January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Welcome @tegass1994!

@SummerSkier I am definitely taking a rest day today. It is 25°F feels like 12° here. I am really glad I ran yesterday when it was a beautiful 58°F. 😊

@martaindale I love when I see deer on my runs. Nice picture.

I too am loving all the pet pictures.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    My 2022 spreadsheet is mostly set up now, so I'm feeling more in control again :)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/22 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    01/02/22 :::: 3.2 :::: 8.2

Today was a run along the canal with friends. It was 28 degrees and spitting a little snow/sleet mix. Kind of crappy but at least the path was not icy yet. We got it done and then headed for coffee. I love our Sunday Funday Runday new tradition. Easy pace, not too long, get it done, have coffee.

Really not prepared for it to be a regular Monday tomorrow.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    1/1 17.33 miles, 1342 days on the run, 524 days HM+ Streak
    1/2 13.56 miles, Crazy Laps!

I had my spreadsheet set up 27th when I had some time. Working on a new one at the moment, about habits.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have run long distances with a hydration vest, which ones do you recommend? I think I might try one for my marathon in October instead of the belt I usually use.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    For those of you who have run long distances with a hydration vest, which ones do you recommend? I think I might try one for my marathon in October instead of the belt I usually use.

I do not use the vest, but I use
    https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0719QC587/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    247 Viz Hydration Running Belt - Fits iPhone 8, X and Similar Sized Phones - with 4 BPA Free Water Bottles & Runners Reflective Gear for High Visibility

Each bottle holds 8 oz. I do pretty well with that even in summer on my marathon distance.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 - I have a woman's Osprey vest and love it but I think the fit is very personal so would advise going to a store if you can too try some on. You need to make sure it fits properly and doesn't rub or chafe anywhere.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Run The World - I am not going to use the Challenge Hound payment process for each participant. They want my SS# and all of our bank information and I refuse to give out that level of PI.

I will set it up to use the credits and I will buy what we need. When you sign up you all can send me the $4 to my PayPal Me account.

I will also take care of setting up the map if you can send me your city, state or country locations.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Here is the info to join. I am going to buy some credits and will add more as needed...
    Note - it should back fill any distances already run if you are synching to Garmin or Strava or ?? or if you are adding manually you should be able to add from the 1st.
    You are invited to join the Run the World 2022 challenge.

Run the World 2022
    Jan 1, 2022 12:00 AM - Dec 31, 2022 11:59 PM
    Team Challenge
    Run, Virtual Run, Walk 24,901 Miles in 365 days

== INSTRUCTIONS TO JOIN ==

1. Visit https://www.challengehound.com/join/96a9cf00-6b41-11ec-ac26-d96d8cbe3fe6?code=MFPRunners

2. Click the green "Sign In to Join Challenge" button

3. Sign in to an existing Challenge Hound account, or sign up if you are new to Challenge Hound. You can sign up using your email address or Facebook

4. Now that you are signed in, click the green "Join Challenge" button and confirm you are joining.

5. That's it! You've joined the challenge. You'll receive an email confirmation with the challenge details.

== HOW TO LOG ACTIVITIES ==

1. You can log activities into Challenge Hound https://www.challengehound.com/activity/new/edit

2. You can connect an App listed on the Apps page and activities will be automatically synced to Challenge Hound. Challenge Hound currently supports Garmin, Under Armour (Map My Run, Map My Walk, Map My Hike, Map My Ride, etc), Fitbit, Coros, and Strava. https://www.challengehound.com/apps

If you connect an app, Challenge Hound will automatically sync applicable activities, so there is no need to manually enter. Whether you manually enter or use an App, you'll receive an email notification with your challenge status after each activity you log. You can visit Challenge Hound to view your personal challenge dashboard, as well as full challenge leader boards and charts.

== ADDITIONAL SUPPORT ==

Support, FAQs, and How-tos can be found here: https://support.challengehound.com

What is Challenge Hound? Challenge Hound is a platform used to create and track group challenges. Read more at https://www.challengehound.com
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    Joined! I am in Austin Tx @shanaber thanks for setting this up. Only 2 of us so far.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    Way to stick to your plan @marisap2010 !

Welcome @tegass1994 !

@kgirlhart Yeah for getting your spreadsheet set up. What data do you track? Also, your Sunday Funday Runday sounds great!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    I'll try to join tonight or tomorrow @shanaber . Thanks for setting it up. I am in Midway TN.
  • run_sara_run
    run_sara_run Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!
    I exceeded my December goal with 147/130! Yay.

I've decided to do Run the Year for 2022 so my January goal is 168.5. For RTY I'm going to count walking miles too to give myself a bit of a cushion and not overdo it with running. This will be my third year attempting RTY and I haven't succeeded yet so here goes!

I want 25% of my miles to be on the trail which will mess with my yearly average pace, but trails make me stronger and are my favorite :)

In the main post a Strava and Facebook group are listed - could someone give me the link to those? I'd like to join there too.

1/1 - 4 miles, very slow pace because I made encouraged my husband to come out with the Saturday run group. He did it!
    1/2 - 5.5 trail miles
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    I am with @Tramboman and this year have decided to try to take a rest day at least 2 x a month. I had not since 11 Sept previously.

1 Jan 6.04 miles (2 runs)
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 4.08 miles

So far starting out strong at almost 70% miles with an 8 in front and all of them under 10 min pace. It is interesting to me that when I do 2 per days and really push the pace that my heart resting does not recover as well as when it has at least 24 hrs to recover. That tells me I need to make sure that I give it enough rest because unlike the youngsters here I think aging muscles only get hurt when you push too hard.

My crosstraining this year is going to be tennis. So far I have hit against the backboard 3 times after almost a 3 year break. The first time I felt completely discombobulated and really it was all I could do to not hit the ball over the fence. sigh, The 2nd time was much more coordinated and the last time hitting and serving felt pretty normal but my foot work... Oh wow. I feel like someone nailed my feet to the court most of the time. I do need new tennis shoes right?. ;) I like the workout because it definitely uses different skills and muscles than running and there is something pretty satisfying about a solid ground stroke smash as hard as you can.

Interested to hear what everyone else is doing for xtraining as well. I get too bored lifting weights...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 – 6.11
    1/2 – 6.21

12.32 of 160 miles

Been offline for the weekend. I did meet my 110 miles for December. It was a year ago yesterday I fell on the trails and broke my ankle, seems like yesterday.

So it was 79F on Saturday and last night we had 5” or snow. It's like 30 and I went to run, but the 20 mph winds made me say, later is good LOL
    s5h45qbnw5p9.jpg

@swenson19d – sweet pups!

@shanaber Hobbs is getting gray, I love him!

I love all the dogs! @marisap2010 I love basset hounds

These are my babies, Macy is a 10 year old Labradoodle and Champ is around 3 and he’s an American Eskimo. Macy came from a breeder and Champ was a “here take him” from a neighbor who didn’t want him anymore. @Juliexx00 our pups looked related, the dog on the right what kind is it?
    4hz9mcsy069m.jpg

@Tramboman too funny! @swenson19d that picture is scary!

@AlphaHowls I wear a Nathan Trail, the bladder is 7L. I’ve worn it up to 15 miles, my daughter has worn it up to 23 miles with no issues. Lots of pockets for nutrition, very adjustable and comfortable to wear.

@Shanaber I’m in the Run the World challenge, thanks for setting us up.