Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,609 Member
    Options
    My CT calcium scan score was zero! No plaque at all! Yay!!!! Echocardiogram tomorrow morning.

Lanette Actually my brother lives in Maryland. The trip to indy has been annual from him and a friend for many years. This year they will be staying in Indianapolis with a friend of a friend. It is a 2 hour drive for us. Not sure if will tey to book hotel part way or just drive. Depends on DH. I am quite happy to just drive.

Ginny Hope you start feeling better soon.

Kylia just sharing updates from Ohio

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    f05at1h5y779.jpg
    This is the current situation
    Mr Miles on his 2nd nap..
    I'll go home after ,next wee k I have to get Homer out as Tom is going to Florida to get the roof fixed on the place down there.. but then he will be back up..Homer will be in his glory having daddy home all the time now..that will prolong his life for a good amount of time I bet...
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [quote="

When I don't feel like cooking for me, I make grilled cheese sandwiches with dill pickles on the side.

My hip, where I had one skin cancer removed, is healing nicely. It's a long scar but that's OK.

My nose, where I had the other skin cancer removed, is not healing fast enough for me. Patience. The wound is closed but the scar is still quite visible to me and the tip of my nose is numb.

Glad your MIL was nice today.

M in Oz [/quote]

the tip of my nose feels like plastic where they put the skin graft, also a bit discolored and raised around the edges. Not bad but I can see it. The one on my neck is still raised and gets a bit itchy and little pin pricks along it some times.
    Like you, trying to be patient
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Was it Debbie who mentioned doing piriformis stretches in the shower? Thank you so much, whoever it was. I have had dramatic improvement in flexibility, back/sciatic pain, sitting posture, and stride after just 2 weeks! Wow!

Karen in Virginia

Glad they help. Just a simple stretch but boy does it make a difference. You can do them out of the shower which I do before Zumba class if I remember or during the day if my back is acting up but in the hot shower is so much better. Combination of the hot massaging water with the stretches works great.
    Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Managed to print out my Advance Directions and texted my elder son to be one if my 'carers'. He was quite happy with that and said he'd do the same. I will mention it to my younger son tomorrow. I'm not putting DH in it as he would find the whole thing traumatising. His adoption has very much caused him abandonment issues. I don't think he can really accept that we are all going to die, and his previous partner's death was a trauma. I will just tell him I've done it. He could never make the decision to switch me off. :'(

I printed out all my recent poems. So, in general, a good day. A little bit unsettling, but I'm fine now. I also finished Happy Valley on iplayer. Somewhat of an emotional roller coaster, but excellent. I wouldn't watch it until I knew the ending! :D:p;) I love spoilers! Hate surprises. Especially when I am invested in the characters.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Was it Debbie who mentioned doing piriformis stretches in the shower? Thank you so much, whoever it was. I have had dramatic improvement in flexibility, back/sciatic pain, sitting posture, and stride after just 2 weeks! Wow!

Karen in Virginia

Glad they help. Just a simple stretch but boy does it make a difference. You can do them out of the shower which I do before Zumba class if I remember or during the day if my back is acting up but in the hot shower is so much better. Combination of the hot massaging water with the stretches works great.
    Debbie

Could you re-explain how to do them in the shower?? I am also having that type of issue and would like some relief! I know about the ones that you do while you are laying down or sitting up but the shower one sounds like it would work well. What do you actually do?
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

I ate 1052 calories, so I'm under my 1100 limit. I should do 300 calories of exercise, but my belly is unhappy so I might not do it today. I don't know whether to push myself or rest. One more hour of resting, then I will decide.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Karen – So glad you were able to have a talk with your son that fulfilled his needs even if not yours. Some times 50% is enough to make the jump and it looks like he felt heard enough to take the next step. And a hip hip hooray for you to be ready to accept what he is offering. I wonder how he would respond to a once a month gather for just the two of you, over meal or just a beverage, or even better a short walk. The walk and talk format works best for me when needing to have a more serious talk, as there are less listening ears around and you are not expected to have eye contact at all times, and while trying to put thoughts into words I am not always good at eye contact…

piriformis stretches- I had to look this up, didn’t know what a piriformis was, but am now curious about a couple of things – first I wonder if this is what I have that no one has been able to diagnose. On just my right leg where it meets my butt, it is painful sometimes a stronger pain some times not but always there. And so when I looked at the stretches listed on the web page they were all sitting or laying down…. Seems kinda a weird thing to do in the shower… What am I missing.
    I’m feeling like a disconnected friend, I continue to read along, but have been too busy with everything to make notes and comment much. I do think of you all and wish you well, send hugs, and think of you regularly even if I do not comment much.

Smiles Kim in N. California

I had to look the stretches up after I saw your post.
    The stretch I do in the shower is when you stand up, have your feet crossed and slowly bend and touch your toes, trade feet and do it again. Don't know the name of them, assumed that is the ones Karen was referring to.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Karen in Virginia

Debbie

Could you re-explain how to do them in the shower?? I am also having that type of issue and would like some relief! I know about the ones that you do while you are laying down or sitting up but the shower one sounds like it would work well. What do you actually do?

The stretch I do in the shower is when you stand up, have your feet crossed and slowly bend and touch your toes, trade feet and do it again. Don't know the name of them, assumed that is the ones Karen was referring to.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Pg. 51 done reading. Had appointment today. Will catch up later.
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate quiet trips to town.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused. Done
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness? After I bough myself a Sonic blast to ‘cool down’.
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal. I write in a journal that has writing prompts I have to make up stories for. Yesterday I wrote a short story about a dog leash!
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you. May not be today, but i did do it on Sunday!
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know. Will do! Didn’t have the opportunity but will watch for a chance today!
    17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger. I may have a chance today.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned. I just finished reading ‘Everything You Are’ by Kerry Anne King. It dealt with alcoholism, recovery, death, and grieving. I learned that no matter where you are in life, never give up and find a way to celebrate life.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink. Did this today. DH made me pancakes and served me coffee this morning.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings. Did this to a lady who looked angry and tired at Walmart today. Made her happy and smile.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

RVRita
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! that makes more sense than sitting in the shower!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Today is national pet day.. so my crazy dog is running around like a spaz as usual all is normal..
    End of life stuff ,im all set I think.. will done,cremation paid for,advance directives with copy of will in my lock box and with lawyer,my daughter is my go to.. only thing I have to do is set her up as POA and have her sign paperwork POD paperwork ( payable on death ) so things can be taken care of.
    I don't want them to have to worry about any of that stuff..my parents never planned anything,nor my grandparents either.. IMHO I think that just stinks

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Machka)))— Good news that the skin cancer on your hip is healing nicely. I hope your nose will heal quickly and you will be happy with the final outcome. ❤️

Kim—Would a waterproof stool or bench in the shower help you while you are stretching? ⭐️

Rita— Cudos for helping a woman at Walmart by complimenting her earrings. Her happy smile shows her pleasure from your kindness. 😊

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Karen – So glad you were able to have a talk with your son that fulfilled his needs even if not yours. Some times 50% is enough to make the jump and it looks like he felt heard enough to take the next step. And a hip hip hooray for you to be ready to accept what he is offering. I wonder how he would respond to a once a month gather for just the two of you, over meal or just a beverage, or even better a short walk. The walk and talk format works best for me when needing to have a more serious talk, as there are less listening ears around and you are not expected to have eye contact at all times, and while trying to put thoughts into words I am not always good at eye contact…

piriformis stretches- I had to look this up, didn’t know what a piriformis was, but am now curious about a couple of things – first I wonder if this is what I have that no one has been able to diagnose. On just my right leg where it meets my butt, it is painful sometimes a stronger pain some times not but always there. And so when I looked at the stretches listed on the web page they were all sitting or laying down…. Seems kinda a weird thing to do in the shower… What am I missing.
    I’m feeling like a disconnected friend, I continue to read along, but have been too busy with everything to make notes and comment much. I do think of you all and wish you well, send hugs, and think of you regularly even if I do not comment much.

Smiles Kim in N. California

I had to look the stretches up after I saw your post.

That's a stretch I used to do quite often in the middle of long distance bicycle rides. We'd stop for a break and I'd do that stretch.

You can do it straight down as you describe or off to one side or the other until you're stretching exactly what's tight.

M in Oz