What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Stationary bike, 10k+3'CD, 11,037m overall, in 29:51.8. Easy pace, 86W average on the 10k, meandered barely into Z3 for a couple of minutes (2bpm above the line), most of the time Z2 (25'). Rest day tomorrow.
  • indycoltz
    indycoltz Posts: 565 Member
    Stationary bike, 43 minutes.
    100 push-ups.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Did 6K X 2 today on the rower and around 2 hours of yard work on top. Supersets tonight!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman - 90 is hot! I'm still riding indoors for a while. Will ride in Florida in April, but until then, cold weather gear will be needed. Re: sizes, I'm down a notch on the belt and a medium shirt size all day long, but in skin tight cycling/tri gear, I'll always wear the Single Big Boy size, lol.

Gym session this morning. Bunch of TRX, kb work, med ball stuff. Trainer gave me the March/April pep talk about my weight loss goals. I"m well on my way to racing weight, but can't slack off now or I'll regret it in July.

I'm looking forward and a bit nervous about my tri club Zwift ride tonight. It will be the first one I've done on the new Kickr SNAP. I"m still getting used to all the variables presented by Zwift, the companion app, and discord voice server and now the new smart trainer. Not to mention setting my garmin watch and turning on the fan!!

Riding was so much simpler when I used only a power meter and followed a structured workout sent to that device. ;)

I've been considering getting EXR Rowing. It's a new app that's the rower's version of Zwift. For the same reasons you're talking about, at least currently, it's not worth all the set up. But EXR is still in its infancy. You can't interact with other rowers yet, though they are working on creating a simulated world much like Zwift. If they end up getting there, I'll be tempted. Good for you being down a size! Not me! My waist always gives me issues. Ongoing battle!

Did another 8 X 500m interval w/ 1 minute rests. Off from last week's pace but OK. 1:58.9 today average (1:58.1 last week). But last week I didn't do a 4 X 2K that same week and this week I didn't eat in the AM, something I typically do only on hard rowing interval days.

Had to do this one in the garage. Winds were 50 MPH today.

Also got some supersets in this AM too.

Hmm, I've never heard of EXR rowing, but I guess it makes sense given the rise in Zwift's popularity. Even though we are both self motivated, I must admit that the "group" aspect of Zwift provides a bit of a lift. While I'm not adept at real time interaction available via the Zwift companion app, I do like the voice interaction via the Discord app when riding with friends. I"ll be interested to hear more about EXR if you eventually go that route.

Sounds like you are in a decent training flow after Covid recovery, etc. I'm hoping to maintain a similar level of momentum for the next six weeks prior to a Fla vacation trip.

Enjoyed a brief dose of spring yesterday, so I got outdoors for twenty five miles on the bike with a friend. Snowmelt made for a few puddles in low spots, but for the most part, roads were fine. We kept it social, but managed a 17mph ave, which is fine for now.

Quick swim planned for tonight.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2022
    My standard Monday: elliptical for 45 min. at Zone 2, followed by squats, bridges, and abs, but then I threw in one set of pushups just to test how the shoulder feels.

I'm happy with myself for keeping a 3 day/week workout schedule, even though it is fairly low intensity. Since the goal is consistency and injury avoidance, with a sprinkling of osteoporosis prevention, I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm playing with throwing in another day or so on the elliptical as I feel like it (or if I need a post-work "anxiety/stress shake-out"). We'll see how that goes. Again, injury avoidance is a very real thing for me, so one day at a time.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Just another 6K X 2/1' (one minute rest) on rower at lunch (roughly an hour). Let HR drift up to 70% max. I try to ideally keep it under 65% or 66% so this was a tad high for easy work.
  • AnnPT77
    Rowing machine again, but just 2 x (2500m on, 2' off/CD). 2:28.1 average pace on the 2.5k pieces, almost 8' of the overall time in Z4, remainder Z3 (mostly) and below, peak at about 77% reserve/85% max. Time for the 2.5k pieces was 24:41.9, 28:41.9 overall of course and 5,544m overall.

If anyone else is doing a Concept 2 workout tomorrow, check the Challenges page. If you do part of your rowing workout as *exactly* 5k (10k if bikerg), C2 will donate $5 per participant (up to $15k USD) split between the Women’s Sports Foundation and Women Sport International for International Women’s Day. (You don't have to be a woman to participate, but you must sign up on your C2 logbook homepage.)

@drmwc, that tyre swing looks pretty fun! It's so thoughtful of you to isolate before visiting your mother, too.
  • getting_stronger1483
    getting_stronger1483 Posts: 35 Member
    I did the Jeanette Jenkins 600 calorie workout on youtube...I've been doing it for months and I love it. This workout has completely transformed my body and I have so much lean muscle mass everywhere! Arms, stomach, butt, and legs all toned! I love it!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Did my indoor (online) rowing club's CTC (Cross Team Challenge) today. Was dreading it when I saw it originally because I hate longer distance timed rows. This was 30 minutes for meters. Ended up at around 6951, I think (a 2:09.4 pace). Was pleased with that. Anything right now under 2:10 pace would have made me happy. The last 10K I did was 2:15 pace, so I think I'm getting faster. I'm pretty sure I could have done a sub 2:12 pace on 10K, which would be a very nice improvement for only a couple of months. A 2:07.4 pace would put me back in the top half of rankings. When I injured my back a few years back, most of my timed rows were roughly in the 75th to 85th percentile (for my age group as a Male "heavyweight"). Way off that now but slowly clawing my way back.

I finished with around a 5K cool down. Oh, and registered it for International Women's Day fundraiser on Concept2's website.

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Post-work stress relief: 30 min. elliptical on the Zone 2/3 border. :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2022
    Stationary bike (BikeErg), 10K single distance for the Concept 2 International Women's Day Challenge (participation in which far exceeded its charitable donation maximum - nice!), then a separate 3' CD for an added 1,020m. On the 10k, moderate pace (91W), topped out at mid-Z3 at about 64% reserve/75% max.

Just realized that after my previous stationary bike workout on March 5, I'd hit the C2 BikeErg Million Meter Club level, and sent for my free t-shirt. I only have 5,715,786 RowErg lifetime meters logged, but over the roughly 20 years I've been rowing/erging, there have been quite a few seasons where I didn't log many of my machine workouts on the site at all (did them away from home, didn't bother to log except for challenges/races some years, etc.), so I have no idea what the real total would be.

@MikePfirrman, nice pace on your 30' piece - congrats! You're making really good progress with pace!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Did a 65km bike ride on Monday, after not having used my racebike in a while. In a country I've never done a longer ride. It was... eye-opening how often google would try to route me over cobblestone roads, muddy small forest paths not suitable for a racebike, over a big sanddune! and other strange routes. Also found out that offline routing doesn't work for bike here, and the phone signal is often very patchy. Which is 'great' , because if I chose car for routing I get motorways and can't exclude them :s Yes, I'm annoyed.
  • MikePfirrman
    6K and 3K on the rower today. Planned 12K but the back case of my PM5 (computer for the Concept2 rower) has had a crack in it that was getting progressively worse and I've been, admittedly, lazy about fixing it. Probably a combination of the Arizona heat with the fact that I put my rower in the shed and move it and set it up, put it away daily.

Well, anyway, got through the first 6K and adjusted the PM5 and crash -- PM5 fell right off the arm. Back of the case busted right in half. Set it on a bar stool and finished 3K more. Have to fix it this week. Doesn't look too complicated but we'll see.

When I had to stop, was rather pleased with the pace for the HR. Was going at around 2:26 pace and keeping the HR in check under 70% of max. I'm starting to think half of my pace issues were lack of strength/stamina, but also lack of really efficient form was the other half.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    This week has been geared towards preparing for my first FTP bike test of the season. Did a lap swim this morning and will do an hour trainer ride tonight. I"m keeping my normal strength sessions and swim volume, but only modest bike work. The goal is to have fresh legs on Saturday morning.
  • AnnPT77
    Slacking off but slogging along: Rowing machine day, back at 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD).

2k pieces at 10:12.3 (2:33.0 pace/22spm), 9:50.5 (2:27.6/20), 9:47.9 (2:26.9/18), with 776 meters from the row in/out and CD. Moderate-ish pace, about half in Z3, a quarter in Z4, remainder below. Topped out at 155bpm, 1 beat above 220-age, which is about 86% max, 80% reserve.

First piece might have been a little quicker, but I didn't notice before I started that there was some tiny thing on the track or one of the seat-wheels (so annoying), and I made a couple of lame attempts to remove it blindly (it was behind me), while rowing. Not a good or productive plan! Eventually it either jumped off or smoothed out, because it became imperceptible. It doesn't take much to be noticeable, when you're use to a smooth rail. I usually check, thought I had, but obviously missed something. 🙄
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    @AnnPT77 -- those are solid paces at such low SR, especially the one @ 18! I used to hate cleaning rower rails at the gym. Some had YEARS of grime and neglect on them. Yes, they are supposed to look like clean stainless steel rails -- all nice and shiny!

Windy day again today. DF (drag factor) on the rower was fluctuating between 118 (where I had set it) and 150 with wind gusts. I had no idea that in real time DF could fluctuate that much until I moved on a mountain side!

Did 12K (6K X 2/1 rest) at lunch at 2:26 pace, nearly all under 70% max HR and most under 130 (67% max for me).
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Wanted to replicate what is becoming my normal Friday workout -- 8 X 500m sprints on the rower. My rower arm is still broke (waiting on the part to arrive) so the computer for the rower is temporarily sitting on a bar stool while I row -- not ideal!

I thought I had set it up properly and went off pretty fast on the first interval. Yet my I-phone, which can mirror the PM5 monitor wirelessly, wasn't showing anything. Turns out ErgData (the software that ties your phone into your rower) either dropped or I didn't set it up right. So here I am, rowing the first interval trying to gauge, without a screen, how far is 500m!

I counted strokes, guessed I had finished and turns out I was at around 450m, not 500m, but had gone off at 1:51.7 pace. At that point, I was frustrated and quite frankly already drained. But instead of packing it up, I set the rower up for 7 more intervals and completed the set -- at a 1:57.2 pace for the other 7, still faster than I've been averaging even without adding in what would have likely been at least a very fast first interval. My last set of 8 a week ago were 1:58.5 and the week before that 1:58.1, so I believe this was a pretty nice improvement.

Finished with a 5K in 24 minutes flat on a C/D and called it a day. Proud of myself for completing it. Can't wait to get the rower fixed.

Also did supersets this AM lifting. Nothing super heavy but hard enough for me.
  • AnnPT77
    I failed to check in yesterday, but did do the usual stationary biking, still at 10k+3' CD, easy pace (about 3 beats over the edge into Z3 for less than 3', otherwise all Z2 and below - 88W average on the 10k piece), total of 11,109 pseudo-meters in 29:38 overall with the CD.

Today, a shorter than usual workout, plus a little quicker, because I was running behind on getting ready to meet a friend for lunch. Rowing machine, 2 x (2500m on, 2' off/CD), pieces took 12:10.6 (2:26.1 pace, 24 spm, 112W) and 11:37.3 (2:19.4 pace, 23 spm, 129W), total of 5,542 pseudo-meters in 27:47.9 overall, with the off/CD bits.

This was harder, not gonna lie, but not max effort. About 12 and a half minutes in each of Z3 & Z4, the rest below, peak HR was 160 (around 84% reserve, 89% max), average 143 - happy to still get a (IMO) decently quick drop during the first 2' row out/drink/row in, and during the 2' CD.
    albiudurrjn2.png

Better yet, no exercise-induced cough. I keep looking out warily for signs of the scan-diagnosed early COPD, but so far I still feel pretty much as I always have during workouts, even at reasonable intensity.

Not sure what that whacky spike in the first piece was - maybe a misread? Didn't feel anything, didn't materially change stroke rating. 🤷‍♀️
  • MikePfirrman
    @AnnPT77 -- I work my *kitten* off just to be in the top 50% of rowers and you throw down some times that would likely easily put you in the top 10 of your age group for lightweight women in the world. That's impressive!