skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Barbie That is so true! And funny!
    Lanette My DH had eaten crab legs and lobster for years, but one time his lips swelled badly. No more shellfish or iodine for him.Betsy Have fun!

Hormone therapy? Any experiences? Thoughts? Thinking it might be worth checking in to.
    I hope your Tuesday was all you hoped for!

Lots of Love,
    Kylia in Ohio

Hormone therapy could have killed me. It increases the chances of blood clots in people like me who are genetically prone to developing blood clots and who have had blood clots before.

Big ol' no for me.

I struggled through years of perimenopause on my own until my husband's accident when it all became too much. Went to my gynaecological oncologist and was put on Effexor for depression and to reduce some of the perimenopause symptoms.

Still on it even though I have been fully in menopause for at least 2 years.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    mariekylco wrote: »
    Good morning- thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Marie. I'm 55 and live in lovely Northern Colorado with all sorts of outdoor opportunities. My goal is to gain muscle strength, improve core strength and lose weight overall. I am very active by nature as a nurse and a slow, long distance runner. I had been using MFP and working out the first half of 2022 with really good success- until I clumsily sustained 3 fractures in my toes in July. I wasn't healing and my doc wanted me in a fracture boot and basically stop most forms of exercise- not even swimming! I now am diagnosed with early stages of osteoporosis. Long story short, I put back on 10bs in 6mos. My husband and I are back on MFP. We have used it together to good success a few times, but seem to gain back whenever we are not mindful or we are injured. We both really love our outdoor exercise and probably rely on calorie burn for weight control more than our diets.
    Are others also working on maintaining bone and improving strength and balance while losing weight?

Well done on the long distance running!
    I'm a long distance cyclist ... or was until fairly recently, but I'm building up again.

As for maintaining bone and improving strength, I climb stairs, walk, lift weights, and do Pilates.

The climbing stairs really seems to help with weight loss.

I also rely more on calorie burn for weight control more than our diets.

Machka in Oz
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Tracey, is the the daughter and granddaughter who "think" the house is going to be theirs "soon"? I would be a little concerned about some undue pressure, but that's me. Hope someone is watching out for MIL. Sorry...

OH NO Margaret! That is my biggest fear! We get that rain, cold, ice and you just don't know what's under the snow. Hope you feel better soon.

15-If you are waiting in line today, let someone go ahead of you... don't know where I'll be waiting in line, but the next time it happens, I will.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Machka—Thank you for the news about New Zealand. Long ago, when I was in grade school, a neighbor, Mrs. White, had twin grandsons who were visiting her. They were from New Zealand. They would be in their 70’s by now. I hope they are safe, along with others. 🤞🏻 ❤️
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate a warm bowl of oatmeal.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused. In process!
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness? After I bough myself a Sonic blast to ‘cool down’.
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal. I write in a journal that has writing prompts I have to make up stories for. Yesterday I wrote a short story about a dog leash!
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you. May not be today, but i did do it on Sunday!
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know.
    #17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

Rita
  • mariekylco
    mariekylco Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Response to Kylia in Ohio:
    Hormone therapy? Any experiences? Thoughts? Thinking it might be worth checking in to.
    I hope your Tuesday was all you hoped for!
    Lots of Love,
    Kylia in Ohio

Everyone is different, but I started hormone therapy about a year and a half ago for ongoing hot flashes that continued well past my last period. My sleep improved a great deal- I guess the hot flashes were part of my sleep issues. I do toss and turn if too hot and need a cold room to sleep. I had some random joint aches and muscle aches for years that also weirdly improved. I feel much better and am not 100% sure how long I will stay on treatment.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with Miles and to the dentist this afternoon.
  • mariekylco
    mariekylco Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Debbie: I have an 87 yo mom who causes me all sorts of worry. I am lucky to live in a college town and had access to 8 free sessions of counseling directed at the family/caregivers of elderly and at risk folks. It did really help me get my own head a bit straighter. I was able to decrease conflict with the ideas she gave me- although my mom is no where near as hard as this. Just won't eat well, won't call if she is falls or is hurt, etc. Still lives on her own and no interest in moving somewhere safer.
    It may be there are caregiver support groups or services that could give you a break or help in other ways.
    Marie in Colorado
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hormone therapy I tried it when I first started menopause but almost instantly developed bleeding from my nipple. After surgery to remove the milk ducts was told not to try it again. So tougher out the symptoms of menopause and haven’t taken any until this current doctor. They routinely check my hormones and wanted to start me on some kind of hormone they sponsor. It is something they inject every 6 months. I didn’t want that, so they gave me and DH each prescription cream to use. I used it up but didn’t feel any different. The new PA I saw recommended an over-the-counter vitamin called DHEA which helped me a TON. She still tests hormones and added a test for DHEA. Hormones are now normal for someone my age and DHEA levels are high but ok because I am taking this supplement. Cheaper than the prescription stuff and works for me! May work for someone on this chat too. Give it a try and let us know how you feel on it!

Rita