wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Karen ... but here's some advice ... if you have decided to keep your mother's upper denture because it was lined in silver ... please take care of that yourself. I'm finding some mighty odd things. :#

Beth

:D:D:D

You crack me up!

I am so glad my mother did not hide money. I have found some odd things, too, but no silver-lined upper dentures.

Love,

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Kim,

Has your mom already taken the $250,000 exclusion on capital gains on her main home? That's a biggie. We have not yet taken that exclusion, but there is no way we will have anything near $250,000 in appreciation on our house, so the improvements become moot. I do have the receipts, though, you never know when tax laws will change.

Karen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Worked then went and got my license renewed. I got one of those Real ID’s. I thought it would take a lot longer, but I was in and out in about 15-20 minutes. They had this list of things that I needed to bring, all they looked at were my passport and my driver’s license. So now I just have to wait for it to come in the mail, but my license is still good. They did give me a copy of what I will be getting. I’ll just keep that in my car and my license in my pocketbook. You know that if someone asks to see my license, just showing them a copy of the new one will throw them off.

At the DMV I found it amusing they asked “do you have any medical condition that would prevent you from driving”. I just thought to myself “yea, and that’s why I’m applying for a driver’s license”. That probably makes sense to the government.

Tina – I agree wholeheartedly, who cares what the hotel to see PJ costs. We’re going on the weekend, not during the week when the rooms are probably much more expensive. It’s probably higher since that’s Labor Day weekend and that’s the beach and a holiday destination, but who cares?

Made beef and noodles for Vince.

Lori – and don’t forget that you have us!!!

Nikki – welcome! The best advice I can give you is to log what you eat. Come here for ideas. People are always posting what they ordered at a restaurant.

Shelle – welcome. You have great goals. If it were me, what I would do is do one goal for a week (like stay under calories), the next week do another goal in addition to the calories (drink water) and so on. But don’t get discouraged if one day you, say, don’t reach your water drinking goal. The next day go back to the water and calories. Is that as thick as mud?

M – happy anniversary

Regarding cleaning ladies – Vince says that he’d get me a cleaning lady ONLY IF I couldn’t do it myself because he knows me and I’d clean before she got here so that she didn’t see it a mess and then I’d clean after she left because she didn’t do it my way. Does he know me or what?

Yesterday we worked around the drain in the backyard. I got bitten by some sort of bug and there was a searing pain. It was swelling. Today we went to Lowe’s Hardware and got more of the blocks, my hand doesn’t hurt any more. I asked Vince if he wanted to work some tonight when that area is in the shade but he said he didn’t. My guess is because of the humidity (which to me really isn’t that bad)

Vicki – I am beside excited to see PJ next week. I can almost cry.

Allie – “once a mom always a mom”. I remember Bryan one time asking when I was going to stop worrying. I told him “get used to it because when I die I’m coming back from the grave to worry about you”. Yea for Tracey. Be sure to take care of yourself.

Vince bought this lamp of cats. I just said to him “where are we going to put it?” He pointed to this place in his office where there’s a lamp that his mother made the lampshade for. Really, he complains about the cost of a hotel yet buys this lamp that we really didn’t need. Admitted, the lamp was probably less than the hotel for one night, but still….. That’s why I turned a deaf ear to the hotel-cost.

Debbie – love your coffee cup!

I deal with my mail immediately, too.

Galrayne – what Karen said about the lift. I would keep asking management when it will be fixed. I have a flotation belt that I used to use in the deep water when I took the water aerobics class in the deep end. How deep does your pool go? Maybe you can use one of those so there’d be no pressure at all on your legs

Took my sewing machine in to be fixed about a month ago. For some reason, the presser foot was REALLY hard to lift. It’s not like I do a lot of sewing, but it’s good to have if I need to fix a seam or something. So I got it fixed. The machine is probably about 40 years old. Hope it lasts another 40. It just wasn’t worth it for me to buy a new machine, it’s not like I use it a lot. So picked that up today.

My aunt had made (hand) a quilt for Vince & me before she could no longer see. I took that there along with this start of a quilt that my MIL had and wondered if there was some way to sew that on top of the quilt my aunt made. To somehow represent both families. So I’m having them quilt it and will probably give the quilt to Jess since she and MIL seemed to have a special bond. I also had these squares that were in her things so they’re going to put the squares together for me and make a quilt. Yes, it’ll be a couple hundred dollars. To me, its’ worth it. Quilting is one hobby that I absolutely hate to do. I’ll do most other crafts but I hate quilting. The one I’d like to put on top of my quilt is a double wedding ring. But they say it really can’t be done. I know Denise would never appreciate it, Jess probably would

pip – I’m glad I very seldom use that feature. Wonder what else they’re going to take away?

Katla – some times people don’t understand the ramifications of some of their actions. You absolutely need to have a talk with your daughter

rosemarie – I tried pickleball down at our condo. It’s fun, but the problem I had is that it does require some coordination.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Karen - the one time $250000 is a biggie, except when you live in California. My house which is 1/3 the size of my mom's gained over $250,000 in value over the last 5-6 years. And my mom and dad bought the house in 1966.

Kim in N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are having a quiet day today. I had a chat with a woman who lives across the hall. She has set up a lovely display of old & antique furniture and attractive artificial flowers. 🌺 🌸 🌼
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    Belated welcome @AthleteLori near Chi. Hope to see pics of Lilo, Zed and Jax, oh and Lena too if you wish ;)

Just skimmin’ but had to say Tracey that “Dear Diet” meme made me laugh right out loud, as did 1derland99’s DiddlySquats.

Through pg 33

Done:
    8/15: Move: 0.5 set pt, active mins:174 steps:8950
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) +11+1 so far: artichoke, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, corn, green beans, jalapeno, onion, pineapple, potatoes, romaine, snap peas. CI<CO=521
    Live: readings, BP, road trip w/C&T Circles in the Sand, Shore Acres.
    Wt: 141.1

8/14: Move: 1.75 sets pt. active mins:299 steps:7517
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) +11 so far: artichoke, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, corn, green beans, jalapeno, onion, pineapple, potatoes, snap peas. CI<CO=460
    Live: Joe, readings, road trip w/C&T: Dragonfly Farmers’ market, Bandon shopping , dinner at Lord Bennet’s.
    Wt: 140.7
    Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

2022: Be still and listen.
    August: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Karen and Machka, way to go on the weight loss! Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,528 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Katla, I wonder if part of the stipulation, living at husbands care facility is that you give up rights to drive. I mean for some in a care facility, its a safeness factor, from themselves and people out on the road. But for spouses that's a whole other issue. If you are ok to drive, and have been given the ok by DMV to do so, then its your right to reclaim ownership of the car, not your daughters decision. I hope it gets all ironed out friend! The lady across the way sounds like quite a character. Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,678 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Had a nice evening with the girls, but feeling horrible, i have figured its allergies and will see what i can get,will have to pick up flonase,think that is the only thing i can take with my meds..
    Im hitting the hay.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Still skimming, just had to whoosh :heart: and ((hugs)) and prayers to Lori, Beth and their moms.

Thanks Barbie for asking, and Lisa in AR for explaining. Like Suebdew was wondering what Estimated Time of Arrival had to do with Lisa’s post.

Just through pg 38
    Done:
    8/17: Move: 0 set pt, pt appt, line dance class. active mins:268 steps:7907
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) +11+1+3+2 so far: artichoke, avocado, banana, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cherries, corn, green beans, jalapeno, onion, pineapple, potatoes, romaine, snap peas, snow peas, walnuts, CI<CO=1112
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, play with plants, Grocery outlet.
    Wt:140.2
    8/16: Move: 1.75 set pt, dogs to powerline, play with plants, line dance class. active mins:344 steps:7462
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) +11+1+3 so far: artichoke, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cherries, corn, green beans, jalapeno, onion, pineapple, potatoes, romaine, snap peas, snow peas, walnuts, CI<CO=1127
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, groom Tumble.
    Wt:140.0
    Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

2022: Be still and listen.
    August: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH is working on improving his health following a major hear attack, and he is making progress. Our daughter has taken my car for herself. I am furious and DH is in my court. We will see how things go from here.

Are you still able to drive?
    Have YOU been to the doctor for a full physical and assessment recently?
    We worry about YOU.

exermom wrote: »
    At the DMV I found it amusing they asked “do you have any medical condition that would prevent you from driving”. I just thought to myself “yea, and that’s why I’m applying for a driver’s license”. That probably makes sense to the government.
    Michele NC

If someone did, they probably wouldn't tell them.

But maybe they have some people ask what medical conditions might prevent a person from driving ... things like epilepsy, sleep disorders, vision problems, dementia, etc.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    ___
    Downsizing update:

We have 25 of those realistic-looking battery operated pillar candles! 25!!! It's too many for this house, much less an apartment with no fireplace mantles, no dining room or DR table, and only 2 bedrooms! I refuse to store items like that. We agreed weeks ago that we will take nothing to the new apartment that does not have a place or a purpose. I figure there is a place on a display shelf for a grouping of 3 of the candles. Storing the other 22 is ridiculous. This is but one example of what I am dealing with. She wants to keep everything that we "might" need someday. Ugh!!! Tearing my hair out.

Karen in Virginia

I use those battery candles as nightlights. The ones I have, have a timer that you can have on for 5 hours. I put one in the bathroom and it comes on at midnight-ish and goes out about daylight. It's the perfect amount of light for nighttime bathroom trips.

Tina in CA

We've got battery operated motion detecting lights in our toilet room for that same purpose.

Plus we've got plug-in night lights in the hallway and bathroom.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

What papers do we really need to keep, anyway? You are way ahead of me on this one.

I already receive statements and most end-of-year forms electronically, but now I shred/recycle/respond to all mail daily, a habit I wish I'd developed decades ago. Very few papers are filed these days, and even most personal mail goes into the shredder after a few days and several rereadings. No more piles of mail. It's amazing how painless it is once started. Finding stacks of old greeting cards, Christmas letters, memorial cards, and letters has certainly cured me of saving every.single.one.

Karen in Virginia

I scan or take photos of most everything I can so I don't have to keep paper. The only things I keep in paper form are tax related things and house paperwork, like the note. Everything else I have managed to mostly put onto the computer. If I get something that I want to keep as a momento, I take a photo and toss it into the trash/recycling. I managed to get a two drawer lateral cabinet down to about 1/4 of one drawer.

Tina in CA

That's exactly what I've been wanting to do since I graduated in December 2020 and thought I'd have more time!!!

The time factor hasn't materialised yet, but it is still my goal.

However, in packing up to move in 2004 and 2009, I purged a lot of stuff, including paper. So I don't have lot of old paperwork. But I do have a lot of newer paperwork, and when you've got someone who has a severe workplace injury (husband), there is so much new paperwork.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited August 2022
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    DID U SEE THIS???!!!

2ngqgkugrgyt.jpeg

I use the barcode thing about once every couple months. I eat the same things over and over so they're in my list already. Only occasionally do I have to add something new.

I'll have to think about whether Premium would be worth it for me.

Plus fresh veggies and fruit don't have barcodes. :smiley:

Plant based foods week of 8/21/22
    1. Broccoli
    2. Cauliflower
    3. Carrots
    4. Snowpeas
    5. Corn
    6. Black beans
    7. Wheat
    8. Pumpkin seeds
    9. Various other seeds
    10. Spices of various sorts (we've had Indian food twice this week)
    11. Olives
    12. Onion
    13. Almonds
    14. Cashews
    15. Mandarins
    16. Potatoes
    17. Sweet potato
    18. Pumpkin
    19. Coffee
    20. Tea
    21. And probably more ... I should pay a bit more attention. The bulk of my diet is plant based. :)

On our anniversary I had Malai Paneer: cottage cheese cooked in luscious cashew & almond curry paste ... and tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, cardamom etc. etc.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    tn7ksx9trzs3.png

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Karen - the one time $250000 is a biggie, except when you live in California. My house which is 1/3 the size of my mom's gained over $250,000 in value over the last 5-6 years. And my mom and dad bought the house in 1966.

Kim in N. California

OMG, Kim, that is mind boggling! So I see why you are being meticulous about documenting improvements. Wowza!

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    Karen and Machka, way to go on the weight loss! Yay!

Annie in Delaware

Thanks!! I am pretty psyched. I am looking forward to being in a normal weight range, and I am optimistic that I will achieve that.

Karen in Virginia