WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My margins are clear!

I went in for a dressing change and my doctor heard I was there and dropped in to have a look and tell me that my results are good. Margins are clear. She got all the cancer!

Then I came home for a nap.

This is 5 days post surgery ...
    05bharoasm7w.png

Machka in Oz

Machka,
    Yay! Yay! Yay! for clear margins!
    Wow! That is an amazing cosmetic outcome. You had a very gifted surgeon. Congratulations, Machka. I know you are relieved.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heather,
    One really good thing about UK children not being immunized against chickenpox is that previously infected adults who spend time with a currently infected child have a reduced chance of having shingles! (due to the immunity boost.) I was reading about "chickenpox parties" in the UK where young children are deliberately exposed to chickenpox, the rationale being twofold: 1) parents can "time" the chickenpox to their convenience, and 2) it's a milder disease in younger children. (This is both good & bad. Some children have a very mild case and then a much more severe case later, like Machka did.
    ___

Gratitude:
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with Brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

p2aiu6mlqyro.jpeg

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color:

22 A song that makes you happy:

23 Type of weather you love:

24 Professional who helps you:

25 Something you take for granted:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching:

27 A movie you watch over and over:

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had:

29 A place you love to visit:

30 A tool you find incredibly useful:

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated:

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Karen - I've had shingles and, later, the shingles jab. :D

Didn't get around to my hair. If I don't do these things in the morning, they don't get done. But the morning is reserved for my exercise and writing. Maybe I will have a short writing session tomorrow and get it done before lunch.

We are having squid tonight. It's a recipe I got from Elizabeth David, with a little adjustment to replicate a dish I had in the South West of France in the 80s. We revisited the town where we stayed for two weeks and I had that dish, in a restaurant near the church, on our cruise this November. :)
    v3hrfousfb8d.jpg
    At the moment, the whole house smells of cooking squid! !
    When I went to get the package out of the freezer, the whole block of baby squid had frozen solid into a chunk of ice, so I had to thaw the whole lot and cook it. I will freeze half the stew I have created and use half for the dish with tomatoes and rouille. With it we have rice and peas and asparagus.

Feeling lighter.

Glad your visit made some happy memories, Lisa :love:

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Heather glad you are feeling better!

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    Tracy was supposed to go out to lunch with boss and work colleagues Wednesday, but alot of them are sick she is wearing a mask at work..
    But I was going to stay later on Wednesday so she could go..
    I brought the wrapped presents over today ,one less thing i have to haul when i come on Saterday afternoon.
    Go to the Drs at 3:15 and I have to call other Drs office..
    Any of you that are on medicare and have supplimental get bills from drs offices?
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Squid was heavenly! :D

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Grateful:
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? My two dogs, Wicket and Brownie every day the do something to make me laugh.
    2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. The Christmas spirit making people nicer at this time of year.
    3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? My hair. It is white, pretty full with lots of body. Hairdressers always comment on how they like to work with my hair. Growing it out this winter. We will see how long I leave once the heat comes back!
    4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? My children and grandchildren.
    5 What is a book that changed your life? The Blooming of a Lotus by Thich Nhat Hann
    6 Think about something you’re good at. Customer service.
    7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To forgive myself.
    8 A basic need that has been met. My housing at the campground. Free for hosting
    9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The blue skies and 300 days of sun!
    10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Losing my job at the print shop. It allowed me to take early retirement, buy this camper after selling my house and travel!
    11 Something you use every day. My phone. I know I know, but like others, everything is on it!
    12 Something you don’t need anymore. A big house
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home: My bedroom
    14 Item of clothing—The coat I bought last January in TN
    December 15 Taste—sweets!
    December 16 Touch—The loving touches from my fur babies!
    December 17 Smell ——Baking break
    December 18 Sound—birds singing
    December 19Sight —-Snow on the mountains (but not where I am! Lol)
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Kindness Calendar:
    December 1. “Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others”: Sharing on here and hope it helps someone.
    December 2.:Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are: to be determined. I ended up talking to my uncle and a friend, both who live 2,000 miles away!
    Decembrist 3. Offer to help someone who is having
    difficulty at the moment. - I helped a mom fix her son’s bicycle.
    December 4. Support a charity, cause, or campaign you really care about. - I use Amazon Smile to
    5contribute to St. Jude’s Children Hospital
    every time I buy something, including gifts
    December 5. Leave a positive message for someone
    else to find. Left a note for DH with a
    chocolate kiss!
    December 6.Give a gift to someone who is homeless or feeling lonely. I made a person smile who was having a very bad day trying to get a campsite. I gave them one.
    December 7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. Done! Campers and DH
    December 8. Do something helpful for a friend or family
    member- I made an appointment for DH to get new glasses.
    December 9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    December 10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    December 11. Buy an extra item and donate it to a local food bank.
    December 12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love, or kindness today!
    December 13. See how many different people you can smile at today.
    December 14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one
    December 15. Contact an elderly neighbor and brighten up their day.
    December 16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you speak to.
    December 17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you!
    December 18. Ask for help and let someone else discover the joy of giving.
    December 19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated. - Going to cal my Uncle

RVRita in NM
  • grandmallie
    edited December 2022
    Options
    atfuhj55vi6b.jpg

ddslc858vf4l.jpg I bought Miles the 12 days of Christmas book at Christmas tree shop for 1.99 ,its his favorite ...so he lugs it over to grandma and I have to sing the whole thing.. and he loves it lol...
    Rita- had my tonsils and adnoids out at 30.. yup,let me tell ya that was rough.. lost 13 lbs in a week . Rough way to do it though and 2 kids under 5 ,thank goodness my mom helped out..
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,790 Member
    Options
    Flea--So sorry for your loss. May God's comfort and peace be with you. What a Blessing you are.
    Allie--Looks like a lot of fun. Glad you were able to go.
    Machka and Debbie--Glad the surgery is behind you and now you can work on resting and healing. Great new about the clear margins.
    Blessings, Vicki <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    Any of you that are on medicare and have supplimental get bills from drs offices?

:) There are many kinds of Medicare supplement insurance. Most have a deductible of some sort so there will be a bill from the doctor for the part that is still within the deductible. I

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk home to gym- 11min, .53mi= 54c
    Starve app = 65c
    Lateral machine- 27.09min, lvl6, 122ahr, 154mhr, 3mi= 235c
    Walk gym to home- 11.06min, .56mi= 67c
    Strava app = 69c
    Walk w/family- 2hrs 4min 48sec, 90elev, 2.75ap, 89ahr, 112mhr, 6.55mi= 662c
    Strava app = 803c

Total cal 1018

Lucy walked her 3mi
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Big hugs to you, Rori. <3<3<3

Loads of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Rori
    Sounds like you have been busy,but have balance..
    My son bless him bought me a yankee Candle a heat saver hat and a card which he gave me today very sweet..
    He and a bunch of friends are taking the train into NYC on the 30th for the day..sounds like they will have fun..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    (((Rori)))— Thinking of you. The Christmas season is often filled with memories, both happy and emotional. I hope you have many good memories, and may the New Year bring you joy. ❤️