WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Kelly, it seems to me your best advocates are your current and former clients. Perhaps you could put the word out to them that you have openings and would love to be interviewed by their friends/relatives for placement in your stellar daycare. <3

I had to laugh this morning when I looked at the response to my latest Buy Nothing post from yesterday. I posted quite a few things and this morning there were 117 comments, lol. It's pretty easy to find takers for unwanted possessions around here.

I'm about to add a new wrinkle by taking certain items to the auction house to go on the online site. I'm excited about it - I think it will be fun.

This morning I picked up the writing/art table at the auction headquarters for my brother, and talked to a woman about bringing things there for auction. I have to make an appointment with somebody to look at the items and write descriptions, etc. They are currently making appointments 2 weeks out, which is just about the right amount of time to get a load of treasures ready and still not ignore everything else I have to do.

Karen in Virginia

watching the auction for my former inlaws place and everything in it- ends in 15 min. House is up to 141,000, hoping it goes up or they will feel bad for not taking the deal a week and a half ago for 160.
    Some of the things are going for crazy prices and others are really low, like you said. It is fun to watch.
    I am the highest bidder on the guitar that will go back to former hubby- I told him I wanted to do that for him(didn't realize until too late that it was still at the house).

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Worked then to WalMart, then I forgot the prep that I made for Steve so had to go back to BK. See, we only have romaine lettuce and to him it not “real” lettuce so I got him “official” BK lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. LOL Green Room in a bit

Mary – what a wonderful service you will be doing!

Katla – so happy that you will be able to see dh!

Teresa ny – welcome! Same to anyone that I may have missed

KJ – I’m sorry you’re having trouble filling your spots. You have exactly the type of child care I would be looking for! Love Karen’s suggestion. What about that lady who made you the quilt? Why not tell her?

Anne DE – so sorry about your friend

debbie – HUG

When Jessica was born, I swear she needed a haircut she had so much hair. To this day it’s very thick

Went to dinner at this Italian restaurant Vince and I hadn’t been to in a long time. I know I went over on calories. The poor waiter must have been new because I was asking him what was in certain foods and he had to go back to the kitchen to ask them. So I just had the chicken the way it is, I think exceptions for him would be just too much.

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited September 2022
    Tracey - He looks amazed and delighted! :p<3

Barbie - Not great news, but, as you say, you can live with it. Happy for you to have got a diagnosis. Nothing is worse than not knowing.
    I had a long chat with my friend L yesterday. She has wet macula degeneration, but it seems to have stabilised with injections. I didn’t realise, but she also has hearing aids! Who ever thought we bright young things at university would come to this! Her grief seems to be manageable at the moment. She is crying every morning in the shower, but, like Rori, she is filling her life with travel and friends. And medical appointments. She has an itchy mole on her face that she has just been to see someone about.

DH and I were talking about cooking the other day. He used to cook much more and cooked for himself when he was on his own. Proper stews! So he has offered to make his signature Moussaka for tonight. It will do two occasions, so I can freeze half. A lovely dish, but a lot of 'faff', so I'm delighted. :p<3 He went out shopping for it yesterday.

DH's daughter was going to come with her friend to stay the night on Saturday. Then the train strike was cancelled, because of the Queen, so they were not staying the night, but we were meeting them for lunch.. Now the actual food festival they were going to has been cancelled as well. :# So she is not coming at all.
    I was a bit disappointed to miss the fish and chip lunch on the seafront, so DH has rearranged the booking and we are going earlier, on our own. Another date, Karen! <3

Much love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Tracey - He looks amazed and delighted! :p<3

Barbie - Not great news, but, as you say, you can live with it. Happy for you to have got a diagnosis. Nothing is worse than not knowing.
    I had a long chat with my friend L yesterday. She has wet macula degeneration, but it seems to have stabilised with injections. I didn’t realise, but she also has hearing aids! Who ever thought we bright young things at university would come to this! Her grief seems to be manageable at the moment. She is crying every morning in the shower, but, like Rori, she is filling her life with travel and friends. And medical appointments. She has an itchy mole on her face that she has just been to see someone about.

DH and I were talking about cooking the other day. He used to cook much more and cooked for himself when he was on his own. Proper stews! So he has offered to make his signature Moussaka for tonight. It will do two occasions, so I can freeze half. A lovely dish, but a lot of 'faff', so I'm delighted. :p<3 He went out shopping for it yesterday.

DH's daughter was going to come with her friend to stay the night on Saturday. Then the train strike was cancelled, because of the Queen, so they were not staying the night, but we were meeting them for lunch.. Now the actual food festival they were going to has been cancelled as well. :# So she is not coming at all.
    I was a bit disappointed to miss the fish and chip lunch on the seafront, so DH has rearranged the booking and we are going earlier, on our own. Another date, Karen! <3

Much love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Lemonade out of lemons! Enjoy your date with that wonderful man.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited September 2022
    Tonight!
    Trying a new-to-me author.

x3z2pqkhcscm.png

Machka in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,294 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,352 Member
    Hope it is/was a good Friday for all you lovely people.

Katla,
    I'm so glad you're with your husband and that he's improving.

Our Irish Terri, I don't think I've actually mentioned it, but I check for your updates every time I get here. Think about you often.

RoseMarie - I don't have advice for your situation because I've never experienced it, but am pleased to see that you're taking care of yourself. Insisting on routines that help you stay healthy and rested is important, and I'm glad to see you doing that. Cheering you on from way over here! :smiley:

Ah, another cool morning outside, yesterday I went back to bed, but am feeling rested and able to get outside and get some of last weekend's tree trimmings cleaned up this morning.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    I got my husband to sleep by 8pm last night and feel better rested this morning. I have told him he must go to sleep at 8 unless a caretaker is here. I can't do after 8pm any longer. I simply do not have the stamina left in me. Today I have an hair appointment and am working on a shower gift for my niece who is getting married in November. I am watching a little of SeaSide Hotel.Good series.
    I signed up for the sugar withdrawal program! I am a coca cola drinker so we will see how that goes!

Rosemarie from Georgia

The early to bed thing works well for me too. My husband goes to bed between 9 and 11 pm. Lately, it's been between 9 and 10 pm, and tonight it was 9 pm.

I like spending time with him, but when he's awake, I feel "on duty". When he goes to bed, I feel like I've got a little bit of "me time". I often turn the TV off and put on music I like. Occasionally I'll watch a movie I know he won't be into. Then I might catch up on some stuff that requires a bit more concentration, or tidy, or colour ...

Since Heather's removal of the curtain rod and wall stickers, I've been thinking about "low hanging fruit" and my tidying situation.

Most of the jobs I want to tackle would involve me getting into it and working on it for several weeks or months ... like my office. Unfortunately, I can't commit to the time involved right now.

So I went for a lunch walk and thought about what small things I could do. When I got back from lunch, I put wrote them on my list ... and tonight, after my husband went to bed, I did some of them. And I'm all set up to do a bit more.

I also finished colouring my most recent page. :)

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Small incremental victories.

I went over to the storage unit early this morning and emptied the remaining shelves of boxes. I just stacked them on the floor as there aren't that many left.

I then dismantled the shelving units and brought them home. I'll reassemble them here at the house so I can stay organized while disposing of our belongings. I'll be relieved to be done with that storage unit. It's expensive and quite frankly it's an albatross.

The other area that I'm anxious to empty is the storage under the stairs. It's full of mostly my brother's belongings, a lot of his framed art, books, etc. Once he is in an apartment whatever is worth salvaging of those items will go with him.

And then the garage is a MESS. Once I retrieve what I want to keep from the garage (very little) and remove any trash/boxes/etc., I'm going to call Habitat for Humanity and see if they have some volunteers who will just come and take everything that might be useful. If they agree to that, I am hoping
    there won't be much left. I thought about having a Buy Nothing garage sale (literally), butt I did something like that a couple of weeks ago with the crawl space full of gardening/bird house/etc., and one person just dumped pots and soil out of containers she wanted, and left the mess. I know who did it just by chance. I won't be gifting her any more items. So disrespectful. I had given her a box of very old dolls and doll parts. Now I regret it, not that I want them, but I feel miffed at her.

My brother asked me this morning if the woman running his group home has reimbursed me for the room and board I paid her prior to his SS catch up check arriving. I told him the truth ("No") but I told him to try not to worry about it. I have a letter ready to go to the woman reminding her to send the money or return it to Social Security. The attorneys are on vacation so I will have to wait to contact them for a consultation next week, but I am copying them and the DHSS inspector assigned to this group home. I noticed that this woman has at least one former complaint about money mishandling, but was found not at fault by the DHSS inspector. I hope they aren't tight. Grrrrrr!!!!

My DIL's sister is married to a county police officer who also happens to be representative payee for his wife's and my daughter's mother. I am thinking about asking him to help me as well.

Off to take my spouse for flu shot. I am waiting until October. We decided to get the new Covid vaccine in a couple of weeks to avoid having 2 shots on the same day. My spouse gets feverish and very wobbly if more than 1 vaccination is done on the same day.

Karen in Virginia