Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I'm relieved your husband is up to doing bill and the like. I'm glad he has recognised the benefits of being home, the boat can wait. I wish you both well as you work towards him getting a good nights rest. Rest is a good part of recuperation. Respiration being an issue is not a good place to be, my experience of that was watching an asthmatic. Take care, Keep safe.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Thanks @fuzzipeg i appreciate all the advice!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    This was back in the days of registering cases and the medical practice was informed my husband had registered a positive test so they offered help if needed.

Do you no longer have to register cases?

Here you have to notify SA Health if you get a positive RATS test and your Dr's practice has to notify of any PCR postitives - and where I work, the Dr phones the patient to see how they are doing

Both my husband (positive PCR from symptomatic testing) and myself (positive RATS from required close contact testing) then got a text message from SA Health telling us of isolation requirements and another one giving us a help line if we had mental health issues or were not coping.
    Before that I also had a message from them advising of close contact requirements

• SModa61
    @paperpudding I am very curious. I did reach out to my PCP to get our COVID illnesses into our medical record. All I was told is to take OTC meds and reach out if we got worse. Seemed to be no interest in noting the illness, but they could just not have told me that they were registering the reports.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,748 Member
    I think there is a way here to officially report a positive home test but I also think our official #s are way lower than reality. Part of it is that people are just tired of it and don't even want to test when they have symptoms. Part of it is the home testing.

The reason I say this is I see a pretty large spike at work the past few weeks since they do report those positive and those isolating with symptoms (whether positive or not) to us . So even if our county isn't moving to a higher transmission rate officially it's definitely happening.

I only hope that this variant remains less severe and less longterm. I don't honestly believe anymore that more shots does any good against it if you have had 3 or 4. I know the party line is that they will keep you from more severe illness but not sure if the data supports that they actually do anything. Maybe. Hopefully. But I have a bit of a mistrust at this point after watching Omicron tear thru here in late Dec and January.
  • Fuzzipeg
    edited June 2022
    There do not seem to be any requirements to test. The free tests were withdrawn when the Prime Minister decided covid was no longer an issue and we all should get back to normal. I've not heard anything subsequently about local or national covid numbers in the media. Its as if its totally gone away.

I have tests in my draw to use when visiting my mother but have not had symptoms or contacts which indicate to me I need to test so I've not tried the need to report a covid case. Even the care home my mother needs to be in does not require me to test pre visit now thought someone giving personal care should test once a week. Probably there is still somewhere to report one's status, but its all on trust. Thinking about it, the Local Area Testing Centre has closed and the walk in one in town has been take away. There's no requirement to isolate a positive care either though a social worker in my wider family did isolate.

Paperpudding, where you are sounds to be much more enlightened. I'd be more than happy to still be testing and everything, its just too casual for my liking,
  • SModa61
    @summerskier Like you, I am also not convinced I want a 4th, or more, vaccination. I am not saying never, I'm just not rushing to be the front of the line and will decide when, and if, I am ready. I think DH is much more open to the 4th shot. I have just felt like crap after each of the 3, so I am not excited. PLUS, I need to finally get the darned shingles shots that I hear are going to make me feel awful too.

I am improving rapidly from the COVID. DH, is having a rough day today. Bad throat and keeps coughing up chunks of stuff.
  • paperpudding
    I am in Australia - South Australia to be exact, as different states may have slightly different requirements

There are situations in which one is required to do a PCR test - if symptomatic and RATS is negative, as there is possibility of false negative RATS. Thats why my husband did a PCR
    PCR result then gets electronically sent to your GP ( just like any other lab result for anything else) , who is required to notify SA Health.
    Just like other notifiable diseases- eg influenza, shingles etc
    Or more likely somebody on his/her behalf does, like one of the staff
    The GP is not required to contact you but most probably give you a phone call to see how you are going

There are other situations in which one is required to do a RATS - often for travel, occupational requirements, visiting Aged Care facilities, close contact requirements, or having any symptoms (if RATS is positive, no need for PCR confirmation)
    If a RATS is positive you are required to report it to SA Health - you fill in a form online to do so.

SA Health then sends you a text message telling you about home isolation and what to do if you get worse.
    They also send you another one advising you of mental health hotline and another one on day before your isolation finishes, telling you it finishes at midnight that night, unless you are still symptomatic in which case stay isolated until acute symptoms clear.
    and they send one to anyone you advised was a close contact, telling them of close contact requirements.

I'm sure there is the possibility some people have symptoms and do not get tested but work places etc wouldnt let you come to work with symptoms unless you were proven Covid negative and there is the possibility some people get a positive RATS and do not report it or self isolate - but generally speaking, I think the population is being compliant with this - and certainly one would be a social pariah, as well as behaving illegally, if one was known to not report or isolate if positive.

RATS are readily available now and not expensive - however, relevant work places supply them for employees, Aged Care facilities supply them for visitors, people on Health Care cards (ie low incomes) get them free, close contacts get them free.
    You would only buy them if you were testing for travel purposes or you had symptoms and didnt want to get a PCR (PCR's are free for everybody)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @paperpudding I am very curious. I did reach out to my PCP to get our COVID illnesses into our medical record. All I was told is to take OTC meds and reach out if we got worse. Seemed to be no interest in noting the illness, but they could just not have told me that they were registering the reports.

We don't have to report it here as far as I am aware (Canada). We can't even get a PCR test if we wanted one, and how would they ever enforce reporting a home test?

Back when my husband had it in December they were still doing PCR tests so his case is in the official numbers I guess. Mine in April was just at at home test so no one "officially" knows that I had it, it's not reported anywhere and I didn't call my doctor. I believe that only thing they are tracking here now is hospitalizations, and that has been steadily decreasing.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

We don't have to report it here as far as I am aware (Canada). We can't even get a PCR test if we wanted one, and how would they ever enforce reporting a home test?

Back when my husband had it in December they were still doing PCR tests so his case is in the official numbers I guess. Mine in April was just at at home test so no one "officially" knows that I had it, it's not reported anywhere and I didn't call my doctor. I believe that only thing they are tracking here now is hospitalizations, and that has been steadily decreasing.

Agreed, I've never heard of anywhere you could report home test results. My doctor's receptionist would lose her *kitten* if she had to handle that volume of calls.

Our health unit reports on positive PCRs (with the caveat that only vulnerable populations can get the tests), hospitalization, ICU occupancy and deaths. I've heard that waste water testing is being done in Ontario which at least tracks infection trends, but there's a lag in getting those results. It's not officially reported, we just hear occasionally "increasing" or "decreasing".
  • paperpudding
    ythannah wrote: »

Agreed, I've never heard of anywhere you could report home test results. My doctor's receptionist would lose her *kitten* if she had to handle that volume of calls.

Well, now you have.
    Compulsory in SA and encouraged to do so in QLD

But it doesn't affect doctors receptionists - you fill out a form online and it goes directly to SA Heath ( or QLD health or whatever state)

PCR tests are available to anyone here.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2022

Well, now you have.

But it doesn't affect doctors receptionists - you fill out a form online and it goes directly to SA Heath ( or QLD health or whatever state)

I believe she was agreeing with me that she had never heard of anywhere for us to report it (we both live in the same area). I doubt SA Health would have much interest in our Covid cases. :smile:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Here in the UK, when we were in the thickest of the pandemic, when a home test was needed there was expectation to log into a Public health/NHS site and record the result of the test were it negative or positive, at one time you then went on for one of the other kind of tests. part of the information given was the reason for the test, if it was because you were symptomatic, or doing it to visit a health facility, I expect there were other situations too. It was through this line of reporting a positive test earlier in the year, we heard from our medical practice, saying there are treatments and support for those who were suffering more severe symptoms. I suppose it was part of the tracking and tracing part of our system. Our public health and NHS can do some things well. Its sad health treatments being controlled by an organisation called, NICE, are in my view, not keeping up with the scientific developments in preventative medicine, particularly autoimmunity.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

Well, now you have.

I believe she was agreeing with me that she had never heard of anywhere for us to report it (we both live in the same area). I doubt SA Health would have much interest in our Covid cases. :smile:

I was! I missed the word "here" after anywhere, which would have clarified my meaning.

I'd assume our public health authority would be the ones to collect that if anyone did, since they are the oracle of all the other Covid and vaccination stats.
  • SModa61
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Regarding a fourth shot, here are the factors that matter to me.

- It will stimulate a short term flood of antibodies that peak in ~2 weeks. If I had an international trip or another occasion where I want extra protection, I would get the 4th shot a couple weeks before that. DH took our daughter to Europe and didn't want to be stuck abroad if he got sick, so he got the 4th shot before departing. I'm still waiting.
    - Studies indicate less incremental T/B-cell training (the long term protection) with more frequent successive shots of the same booster. So waiting a year between boosters (of the same formulation) stimulated better training than waiting 4 months.
    - mRNA makers have developed vaccines targeted specifically each of the major variants, but many factors contributed to not doing the translation from lab to clinic. It is a long and expensive process, and much depends on the FDA. AFAIK, from a public health messaging and confusion perspective, the FDA doesn't want new vaccines for every variant but if one were to emerge that was deadly and evaded the current vaccines, a new formulation could be worth the translational investment. If there were a new formulation approved, I would get that jab.

My MD sister MOB got her 2nd booster two weeks before her daughter's wedding. She still got sick. Not as sick as me and DH (1 booster in December), but sicker than she counted on. Her comment was "not sure of the value of that booster". Mind you she is uber pro-vaccination and is medical doctor. I told her we were waiting for "something new", not more of the same jab (like you described above).
  • paperpudding

Well, now you have.

Oh, ok - that makes more sense now.