Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've had intermittent issues with organic half & half and Cabot cottage cheese for some time.

I've been worried about cat food but so far no issues with what I get - the 14 pound dry Rachel Ray via Amazon Subscribe & Save. The vet techs said they were passing him around and marveling at how soft his coat is. I started paying attention to cat food ingredients over 20 years ago when I had a cat with a bad coat. I asked the vet about it. He asked what I fed him. I said whatever I have a coupon for. He kind of gave me a look. He failed on his opportunity to educate me, but I picked up on the look and educated myself.

Rachel Ray is kind of middle of the line. There are definitely better brands, but he likes it, has a great coat ("softest coat ever" according to the vet techs), and it fits my budget.

I don't understand the point in canned food and have never used it. Maybe we could start a new thread for this? :lol:

:) When we adopted Han Solo, Sept 2017, it turns out he was an IBD cat. That led me to related IBD groups, and then feline health and nutrition groups. Yes, the topic would require a whole thread in itself, and I know everyone would get quite bored. Short story, Han is fed only wet food and PITA Harry is about 75% to 90% wet with part of that "wet" being balanced homemade.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    My cat will not drink water! She never has in all the years she has been with me. We always put a bowl of water down for her but she never even looks at it, I've even tried filtered water. She came to me on dry food. I'd been told of her long history of cystitis and blood in her urine etc. I wanted better for her than that so I decided it had to be moist foods for her. she arrived with a coat very much like a bottle brush it was so very hard now she is as soft as sable. She's been my little pall since November 2013. She is a ripe age now without any incontinence, or any other urinary tract issues, at least for now, she is fast becoming elderly and who knows.

For me you can keep your dry cat foods, even meats or fish in jelly. Its anything in gravy for her. Once I heard someone going on about, "why on earth cat soups". I told them straight, if a cat will not drink soups, cat soups can be a real help in hot weather.

The reasons for a cat not drinking can be it was taken from its mother at too young an age.Also worth considering as a wild animal any cat would hunt and take its own food, its moisture would come from the tissue and blood of the animal taken.............

In recent days I've discovered she loves goat milk. Tonight I brought out my pot of goat yoghurt she was there, looking at the pot so longingly, I gave her a scrape from a spoon and then another followed by, all gone. She was in total bliss. It turned into a real treat for sharing her home with my daughters rabbits, She remembers them from 2 1/2 years ago! and they her. (even with goat milk its best to give it half and half but she is not worried. Its not advisable to give a cat cow milk thought)

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Interesting about cats that won't drink water. I never knew that. DH had a cat that wouldn't drink water except when he left the tap going just a little bit and he'd drink from that.
  • Fuzzipeg
    edited April 2022
    SModal. you are fortunate your cats may go near running water every now and then.

We took our little girl out on a lead/harness, from a campsite a while back, (she knows she is a dog). She even does wildlife watching, birds, rabbits, anything which passes, not a his or snarl to be heard from her dashboard view point. May be she knows they belong there and she does not. On one footpath walk there was a country bridge in the middle of nowhere over a small running stream, made from railway sleepers. She gaily bounded up the two steps, then in the middle of the bridge, she froze hearing the water, she's not a water girl of any kind. Surprisingly she did not mind hearing the not so distant trains every now and then, the whistles and engines but the running water terrified her.

I've done the adding water to different flavours even blitzed some in her own small gadget adding water but she was not that interested. We may be fortunate over here to have when available, in theory age appropriate foods, those intended for the kitten, the adolescent, giggle, the mature feline and those of advancing years 11+.

Reenie - I'm glad your daughters cat found his way to get moisture. They can be pickles.

I hope the person who needs distilled water for her essential equipment can find it. Might their medical practice be able to help. Distilling your own, boiling a kettle and catching the steam is a bit on the dangerous side not to mention not necessarily as hygienic as required.

Its being reported today, the estimate of the working population off work because of covid is 1/3.
    Major airlines are canceling planes because of cabin crew shortages. Some large airports are being hit twice or three times because having slimmed their workforce to "get through lockdowns" staying profitable or skeleton crews they are now being hit by this wave of cases. Hospital admissions are up though many have covid as a secondary issue and the numbers with covid are still rising. Mask usage was reported in a local town as being only 2, members of my family and 1 shop worker!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    We may be fortunate over here to have when available, in theory age appropriate foods

We also have cat foods (and dog foods) marketed to specific age groups. (It surprises me that you would think we do not.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited April 2022
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Interesting about cats that won't drink water. I never knew that. DH had a cat that wouldn't drink water except when he left the tap going just a little bit and he'd drink from that.

I've never had a cat that would not drink water, but certainly cats that preferred to get most of their hydration from food. I've definitely found that cats often love running water (like from the tap), though. I had a cat who was very much attracted to running tap water such that I bought one of the running water drinking fountains for her, but she didn't like it, and I've gotten it out for my current cats (the cat in question is sadly no longer alive), but they also don't like it. One of my cats (my 18-year old) has gotten very interested in water, and my vet says it is because he -- like many cats of that age -- has mild kidney disease and is compensating in part by drinking more.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    As long as we're discussing cats and water, I'd love to have an explanation for my newest adoption's actions. She will not leave the water container alone. If it's a bowl, she flips it, even the 'unspillable' styles. I tried using a gallon bucket and she dragged it to the other end of the house. I've never seen this behavior before.

I have no explanation. Cats can be pips, can they not? (I am in facebook cat behavior groups. Someone there might have an insight for you.)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2022
    Got the memo my large corporation is going back to the office. Company speak for your butt will be back in an office most of the time lol.

At least masks aren't required based on state regulations.

"Over the coming weeks, we look forward to recapturing the benefits of more frequent in-person collaboration, knowledge sharing and joint problem-solving. Social and informal interactions with colleagues help strengthen our networks and connections and build rapport. Similarly, there is also work that can be accomplished productively outside the office, like individual efforts, focused work, information gathering or tackling a to-do list.

In May, we will sunset our voluntary return and encourage leaders and employees to work together to find the right balance of flexibility in meeting business and individual needs. As previously communicated, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to the frequency of working together in the office. Working productively, together or alone, is imperative. We have to continue to adapt, retaining what we learned through the pandemic while valuing the benefits of being together.

We will continue to learn, and while the workplace has and will keep evolving, what is constant is your dedication to executing our strategy and remaining engaged with our customers and each other."
  • Fuzzipeg
    edited April 2022
    Deleted - rant about prescribed supplement non availability one by 9 months another for 4 because of "ingredient issues"!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Deleted - rant about prescribed supplement non availability one by 9 months another for 4 because of "ingredient issues"!

Is this due to the pandemic?

I work for a manufacturing company and we are having trouble with getting one of our raw materials because of Russia... so it isn't always the pandemic.
  • Fuzzipeg
    I'm so medically out of it this morning, I can't get my thoughts and words together properly.

I'm sorry you face more closures and things, may be ultimately job losses but better that than lives, you should have some personal alternatives.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    In my state (in Australia) though we didn't have any long lockdowns (only lockouts/border restrictions), and a lot of people returned to work fairly quickly. Masks were not mandated initially but when we had a big outbreak mid December, masks were mandated inside by the state govt, but that finished about a month ago. Work has recommended masks inside but hasn't mandated it. My state is at its peak now with covid cases, not a large number by any means but large for the small state we are.

Which state are you in tiptoe?

I am sure you have told me before but I have forgotten.

I am in SA - we continue to have high case numbers here, mostly mild, but still some people dying.

More easing of restrictions midnight Thurs - masks which were required in all indoor public settings, unless eating/drinking or excercising, will only be required in high risk settings - hospitals, aged care facilities, community health settings, public transport, planes, inside airports (why one is more at risk inside an airport vs inside at, say, a shopping centre, alludes me)
    Also QR coding being phased out - was recently phased out in shops but still required in hospitality and health settings.
    Will only be required in hospitals and aged care facilities.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Church was full Easter Sunday. The Sign of Peace (a handshake with those around you) was back. So nice to see.