WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2022

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Hi all!
    I woke up Monday morning with a renewed sense of purpose and to that end I am very happy to report that I have been more or less on target for CI vs CO since then. Was I perfect? lol, no, but I have been a lot closer than usual. And I am tracking, that's the part that I don't like, but it's the only way to keep me honest. I have set my fitbit alarm to go off at 7:30 which gives me enough time to have a treat after dinner, but the alarm tells me to go brush my teeth which will then make it so I won't graze my way thru the kitchen. I haven't always brushed my teeth right away, but it is a reminder for me that I am done eating for that day and I've been able to respect that. Baby steps!
    Betsy, I am glad that Mark did call you, but equally glad that you didn't engage with him over his father's supposed shortcomings. It certainly is not up to you to make him feel better about cutting you both out of his life for the last two years! And shame on him for trying! Sounds like a guilty conscience to me....
    Tracey, I love the deadline for complaints! I must remember that.....
    Michele, happy to hear that the guy accepted your coupon for the oil change, I can't believe that he would say he's been told not to! And if it is the case that they aren't honouring the coupons, there should be a rather big sign stating that! The whole idea of coupons is to get you in the store, then they are supposed to knock you out with great service/food/whatever so that you'll come back again and pay full price! Customer service truly is a dead art....
    Well, it's getting late, work tomorrow, so must go to bed.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Katla - I think it is a wonderful idea! Your daughter is an absolute gem. :D<3 Changes are always hard, but the only certain thing in life is, nothing stays the same. We are all getting older. I have a cleaner. We get people to do things for us that once we could have done in a flash. I was happy to have my son show DH how to do the Firestick. I could do it, but it makes life easier.
    My thoughts are with you. You are so lucky to have caring children in your life. It will make them happy to be confident you have some help, as they live a long way away. My son can dash over anytime, but they can't. Think of it as a present to them. :p<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx and a great spot about the shoes! My old slippers have worn flat. :o
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited March 2022
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka— DH has had a productive meeting with his doctor and another appointment is scheduled.

We both had a meeting with a woman who is in the business of home healthcare. She requested to see that his shoes were not slick. An old pair were thrown away but dh had a new pair that don’t have slick soles. She plans to find a part-time caregiver and possible housecleaner.

This feels like a huge whirlpool. We have many more changes than I expected.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

You haven't told us much about your husband's condition but I think I understand why not.

Nevertheless, the changes you have mentioned are expected and not surprising given what I think your (both you and your husband's) situation is.

I am pleased to hear the changes and I am really glad your daughter is there coordinating things.

Questions/Comments:

Do you have a bedroom on the main level? It's possible you and your husband may need to move into that room so that you both don't need to climb stairs but can remain mobile ... for safety reasons. For example, if something happened in the house, like a fire, could you and your husband leave the house relatively quickly right now? Or would the stairs pose a significant difficulty?

You may need to make some changes to your bathroom so that there are stability bars, a way to sit in the shower, etc. Is there a bathroom on the main level? I hope so.

It is also possible that you and your husband may need to go into a "lifestyle village" - 55+, single level, accessible bathroom & kitchen, and medical staff on site at some point soon. I'm sure your daughter will start looking into that for you. Quite frankly, I would not rent or purchase a 2 (or more) storey house. Ours does have a basement, but the main living area is all on one level which is so much more accessible.

I presume your husband doesn't drive anymore??

I think it's great that you're getting help ... that your daughter is working on setting up help.

And finally, have you been to see the doctor with your daughter yet?

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited March 2022
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Katla,
    Sounds like some changes might make life easier and safer for you and your husband. You wrote about your husbands slick soles on one pair of shoes. I checked my shoes and I have two pairs that I've worn the tread from really aggressive to slick. I have slipped and never gave the worn tread a thought. I think it is good that you have someone looking for what might cause difficulties. It will be interesting what else your homeware person discusses.
    Good night Gals
    Betsy in NW WA

Shoes were something we have to keep an eye on with my husband.

Also ...

The Number 1 reason why we put the gravel down outside was because my husband slipped and fell out there a few times. Now the gravel is much more "grippy" and he doesn't slip.

We've also purchased hand rails from the local tip shops which we and my husband's son are going to install so that going up and down the many slopes and stairs outside will be safer.

In addition, because falls can happen inside too, it was recommended that we have fluffy bathmats in the bathroom, and clear the walkways in the house so that there are no tripping hazards.

We rearranged the bedroom so that we can access both of our beds easily and I do a "sweep" for tripping hazards just about every day.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited March 2022
    We could live on the ground floor if necessary,. DH's large front study could easily be a bedroom and we have a downstairs lavatory and washbasin. I have broached the subject of putting in a downstairs wet room in the utility room, but these things take a long time for DH to absorb. :#:# By the time people find out they need to change things, it's already too late. I'm going to have to raise the subject of the LPOA again sometime. I did get a quote from a solicitor in case he prefers that method. Mine was nearly done more cheaply online when I stopped because he wasn't doing his. It's still there ready to go.
    Our house is 3 levels, but we could easily have a stairlift to two of them.

I have to tread carefully with him, but he usually comes round eventually. :|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, CI<CO, CI<250<CO.
    Bonus: 5 mins legs up the wall, board meeting minutes, reconciled MasterCard, finished charitable, rx, and med prof deductions.
    Just one thing: back to bupkes.
    Workin’ on it: 142.9, H20x4, active 2:46
    Mindful March
    30: Mentally scan your body and notice what it is feeling.
    31: Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Reconciled MasterCard, this time to the penny. Really need to get taxes done, need that refund to cover next month’s anticipated medical and DDS bills, Ugh.

Spent hours at computer today, writing up board meeting minutes, itemizing charitable and some of our medical expense deductions. Did make myself get up and march in place while watching two Jeopardy episodes which helped. Dogs to Gold Beach shelter for nail trims tomorrow then finish taxes, I hope!

Hi right back atcha Julie!
    Katla so glad to hear you’re getting help. It must be unsettling to be faced with many changes all at once, but imho getting help is long overdue.
    Welcome @Joyfulandactive! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Tracey a 50% friends and family discount? Halelujah!
    Kylia good to see you popping in.
    Barbie great Lenten discipline. ;)

Just skimmed as now super sleepy.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Well ive tried to type a note here 3 times and poof.. sheesh.
    Anyway Katla
    My place is a 55 + condo complex ,all ADA compliant
    Its 3 stories with elevators a library,a gym,a pub ( byob) a laundry room ,quite a few people in wheelchairs,walkers etc... and alot if them have caregivers come in..
    Its a very nice community..but it is you buy the condo..its not assisted living type .but it sure is wonderful.
    Let your daughter help get you and your husband the help you need..I figured my parents raised me the least i could do when they were older was help them like they helped me..
    Lisa- hope you weren't anywhere near those tornadoes that went through Arkansas..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) Last day of the month. I'll post the new thread and a link to it later today.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Good morning all!! For those of you who were tired last nite, I was exhausted, so in the jammies i went! At work now, have a great day!
  • kamaperry
    exermom wrote: »

Worked today. Jerry actually did the pickles for me!

Loki is supposed to go for an ultrasound tomorrow.

Finished the jigsaw puzzle. Now I have to put the modpodge on it. Jessica wants me to display it, but to be honest, I don’t know where to

Rori – have a great time in San Diego. How long will you be gone?

Lisa – Egg is just helping you do your ab exercises! Didn’t you know????

Betsy – what a wonderful conversation you had with Mark. He has his problems, that’s for sure. You did a great job of not making them yours.

Kama – welcome! Another kitty lover. We had 4, lost 2 to cancer (d*** cancer cells!), now have one that has dementia and the other one has a seizure disorder and an anxiety disorder.

Lynette asked me to make her father gluten free snacks. I said “OK”. Then I was at the Green Room and realized that she probably meant forever. So I looked online to see places where you can buy gluten free cookies, donuts, etc. Actually, Amazon has some. I don’t mind doing it once or twice, but not all the time! She was going to buy the mix – I’m certainly not. So I guess we shall see what the future holds

Tina – I’m sorry for your loss. He was so young!

The Humane Society here has a thrift shop. Actually, it’s pretty upscale. Anyway, I took some of the dry cat food we had left over from when we had to put Clyde to sleep

After the Green Room went to get my oil changed in the car. While they were doing that I went to Aldi. Anyway, I had a coupon for $20 and figured with tax and all, it probably came to around $25. I happened to look at the screen and saw that they were charging $35 to my account. So I told the guy that I had a coupon and , get this, he told me that they can’t accept the coupon since the price of oil went up. Thanks for telling me! I realize prices are going up, but if you aren’t going to accept the coupon, you shouldn’t have sent it out or at the very least told me before you started doing the work. In the end, he did accept the coupon, but I couldn’t believe that he said that he was told he didn’t have to accept it.

Tracey – what a discount!!!!!

Went to the dollar store. Bought poster board to put under the puzzle while I put the modpodge on it, a graduation card for Jess and more of the mats we use outside the litter box.

Well, off to get ready for bed. Take care everyone.

Michele NC

So sorry for your loss!
  • kamaperry
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Good evening all:

Betsy-good job with phone call. I would imagine Mark will drift away.

Karen-I have looked at a couple of those sort of retirement places. My main problem is deciding on an area for one-here, Arizona, Columbus? Oh well, it will become apparent to me at some time.

Julie-hope all is going well.

Katia-hard to know what thoughts to share without really understanding what you are going through. It is obvious from what you have said that your husband has some definite health issues and has somewhat limited mobility. If you can get some assistance to help care for him and keep him at home, that sounds like the sensible thing to do.

Rita-blah days can be ok. I thinks sometimes we set expectations that things should always be exciting.

Kama-welcome to the group. I have two cats.

Carla-thanks! Keurig was actually bought 7 years ago (husband died in 2015). I have since gone back to regular coffee maker-because that's what I wanted!

Off to take care of dishes and pack my lunch for tomorrow. Have two more staff meetings tomorrow and then I am done with those until June!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Thanks for the welcome!
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    :)<3:)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Katla--Sounds like DD is helping getting things in place for you and DH. Glad she is there and you are getting what you need lined up.

Sue--I am only planting 2 cherry tomatoe plants this year also. Last year our DS and wife brought me a tire they painted purple and planted a cherry tomatoe plant inside. It worked great. So going to do that this year, just going to plant 2. Good for you setting boundies with your sister and her DH.

Tracey--Sounds like a great discount to me.

Katiebug--Great new about your taxes. We had to pay in and just glad it is done for this year. Hope it goes well with the flag to your dad. I do have a question, why are they giving him the flag now? I guess I thought they gave them to the family at the funeral. That is what they did with my DFIL.

Lisa--So glad DH got stopped from going into the tornados.

Last day of the month and woke up to snow and ice this morning, but already warming up to 50's so will be gone by the time I get off work.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3