Coronavirus prep

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Got my booster 4 hours ago. Process is a little odd. Arrive at scheduled appointment and fill out form by checking off lots of various boxes. A few minutes later, you get the shot. Then you are told to go wait 10 minutes, after which you will receive back your vaccination card ( a clever way to make sure people do not leave prematurely :P ). So at the 10 minutes, I get handed a whole packed, including my card.

10 minutes ago, i opened the packet to see if it is anything I need to keep or recycle. Page two of the packet has a section titled "What you need to know before you get this vaccine". Page four has a section titled "What are the risks of the vaccine". Page six contains "what if I decide not to get the comirnaty (COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA) or the Pfizer-Biotech COVID-19 Vaccine?" Seems like this process could stand for a little improvement. Shouldn't this packet be being given out BEFORE the shot??

Well given it was your third shot - wouldn't the assumption be that you already received the pertinent information with your first dose?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems finding a new vet? We've just moved, and wanted to switch to Mom's vet, but they are not taking new clients, and neither is the second place I tried.

Our old vet is part of the VCA chain, which does have a location near enough us, so I guess we will stick with them.

There was a piece on the local news a few weeks ago about this. During the pandemic, a lot of people got pets that didn't have them before as they had more time to spend with the animals. This, plus the fact that there is a lot of burnout among vets means that the demand for services exceeds the supply of veterinarians. Our vet's office went from 5 vets to 2, with an occasional locum. It takes a month or more to get an appointment and we've been going there for 11 years.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Anyone else having problems finding a new vet? We've just moved, and wanted to switch to Mom's vet, but they are not taking new clients, and neither is the second place I tried.

Oddly enough I recently heard there is a massive vet shortage here. If you don't already have a pet with a clinic, you won't get a vet. People with new pets have been driving three and a half hours away to obtain treatment. I've also heard of people pretending that a family member's new pet is theirs.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not in any way a virologist or other relevant expert, just a regular ignorant bozo, so I'll throw this speculation out there to see what others, especially those more knowledgeable, think:

I'm thinking that if it turns out we do need a different vax because of Omicron, it would be surprising if they specified a loooong required interval between current booster and new formulation.

Thought process:

I haven't seen much that suggested getting vaccine doses "too close together" would be particularly injurious to healthy people (or to immune suppressed ones, for that matter), where "too close together" was less than the 6 months between second vax and booster, or even less than the X weeks between dose 1 and dose 2, if it wasn't like subsequent days or something really silly.

What I've understood was more that close doses wouldn't be as effective in stimulating the immune system in the useful ways. Most other vaccines (of different types) don't seem to need long separations (like the Covid booster and flu, or flu and shingles, etc.).

What is making y'all think that if one gets a booster now, there's a meaningful risk that you won't be able to get this speculative new vax when it comes out in March, given what you know at this point?

Just saw this now. Vaccine rollout is a little slower here, and we have a little less freedom of choice. For example we are just offering boosters to 50+ beginning December 13th, younger age groups will be in the new year, and we are only eligible after 6 months.

When I posed the question of waiting it actually never occurred to me that I won't be able to get another booster if I take one now, just not really wanting to get more shots than I need. But now that you mention it I would imagine if a new booster comes out people who already had a recent 3rd dose would probably be last on the list to get it.

That's not exactly what I'd expect here (not sure where you are). If there's limited supply of the new vax at first, I'd expect any priority scheme to be similar to the previous ones, i.e., most at-risk first. It's still unclear who that will be (unvaxed vs. old/comorbidities vs. immune compromised, or whatever). That might mean people with 3rd boost prioritized lower, but I'm not convinced that would be true. But I'm still speculating.

If people with a recent third dose would be last on the list, wouldn't that be a reason to get #3 ASAP anyway, to move up that list as fast as possible? Really a lot of people are just getting the booster now, more or less. I was high priority (over 65), and my booster wasn't that long ago. I wasn't instant out of the blocks in signing up for booster, but not greatly lagging, either. Without looking it up, I think the delay vs. exactly 6 months wasn't more than a couple of weeks, and that was all me, not supply or rules.

I got the initial doses as early as I could schedule them here, though I won't pretend I was necessarily maximally efficient. (Some of my friends searched long distance for example: I just tracked multiple local sources until I found an appointment, for #1.)

Well no - if I get my booster next week and they come out with a "new and improved" one early next year then I imagine I would have to wait several months for it. I am thinking about a scenario where the eligibility is expanded in the new year to those under 50, and those people who haven't had it yet will presumably get the "new" shot as their booster (if one is available), while those of us who already had a third shot would have to wait until they are all done.

At any rate I booked for my booster, best to deal with the situation in front of me and not speculate on what might happen in the future. I'll be seeing family over Christmas and while we are keeping it small again this year it will still be nice to have the extra protection.

Now I am trying to wrap my head around the guilt I am feeling for getting a third shot when a lot of the world hasn't even got their first yet. Not sure how to feel about that.

(I'm in Ontario, Canada btw)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2021
    Will be interesting how this plays out, NYC vaccine mandate for all private sector employees:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Our old vet is part of the VCA chain, which does have a location near enough us, so I guess we will stick with them.

Not getting a new vet, but appointments for our vet right now are about a month out. I have also heard that they are not currently taking new patients.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Not getting a new vet, but appointments for our vet right now are about a month out. I have also heard that they are not currently taking new patients.

A couple months back when my cat had an emergency issue I called about 10 vets before I finally found a place about an hour away. Her regular vet has been working 12 plus hours a day for months.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    @Redordeadhead Other than info I have seen in the French news and on an expat forum I enjoy all I know about this is that my neighbors, (a French/German couple) have tried twice to travel back to their house in Germany were turned back at the border both times.
    Best of luck with your travel. The big problem has been the inconsistency on what the border control and even airline people actually know because of the constant changes.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Possibly knowing, were you to decline the third vaccine, that vaccine would not accrue into a box to be sent overseas. Nor that a box arriving in a country would automatically have a line of persons in a position to vaccinate their population. This is very sad but true. I heard of one politician, possibly ex UK PM Blare, saying the international emphasis should be directed to supporting the vaccination process as well as providing vaccine to the countries which need help.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    @rheddmobile I have a feeling that because the cells are empty of fat then the danger caused from fat cells wouldn’t have any effect. In other words if fat is the problem if it is gone then not a problem.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Reenie please remember it will take 10 days to get your levels up. I'm sure you knew this, please keep on being careful. We get on Friday, feels like a lifetime since we became eligible.

Someone thought keeping the NHS out of the vaccine equation was a good idea, now its been recognised the vaccine programme can't get there without them. Then last night another demand was made of them, everyone eligible to be offered before the end of the month. I'm knows those running the clinics are having nightmares, how do keep their surgeries open for serious things and provide staff for the covid clinics simultaneously. At least Scotland were told the endeavour is to offer by the end of the month though the ability to provide might not be fulfilled till January.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    They are mandated indoors (if public) in IL.

I don't know anyone who has tested positive/gotten covid recently, however. I'm sure it's my particular social circle.