July 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited July 2022
    The Crazy 8s race on Saturday night was hot, hot, hot. I think it was 80F at the start at 8:58 pm. There were 1504 runners who finished the race. As always, the first mile was my fastest mile at 10:46 and mile 4 was my slowest at 11:54 but I did stop to talk to a couple of my cousins and pet their dog on that mile. The course is mostly through a residential neighborhood and everyone was out on their lawns playing music and cheering even slowpokes like me on. A couple of spectators even had sprinklers set up which felt great. The winner who was from Colorado Springs (Shadrack Kipchirchir) set a course record at 22:41 beating out the 2nd place guy by six one-hundredths of a second! https://timesnews.net/sports/kipchirchir-edges-out-mantz-in-photo-finish-for-crazy-8s-usatf-title/article_3501b68c-0123-11ed-9ce5-cf7696a39597.htmlDefinitely a photo finish! Me on the other hand finished in 57:06!

@kgirlhart – What a pretty park to run in! One of my best friends has celiac and has to eat GF so I know what a pain that can be but there are so many more options these days for gluten-free. One thing I make is a grape salad (I will message you the recipe) and I love King Arthur’s brownie mix. My friend loves the Pamela’s products, especially their pancake mix and flour.

@katharmonic – Your spur of the moment get away sounds nice. The pictures are lovely and those shoes are pretty visible!

@martaindale – Hope all your flights were on time and that you are enjoying Hawaii right now!

@eleanorhawkins – I just saw an article this morning about all the fires and the people in Spain who have died from the heat. Very sad.

Great job on your virtual half marathon and bonus mile @marisap2010! I love that shirt and medal – so colorful - @katharmonic’s shoes would go great with it!

Sorry about your internet @quilteryoyo. I know that is so frustrating. Love the shirt!

Hope you had a fun time in San Fran @shanaber. Happy belated Anniversary!

@Sparx_81 – Google Yoga with Adriene. She has some videos designed specifically for runners.

@Scott6255 – Your treadmill running is so inspiring. Maybe if I had a state of the art treadmill (mine is a used one given to me by a friend) and a set-up to watch shows I would be distracted enough to at least tolerate it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Can I ask what everyones best tips are for avoiding hip flexor problems?! I've started with some yoga today to try to improve my flexibility but I know i need to start stretching after runs/ cycles!!!

Yoga is great, however, also add in foam rolling - my right hip flexor is prone to tightening up so I roll it, and my hammies, glutes, and quads and that helps more than yoga does at releasing it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    Not a lot of running here just now - school holidays are cramping my style.

Did get out on Sunday for a long run with my club - cold and clear again. (I find early Sunday mornings often are beautiful for some reason - the stillness I get, but here in Auckland, the weather can often pack in around 9am after a glorious clear start. Science may have an explanation.)
    f581ali5ffwb.jpeg

m5m7w2ivcdbt.jpeg

16pxwscibron.jpeg

We have our heat pump/air conditioning being installed today and the guys doing it keep opening the doors to outside, and I keep closing them. Yes, I understand they have to come in and out, but it's about once every 15-20 minutes, and I'm stuck here with the kids and it's only about 16˚C (60˚F) and breezy, so bloody freezing if you're just mooching. Envious of various heatwaves. Please send warmth. (And yes, I'm fully aware that 16˚C ain't that cold, but, it's all relative right?)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @7lenny7 - I am so sorry Kody is declining! It is never enough time with these pups ☹️
    I was looking for a new harness for Hobbes and saw a RuffWear one that is intended for lifting dogs when hiking but it is also for older dogs to help them up stairs, etc. It has a handle on the back and an additional strap that is lower near the hind legs. It might help with his mobility?
    My daughter went through something similar with her lab too, for at least a year he would get so panicky and pant and whine and pace. Nothing seemed to help really and all the little things that annoyed him when he was younger like bare floors would set him off.
    I love wild berries but to me those look like blackberries more than raspberries. Either way they look delicious!

@ContraryMaryMary - temps are definitely relative in how they feel but I will trade you some heat for some cold and maybe some water! I just read we are in line for more cutbacks soon. The rivers and reservoirs are so low I am not sure how they are going to be able to meet the needs of all the people and all the farms here.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @7lenny7 I'm so sorry to hear about Kody. My parents last lab had similar issues. They used a towel to lift her hind legs and help her move. Sending Kody and your family lots of love 🖤🖤🖤
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,429 Member
    @7lenny7 it saddens me hearing how Kody is declining. I have had 2 labs in the last 30 years. Both made it to right at 14 years, and both suffered with hip/ hind end deterioration, and eventually stopped moving and eating. It is Soooo sad, like watching your child suffering. You have my prayers and hugs.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    @7lenny7 I'm so sorry to hear about Kody! It gets very tough to know when to let go and make sure you're not being selfish! Been there with 2 cats recently. Hope you find peace with your decisions! <3
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @Mari33a oh no! Glad it wasn't any worse but that must still be horrible.

@kgirlhart good news about your mom. Are they going to do more tests for your daughter?