At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    BL asked me this morning,”what kind of milk is in the little glass jar in the fridge?”

It’s skim milk decanted into a pint jar, just enough to make a week’s worth of froth for chai.

“I’m sorry. I’m just not drinking enough of it to go through a gallon any more. It saves me 198 calories a day.”

Not to worry. The other 3/4 gallon goes straight into the pot to make skyr.

He’s started dabbling in plant-based milks now when he wants a bowl of cereal. Cereal consumption is way down, too, though, after he realized he could have a nice, protein rich plate of filling French toast made from homemade bread for about the same “cost” as his old bowl of cereal with a generous helping of milk.

Almond milk and the really good (and neutral tasting) Silk cashew/almond blend are 25/cup, versus 80 for skim. Yes, skim is higher in protein and Vitamin D, but we eat a lot of protein elsewhere, and the “New Us” spend a lot more time outdoors, inadvertently soaking up rays of D.

It’s almost like new habits reap unexpected rewards which beget more new habits, reaping even more rewards. It’s like a perfect little personal cycle of “Yay! You go, You!”.

w2f1866nl6h0.jpeg

This will be yummy homemade skyr by tonight, with a side of spreadable thick low cal cream cheese by tomorrow, and should yield 6-8 cups of liquid whey, too. Super easy to make. Requires no magic kitchen skills. Whey instead of water or milk makes baked goods super light and fluffy, and makes a homemade loaf of bread taste richer, without as much work as sourdough.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    When my kids were young I always made my own yoghurt but have never made skyr. Is it thick like skyr? Or thinner, like regular yoghurt? Please tell me more. I'd love to try making a batch.

I used to use mostly plant based milks in my smoothies and cereals and it was an easy way to cut a few calories. But I found that I always struggled to reach the bare minimum of my protein requirements, so now I'm back to using more dairy. Except for my hot chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate almond milk with a couple of dashes of stevia always hits the cozy spot for me (even more so with a splash of Bailey's 😉).
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I had a weird thing happen where I stopped dairy milk and used substitutes and then... went back to dairy milk, but in absolute fairness even after all this time I struggle with protein intake so it's basically skim milk or drinka protein shake and the couple of cups of milk lasts me longer.

Still WAY less than I used to use though and I imagine eventually that cycle will swing back.
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    When my kids were young I always made my own yoghurt but have never made skyr. Is it thick like skyr? Or thinner, like regular yoghurt? Please tell me more. I'd love to try making a batch.

I used to use mostly plant based milks in my smoothies and cereals and it was an easy way to cut a few calories. But I found that I always struggled to reach the bare minimum of my protein requirements, so now I'm back to using more dairy. Except for my hot chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate almond milk with a couple of dashes of stevia always hits the cozy spot for me (even more so with a splash of Bailey's 😉).

Skyr is made exactly like yogurt except you use skim milk and you add a few drops of liquid rennet after it cools to 110, same time as when you stir your starter.

You can make it as thick or thin as you like- depends on the draining time.

It’s a protein powerhouse.

I’ve also been setting some aside to drain extra extra well to use in lieu of cream cheese on pancakes.

7fapgxwvo6c9.jpeg
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Skyr is made exactly like yogurt except you use skim milk and you add a few drops of liquid rennet after it cools to 110, same time as when you stir your starter.

I’ve also been setting some aside to drain extra extra well to use in lieu of cream cheese on pancakes.

7fapgxwvo6c9.jpeg

This is awesome! Thank you for the inspiration. May be time to try my hand at making skyr. I’ve just been buying it when it’s BOGO at Publix. I’ve been brewing kombucha for years, grind my own wheat to bake bread, and just started growing blue oyster mushrooms- I’m all about foodie DIY!
  • springlering62
    Options
    EliseTK1 wrote: »

7fapgxwvo6c9.jpeg

This is awesome! Thank you for the inspiration. May be time to try my hand at making skyr. I’ve just been buying it when it’s BOGO at Publix. I’ve been brewing kombucha for years, grind my own wheat to bake bread, and just started growing blue oyster mushrooms- I’m all about foodie DIY!

I made cherry scones this afternoon and subbed skyr for the sour cream the recipe called for. Lots less calories and boy, were they good.

Skyr, kefir and Greek yogurt are amazing. I’ve baked cakes using nothing but a boxed mix and yogurt or kefir.

Kefir is another good one for baking. I loved using it, but it fermented so fast I couldn’t keep up with it, and we were even eating the extra grains.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 thanks! When I was a child, cottage cheese was something that was ALWAYS in our fridge. It was my mother's go-to for everything. I personally don't care for the texture of cottage cheese, however sometimes I will mix it with the handheld blender, add some seasonings, and use it for a veggie dip. Plain Greek yoghurt is my version of my mother's cottage cheese and I always have it in the fridge. It's my go-to for everything and I eat it for breakfast, lunch, snacks, in smoothies, and baking. But I only buy skyr when it's marked down because it's a bit more expensive. I will definitely try making it though!
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    stumbled across this last month, and enjoyed the updates and BLs related observations/discoveries. Wondering how it goes? Is BL pressing forward and doing well with ease or hit an obstacle? Entered post-honeymoon phase and pushed through the common urge to stop? Hope all is well with continued progress.
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Are all the extra walks helping out with the HR dog's reactivity?
  • springlering62
    Options
    JenKindo wrote: »
    Are all the extra walks helping out with the HR dog's reactivity?

The High Anxiety Dog is improving, somewhat.

We’ve got a trainer walking him every afternoon, and she is a wizard.

He seldom barks at people now unless they step suddenly out of a doorway or alley (historical district backs up to walking trail- lots of wierd little doors and alleys people pop in and out of all the time).

Other dogs, still a problem. I can see some improvement, but mostly a brain shift. I think it exhausts him now, too, because if he sees another dog coming he simply pulls us across the street or toward any available alley to avoid the drama and the inevitable “bag dog, no treat for you”.

Being half dachshund, it’s all about treats. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a food orientated dog! Mine is affection/toys, and sometimes it isn't appropriate to pull out a squeaky toy
  • springlering62
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    I wish I had a food orientated dog! Mine is affection/toys, and sometimes it isn't appropriate to pull out a squeaky toy

I oughta “disagree” you for that lol. “Food dogs” are always underfoot hoping you’ll drop something or cave and give them a scrap. It’s a constant battle.

I have to move the dog just to get the pantry door open.

Oh and then there’s was the dachshund who used to climb in the dishwasher to lick dishes the minute you turned your back. It’s a wonder his little yellow butt never went through a cycle.

This one’s half dachshund and half spaniel. So he’s underfoot half the time!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yeaaaah, but you can put that food motivation under pretty good control and use it to reward the dog for what you want. Like not getting under your feet and climbing in the dishwasher hoping for an opportunity to reward themselves (look up 'its yer choice' and 'mat training' - youtube has some good how to videos).

You can do the same with toys but it's much harder to train calm behavior with a toy because they're by nature inciting prey drive which is exciting and move fast/play.