you look healthy brought a tear to my eye! Just when we think our kids (specially teens) are unobservant, they prove that they take in more than we think. Hugs for you both!
    Pip- One of my favorite pics of your "fur family" is the one with the three on the porch. (I think it is Bullwinkle, Floyd, and Yogi.)
    Heather- congrats on the story being published! Is Bea a perfectionist? I have a little guy that reacts to games the same way (he is 6). When we craft or build things he gets very VERY upset when it doesn't turn out the way he thinks it should. So hard to teach kids that doing something perfectly takes patience and PRACTICE. Most people don't get things right (or win the game) every time (or even the first time)! She will figure it out.
    Allie - When is Tracy due? I am also on "baby watch" as today is my daughter's due date! This guy seems to want to hang out inside mama for a while, though.
    Rori- You and Mars make quite the pair. I can just imagine you on your many walks around the neighborhood. Mars regally surveying all that is his...

Rori's story about Mars walks reminded me of a little orange kitty that visits my backyard quite often. (I think I have mentioned him before). Probably three or four days a week, when the kids and I are outside playing in my back yard, a little orange cat will walk along the split rail fence and play in the leaves and climb trees just inside my property line. We called him Pumpkin; as it was fall when he first showed up. I always have the kids stay away from him. He seemed very skittish and not interested in them touching him. I thought for a while that he was a feral cat. We just seemed very sweet and would leap and jump and try to catch the leaves as they were falling from the trees. Then he would climb the trees and bat at the leaves from wherever he was "perched". Anyway, a former childcare family posted on our city page, that they were looking for "Mort"! They live about a block away from me, so I figured that our Pumpkin was in fact "Mort". Mort made it home that night and is being chipped and fitted for a collar. They will be trying to keep him inside. lol I know a lot of people frown on letting your pets roam; but I grew up with random cats and dogs meandering through my yard. Our own pets would amble about the neighborhood unleashed and always return after a night of adventuring. Kitty would lay out her "gifts" to us on the front porch (a couple chipmunks, a field mouse or two, and one time a snake). The dog would never tell us of his adventures; but my dad often caught sight of him dumpster diving behind Burger King and would pick him up, on his way home from his third shift job, and bring him home. I don't know, just seeing a little orange kitty jumping at leaves and walking a split rail fence took me back.

Well, I managed to make two family meals this week (one family chose Lemon Parmesan Chicken Picatta; another chose Black Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries) the third meal I will be making tomorrow morning. Assorted muffins and fruit salad. I will drop it off on my way to the store (grocery shopping).

The kids and I also started our Christmas Countdown on Wednesday. I don't know if you remember, I have a garland of children's christmas socks hung (like stockings) along my fireplace mantle. Each sock holds a card with a Christmas activity to do. Wednesday was "Attach jingle bells to your coat or shoes", Thursday was "Make Christmas cards for the neighbors" and today is "take a cold winter walk". We will walk (not that cold, though) and deliver our cards.

Time for me to fly! Sending warm hugs and well wishes to all who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Off to Annapolis today for lunch with a college buddy. Then I will trim Teddy's feet, cook dinner and tonight I will schedule that booster shot I kept thinking would happen by itself. Busy day!

I finally started putting my to do list on my calendar on my phone. Then today's chores show up on the front screen. It seems to help.

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    Carol - Happy birthday to the DH! Chinese food sounds wonderful.

Barbara AHMOD - Thank you for the comment on my service. When I was finishing up my basic training, we were all advised not to wear our Class As (formal uniform with ribbons and whatnot) while traveling. The trauma of the MaiLai massacre had never really healed, even though it had been ten years, and Saigon fell three years prior to me entering the Air Force. I never heard "thank you for your service" even once. Not a good time to tell people you were military. Much has changed for the better on that front.

Beth - I'm glad your son decided to step up for Cecil's sake.

Have to run to Walmart to pay the ransom for the next ten-day span of steroids. Am working every angle I can to get reimbursed, but that's looking like a bust as well. And to your point, Barbara, my husband asked me to start buying pocket T-shirts in a large rather than a medium. I'll be swapping two packages of them for the right size. He's finally admitted that he's gained a bit of a paunch, and the medium shirts are now too tight. That was way hard for him to admit, I know.

Need to get moving, in fact!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Kelly I really admire how much fun your daycare children have with you! They are learning a lot of positive behaviors!

Carol have a great Birthday celebration with your DH! 🎂🥳

Busy day today, we're still working on our condo remodel and will be starting the acid stain on the bedroom floor. I'll post pictures when I can, not too easy to do now that they've "improved" their site!

Have a great day everyone!

<3 Mary from Arizona /Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    After walking around the candle shop for awhile..im sitting and letting the girls shop.. my feet started hurting..so will wait until rhey come to find me.they have a whole day planned.. hopefully i live to tell the story lol
  • Whidislander
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Wow 😳 you're lucky you didn't swallow it!

Well I did chew it a second, thought it was a wild rice bit that hadn't cooked enough!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Rori's comments about her leash loving cat and Kelly's reminiscence of Pumpkin reminded me of my pets. When I was really young my older sisters had a turtle. My memory has him being the size of a huge dinner plate, but I was little, so my perception of life was different. We had that label maker where you punched in the letters and numbers and out would come a label that was sticky. His name was "Wanderer" and we put that on a label, along with our phone number. He must've been quite an escape artist because people would call saying they found our turtle, sometimes 5 miles away.🙃😊

My middle son and daughter in law put an Amazon wish list for Athena, so its been really easy to buy a present this year for her. I am not sure what the next step is though, so I shot my daughter in law a message today. Do we just buy it, and it gets sent to their house? Does Amazon wrap them? Should it just come to our house, we wrap it and send to them? She will tell me what they want us to do.💖👍

Today I am having chicken soup, some chicken meat and glorious fluffy dumplings. I'm excited. Its a meal that involves slow cooking, and patience. Simmer them too fast you get golf balls, low heat they are soggy, but just right they are light, and fluffy.
    Take care all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA