Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Seventh Day Adventists don't allow medical care, IIRC. Locally, I have heard that the Amish are very unwilling to seek medical treatment and have not been widely vaccinated. I don't know whether they have had serious Covid issues or not. Very few are obese, which makes a difference in the likelihood of serious illness.

I think I've heard that it's been an issue in the Mennonite communities, possibly Hutterite as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Politifact looked at which US religions ban vaccination in some official way, and there aren't many religions that do that across the board. Details here:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/oct/06/anthony-fauci/few-religions-ban-vaccination-counts-little-religi/

They say, and this is my understanding also from reading CDC and related info on exemptions, that your official religion need not ban vaccination in order to claim religious exemption. It's about personal beliefs. For example, in some other cases, committed vegans have been allowed to claim exemption from employment-related vaccination requirements when the specific vaccines included animal-sourced products - no formal religion at all involved. (That was a pre-Covid case example.) Sincere personal belief seems to have been the standard, at least in past employment-related legal cases.

(I don't have a link substantiating that part.)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Seventh Day Adventists don't allow medical care, IIRC. Locally, I have heard that the Amish are very unwilling to seek medical treatment and have not been widely vaccinated. I don't know whether they have had serious Covid issues or not. Very few are obese, which makes a difference in the likelihood of serious illness.

As far as I know the Seventh Day Adventists don’t allow blood transfusions (they take this from the commandment to ‘abstain from blood’) but are fine with other medical care.

Some religious people object on the grounds that the vaccines were tested using cell lines from aborted tissue, but so were many other drugs, so unless the person is consistent in refusing all those drugs (which include Tylenol) the objection is likely to be denied.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

As far as I know the Seventh Day Adventists don’t allow blood transfusions (they take this from the commandment to ‘abstain from blood’) but are fine with other medical care.

Some religious people object on the grounds that the vaccines were tested using cell lines from aborted tissue, but so were many other drugs, so unless the person is consistent in refusing all those drugs (which include Tylenol) the objection is likely to be denied.

I think you mean Jehovahs witnesses.

Jehovah witnesses don't allow blood transfusions but do not object to medical treatment in general.

You’re correct, my bad!

I looked it up and according to the internet Seventh day adventists have no religious prohibitions against medical treatment.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I certainly don't want anyone to get Covid but I do believe if you are not vaccinated it is just a matter of time until you get the virus. I am vaccinated and got the virus. Very mild and I had NO idea I had it so I could have spread it to others, which i feel badly about. I believe I got it from someone who was vaccinated. Personally i think it is awful not to get vaccinated as this continues to spread and kill.

To be honest, I believe, even if one is vaccinated, unless they are living in a cocoon with no contact with others, they will get it. Now of course if vaxed much greater probability of less severe case.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm liking this cocoon thing you speak of.

Yeh, I've known both vaccinated and unvaccinated that have both gotten Covid. And their symptoms still vary so much; it's so hard to make sense of it all. But my good sense still is telling me to do as much as I can to protect myself and others. Even if it means I get stared at being one of the very few masked shoppers anymore. :(

Luckily masks are still mandated here. In fact, Canada seems to be leaning toward recommending medical grade masks, even N95s, in the general population.

At my workplace the latest direction is either a 3-layer cloth mask, mask with filter, or medical grade. They do supply the blue disposable medical masks but most of us choose to wear our own cloth masks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I hadn't - thanks! Sent it on to a former coworker who said:
    "This is a stupid conversation and I'm not going to continue it" is how I want to end at least half of my work convos.