WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Michele—I took yoga classes for several years and enjoyed them immensely. Our leader was excellent and I learned a great deal. DH has had difficult health challenges and our adult kids wanted us to be near them so we have moved to Illinois. I miss my yoga class in Oregon. I learned a great deal in that class & I am able to continue to practice the positions and skills I learned there. I now practice on my own several times a week here in Illinois.

Katla in Illinois

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Tracey I love the mugs and coasters.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie, Can't believe it is April already.

One of the presents my DD bought me was a food diary :) She said it was for a bit of fun, but I'm quite pleased with it to be honest. I'm hoping it will help me get my eating under control. I prefer seeing thing on paper than on the PC. Interesting to see if I will be able to complete a whole month, you know me, I start things but find it hard to be consistent!

I have exercised at least 5 days a week for the last 12 weeks, but as a physical trainer has told me "you can't exercise away a bad diet"

Tracey the mugs and coasters are cute.

Machka I wanted to be a nursery nurse when I was younger and I did get accepted into a training programme/course but had to live in. It was not something I wanted to do at that time so I ended up going to technical college to do shorthand and typewriting instead. I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had accepted the offer and left home.

Well better get on and exercise, need to finish the week on a high, (exercised 6 days this week, go me!! :D )

Take care and love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Sunday --

Sleep

Gardening - I attacked the carnations, or more specifically, the ground under the carnations to get rid of weeds and rocks.

Laundry

Cycling
    jd2r5c92gybe.png

3n3p8d5bh743.png
    https://actionforhappiness.org/sites/default/files/Apr 2023.jpg

You betcha!!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    lbqkjxqemulp.png
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well, things turned out well, though not at all as envisaged! The group, of three, DSIL, her boyfriend, and niece K , all turned up at 10.30 and rang the doorbell. Lovely to see them, especially K. <3 They had a toilet stop and I made them all a hot drink. Nice chat and I downloaded a tracker app for M, which is not working! They all, including DH have gone off to watch the leaders of the race. I am at home and will go down after 1pm to catch M. Shame about the tracker!
    I have to eat at regular intervals and don't fancy standing around in the cold for hours. I've told K that I have food for three of them. But not enough for M's wife and children and M's friend! The chances of DH actually getting a guy type meet up, that he was hoping for, seem to be vanishingly small. I knew that would happen. ;) Oh well,he has plenty of company. :D<3
    I might wander down to the finish, which is just outside my son's apartment. I will have time after M passes by for the second time as their route is very bendy!
    DH has just come back, so we will have lunch.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • myvt9v4crh
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’m waking up to a sunny morning and looking forward to my first cup of coffee of the day. It looks like a sunny Sunday. 🌞

Katla in Illinois
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake and Alfie is curled up under the covers just where he likes to be lol
    Going to get bills paid today and get some stuff picked up for Dan to throw out.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Morning, Ladies. Just finished breakfast and relaxing over my second cup of coffee. Days are getting nicer and nicer. Still lots of snow but it is slowly going. Allergies act up a little this time of year from snow mold so will be glad when all the melting is done. Quiet day today. Busy making cabbage rolls yesterday to serve for our Easter gathering. Nice big casserole cooked and now in the freezer. Snitched a few to go with our supper last night and they were pretty tasty so happy with that. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

Joy
  • myvt9v4crh
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I had a delicious breakfast but it was way to rich for my digestive system. 😳 I visited DH for a bit & am back in my place.

The sun is shining & that lifts my spirits. ☀️

Katla
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Annie - sounds like things are A-OK with the roofers. The fact that they don't require an up front deposit they can abscond with is a good sign they aren't scammers. One thing I like about FB is that on the local groups, if someone has a bad experience with a contractor, it gets posted. There are many things I don't like about FB but this is a plus.

I agree, that "Wendie" plan does sound a little like intermittent fasting.

About fasting & eating breakfast & three meals a day.....

I went down another fasting rabbit hole yesterday. Dr. Valter Longo, who was featured with Dr. Michael Mosley in the Eat, Fast and Live Longer BBC documentary, is saying in recent interviews that according to his research, a person should never skip breakfast. Folks who skip breakfast don't live as long as folks who skip dinner (supper) when fasting. (He does get kind of wiggly and says part of this may be due to genetics - some people are just programmed to live longer no matter how they eat.) Longo also advises seniors not to fast longer than 12 hours.

I ran across others who said similar, even Dr. Jason Fung, who admits skipping supper is not practical however, and he personally skips breakfast - doesn't eat until late morning. His push is for the insulin drop to mediate insulin resistance and healing by eating in a smaller window.

My parents and grandparents always ate breakfast. Three meals a day, hardly ever snacking as I recall.
    Farmers needed energy to get going in the morning, and they were hungry when they first got up. As I've mentioned, females in my family gained weight around the middle as they aged, but it didn't seem detrimental as they lived into their late 80's - mid 90's. They ate a lot of dairy, meat and eggs since those foods were readily available = mega protein.

I had a pretty high protein supper yesterday, stopped eating at 4 and was fine - no hunger during the night. Got up at 4 this morning and by 5, I was hungry and ready for breakfast. So 13 hours "fasting". I managed about 20 gm of protein.

I'm curious - as a general rule, do you ladies eat breakfast? Three meals a day? Which meal is your biggest - lunch? supper? In whatever schedule you are using, are you dropping the weight you want to? Happily maintaining whatever weight you feel best at (or within that pesky 5 lbs?) :D If you are doing time restricted eating, do you find skipping breakfast or skipping supper works better?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate home grown herbs and veggies.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15-(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 1/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min -2x a day start April 1 2/60
    Arm weights twice a week /10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 1/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 0/2 —(100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 16/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)26/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 12/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water.
    5. Tureen a regular activity into a playful game today.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Annie - sounds like things are A-OK with the roofers. The fact that they don't require an up front deposit they can abscond with is a good sign they aren't scammers. One thing I like about FB is that on the local groups, if someone has a bad experience with a contractor, it gets posted. There are many things I don't like about FB but this is a plus.

I agree, that "Wendie" plan does sound a little like intermittent fasting.

About fasting & eating breakfast & three meals a day.....

I went down another fasting rabbit hole yesterday. Dr. Valter Longo, who was featured with Dr. Michael Mosley in the Eat, Fast and Live Longer BBC documentary, is saying in recent interviews that according to his research, a person should never skip breakfast. Folks who skip breakfast don't live as long as folks who skip dinner (supper) when fasting. (He does get kind of wiggly and says part of this may be due to genetics - some people are just programmed to live longer no matter how they eat.) Longo also advises seniors not to fast longer than 12 hours.

I ran across others who said similar, even Dr. Jason Fung, who admits skipping supper is not practical however, and he personally skips breakfast - doesn't eat until late morning. His push is for the insulin drop to mediate insulin resistance and healing by eating in a smaller window.

My parents and grandparents always ate breakfast. Three meals a day, hardly ever snacking as I recall.
    Farmers needed energy to get going in the morning, and they were hungry when they first got up. As I've mentioned, females in my family gained weight around the middle as they aged, but it didn't seem detrimental as they lived into their late 80's - mid 90's. They ate a lot of dairy, meat and eggs since those foods were readily available = mega protein.

I had a pretty high protein supper yesterday, stopped eating at 4 and was fine - no hunger during the night. Got up at 4 this morning and by 5, I was hungry and ready for breakfast. So 13 hours "fasting". I managed about 20 gm of protein.

I'm curious - as a general rule, do you ladies eat breakfast? Three meals a day? Which meal is your biggest - lunch? supper? In whatever schedule you are using, are you dropping the weight you want to? Happily maintaining whatever weight you feel best at (or within that pesky 5 lbs?) :D If you are doing time restricted eating, do you find skipping breakfast or skipping supper works better?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I rarely eat breakfast and haven't for decades. The last time I remember eating breakfast regularly was probably in my late teens.

I have been slim and fit most of my life.

I had gained a bit of weight putting me into the overweight range by the end of 2014. In early 2015, I joined MFP and lost 25 kg that year ... and rarely ate breakfast as usual.

I kept the weight off till about mid-2018 after my husband's accident.

I am simply not at all hungry in the morning. It is very rare that I eat before 11 am and usually only when I have an early bicycle ride.

Also, on the occasions when I have eaten breakfast it's like a switch is turned on and I am starving hungry all day. I am significantly less hungry when I don't eat breakfast.

I eat 2 meals a day. Dinner is a bit larger than lunch.

M in Oz