Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I have covid rn - on day 5. Given I am triple vaxx'd it's been worse than I expected. Two days of the worst flu I have ever had (relentless fever and headache even with alternating tylenol and advil every 3 hours), two days of sore throat that hurt to talk and burning sinuses, now it's like a bad cold and my eyeballs hurt. Never felt in danger of having to get care or anything, just feel awful. (It's our busiest time so I could only take one day off work - that probably isn't helping.)

Sorry you're suffering so much! Watch out for the fatigue, I've heard that's a common effect.

Coworker's daughter (vaxxed) got it in January, fairly mild case, then again in March and her second infection was much like you describe. Coworker thinks she keeps picking it up at the gym because everyone else in the household tests negative. So infection doesn't seem to confer much immunity and subsequent infections seem to be worse.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I have covid rn - on day 5. Given I am triple vaxx'd it's been worse than I expected. Two days of the worst flu I have ever had (relentless fever and headache even with alternating tylenol and advil every 3 hours), two days of sore throat that hurt to talk and burning sinuses, now it's like a bad cold and my eyeballs hurt. Never felt in danger of having to get care or anything, just feel awful. (It's our busiest time so I could only take one day off work - that probably isn't helping.)

Aren't you supposed to quarantine? How did your coworkers feel about you coming back to work with Covid?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    @33gail33 Glad you are better today. I also think it's a little surprising you felt so bad despite the 3 shots. Sounds terrible. Such a bummer, but you aren't the only one. I had one DD asymptomatic (shocked to test positive) and another who also was taken back at just how bad she felt. You are tougher than me because I would be no good at work if my eyeballs and everything hurt. Hope each day is better for you.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    @33gail33 Glad you are better today. I also think it's a little surprising you felt so bad despite the 3 shots. Sounds terrible. Such a bummer, but you aren't the only one. I had one DD asymptomatic (shocked to test positive) and another who also was taken back at just how bad she felt. You are tougher than me because I would be no good at work if my eyeballs and everything hurt. Hope each day is better for you.

Yeah my boss tested positive back in January (or February) on a routine travel test - said he wouldn't have even known if he hadn't been required to take a test. I wonder if it has to do with which vaccine we got. I got three Pfizer and I think he had some sort of AZ and Moderna combination.
  • 406MamaBear
    406MamaBear Posts: 47 Member
    @33gail33 Hope you continue to feel better! You mentioned your busy season…do take good care of yourself!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member

Yeah my boss tested positive back in January (or February) on a routine travel test - said he wouldn't have even known if he hadn't been required to take a test. I wonder if it has to do with which vaccine we got. I got three Pfizer and I think he had some sort of AZ and Moderna combination.

Not in my experience.

I have not had Covid but part of my job is doing Covid notifications - people have had it to various degrees with various combinations of AZ, Pfizer, Moderna - ie the 3 brands used in Australia where I live.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I don't think so. My whole family had it in January and we all had the same vaccines (Pfizer). My wife and I were double vaxed and boosted and both the boys were double vaxed. We all had varying degrees of symptoms. My youngest kid had the worst of it and was pretty much laid out with a high fever, congestion, sore throat, cough, etc. He pretty much didn't move for an entire day, but he was more or less normal after about 3 days. I basically had a bad head cold for 2 days and then it just kinda magically disappeared except for lingering fatigue that lasted a few weeks and strenuous cardio through me into coughing fits for about a month. My oldest kid had nothing at all and we wouldn't have known he had it had we not all tested when my youngest and I were sick. He still thinks he didn't actually have it because he was never even a little sick. My wife had some minor throat irritation and a runny nose and she said it just felt like her spring allergies which aren't particularly bad and more annoying than anything.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited April 2022
    I had a light case (3 days) in January. Didn’t bother my taste & smell. 2 others that Were sick about same time still don’t have their taste & smell right yet. I was vaxxed & boosted, others just vaxxed.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think so. My whole family had it in January and we all had the same vaccines (Pfizer). My wife and I were double vaxed and boosted and both the boys were double vaxed. We all had varying degrees of symptoms. My youngest kid had the worst of it and was pretty much laid out with a high fever, congestion, sore throat, cough, etc. He pretty much didn't move for an entire day, but he was more or less normal after about 3 days. I basically had a bad head cold for 2 days and then it just kinda magically disappeared except for lingering fatigue that lasted a few weeks and strenuous cardio through me into coughing fits for about a month. My oldest kid had nothing at all and we wouldn't have known he had it had we not all tested when my youngest and I were sick. He still thinks he didn't actually have it because he was never even a little sick. My wife had some minor throat irritation and a runny nose and she said it just felt like her spring allergies which aren't particularly bad and more annoying than anything.

Seems kind of random then. Covid is weird.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member

Studies and discussion by experts in the field (e.g. TWIV) indicate that the Moderna was holding up the best of the three options we have in the US (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J). The also seems to be evidence that a Moderna booster after the two dose Pfizer is offering higher protection than a third Pfizer. Although possibly not the highest protection, either of the RNA options is still REALLY effective overall, especially against hospitalization and death.

Like you, I had all three Pfizer. Any tests for myself or my partner have all been negative, but with the unavailability of testing around the holiday season, there's some uncertainty.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I haven't been keeping up on covid news for awhile, but have begun to hear snippets like they're suggesting masking in New York again. Does anyone here know if there's a new variant or is it omicron re-infecting or something else entirely?
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    what? panic buying in 2022? The US went through that in 2020. Nowdays, in my area, everything is back on the shelf and doctors offices don't wear mask.

I guess my tip is take this as an example of what a catastrophe looks like. Think about how you'll eat, drink, shelfter, etc.. in a real nasty even like a total collapse of a finacial system, government, war etc... Grocery stores won't be the answer :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up on covid news for awhile, but have begun to hear snippets like they're suggesting masking in New York again. Does anyone here know if there's a new variant or is it omicron re-infecting or something else entirely?

The CDC's change in guidance can be relevant. As you probably know, the new approach is based on county by county risk levels, with the risks assessed based on a combination of hospital beds capacity, hospital admissions, and the total number of new COVID cases.

IMU - as a far from expert person - some of the new variants are more transmissible, which would potentially increase new cases. (I'm saying "potentially" because of the probable behavior implications of low symptom or asymptomatic cases on testing, so that rates based on testing could mislead.) I don't know about NYC, but here we seem to be having an increasing staffing crisis (shortage) for hospitals. (I don't know for sure whether that affects the capacity measurements/estimations, but it's for sure a practical problem.)

So, two of the three factors may be trending toward higher risk here, and my county did just shift from low risk to medium risk in the CDC's evaluation scheme.

On the social front, mask use in public places has continued to drop here (per my subjective observation), with progressively fewer people wearing masks in public places (I'm mentally comparing same locations, i.e., Costco now to Costco earlier, when I say that). A fair fraction of people had been wearing masks in certain stores where now almost no one is. Also, the pressure from the public reduced masking recommendations/requirements here even in school settings where the youngest students aren't vaccine eligible (though that's reportedly maybe close). Presumably that would have some impact on community spread.

I don't know about NYC, but just looking at my area - where at least one local school system is going back to requiring masks for young students - it seems like some combination of factors can potentially lead to increases in cases and decreases in hospital capacity. Cautious authorities might decide to re-impose mask requirements, in that kind of situation.