WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals;

Heather – I know that you were serious; but I was laughing out loud – the power issue in my home NEVER bothers me unless I have overnight guests, and even then, I just make the appropriate accommodation and they never even know. My hot water, cooking and small heater unit is gas, everything else is electric, but it is never one to many light bulbs… it is only items that heat. And honestly if I am home alone (most of the time) I do not need 2 things going at the same time.

Nature sounds – waves and the honking of Canadian geese

Lisa I agree $15,000 is a huge amount and I have no idea where it will come from, but it feels closer than $60K…

Katla – holding you and your DH in my heart

Night eating – why decide it is bad, just save some calories and eat them then. Maybe if you had a set amount of calories you would eat something more healthy than junk food.

Kim in cooler N. California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    aimjolie wrote: »
    How does everyone deal with night eating? I have no problem trying to eat healthy and stay under the 1200-1300 calories limit to try and lose some weight. My problem is night eating. I get the munchies late at night around 11pm. I tried just going to bed but it’s difficult to sleep when you are a night owl and crave some junk to eat. I tried not to buy any junk food. If there is no junk to eat, I’ll grab a spoon and eat peanut butter out of the jar. I know this is a bad habit and it’s not good to eat late at night. I just find it difficult to get rid of this bad habit. Any suggestions?

Sometimes I have an apple late in the evening.

I'm a night owl too and so my eating doesn't start till 11:30 am and I don't eat much before my 6:30 pm dinner.

Dinner at 6:30 pm
    Dessert at about 8 pm
    Apple (if I am really hungry) at about 10 pm.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating late at night ... unless it causes you digestive distress in the night.

M in Oz
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Debbie – what a lovely home. I love ranches. But, alas, I’m not in IN

Vicki – yea for good hearts. Must be all that aerobic exercise.

Aimjolie – I try to go to bed, even if it’s just reading a book or magazine. I know how hard it can be when you are craving something – anything. If I have anything, I try to have something that digests fairly quickly like applesauce or saltine crackers. I do many times freeze the applesauce so it’s like an icee. I also freeze grapes. Makes a good snack One of my bad habits is that I feel every time I’m at the computer I should be eating. I’m slowly but surely trying to break myself of this.

Went to ceramics tonight. Tired so think I’ll go to bed so I’m somewhat refreshed for work tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    (((Katla)))
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals;

Lisa I agree $15,000 is a huge amount and I have no idea where it will come from, but it feels closer than $60K…

Kim in cooler N. California

Is it possible to fix part of the problem at a time?
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited September 2022
    Kim - I think I was thinking that you could cool one room with a portable a/c. They work well for £400 or so . A good temporary solution.

I eat breakfast at 8. Lunch at 12.15. Sometimes a 100 cal protein snack at 3, ( but I'm weaning myself off that :) ), and my main evening meal at 6. At 7.45, choice of any two from, stewed fruit with yoghurt, dark chocolate with hazlenuts, or cheese. That gives me 12 hours until my next meal, and I am not hungry. I go to sleep around 11 - 11.30 and wake around 6. I have a short nap most afternoons.
    For me, a good evening meal is essential. Proper 'dinner', French style. If I don't have that, and that is rare, I will start picking at food, visiting the fridge, and end up eating much more. Protein and lots of veg. Not much carbohydrate. I give DH extra carbs. Occasionally I have a risotto, but it's a mushroom one. I always have a 'drink' with dinner, to mark thst it is a proper celebratory meal. Nice crockery, cutlery, and glasses, even though we have it on a tray while watching TV. Drinks are often AF, but resemble alcohol, to mark the occasion.
    I find depriving myself definitely doesn't work for me. I like to feel treated and get a lot of pleasure from food. Rushed snacks are deadly for me as I always crave more. Good food satisfies my body and, more importantly, my mind. I am worth it.

:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

From a different perspective ... :tongue:

I regard food and eating as a necessity ... as fuel ... as a bit of a time-consuming annoyance. I have to eat or I'll get light-headed and crabby and I won't be able to concentrate on all the work I do or I won't have the energy to walk, cycle, etc..

At work, I eat at my desk while working and dessert is at my desk at home.

Dinner is a quick bite to eat at our gorgeous old table we got at a tip shop. The fact that I love the table is about the only reason I eat at a table!

I've been doing a form of Intermittent Fasting most of my adult life.

I start eating at 11:30 am with a tiny snack ... and usually wrap it up at about 8 pm. So for about 15-16 hours I don't eat.

And, like Barbie here, I eat basically the same thing just about every day.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Praying the bids on the house go up- 3 bed/2 bath with inground pool is at 100,000 right now- They need the money to pay for the new place Carl is at.

Anyone looking for a house in Huntington, IN- I know a place!!
    gkp6g9kzh8u4.png

Debbie

That house is at $100,000???!!!

WOW!

Is there something up with the foundations or does it need a reno?

A house like that would be going for over half a million here.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Doctor called with final results and my heart is good. I have to get a handle on my stress level. Doing a lot of praying about that. One day at a time.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

You work so much ... so many long hours. It's no wonder you are stressed. I hope you are able to get a full set of staff so that you can take more time off.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    i690ksr3khdq.png

So far ...

Ocean waves
    Cat purrs
    Thunderstorms
    Hoofbeats
    Waves
    Honking of Canadian geese

Did I miss any?

:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited September 2022
    I can't quite believe it! I've asked a company to come over next week to see if they can repair our bedroom window, instead of having to replace the whole thing. They seemed very optimistic! :o It will be much cheaper and less disruption than taking the whole window out. I am sceptical, because the two sides are rusted and jammed shut, but they were confident. I've just told DH and said I would pay for it, as he is paying for the cruise. He looked a bit blenched, but I don't think he is too upset. Obviously, they will have to be boarded up for a while. I explained it as saying he would not have a draft blowing down his neck in the winter. >:)
    This solution, if it works, will be much cheaper and much less disruptive, than total replacement. Also DH is at cricket when they come. :p The top doesn't open either, but I can live with that. The problem is the predominant west wind, carrying salt from the sea. The windows in the front of the house are fine.
    I really hope they can do it, then I can even start maybe painting that wall. I think even I can manage that! Then I can get a new blind, instead of the broken one we inherited from the teenager, which currently balances precariously on a window key. :s Ugh. There is also a totally redundant curtain rail. I can't believe we've let it get to this state.
    n9c1j86o0va6.jpg

Crossing fingers.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    I slept from 4 :15 pm yesterday until 5:30 this morning .. that cold medicine knocks you out. But i couldn't handle the sneezing and all..
    Kim- yes it was 15,000 for my kids mini splits but they are getting a good rebate and are paying for it monthly something like 140.00
    We are getting rain and thunderboomers today.
  • Machka9
    edited September 2022
    I can't quite believe it! I've asked a company to come over next week to see if they can repair our bedroom window, instead of having to replace the whole thing. They seemed very optimistic! :o It will be much cheaper and less disruption than taking the whole window out. I am sceptical, because the two sides are rusted and jammed shut, but they were confident. I've just told DH and said I would pay for it, as he is paying for the cruise. He looked a bit blenched, but I don't think he is too upset. Obviously, they will have to be boarded up for a while. I explained it as saying he would not have a draft blowing down his neck in the winter. >:)
    This solution, if it works, will be much cheaper and much less disruptive, than total replacement. Also DH is at cricket when they come. :p The top doesn't open either, but I can live with that. The problem is the predominant west wind, carrying salt from the sea. The windows in the front of the house are fine.
    I really hope they can do it, then I can even start maybe painting that wall. I think even I can manage that! Then I can get a new blind, instead of the broken one we inherited from the teenager, which currently balances precariously on a window key. :s Ugh. There is also a totally redundant curtain rail. I can't believe we've let it get to this state.
    n9c1j86o0va6.jpg

Crossing fingers.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'd guess that the blind is meant to block the light and the curtain rod is for decorative curtains.

I would have purchased a long piece of cloth and draped it over that rod by now. I did that with windows in the past. :)

I lived in this room (pictures below) for a semester a few years ago. The room was all right (see first photo), but I wanted to add something to it (see second photo). Yeah, I know, it's probably a little over the top, but I liked it then and it added some warmth around the window.

ue1gc8b8exr5.jpg
    5bdkzmtbhq9n.jpg

In fact, warmth is partly why I got that long bolt of pink fabric. I got it when I lived in a previous apartment and the window in the bedroom was COLD. It only had a venetian blind, so I went to a fabric store and looked around and spotted that pink cloth in a sale bin ... it was the end of a roll. I doubt I paid more than $20 for it. The fabric around the edges of the window blocked drafts and warmed things up.

I discovered I could make those puffy parts quite easily too ... they're done with hair ties and crumpled newspaper! :)

It's probably not the look you're going for but you never know what you might find in the sale bin of a fabric store or similar. :)

I hope you can get the window fixed up the way you like it. :)

Machka in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3 Katla <3 - So sorry to hear about your DH's current health situation. I am so glad you are close to your daughter, though. Sending all of the love and prayers.
    Pip- You reap what you sow. The fact that you participate in this wonderful fundraising event for MS tells everyone of the kindness and generosity in your soul. Generosity begets generosity. It is all well deserved. Congrats!
    Heather -glad you might have an easier and less expensive solution for the window! Oh, and the grands look wonderful in their school clothes!
    On eating at night- I am a firm believer in CICO and I agree with Machka, that unless you have some sort of digestive issue, I think eating during night hours is okay (as long as you are staying within the CICO). I wake up at 5am each morning. So, I am usually having breakfast about 7. Breakfast is usually yogurt smoothie or cottage cheese. I don't get to sit down again to eat until I get the kids down for nap at 1:30/2:00. So in the 6/7 hours between breakfast and lunch, I will have a glass of chocolate milk, or, if I have it made, some soup in my coffee cup. Easier to drink the soup while doing things with the kids. Then at 2 I will have lunch, many times a salad of some sort, with chicken (usually). Then I will eat a bit at 6pm with DH and DYS. I have to be careful what I eat/drink after 2. Many things will give me heartburn. Coffee, chocolate, wine, sugary things. Coffee and chocolate will keep me up all night. Historically, there was a time of night when people would wake up and do chores, eat, have sex, etc. There was a name for it and it escapes me now. Maybe one of the other ladies will remember...

Gotta fly, kids will be here soon and I still need to do my hair and face and get the trash to the curb! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)