WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Kim - I often used to get my students, in Drama, or Creative Writing, to do presentations like that. The best one ever was when I was running a writers' workshop for the British Council in Nairobi. On the last day I asked each student to bring in an object that was important to them, and to talk about it. It was so moving! One of the most glorious, transcendent, 'present', hours of my life.
    Having a 'prop' like that can really help. An old trowel that perfectly fits the hand .... a packet of seeds ..... or ..... or .....
    I hope DH will get the Christmas decorations out of the garage loft today. I'm relenting and putting a tree up in the dining room for the grandchildren's Christmas Eve lunch. A few sparkly lights somewhere and I'm done.
    I will put the timed lights on our outside spruce. It's growing naturally and was here when we moved in. I was reluctant to put baubles on it because in London they would not have lasted five minutes before someone 'knicked' them, but I noticed that all the gardens had decorations, so I hung some out. I lost not a one!

Fiona - If I added up all the money I have cost the NHS over the years, I would have the same reaction! None of us pay a penny. Yes, we are supremely privileged to live right here, right now. Living your best life is the way to pay that back.
    Your depression is understandable, given everything you have been through; your body, and mind, are just tired. But your rationalising is just that - exhaustion. Take your privilege and use it. Every day be grateful and let your cup run over.
    And tell that husband of yours that you don't want to hear any more of his self pity and moaning. Let him get it out one more time, hear it, and then say STOP. This is the beginning of the rest of your life and you only have one of them. Don't waste a minute of the life you have. If you are costing all that money, it had better be a good one!
    Lots of love to you,

and to everyone, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    December: leaner/stronger/kinder than November.
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, dog group
    Bonus: 40 mins vacuuming, 20 mins light cleaning, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet.
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    5: Give a gift to someone who is homeless or feeling lonely: hmm

Some mornings you just want to go back to bed, sleep and start over tomorrow. Learned that if I’m not in the right headspace for dog training, neither am I in the right headspace for cooking. Thought the qinoa looked smaller and darker than I remembered. When I tried to rinse it, it exuded grey glop. Oh wait, were those black chia seeds? REALLY hope those not caught in the strainer don’t glop up our pipes or septic. Did I label the jar? Not yet. :{

Julie that must surely be a dreadful not fun project it if makes home cleaning appealing… ;)
    Flea I had no idea miniature assies were so small. She weighs less than our Skye Terrier, who at 32 lbs is no doubt packing on a few extra.
    Beth those reindeer pancakes sound charming. Glad to hear of the board’s recognition of your service.
    Debbie :love: Tonashi curled up with the reindeer, penguin, etc. Reminded me of when ET hid in the closet full of stuffed animals. Good thing Ezie isn’t on the spectrum, all those doll faces would give me a headache ;) your grandmother’s quilt is lovely.
    Margaret when my cat refused to eat boiled chicken and rice, I started putting a finger full of Gerber strained meat baby food on her tongue. After a day or two she started pushing my hand away and cleaning herself so I set some down on a saucer and she ate. It’s so hard when they won’t eat. Prayers for you and Drew.
    Annie, they might feel awkward too. Take a deep breath and do as Machka suggest, What about no gift? Or a dinner outing instead? Good luck!
    Allie yes please get checked out. When I had pneumonia, my only symptom for the first 4 days was a screaming headache and fever. Went to the doc, took an antibiotic and the coughing began. Ended up in the ER then hospital. Please take care!
    Katla that is a good neighbor!
    Rebecca way fun! Can’t wait to see your custom cover-ups!
    Kim, personalized pillowcases, spiced nuts and chocolate drizzled nuts. Perfect! For the 93 yr old, a clementine in the toe of the sock might prompt some stories of long ago Christmases.
    Katie your Mom is an artist!
    Flea this is the place where you can share those feelings. You and your DH have been walloped and hard. But yes, he did sign up for it (in sickness and in health…) and no you are no more or less deserving of treatment than you are of getting hit with this diagnosis. It happens. You are very very brave to decide to go forward with these treatments to have more time for your son. Bravissima! (and hugs held gently but extra long.)
    Michele careful, that manager might want you to work even more! :laugh:
    Heather loved your wise words to Flea. “…better be a good one” Amen, sister amen!

Lighter, lovelies!
    5az933go803o.gif
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Good evening.

Oh, Allie, I hope you feel better soon so you don't have to go in to be checked out.

Katla, so happy that you are safely back in Oregon. It sounded like you had a wonderful time with your family.

Those aprons are adorable, Katie. I love aprons, and have quite a few, but none as cute as those are.

Feeling a little down tonight, not horribly, just melancholic.
    The severity of my situation has finally hit my husband. I think he was just in survival mode during the chemo and surgery, and he was ready to relax a little and move on. Then we started talking about the medicines I am going to be taking, likely for the rest of my life, and he got very frustrated. He complained, not at me but at the situation, "This is never going to end!" And that is correct. I feel bad for him because this is certainly not what he signed on for, but the alternative really isn't acceptable to either one of us. I have a 15 year old for God's sake. I need to at least make an effort to be here for the next few years!

And this next bit is going to make me sound like a spoiled brat, but I just began to realize how much all of this is costing. I know that sounds entitled, because I haven't seen a bill for months. Literally. I go to pick up my medicines, go to my appointments, no co-pays, not a dime. Apparently my husband's company pays for incredible insurance. (I know it costs them a fortune,) and my deductible must be ridiculously low. I've been stashing money away since I was diagnosed, waiting for the big bill to hit, but I think it isn't. I mean, some of those early scans, I paid a pretty penny out of pocket, but then it was over.

Survivor guilt is a real thing, and I was feeling it last night and most of today. So many people, over the centuries would have just had to suffer and die, perhaps not even knowing for sure why they were sick, and I get scan after scan, medicine after medicine, without a thought for what it is costing. I made the mistake last night of looking up the cost of the nuelasta shot I got after most of the chemo treatments, and I was just aghast.

Sadly, the whole reason this came up is because for the very first time during this experience, my oncologist talked about the cost of something -- the Ibrance. $10,000 a month. No kidding. My insurance will probably pay for it, but she didn't want me to worry about the co-pays, which, she said, can be hefty, because apparently there is some help from somewhere to help cover the costs to the patient.

Anyway, I just feel bad. That's all. One of the first questions my nurse navigator asked me at the beginning of all this was if I was worried about how I was going to pay for everything, and I just said, "No. Not at all." And that ended up being true.

I feel bad because even if he wanted to, my husband really can't quit his job because the insurance benefit is too good.

I'm not looking for any, "you're not a bad person because you haven't had to pay much financially for this disease," but I just felt like I needed to get it out. I need to figure out how to deal with this guilt, and the feeling that I am not deserving. Which is actually true! I am no more deserving of treatment than people who lived in the past or people who do not have financial assistance available to them. Yet, for the luck of living in this time and having the insurance I have, I get benefits that others don't.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Don't worry. In other countries, you wouldn't pay much for your treatment, medication, etc.
    My husband spent 100 days in hospital, including 3 weeks in ICU, plus another 4 months of once-a-week rehab, and we didn't pay a cent.

Working in Health, I have a pretty good idea what it would have "cost".

I'm incredibly thankful we live here!

As for "This is never going to end!"

1) It's better than the alternative.
    2) That's what happens as we get older.
    Almost everyone starts developing issues that won't end until "the end".
    Evidently, the fact that my stomach digests very slowly (so slowly that I need regular medication to process food) won't go away. Also my arthritis will likely just get worse.
    In your case and my husband's case, it was a bit more dramatic.

But it is all exhausting and emotional.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Today, we held the ASH Dash 2021 -- a very challenging 200 km ride with over 4000 metres of climbing. 🌄🗻

We had near perfect weather -- moderately warm temps, blue skies, and not too much wind. ☀️

28 riders started and at least 90% finished or came very close to it. 🎉🎊 That is not bad, given the climbing in this ride.

In next years event, we do need to make the end of the route clearer. 🙂

We had 5 volunteers: One who cycled to two spots to check on the progress of riders, so he did quite a bit of cycling and climbing too. Two who did one "control"/rest stop each - they were at each for several hours. And my husband and me. I organised the event plus we went to a quick "control" early in the ride and then to the finish where we were from about 1:30 pm until 7 pm.

Fortunately, the finish area is a busy part of town with a lot of people walking, cycling and so on ... it was entertaining. Until 3 pm, there was some sort of large children's Christmas party (or something? there were a lot of families and activities going on) across the road from us and we were entertained with music from the 70s and 80s. A horse drawn carriage did its rounds throughout the time. People chatted with us from time to time. And of course riders were coming in.

I'm slightly more sunburned/tanned than I was ... and I'm completely knackered! (So is my husband)

I've been busy getting everything ready to roll for the last 10 days or so. Now it's the tidy up process.

But for tonight, most of the left over groceries etc. are still in the van and can be dealt with later. My husband has gone to bed and I'll be going soon. Right now I'm listening to Christmas music with the Christmas lights slowly blinking on the tree ... yep, we did most of the Christmas decorations this weekend too!

Machka in Oz

vqecholj1ar3.png

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well im awake .. thats about it,got Alfie out and got his food set...and right now im laying low..
    Thing is i have no fever just some shortness of breath and phlegm but feel a little light headed.. so I might just call Tom and have him pick Alfie up..
    Maybe have Trudy drop me off at the ER.. ive used my deductible up for the year.. i hate to go but better safe than sorry
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    FLEA you sound so serene all around. I'm admirative. I'm glad you have good health care. I agree everyone should have it. Like in Aussi here in France everyone gets basic health care, including cancer treatment. So in many countries that is possible but not all. Still glad for those who have it. The fact that the same treatment might be billed 10x more or much more in one country than in another (where the cost of living is not very different) is something to deal with, but quite into a political terrain so I'll leave it at that.

BARBARA I'm sorry about the trouble with training, I hope it went better. I don't mind cleaning and greatly prefer it to filling in formulas and most or all adminsitrative paperwork.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    MICHELE here it's pretty much mostly Pfizer or Moderna, I got 1 and 2 in Pfizer and was just tired, not extremely, with a feeling of punch in arm on 1 for 24h.

Moderna is said to be ever so slightly more efficient so I went for it, but felt the following
    side effect) a bit nauseous, chills all night (sort of feverish feeling very very very thirsty,à , had to cancel stuff, and 2 days later a hot red swollen spot on arm. I called on call sos doctors (covered by low rate insurance and complimentary insurance) and they said I should have someone come by and check it yesterday. I did. he gave me a cortisone cream rub.
    Apparently hot red spreading and swollen after 3 or 4 days is no big deal, but
    the 1% increase in protection doesn't seem worth the side effects. It seems Moderna is about 8-10 % likely to have some of these side effects and Pfizer only about 3% or so. I hadn't really looked into it, and wouldn't expect to be in the 10% anyway, but there it is.

I wasn't reassured by the vaccination place. after getting it clearly Moderna he said, he gave me a certificate saying I had had Pfizer. I had to look It up and have them change it. Just not reassuring.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    BARBARA so interesting about the dog training you've done so far

SUE wow about the credit card. Good you caught it!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    SUNDAY ! I need to work on my yucky file.
    I'm gonna clean first though cause home is in bad shape.
    an hour does magic in a cozy small place!
    I often aim for 15 min kitchen 15 min living 15 min BR 15 min bath, but I think BR will get more as there is laundry to iron and put away and bed to be made.

When it's clean I feel more serene.
    Darn chilly and ...drizzly this morning. I can't be bothered to be out much. I went to "my café" and got a tea and tiny fresh OJ, worked on planning month and week. so much to do. it seems impossible and daunting. some of it, quite a bit, is urgent musts... :/ I'm not good at rushing and filling day after day till work till midnight anymore...
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Lisa - Yes, laughter and talk is a wonderful thing. We laugh a LOT in this house, but I find we get to have more long talks when we go out for a drink or meal. Our other talk time is in bed in the morning when I bring him a cup of tea. I climb back in and we have 'a good natter'.
    Otherwise we spend a lot of the day in separate rooms, writing and reading, and get together for lunch. We reassemble for aperitif around 5 and then have dinner at 6 and watch TV together.

Today DH climbed up into the loft space above the garage and I helped get the Christmas stuff down. We didn't use it at all last year, so I can't remember what is in the bags and boxes.

Now for my afternoon rowing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)<3Flea, My husband has had a bunch of procedures on his heart--some surgical, some day treatment---two spine surgeries, and a long chemo treatment. He has the same feelings you have---gratitude that we have sufficient medical insurance, and a sort of guilt for costing Medicare and our insurance so much money. We have decided that gratitude is the best approach. Warm wishes to you and your husband at this difficult time. Our philosophy is that old age is something that many people never get to have and any day on this side of the grass is a good one.

:)Michelle, We have had excellent customer service from Chewy. One time a huge bag of dry dog food arrived torn and spilling out in the shipping carton. They sent us a new one. Twice there has been a problem getting the flavor of canned dog food we wanted and they gave us a code for 10% off our next order as an apology.

<3Allie, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. You've had a bunch of challenges.

:) Today will be a great day, dog walking, walking with my Sunday friend, a walk to Project Linus with my dog walking friend to drop off knitted blanket and hats, walk at the end of the day while talking to my California friend who calls at 6PM every Sunday. Maybe I'll vacuum or maybe I'll just watch TV, ride my exercise bike, and knit in the afternoon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I liked today's Oprah Archive quote she borrowed from Maya Angelou - "When you know better, you do better."
    Ain't that so! :p
    Just about describes my state of knowledge in my first marriage.

Karen - Such great sentiments in the poem. <3 For me, boundaries, and knowing when to let go, has been huge.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Apple has made a mess of passwords and We are not happy about it. They suddenly decided to make new rules. I hope we can live with the mess and plan to complain about it directly to apple.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! I spent yesterday shopping (groceries; not gifts) and cooking/meal prep. Doesn't sound like much, but it took me a good 6-7 hours. There is rain in the forecast for today. My plan is to get outside and rake along the north side of the house (where the blowing leaves have congregated), get the leaves bagged and take them to the township drop off site. I also need to clean my grill and move my little tykes play houses to the back yard (otherwise they tend to get buried under the snowbanks made from shoveling the drive). I will also be "building" the gingerbread house for the kids and working on a few holiday activity centers.
    Karen VA- Love the poem! So very true and insightful.
    Heather- Yes! "When you know better; you do better." This is a mantra often quoted in my childcare provider circle! I often hear people complain about the constant changes in child rearing. The thing we have to keep in mind; is that it has only been the past 20 years that actual scientific studies and research has begun on the infant to age 5 age group! So much to learn and re learn!
    Lisa- It is rather eye opening to realize that you haven't been your "happy" self. Oddly, I just realized this myself a week or two ago. So glad you and Corey were able to have a relaxing and happy evening of talk and laughter. It truly is gold when life starts to weigh you down. Hugs my friend!
    Flea- PLEASE don't feel guilty about receiving something wonderful like great health coverage. This should be available to everyone. The ones who should be feeling bad ,that it is not available to all, are our government/congresspeople. I will echo the words of the others: notice your gratitude for it. IF that doesn't feel like "enough", donate to a charity or gofundme account for someone in your community who is struggling with healthcare payments, write to your congressmen about fixing the state of healthcare in our country.
    Rebecca- Please share pics of the finished apron! Love the fabrics! Just curious what the writing one says...
    Barbara- Love the dog training ideas! Sorry the training didn't go well with them yesterday; but it sounds like their love for Joe made them lose focus! I haven't made fudge in a couple of years due to the lack of family get togethers. Glad you are making and enjoying it!
    Machka- Oh that final push to get an event running and finished! So much work; but it sounds like everyone had a good time! Glad you could come home and relax! I picture Rhodie (is that your kitty's name?) on your lap as you enjoy the lights.
    Pip- I am sure Yogi made Santa's "nice list"! #goodboyyogi

Had a bit of a "triggering" moment while watching a GBBO holiday show, last night. The bakers had to bake a cake celebrating/commemorating their 21st birthday. As the bakers were remembering what was going on in their lives when they were 21, I thought, "Hmmmm...what was I doing?" Mental time warp back to Mexico. I turned 21 the month before returning home. I had an eating disorder, an STD, was mentally blocking a rape incident, and my head/psyche was a mess. Not a good time. Ended up bawling my eyes out (good thing DH wasn't around). I could not even wrap my head around what that cake would have looked like.

Anyway, we are still on "babywatch". Waiting for #3 to make his entrance. My daughter calls daily; and with every call, my brain thinks, "This is it!" lol So hard. They still don't have a name picked out. (so they say) I think they are going to go with my son in law's name suggestion from when they were pregnant with Joaquin (and later Miguel). After watching Fiddler on the Roof, SIL decided he liked the name Lazar Wolf. lol In my opinion, I would love to introduce a grandchild named Lazar Wolf ____! Epic!

Well, I better get busy! Hohoho and all that. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well here I sit at the walk in,waiting to hear from a radiologist at the hospital to read the xrays they took..
    They did a rapid test and the other covid test,rapid came back negative which i knew it would..
    As my grandpa used to say im just sick and tired of being sick and tired... oh well i can only pray that 2022 will be a better year.
    You all know how much I love my little Alfie
    But with all these health issues and me running here there and everywhere i am seriously thinking of giving him to Tom and Elena .. i could go over and visit whenever I want .. but he has a fenced in yard and i know they love him.. I do too more than he knows,but I want to be fair to him and he is young ,I want him to enjoy walks and running around outside and honestly he isnt getting that with me.. Its alot to think about and I want whats best for him.. i have to weigh my options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Iii
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I love those envelopes, Rebecca. Very creative.

Barbara -- our miniature is really on the toy size. She is like a large toy or a small mini. Our neighbors have two minis, and one is really quite large, and their smaller one is still bigger than our little girl.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It means a lot.

We are leaving for the airport soon, and I am not taking my computer, so I will check back in with all of you when we return.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR