WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Barbara, I would also stay away from Samsung, we bought a fridge a few, well maybe several, years ago now and had nothing but problems with it. The 6th time (yes, you saw that correctly) the tech came out (and this was only over the course of a few months) he said he was going to suggest to Samsung that they replace it as he had pretty much rebuilt the fridge. They eventually did and we've been quite happy with the replacement, but we had such a hassle, their customer service really stinks. I have to admit, the smell of cooking cabbage isn't that great, but when mixed with all the other smells going on, it blends nicely! lol
    Dishwashers and garbage disposals: I've never had a garbage disposal, but did clean some homes with them, they need something pleasant smelling ground up in them every once in awhile or what a stench! I have owned dishwashers for the last 30+ years and would not want to be without one. Having said that, I do do dishes by hand as I have some stuff that shouldn't go in and some stuff that just takes up too much space. It is just the two of us and it gets run every few days.
    Hubby and I got our boosters yesterday, I have been feeling find today, hubby not so much. He spent a great deal of time in bed today, but seems to be recovering this evening. He felt quite flu-like and he did not like it!
    That's all I got tonite.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Mary I use our dishwasher for storage only but I find handwashing dishes meditative.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.

I've always hated washing dishes. Even when I lived alone, I hated washing dishes and considered getting a dishwasher ... but I really had nowhere to put one. The kitchen was so small.

I don't like getting my hands into anything wet, slimy, etc. I don't like hand lotions. I don't like hand sanitiser with aloe. I don't like dripping any sort of food on my hands. And the idea of putting my hands into a sink full of dirty dishes is just ... yuck!

I could just tolerate it with my dishes.

I thought I could tolerate it when my husband and I started living together about a year after we married but that situation started circling the drain right quick. He likes to use lots of dishes when he cooks and I'd have a kitchen full of sticky, slimy, dirty dishes to deal with every evening. It would take me a solid hour or more to get through it all. I talked him into using fewer dishes which helped a bit ...

Then a couple years later, we headed off for a round the world trip for 8 months and when we came back we housesat at a friend's place ... and she had a dishwasher. It was heavenly! And we vowed never to be without one. :)

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    <3

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    wu3y7jljfbig.jpeg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    @Lagopus
    So good to see your post.

I can empathise about your mother. We have gone through the same thing with my younger sister, and both sets of parents. It’s such a comfort when we can be with them at the end.

As for the *glitter*, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for who gets it. And there must be people with natural immunity. I hope your family members get over it without any lasting problems.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Sure can tell what all y'all read on these posts. THANKS A LOT for all the comments regarding my mom... NOT!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    There is a part of me that feels like two years of NOT being around germs has made us more susceptible to everything that is floating around out there.

If we had all been masking and staying out of crowds, that might have something to do with it, but we all know that hasn't been happening. Even with my immune status, I haven't stayed out of crowds. I pick and choose what I do, to decrease my risk, but I am around the germs plenty. For instance, I met my class of 21 on Friday, and even though we were all masked, the room holds only 24, so we are crammed in there, and the windows don't open. Over the weekend, 3 of the 21 have been put in quarantine. One with Covid and two with suspected Covid (awaiting test results). We have free tests at work, so I have been testing every Friday, and I added a test on Monday for the last two weeks, especially after the students emailed me over the weekend.

This is just a really strong, transmissible virus. Not a lot we can do about it but be vaxxed, boosted, masked, and hope if (when) we get it, it will be mild. One of my colleagues has been in the hospital since November with it. He won't be coming back to work ever. His lungs have been permanently damaged. :disappointed:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Sure can tell what all y'all read on these posts. THANKS A LOT for all the comments regarding my mom... NOT!

Sorry about that. I read a lot on my phone, so don't comment on anything until I'm at my computer, and by then, pages have gone by.

That was scary for her and for you. My mil fell and broke something in her neck once, and I was surprised that all they had her do was wear the collar.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options

I’m catching up on posts this afternoon. I read your comment on Penny’s post. It’s must have been a shock when your Mom fell like that. I hope the collar does the trick and she recovers quickly.

Sending positive vibes to all those who have friends/family members affected by Covid. It’s running riot over here in Northern Ireland as well. Just have to keep ourselves right and hope for the best.

I had my follow up Gynae checkup yesterday. No sign of any nasties, but I will have another checkup in 3 months to be on the safe side.

Take care and stay safe.

☘️ Terri