• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Kymarai—I grew up with parents who were thrifty. My mom canned peaches and pears at a “do it yourself” cannery. There were never any labels on mom’s canned fruit, and none of the cans rusted or failed. They were either peaches or pears. Good memories—😊

my mom always canned veggies and fruit, so did my grandma. We grew all of our own veggies/meat/fruit. Bought very little at the store. Mom still does. We have always had an acre of garden so lots to process. Growing up, it was for our family and extended family, then it was more for Farmer's Market, then they started selling to 8 restaurants in town. Then Covid hit and no one bought. Then dad passed away. Mom hasn't done much planting the last two years but hopefully this year I can help even more and that the friends who say they will help, will show up.

I plant a little garden but don't can on my own. I help mom but don't feel comfortable doing it on my own.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Wow Lanette-that is shocking about neighbor. I had heard that often heart surgeries can change personalities of people-especially men. Had heard about just surgery in general.

Serencompassion-Beans is gorgeous!

Kylia-I remember when Miami Valley used to be THE hospital. Kettering opened an emergency room over here last year. I haven't used it but from the parking lot it would appear they have a decent business.

Allie-Miles is one happy looking young man.

Carol-don't beat yourself up over the pizza. I often have a small one for a meal.

Had busy day today. Going to out of town meeting in morning, then in office for a few, then work food pantry. Off to get some sleep so I have the energy. I agree with others-kind of a low energy day.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    💕
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Tracey, I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. I am glad that your hubby managed to get out there to see him. I hope you and your daughter have a safe trip. {{{HUGS}}}
    Lanette, that is such a sad story about your neighbour.

Once again, been reading but not commenting. Having some low energy days lately, skipped the gym today as I slept in and had wanted to get some baking done for hubby and the grandkids. None of that got done, but I did crochet a "grinch" scarf and got a snowman once started. Also got some resin casting done, trying out coloring the resin with mica powder instead of liquid resin dye. Not entirely unhappy with the result, but not totally happy either. Had the best result when I used both powder and liquid, but still not sure it's as deep a color as I want. I will keep on trying!
    I seem to recall that a few others have lost loved ones recently, my condolences to you also, sorry that I didn't take notes or comment right away, but please know that I was thinking of you.
    Well, it's late and I have my granddaughter tomorrow. It's not looking good for the gym for tomorrow either! Hopefully the weather will be decent and I'll take her to the playground. She'll love it and I'll get some fresh air too!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    My Father in Law passed this evening.
    My youngest daughter is here and we fly out in about 6 hours.

Tracey in Edmonton

So sorry. :heart:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Pointsettia's ... aren't very good for cats, so I've never had one.

MammySher wrote: »
    I myself have written software manuals and compiled a tool catalog for my work. I always wanted to write books but don't have the confidence to do so.

I've also written all sorts of documentation - instruction manuals, papers, project stuff, etc.

I have written some short stories and have waded into writing a book or two. I've even submitted a couple of the short stories to magazines. But nope.

bwcetc wrote: »
    Michele ... you should not have been transporting Jerry home to begin with and he blew it!

Beth near Buffalo

Agreed. That's one thing I don't do. Of course, most of my working/school life, I've taken the bus, cycled or walked, but when I have driven, I don't drive others.

Good afternoon ladies!

If I remember correctly, when a person goes in for surgery in our area we have to certify someone will be with them when they get home for at least the next 24 hours. I think to make sure their brains "wake up" OK.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Also ...
    "Ideally you should have someone (a relative or a friend) stay with you for a period of time after anaesthesia and surgery. One reason for this is because the effects of the operation may limit your physical activity. You may need assistance with everyday things, such as washing and dressing. Even when you are physically quite capable of attending to your own needs, you should arrange to have someone with you, in case you develop pain, vomiting, dizziness or a surgical problem like bleeding."
    https://asa.org.au/going-home/

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »

Kymarai—I grew up with parents who were thrifty. My mom canned peaches and pears at a “do it yourself” cannery. There were never any labels on mom’s canned fruit, and none of the cans rusted or failed. They were either peaches or pears. Good memories—😊

my mom always canned veggies and fruit, so did my grandma. We grew all of our own veggies/meat/fruit. Bought very little at the store. Mom still does. We have always had an acre of garden so lots to process. Growing up, it was for our family and extended family, then it was more for Farmer's Market, then they started selling to 8 restaurants in town. Then Covid hit and no one bought. Then dad passed away. Mom hasn't done much planting the last two years but hopefully this year I can help even more and that the friends who say they will help, will show up.

I plant a little garden but don't can on my own. I help mom but don't feel comfortable doing it on my own.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

My grandmother and great grandmother had big gardens and did a lot of their own canning, jam making, etc. too.

My husband has done a little canning from our garden and has frozen quite a few veggies.

I make jam from our fruit or other fruit I can get on sale..

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    Options
    P 55

I have to take my car in for it’s MOT service at 10.30am. Hoping that their is someone available to take me to the town shopping centre.

Intentions for today:
    ♦️car service
    ♦️Latin prep
    ♦️Sort out card supplies
    ♦️look out fabric for embroidery journal
    ♦️solid habits

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Options
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). I can't tell you what my favourite Christmas gift this year is yet. It's a secret.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Absolutely. It's a very rare day that I don't.

6 Share a goal you achieved last year. We completed the longest bicycle ride since my husband's accident and the fastest.

7 Slow down and savor one meal today. Mmmm ... pizza!

8 Who was your favorite teacher. My father. :):) But I've had quite a few good teachers, in addition to him, over the years.

9 Create something today. I finished creating my first work-related project plan today.

10 What is your favorite lyric from a song. Difficult one given that I like so much music. But let's go with: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices"

11 Send a card/note to someone today. Do emails count?

12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Can't tell you that! It's a secret ... same secret as my favourite Christmas gift. :)

13 Tell a random person they look "good" today. It's a bit late in the day to read this and didn't meet too many random people today ... or people in general. But I smiled at some horses and told Rhody he's gorgeous.

14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    One is a secret ... I should be able to tell you by the end of the month.
    My skin cancer surgery went better than expected and all my margins are clear.
    I've been able to hold my granddaughter.

15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week. Well, I did email a couple people yesterday. :)

16 What made you smile today. Do you mean like evil laughter?? :naughty: Or a happy smile? :smiley:
    Happy would be big fresh strawberries from our plants and my colouring book. I'm colouring little rainbows right now.

17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    Our garden

18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    House
    Bed
    Comfy PJs
    My Chair
    Food

19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently.
    I have been going to my optometrist and optical shop for several years now. I went there again today and again I was very happy with with their service.
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Tracey - My thoughts are with you as you wing your way eastward. I hope your time there will give you the opportunity to see those who matter to you. Best wishes to Rodger. <3

E-mailing morning today. Just going through my contacts and letting the appropriate ones know about MEMORY BOXES. :)

DH is out for lunch. I hope the car will have de-iced by the time he gets into it. Heavy frost last night. He's having a pub lunch in the countryside with his cricket friend.

Then Zoom later this afternoon with my old schoolfriends. My friend G texted yesterday,
    "Have started reading .... glimpsing the travails of your youth, makes me (almost) glad to be old"
    I replied, " I wholeheartedly agree"
    :p:p:p

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx