• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Good morning, my little chickadees. The snow has mostly disappeared and the wind has settled, but it is still overcast. Our clocks don’t go back until 26th.

Machka: It sounds like it was just the ticket, apart from the tussle with Rhodi.

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍Prep: Monday Painters : Tuesday Craft
    📍Family Skype late afternoon
    📍Watch the finals of Dancing on Ice, Great British Pottery Throw-down after dinner

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Mary - That is exactly why we never go away with other people. NEVER. :p I can't stand all that compromising and decision making. I'm breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it! Just one other person is more than enough! I need to be in control, or with someone I can have a sensible, understanding, discussion with, and can give each other space. . Groups just don't work for me, and never have.
    Nowdays I am far too set in my ways to want to accommodate other people. Hooray! B) I hate even staying in other people's houses because I love my own routines. I can just about contemplate my DSIL, but she very quickly drives me crazy.
    Still, you have learnt from your experience and will never make that mistake again. :) Knowing one's own limitations is so important. >:)

It's warmed up a bit! :D I wasn't freezing when I crawled back into our bed this morning. Spring fever! :p

I don't mind this time change as much as the fall one, because I don't get so hungry! I get to eat earlier. Ours is always the last weekend in March.

Looking forward to a busy week, including two family get togethers and a pottery session. Going to make a stem vase, which i can use, and maybe a small pot for dips. It's supposed to be a succulent pot, but that's not my bag.
    I'm intending to go to the sushi place beforehand, as I chose badly last time. I eyed up other people's plates, so will give them another go. The sushi looked incredible. Real, live, sushi chef. It is extraordinarily expensive though. Fortunately, most of the price of the pottery session has been paid for by my brother as a birthday voucher last October.
    DH is out for a pub lunch that day, in the countryside, with his cricket friend, so won't need a full dinner. Looks like he will make himself scrambled eggs on toast.
    DH is still keen to come with me for the painting session in a few weeks time. <3

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/mar/05/my-marriage-is-in-meltdown-again-how-can-i-save-it-ask-philippa-perry

This is an article by my favourite psychotherapist. It's not intended for people whose marriages have really hit the buffers, but those that could do with a little bit of a spruce up. That's most of us, I guess. I like it because it's doable. :D Putting it into practice already.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Lisa-thanks for clarification. I thought maybe you had some "found" money. Hopefully the plan for the second house works out.

Mary-Sounds to me like your friends were being a bit of jerks-they hijacked your plan. Maybe if you had explained your thoughts on staying places, etc. when first discussing it may have helped. It is always disappointing when the vision in our mind doesn't come close to the execution.

Machka-sounds like a lovely holiday. Be careful with cat bits-good idea to use a bit of antibiotic cream. It is possible for them to get infected-cat scratch fever is real even if a bit rare. One of my brothers was hospitalized from it years ago.

Had a dusting of snow over night and more is predicted for awhile. Hope it is not much-need to drive about an hour south this pm for gs bday. Off to balance check book.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Heather I have definitely learned my lesson the hard way! I agree that family can be tolerable for about 3 days then the old saying about stinky fish I think Lisa mentioned before.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-sounds like a lovely holiday. Be careful with cat bits-good idea to use a bit of antibiotic cream. It is possible for them to get infected-cat scratch fever is real even if a bit rare. One of my brothers was hospitalized from it years ago.
    Ginny in Ohio

Cat bites seem to be a family thing ... my sister-in-law, son, and daughter-in-law have all spent time in hospital with cat bites. Recently! It seems to be the thing to do in the past few years. :neutral:

I didn't have much available when it happened because everything was packed, but then I remembered that there was hand sanitiser in the door of the van, so I put a lot of that on the wound. Gotta love the fact that we've all got hand sanitiser on hand these days! :)

When we finally got to our next place, I was able to get out the rubbing alcohol and bandaids. Now that I'm home, I've got access to antibiotic cream.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Mary- that does not sound like a fun outing at all.. I travel with one friend or solo thats it. Life is to short for all that fiddle faddle
    I do feel a bit better this morning and will try and get some things done around the condo today.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Barbara grapple is when it comes down like small ice pellets (not hail). Snarkle is my own word for it because I get snarky when we get snow after snow. I do like Carla's schnit. It snowed three times this week where enough have to shovel. We are in the top 10 snowiest winters, and the snow season is not over yet!

(((Mary))) That is why I stayed home yesterday! As much as I wanted to go see the dancing getting things were just getting more and more complicated. I listened to my gut and said NO. I enjoyed my long nap with my pup yesterday and it gave me the energy to get the snow shoveling done before I went to bed.

Yes my mom too used to say three days is the limit for having company. Like fish after three days they begin to smell.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    :) Add me to the list of people who won't travel with others. Jake and I have figured out how to blend our needs and desires when we travel together but adding anyone else would be horrible. Fortunately, we like being together.

<3Mary, I don't think there is any "fault" in what happen, just excellent experience that you can use in the future. We all learn by experience and a lot of the experience is bad. What might be a "fault" would be to do it again and expect different results.

:) I got up this morning not too much later than I would have without the time change, but i know that it will be challenging for at least the rest of the week. I'll miss the daylight on my walk this morning, but daylight on my walk is forever changing day by day, so each day will be different. I go to bed too early to benefit from the added daylight in the evening.

:)Lanette, I look forward to hearing about your adventure with chickens, When we lived out in the country, I considered chickens but was working full time and decided against the extra responsibility. Since I've been retired, we've lived in communities that don't allow them.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon or evening, as the case may be... and welcome to our new chums!

So, I barely achieved 2000+ steps by lunchtime, but that was just from my chair to the bathroom or my couch to the bathroom and back. Painful and exhausting when it's this frequent. I quit counting at 15 trips. This afternoon, things have slowed down considerably, and I'm grateful for that.

So... sent Corey off to do the shopping, and he usually runs about 90% getting the ones I actually want. Worked for me. He also got a haircut and stopped to pick up some trim and silicone caulk for the new bathtub. The latex caulk they used basically just melted away. That's OK, it's an easy fix.

Trying to figure out what to take with me to the lawyer on Tuesday. This is just the initial consultation, and I'm not sure how much this whole shooting match is going to cost--but I want some peace of mind for Corey if I take the dirt nap first, or for our kids if it works out otherwise. I'll probably take the Big Book O' Death, but I need to look through it first and get it updated.

Also trying to figure out what to do with the extra firm tofu that has been lurking at the back of my fridge for a couple weeks now. I know within reason that Corey will not be thrilled with a tofu meal--he's the original meat and potatoes guy. In fact, dinner tonight is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, because he's cooking.

Karen - Miss Rory is so sweet...

Rori - Love hearing your adventures and the joy you take in all of them.

Tracey - Love the "kiss for jam" story... it's a moment of love in a hard time for y'all.

KJ - So good to see you chime in with your expertise. My two youngest grands, 3 and 7, wore me slap OUT inside a few hours the last time they were here. I so respect and admire your ability to give these children a home-based, consistent, superbly personal daycare experience that will set them up so well in their lives to come. Your strength always amazes. I can't imagine being in the same room with a dozen kids that young for five minutes, much less five days a week.

Allie - Loved that picture of you and your friends!

((((Rosemarie))))

((((Kim))))

Quiet night at home in the offing - I'm going to go make some pimiento cheese cornbread while Corey naps out in his chair. He's finally starting to feel like himself again, but the fatigue hits him hard.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa, your writing style always captivates me. <3

...“dirt nap” :D:D:D

...ditto what you said to KJ - can’t begin to imagine caring for 14 children, especially with the high standards that Kelly has.

…is the pimiento cheese cornbread recipe worthy of publishing here? sounds so yummy

___

Best,

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    yjaq3bfiofl0.jpg This is Mary... that passed this afternoon..
    Afternoon ladies
    Well I woke up this morning with Miles cold..I tested no Covid
    My friend that was on Hospice passed a little while ago.. so there goes another one.
    Kelly - I sure wish I could get you to speak with Tracy you have the expertise about all of this..
    I want things to work out ..but if it gets to be to much physically to take care of Miles then I will let them know..I love him and live spending time with him .. but he is a wiggle worm when im trying to change his diaper and we shall see how it goes once the warm weather gets here.

Oh, Allie, she looks dear. I’m sorry you lost another friend.

And I wish Kelly could be Tracy’s role model as well. For your sake. You are one tough cookie.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I've never liked dressing on my salads. However sometimes I use a seasoning - herbs. Like a sprinkle of dried dill.

M in Oz
    I use chopped fresh herbs when I have them. Mint chives and basil are great additions.
    ☘️Terri

Irish Terri,

what are mint chives?

I have garlic chives which I love, but mint chives sound amazing!

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    edited March 2023
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Just got home from a 3 day bike trip! Vent below!
    I had been planning to go on a bike ride trip since we got our bikes a couple of years ago. This year I wanted to go to Scottsdale on the Arizona trail and take the Indian Bend path to the Rio Salado path and back home on the Grand Canal. I told my friends about my trip and they wanted to join us. Then they wanted to start planning it. They didn’t want to take the Grand Canal trail so that got cancelled. They went ahead and booked rooms at a hotel before I did. Without letting me know they were doing that. With a non refundable payment in full. They gave me information about a hotel that they wanted me to book the other night. I did that and I found out that it definitely wasn’t where I wanted to stay because it was too far away from the trail and I wanted to be close to the trail and not have to ride on busy roads. I cancelled it and booked it closer to the trail. We had to leave when they wanted to because he wakes up at 5:00 am. We met at 8:00 am. which is about the time I might start thinking about getting up! They wanted to eat at the Olive Garden that night even with all of the great local restaurants. My husband and I hate eating noodles! We went to please them and I thought they might have something else to eat but noodles…no! Everything I saw had noodles or pasta. Stomach ache waiting to happen 🤢. The next day we rode down to our other hotel on supposedly the best trail in the area. The husband could only make negative comments before we went and it turned out to be the best trail we were on. When we got to the lake area my husband and I had talked about taking a donut boat out on the lake. They immediately said no. For supper I booked at the best Mexican restaurant in town, according to the motel manager, and asked if that would be okay with them. They gave me the thumbs up. When we were there they acted like they had never eaten or liked spicy foods. In the evening we talked about our bike ride home. I usually don’t ever eat breakfast. I suggested that we ride for awhile then stop for brunch. They wanted to eat back in the town 5 miles away back to where we were the first day. To please them I found a Breakfast restaurant right off of the trail about 8 blocks away from the direction we were heading home just to satisfy their request to eat in that town. They agreed and I said that I’m not leaving until 9:00 am. When we get to the point where we would turn to go the opposite direction to the place where they wanted to eat the husband said why are we going backwards!!!! I lost it! I said you’re the ones that wanted to eat breakfast here in town!! I don’t eat breakfast EVER!! I asked my husband if I sounded angry and he said no I was just direct. I don’t think I yelled 😳 We couldn’t get home fast enough for me.
    This experience has made me not want to go anywhere with them or anyone but our kids and family ever again. I thought that I invited them to join us on our trip that I had been planning for a couple years in my mind. One where we would sleep in, eat all sorts of great things then take a long bike ride and burn off all the calories! Should I be upset with them or is it my fault or my husband’s for not reining them in when they started to change our plans??? Or did inviting them give them equal say in planning???

I’m glad I don’t Spring Ahead! I really need my rest to recuperate 😄

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

You should be upset with them unless you didn’t make it clear that the invitation was to join you for something you had planned. Once they started taking control of the planning, you really had only 2 choices - say "no, I’ve already planned this and you are invited along, take it or leave it" - or allow them to take over and accommodate them, which turned out to be a huge disappointment for you. You were optimistic that you would be able to still work in some of the things you wanted to do, but with them in the driver’s seat, it really didn’t happen. Some people don’t know how to collaborate with others. (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to travel but there are some restaurants that put cheese and butter on everything, and that's tough for a non- dairy person like me. Olive Garden isn't a good choice for me. I also like to be near a bathroom after eating unfamiliar food. A bike trip could be awkward with my delicate digestion.

Making everyone else get up early because one person can't sleep in is rude. I agree, these people are uncompromising. Lesson learned.

Time to figure out my darn clock again.

Annie in Delaware