What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Another long-ish elliptical session today, just to see what I could do. :smile: 90 minutes with about 50min. in Zone 3 and intervals into Zone 4 (about 20 min. total); machine says 5 miles. We'll see how that sits in the body over the next day or so. I have a sit-on-my-butt-for-hours kind of workday tomorrow, so I should be able to recover well.

I'm so proud of you!!! That is how I started. First time I did 70 or 72 minutes, which was how long my 3.5 mile walking loop in my neighborhood took me. But I remember I did more mileage on the elliptical.
    I'm thinking you will be ok because there is no pounding, jarring of your joints. CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you! I don't generally like going that long (it's boring.. haha), but hiking season is upon us, and I want to get used to a longer effort. I don't know how accurate the mileage on my machine is, but it really doesn't matter. It's just another benchmark for me to watch my progress over time.

Yes, the no pounding of the joints is why I have an elliptical and not a treadmill. :smile:
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    We walked for over an hour today and I was only in mild pain some of the time so I should be fine by the weekend.
    My colleague got a lovely goodbye party. I left 20min early because I was feeling restless and figured I might be able to make it to my pilates class tonight after all. And I did. So an hour of pilates bonus exercise. We rolled our calves too so my ankle feels a little better now.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well, I'm not quite conditioned yet for what I want to be doing. I woke up this morning feeling pretty shot. I'm on day 10 of my training plan which has only had one recovery day (last Sunday). I guess taking a couple of years off from actually training will do that. I'm supposed to spin today, but I'm just going out for a walk over lunch. If I'm going to miss a day, at least it's a bike day and not something I actually need to work on.

That's a fairly stiff training load right out of the gate, including the run training, which is a new stressor. You have a nice long run way to reach your race day, so I'd say enjoy the recovery day!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Bike ride to the zoo and back on the road/trails, 15.92 miles, easy pace (10.6mph moving average, all but a couple of minutes were Z1/Z2).

I resent the widespread invasive exotic honeysuckle on general principles, but I have to admit it smells lovely along the trails right now - that, plus the lilacs here and there.

This was my first foray this Spring to this part of the trail. There's an interesting-looking new fitness court in a little park about 4 miles out from home that I may need to check out in more detail sometime when I plan for it. (It's a little mysterious based on a quick look around, but I picked up the QR code to learn more about the exercises.)

xalg7259i4it.jpg

That really is a puzzling but interesting setup of equipment?!
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2022
    Move With Nicole - 30 mins full body Pilates 🙏

Caroline Girvan Iron Series Day 1 - 30 mins legs and dumbells 💪

30 mins power walk 🚶‍♀️

And now for some lunch and a sit down 🥵
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Bike ride to the zoo and back on the road/trails, 15.92 miles, easy pace (10.6mph moving average, all but a couple of minutes were Z1/Z2).

I resent the widespread invasive exotic honeysuckle on general principles, but I have to admit it smells lovely along the trails right now - that, plus the lilacs here and there.

This was my first foray this Spring to this part of the trail. There's an interesting-looking new fitness court in a little park about 4 miles out from home that I may need to check out in more detail sometime when I plan for it. (It's a little mysterious based on a quick look around, but I picked up the QR code to learn more about the exercises.)

xalg7259i4it.jpg

Nice workout! Fitness court looks like fun. 😀
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    My front squats have been sad these past few weeks. I used to use the safety bar sept-dec and that's how I got my 1RM but during the last lockdown we trained outside and I decided to try doing it the proper way. I started out barely being able to do 20kg (less than 25% of my 1RM) but built it up over a few months. In late march I got close to my 1RM (2,5kg off) but I haven't been able to hit it yet.
    Today we had to work towards 3 reps at 72,5%, 3 reps at 82,5% and 3 reps at 92,5% and I had no hope of doing it. I thought I'd be happy with 2 reps at 92,5% BUT I did it! 3 reps! And it felt okay. So maybe next week when we go for a new 1RM I'll finally be able to hit my old one.

Friday workouts are hard because I do them at noon when I usually train in the evening but today was great. We also did an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) for 8 min of 8 hang power snatches and 12 push ups. I did the push ups from a 30 inch box (which are very hard for me) and the hang power snatches at 20kg (which are pretty easy for me) and was fairly consistent ánd kept up with my not obese crowd. Very pleased.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Well, I'm not quite conditioned yet for what I want to be doing. I woke up this morning feeling pretty shot. I'm on day 10 of my training plan which has only had one recovery day (last Sunday). I guess taking a couple of years off from actually training will do that. I'm supposed to spin today, but I'm just going out for a walk over lunch. If I'm going to miss a day, at least it's a bike day and not something I actually need to work on.

That's a fairly stiff training load right out of the gate, including the run training, which is a new stressor. You have a nice long run way to reach your race day, so I'd say enjoy the recovery day!

Yeah...I figured since I've stayed pretty recreationally active I'd be ok. The plan calls for 1 rest day per week but I think I'm going to take two for the next couple of weeks and see how that goes. I agree, I think the run training being a new stressor is likely the biggest culprit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Easy swim/Easy bike today. 15 minute swim/30 minute bike all easy pace
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx wrote: »

Yeah...I figured since I've stayed pretty recreationally active I'd be ok. The plan calls for 1 rest day per week but I think I'm going to take two for the next couple of weeks and see how that goes. I agree, I think the run training being a new stressor is likely the biggest culprit.

For those of us who really love training, recovery is so important. Not only for how we feel today, but also to keep the cumulative fatigue in check so we get to race day healthy.

Seems like you are really enjoying the process.

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    45 min. elliptical... about 2.6 miles, mostly Zone 3. I had to leave it at 2.6 and not go for 3 because I'm tired today. I followed with some upper body strength training. Looking forward to a couple of rest days. I need them, I think.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2022
    @BeYourBestSelfDeb -- what Ann said. My wife has Fibromyalgia (in remission now). It's no joke. Dreadful to have. That's awesome you did what you did!

Been feeling not 100%. Not terrible but not right. Today was my harder day so I did the supersets in the AM and then did 5 X 500m rowing machine sprints w/ 1 minute rest. Ended up around 1:57 pace for the five. Should have finished off 8 just to get back to having a baseline. Finished with 2K unstrapped (at 2:22 pace) and then 20 minutes on the LateralX for a C/D.

Like was discussed above, I error on the side of caution when it comes to hard days especially. I'm not all that young anymore (will be 58 this year). If I'm not feeling 100%, I'm OK with deviating from my training plan a bit.
  • Djproulx
    Please don’t laugh but I am almost 64 and disabled. I started this plan 5/16 and everyday I strive to be more active. Today I went shopping for the first time without using a shopping scooter. I walked everywhere in the two stores I was in. Lifted all the groceries in and out of my car and put them all away.
    After lunch I swept my house and mopped my wood floor in our big living room.
    Everyday activities I use to do with ease are a real challenge now. I suffer from osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.
    But I did it!!! I am so glad to be here with all of you. Congrats to all who wrote before me, and Don’t give up!
    Thank you for allowing me to share. Debbie

Welcome! So glad to have a fellow 64 year old in the club! And well done.