WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Gut 'N' Butt :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvis up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. Whatever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one leg at a time so that your calf is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.

Thanks Barbie & Kackie!
  • grabbit97
    Options
    MIMI, thanks for the compliments, yes I was a nervous reck cuz the scale was not moving... it's going in the right direction for sure.
    Jane, thanks too for the compliment.. I have been taken off insulin, and they added Januvia back to see if they can get my fasting overnight blood sugar down.

Yes, I am lookiing forward to GOLFING again, the doctor on Wednesday said that I could golf again, let my knee tell when it's ok, or enough is enough.... I am not ready yet, it still hurts when I overdo, so I will wait until November before I try.

My tops are ok, a bit big, but the pants are where I am in real need of finding. I did order a couple of pairs online, and they came yesterday and fit fine. I will wait until I get out to AZ before I do some serious shopping.

The scale said I was down a 1 1/2 this morning from yesterday, it's all what I eat the night before!!! Last night I just had broccoli and a chicken breast... wasn't hungry... today I will probably go way up, we are eating dinner out.

Have a great weekend.

Natalie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

I've just got back from seeing my cardiologist and they are happy with me and I don't have to go back for another six months, which will be a year post-op for my new valve. That was such a relief. I bumped into the nurse who was on the ward when I was in hospital and she congratulated me on losing more weight ... always a boost to have recognition.

For some reason the hospital, in their infinite wisdom, have the cardio department on the eighth floor and these days I always take the stairs if possible. It is amazing to get up to the eighth floor and still be able to breathe!

We are off to do an evening visit to see mother-in-law at the nursing home, so I'd better get moving.

Have a good weekend my lovelies.

Amanda x
  • sallyjcu
    Options
    Greetings to all!

Mimi, being the gosh-darn busy woman you are and coming so far, maybe your body is rushing to catch up!! Tahoe awaits!!!

Kackie and Barbie, appreciate your sharing. Did those planks last year. They work. Thank you for reminding me. Trying to make building this rock wall (it's a slope issue) count as upper body. But, you know ~ it is just not the same. :ohwell:

Best wishes to all for a good Friday, great PT sessions, mindful eating (ya know you want and love it!!) - and we will all keep on
    keepin' on (who said that??)

Dear Boscoe's Mom,

Truly sorry for what you are going through. Makes one weep.:brokenheart: Here's a hug and holding!!!

Kind regards,
    Sally
  • sallyjcu
    Options
    After posting my reply, I read your message Amanda. Just have to tell you, I found your post positively inspirational....I'm going....Thank you.XXX
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Gut 'N' Butt :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvis up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. Whatever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one leg at a time so that your calf is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.

thanks barbie , will try these...

had a great workout 75min spinning class and 45min weights...i have been wearing my HRM lately, what a difference in the total number of calories burned verus the MFP info....hopefully with these new more accurate numbers i will see the scale move in a downward way...have a wonderful weekend ladies..:flowerforyou:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Lots of good information here. I had a nice drop in weight a couple of days ago and I changed my ticker--I hope it gets to keep going in that direction. I do get frustrated and feel like I am trying to break through a major block here. I am doing a challenge just to give myself another layer of motivation to stay on track.

Mimi…. Your new place sounds great. That book “Strong Women Stay Young” sounds great.

Natalie…WOW!! Being able to golf again. That is great.

Faye….I agree that I feel better when I don’t have the white sugar and flour.

Amanda…great visit with the doctor!

Birdie...I just changed up my exercise program and now I hope to see better results.

Pam…I noticed a big difference with my heart rate monitor versus the MY Fitness Pal numbers.

Have a great night,
    Sally
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - congrats on the loss!

Kathy - so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is.

Birdie - what kinds of things (exercise related) do you enjoy? Yes, you probably need something for the upper body, too. Do you have a gym membership? One of the advantages is that they have different pieces of equipment. There are some elliptical machines that also use your arms. How about pilates or yoga?

Did an hour of deep water. We didn't do a lot of cardio since they ramped up the temperature of the water because they're going to have to turn off the boiler to do some repairs. Tomorrow...yoga

Amanda - awesome about the doc. Has it been a year ALREADY?

Pam - generally, are the calories burned that MFP says you burned more or less than what your HRM says?

Vince's knee has been hurting him lately. Remember I told you all a while ago that he will eventually have to go for partial knee replacement. Well, he's going to go to the MD next Thurs. I'm trying to talk him into getting the third cortisone shot, just so that we can get thru Thanksgiving. Jessica wants us to come up there and I know she'd be mega-disappointed if we couldn't. He usually does a lot of decorating for Christmas, but that may just have to be put on hold this year. I'm sure the MD will take x-rays and we'll see how much addn'l deterioration there has been. It really hasn't been all that long since he last went to the MD.

Lately (except for today, that is) I've gotten to where I like to make myself a big salad and then pick on it all day. The only problem I can see is that I usually jot everything that I eat down on a piece of paper, then transfer it here. Only when I make a salad, by the time I list everyting in the salad, I'm running out of paper for my food!

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    sally, michele...the numbers here on MFP are typically higher, than my HRM(its a POLAR f something, dont remember) with a chest strap....i also am not eating my exercise calories back(i was and the scale did not move, so trying some new)

enjoy the weekend all:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good night all.Hectic crazy day .Heard some devasting news and am shook up about it.Will try to post over the weekend.Did read the posts for today.Take care
    HUGS
    jane
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    Well I survived a week of work travel on the road. I made some good choices and exersized when I could. I have lost some inches and a little over 6 pounds since the first wednesday in September so it is paying off. I had no chance to read all the posts this last week but I hope you are all doing well and I am now back in the fold.

Have a Super Saturday.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Bit the bullet and added the 4+ lbs to ticker.:sick: Back to work Monday, makes it easier to climb back on track.

Vacation again 9/30-10/09. Scottish Country Dance workshop 10/1, Trader Joe's shopping trip 10/2 on way back. The true vacation challange will be rest of the week at home. Don't want to fall back on vacation license to overindulge.:noway: Do want to practice for retirement, plan healthy meals and schedule daily activity:bigsmile:

Gotta dash, Highland games today.

:heart: Hugs to all,
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning MFP friends! It is Saturday and I had absolutely no reason to wake up at 5 AM! Not getting enough sleep works very badly for me in terms of healthy food choices. So, I need to be extra vigilant today.

Robin, I followed your lead in putting a slimmer me as my profile picture.

The picture was taken in 2005 when I was 135 lbs. I kept the weight off for about 4 years and thought I would never buckle and gain that weight again, but I did, and then some. I was at my all time high when I started on MFP in Nov 2009 at 178. Last year around this time I was down to 150. Thanks in no small measure due to biking 30km to work. This September I was back up to 174, and said NO.....again. This is just not right for me. And packing around an extra 40 lbs does not seem to count as strength training :bigsmile: :wink: :grumble: How unfair.

Just rambling here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Having said that, I will stay close to my MFP this weekend. Keeping me on the straight and narrow.

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone:flowerforyou: , hope you all are having a good week, but if you week was not the best:frown: , thoughts are with you and hope the next one is better.:bigsmile:

I have been busy all week but have paid attention to my calories:drinker: and bumped up my exercise a little and was rewarded with another pound lost..Yeah, I actually think I must be doing something that is working. I am not wholly convinced about eating back my exercise calories so have decided to only eat some back, but not over half of them..and it's working for me. I am also not convinced that the MFP calories burned amounts are completely correct.

I've been buying clothes for our upcoming cruise next month since January and this week I tried some of them on....Whoa, some of them are too big now and I have to have them altered. There is one Emerald green dupioni silk jacket that I bought at Chico's that I absolutely love and I bought it in a Chico's3 (16-18) because their 2 (12-14) which is the size I have always worn and want to wear loosely when I finish losing the rest of my weight, was getting tight in the bustline...well I was swallowed up by this jacket.:noway: ..fortunately I was still able to find one in a 2 on their website..so it's on it's way and as soon as it arrives I can return the 3, that is a real boost for me and a reward for my hard work.:bigsmile: ..a few other items I am taking to my alterations lady to be taken in...I am really happy that I lost so many inches in my midriff and bustline, I seemed to have added so much there as I gained weight...

It's a gym and restock the veggie day today...so better get ready to go. Have a wonderful weekend...:flowerforyou:
    xoSissy (((:heart: )))
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Glad to have you back Aunie BK...hope your time away was fun!

Sallyj: Love the sound of your rock wall. I love rocks and making landscape things with them...walls, steps, paths...post a photo when you are finished if you can. And carrying rocks around IS good strength training!

Sallyc: Way to go on your lose! Great going!

Amanda: How wonderful to get a good check up from your cardiologist! You have had a busy year and done well!

Barbie: Thanks for re-posting the Gut N Butt. They are worth the effort!

I went into Bozeman yesterday for groceries, errands etc. and went to the little independent bookstore that we love. I found the book "Strong Women stay Slim" by Nelson, but they didn't have "Strong Women stay young". I am guessing they are similar in their content, so I bought the one in stock. It is nice to read something that keeps you focused. And even when we KNOW what we should be doing, I think it helps to motivate me to actually DO those things. For me, weights are never something that I WANT to do, but I always feel better when I do. Hope this book will help
    me make this a bigger priority.

Take care, ALL, and have a good weekend! kackie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sissy: Think we were posting at the same time>Way to go on your progress. And how FUN to have clothing be too big! I know how good that feels!

Rebel: Love the new photo. That is very inspiring and I know that you can do it! Good luck:-)

Bye again! Kackie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good night all.Hectic crazy day .Heard some devasting news and am shook up about it.Will try to post over the weekend.Did read the posts for today.Take care
    HUGS
    jane

Jane--Many, many prayers for you! I hope you are all right. Take care.
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I finally reached the 180's - 189.6 but I'll take it! At almost 5'9", this feels pretty good. All the work of moving paid off. Thank you to everyone who motivated and encouraged me. Now for the 170's.

Sissy and everyone who stayed on track, congrats! Together, we can do this!

Kackie, Strong Women Stay Slim is good too. The exercises are similar.

Jane, sending good thoughts and prayers for your situation.

I'm off to the Bay Area now to visit my folks and see my sister's booth at the Lafayette Art & Wine Festival. She and her DH have a plumbing company, so you wouldn't normally expect to see them there, but I've heard their last booth was amazing and this one even more so. I can't wait to see it.

I've changed my plans slightly. I'll visit the Bay Area first, come back for a few days to paint cabinets, then go up to Tahoe for a few days. Time for a break - but I'm very motivated to stay on track!

xx
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello ladies, just checking in, how's everyone doing??? I have been fasting in the mornings feeling much better too!! A lot of junk that I was feeling, is gone, mood swings are less than what they were, and my energy is getting much better. I can think clearer too.
    The weight is maybe a bit yo yoish, but that is because of my favorite weakness popcorn. I like it so much, a good bowl fills me up, and it may be the only salt source I get too. I like the white cheddar seasoning on it, and yes only a bit.
    Back to work at Tim's and on call for the Civic and Lodge. Going to be an expensive year, I am 800 behind on my Fed taxes too! The reason is very low paycheques, nothing taken off. So for the accumulated income I have a bit to catch up on. Good thing I spotted this now.

Hope all is well here, I will post again soon.

Marilyn
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Bit the bullet and added the 4+ lbs to ticker.:sick: Back to work Monday, makes it easier to climb back on track.

:flowerforyou: Good for you, Barbara (auntiebk). I also find it easier to stay on track when I am at work. The routine.
    :flowerforyou: Mimi, omg. Congrats on the weight loss!
    :flowerforyou: Sissy. What a great feeling to have your clothes fitting with room to spare. Yay!
    :flowerforyou: SallyJ, SallyC, Pam, Jane (and probably more that I've missed)....you are new to me, yet I feel like I've known you for a long time. I like it when you share your stories.

*kick* - gone for a walk. I need to move. Was able to hit the gym 3 times this week. Yay for me; back into routine.

:heart: Rebel:heart: