What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    RaquelFit2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Back on the stationary bike, the usual "whatever pace" easy-ish workout, little slower this time (94W 10K, 80W 3' CD after), Z3 and below but mostly Z2. I need to start remembering to turn on the ceiling fan: I'm hot, sweat insanely much even at low exertion like this . . . just genetics, I guess?

This followed a couple of hours of homeowner-type "functional fitness": One hour of humdrum rake/weed/prune, then an hour of pulling up to 30' or so Concord grape vines out of trees and hand-hauling them to the brush pile. Playing tug-of-war with entwined sturdy vines is surprisingly effortful! 😆 Obviously, I should keep up better with the chores in the woodsier bit at the back of my lot, to avoid future repeats.

I'm well versed in "functional fitness." I spend at least three hours a day doing housework. I'd much rather go diving or hiking. Doing the laundry just doesn't raise the endorphins. Ya know what I mean??

@RaquelFit2, I'm not good about housework. I'm more like @drmwc describes, except my dining room table turned into an altered book/mixed media/visual journaling workspace a few years back. Living alone, there's no brake on my doing things the way I want, which isn't totally I good thing. I do have to do laundry, but wouldn't really call that a workout of any sort. The yard work barely qualifies (but I do find it more fun than housework).
    dralicephd wrote: »
    I did another 50 min., 3 mile elliptical session. Apparently I'm a little tired today: for the same pace as Wednesday, my heart rate was higher. Bodies are weird. :smiley:

Anyway, today is my strength training day, but I limited my routine to upper body stuff. I figured that since the effort of 3 miles was a little harder today, it would probably be prudent to not overtax my quads (and re-injure myself).

It could be the weather. (I did a pretty crappy workout today so I'm not even going to post it here.) However, my back is feeling much better so I'll have something substantial to post tomorrow.

Hey, no shame in a moderated workout, in those circumstances. Heck, in general, a workout is a workout. Feel good about doing it, and about keeping it what you need in order to pave the way back to 100%! 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 2022
    Pretty marginal rowing machine workout, earlier in the day than usual so I was feeling stiff and dull, ended up with a little higher spm for the pace (i.e., underpowered even for easy steady state). (The usual 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD), 2:28.8 pace which is OK, but 22 spm (a couple up), and ran a little high doing it (3' Z4, mostly Z3). Ugh.)

I wanted to get a row in before meeting a friend for lunch. We took a casual walk after, just 2.75mi at 2.8mph moving pace.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    @Annpt77 it is amazing and today was similar, but my favorite day of the week. The morning hike/tai chi and breakfast were combined and silent and included meditation so it went like this …. 2 1/2 mi silent meditation (v slow ) hike up mountain, tai chi on mountain, 15 minute silent meditation on top of mountain, silent hike (still slow and spaced down), contemplative walk of a zen labyrinth, silent breakfast.

The rest of the day was normal exercise. I was in a very zen mood as you might imagine so took it easy and just did pool stuff, which I find equally restorative.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    edited May 2022
    Back on the stationary bike, the usual "whatever pace" easy-ish workout, little slower this time (94W 10K, 80W 3' CD after), Z3 and below but mostly Z2. I need to start remembering to turn on the ceiling fan: I'm hot, sweat insanely much even at low exertion like this . . . just genetics, I guess?

This followed a couple of hours of homeowner-type "functional fitness": One hour of humdrum rake/weed/prune, then an hour of pulling up to 30' or so Concord grape vines out of trees and hand-hauling them to the brush pile. Playing tug-of-war with entwined sturdy vines is surprisingly effortful! 😆 Obviously, I should keep up better with the chores in the woodsier bit at the back of my lot, to avoid future repeats.

I'm well versed in "functional fitness." I spend at least three hours a day doing housework. I'd much rather go diving or hiking. Doing the laundry just doesn't raise the endorphins. Ya know what I mean??

@RaquelFit2, I'm not good about housework. I'm more like @drmwc describes, except my dining room table turned into an altered book/mixed media/visual journaling workspace a few years back. Living alone, there's no brake on my doing things the way I want, which isn't totally I good thing. I do have to do laundry, but wouldn't really call that a workout of any sort. The yard work barely qualifies (but I do find it more fun than housework).
    I did another 50 min., 3 mile elliptical session. Apparently I'm a little tired today: for the same pace as Wednesday, my heart rate was higher. Bodies are weird. :smiley:

Anyway, today is my strength training day, but I limited my routine to upper body stuff. I figured that since the effort of 3 miles was a little harder today, it would probably be prudent to not overtax my quads (and re-injure myself).

It could be the weather. (I did a pretty crappy workout today so I'm not even going to post it here.) However, my back is feeling much better so I'll have something substantial to post tomorrow.

Hey, no shame in a moderated workout, in those circumstances. Heck, in general, a workout is a workout. Feel good about doing it, and about keeping it what you need in order to pave the way back to 100%! 🙂

Housework sucks. But I do like to keep a very clean and organized home. Love being out in nature. I wish I lived in a meadow.

Thanks for support. Sometimes I read what you guys are doing and I'm a little embarrassed to post. (Maybe I'll be a bit more descriptive and it will make the workout seem more interesting and difficult. 🏋️‍♀️)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2022

Housework sucks. But I do like to keep a very clean and organized home. Love being out in nature. I wish I lived in a meadow.

Thanks for support. Sometimes I read what you guys are doing and I'm a little embarrassed to post. (Maybe I'll be a bit more descriptive and it will make the workout seem more interesting and difficult. 🏋️‍♀️)

Don't ever worry about that. If you go back through the thread, most of us have shared our stories. I literally couldn't walk for nearly two years and started back with just a few hundred meter walks. Or a few revolutions on a Stationary Bike. After like 2 or 3 years of rehab (for my knee), I got to where I could jog -- pitifully, but still. Took up Spinning (brutal at first), was the worst one in weight lifting classes, etc.

It's 100% about consistency over time. I never thought I'd be closing in on 58 years old and the best shape of my life. I was in putrid shape in my early 40s.

My son was like 14 when I was in my worst shape. By the time he was like 22, he was at the same gym as me and we would work out next to each other on the rower. He told me one day my cardio "was ridiculously good". Coming from a wrestling and soccer star, made me feel great.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member

Don't ever worry about that. If you go back through the thread, most of us have shared our stories. I literally couldn't walk for nearly two years and started back with just a few hundred meter walks. Or a few revolutions on a Stationary Bike. After like 2 or 3 years of rehab (for my knee), I got to where I could jog -- pitifully, but still. Took up Spinning (brutal at first), was the worst one in weight lifting classes, etc.

It's 100% about consistency over time. I never thought I'd be closing in on 58 years old and the best shape of my life. I was in putrid shape in my early 40s.

My son was like 14 when I was in my worst shape. By the time he was like 22, he was at the same gym as me and we would work out next to each other on the rower. He told me one day my cardio "was ridiculously good". Coming from a wrestling and soccer star, made me feel great.

Ditto to your reply. I’m most definitely a work in progress. My first stage is cardio efficiency. I know most folks will say do cardio weights etc etc. I’m doing it the way that works for me. I’m not in training for anything. Well I could say I’m training for my golden years. 40s was the dark hole I and I alone put myself in. Just ran last month my first official 10k in 29 years.

I’m doing this because well I can. Slow and steady and cautious. If at any point I’d feel something not feel right I’ll stop. To old to over do it like when I was younger. I’ll see if I can do the 7. As I’m typing this and finishing my coffee I’m thinking 🤔 of suiting up… able or not do the 7 next week will likely be a mix of rowing, elliptical, stationery bike, treadmill walks/runs and outside walks/runs but will keep them to 5k’s.

8kayxgp9a8om.jpeg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    30 min lap swim. Doing some landscaping work this afternoon.
  • JoshIsRunning
    JoshIsRunning Posts: 22 Member
    3.2 mile run in about 36 minutes
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

Please don't be the least concerned about what you do as perhaps "not (good, hard, exciting, etc.) enough". That's not the point here. Most/all of us had a stretch of inactivity that led us to realize that feeling lousy every day was no fun. And when the light bulb came on, every single person started at the beginning. There is no other way. If there is every any judgment on my part, it is with my friends and family who ask me how to improve their health and fitness, then repeatedly choose to be sedentary, thinking that there's some kind of luck or magic pill involved. I get tired of those excuses.

The beauty of this thread is that folks here understand that it is never about competition and are simply using the group thread as a way to hold ourselves accountable. Glad you're here too.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Rainy, cold and windy, so no outdoor ride today. 45 minute spin class instead. While I was satisfied with my effort as measured by my output in watts, my sweaty clothes and class rank, I failed miserably at identifying the tunes in the playlist and I admit to being out of sync during the dance style moves led by the instructor when we were out of the saddle. :)
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 2022
    Whoo Hoo! Weather and schedule finally aligned: I got out my li'l ol' lady hybrid bike, took an actual real-life bike ride through 3-dimensional space, fresh air, and even sunshine, instead of just slogging away in my stuffy living room on the stationary bike while playing internet games. There were wildflowers! Birds! People! Dogs!

Casual, easy pace, road & paved trails, 11.0mph moving average for 11.6 miles. Mostly Z2, about 4' Z3 - I'm not sure my Garmin had good wrist contact the whole time, though, and I didn't wear the chest belt. HR/speed correlation looks plausible, though on a glance, though elevation/heart rate looks iffy for one hill.

Yay! Outdoor exercise!

@RaquelFit2: What the other folks said: Please post.

We all have a story, we all started somewhere. I started getting more active . . . very, very gradually! . . . in my mid-40s, after the whole nine yards of cancer treatment - surgery, 6 months of chemotherapy, radiation. That was a slow start for sure, from a super physically depleted starting point, and with various setbacks along the way. I hadn't been consistently active for most of my life before that, other than a few years during college with an active job and walk/bike transportation. By my 40s, I'd been in a high stress, sedentary, long hours office job for a couple of decades since college. Now, I feel stronger and am objectively fitter at 66 than I was at 44, by far.

A gradual progress, creepingly slow even, but persistent over multiple years . . . goes places. You're doing the good things to move yourself along in that process.

Be proud of the things you do that move yourself forward! If posting here helps you stay engaged, please participate. Lots of us are posting here for that self-accountability.
  • RaquelFit2
    Thank you everyone for your support and sharing your personal stories. (It means a lot.) I'll keep posting and trying my best to improve. ❤️
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    301 minutes on the Elliptical for 19 miles, this AM. Today was a tougher session. Not sure why. I sort of wanted to quit earlier but persevered. I didn't hurt but was not feeling as energized as I usually do. I averaged out to 15.8 minute miles. My usual is 13 minutes to just over that. I hope I'm not coming down with something. I can sure use the calorie deficit, since tomorrow is Mother's Day and I'm having brunch at one of my son's house. I figure I will need them!
  • AnnPT77
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    301 minutes on the Elliptical for 19 miles, this AM. Today was a tougher session. Not sure why. I sort of wanted to quit earlier but persevered. I didn't hurt but was not feeling as energized as I usually do. I averaged out to 15.8 minute miles. My usual is 13 minutes to just over that. I hope I'm not coming down with something. I can sure use the calorie deficit, since tomorrow is Mother's Day and I'm having brunch at one of my son's house. I figure I will need them!

Didn't you say you did a workout on a day that would've been a light or rest day? Maybe I'm misremembering.

But that's the kind of thing that makes this kind of difference.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited May 2022
    swimmom_1 wrote: »

Didn't you say you did a workout on a day that would've been a light or rest day? Maybe I'm misremembering.

But that's the kind of thing that makes this kind of difference.

Yeah. No your correct @AnnPT77 I don't exercise on a day I work usually. Maybe only a handful of times. I was hoping that, that is the reason too. I'm feeling ok so far, otherwise.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Day 6 of my attempt to get a 10k a day from Monday-Sunday. It was rough. Windy on the longest part of the run which is back to the house. Bad nights sleep plus pushing a washer and dryer around to install a new vent hose just before the jog didn’t help. Got it done and times were not bad vs what I’ve been logging on these weeks runs. Let’s see if I can get Sundays done early since it’s mamas day.

yh33g8pkf08v.jpeg
  • RaquelFit2
    20 minute upper body workout with dumbbells using both 10 & 15 pound weights. Lite stretch afterwards. (Back is feeling much better!)
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Yard and housework yesterday... mowing, pruning, scrubbed the shower (I detest this chore...ugh), vacuuming, cleaning windows.

No idea on calorie burn, but I definitely used my whole body! I was going to elliptical this morning (in preparation for some mother's day feasting) but I don't have it in the tank today. Oh well. One day's calorie overage isn't going to make or break me.

Happy mother's day, everyone!
  • RaquelFit2
    Yard and housework yesterday... mowing, pruning, scrubbed the shower (I detest this chore...ugh), vacuuming, cleaning windows.

No idea on calorie burn, but I definitely used my whole body! I was going to elliptical this morning (in preparation for some mother's day feasting) but I don't have it in the tank today. Oh well. One day's calorie overage isn't going to make or break me.

Happy mother's day, everyone!

Woohoo! My kinda workout! ❤️❤️❤️❤️