WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My dry stream ... and part of our yard. 🙂
    I've seen dry streams in pictures and wondered if I could create something like it. About halfway through, I wondered if I had taken on too much. But now that it's done (except for the spring planting), I love it!
    I will have to get some photos when it has been raining ... the water really brings out the colour of the rocks. :smile:

343hiy0qw44s.png
    rxlbk6v8yjfc.png
    zm0gxdurmxxq.png

Now I'm working on another long garden bed full of weeds ... with hydrangeas at one end and carnations at the other. Which reminds me, I need to look up carnations to see when the best time to plant some more is.

In the rest of the bed, I want to remove the weeds (not easy) and plant a couple more hydrangeas. Then the rest of the bed will be Australian natives.

Machka in Oz

________

The dry stream is fabulous, Machka. Well done!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Machka - service and labour jobs are like that in Canada. Business reduced hours due to lack of staff. So they say, but I hear a lot of people looking for work. Personally, I am looking for administrative with a similar wage and those are not as available right now.
    Your stream is beautiful.

Carol - prayers for your brother.

Annie - congratulations!

Michele - here in Canada unemployment benefits ended at the beginning of 2021. A lot of people in the lower paid industries went back to school during the shutdown. They had time to do it since they didn’t have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet. Those people are now filling jobs where several also retired early. I think I heard these numbers for both groups were in the millions.

Flea - I agree it angers me that people think that people sit on their butts and don’t want to work. In my opinion, people want to be paid a fair wage and have some flexibility with their schedules. They have learned that their life should be more than work. I wish our generation would have been taught that.
    My daughter has been looking for a job since last July. She can only work weekends, Monday and every other Tuesday. No one will hire her. She still has children that need to be taken care of, if they had to pay daycare she might as well not work as it would be more than she makes.

I went to Calgary with our eldest today. We met at 715 and she dropped me at my car at 400. 6 hours and a bit of that we’re driving. She had 2 hours on top of that. She goes back next Tuesday for her next appointment. Her DH should be able to go with her for that one. If not, I have agreed to go again. It’s a long drive for someone with that much on their minds and being pumped full of hormones to boot.

We’re all praying that this is successful

Tracey in Edmonton

Here, there are job ads that result in 0 applicants. I could have walked into 2 or 3 positions recently if I had applied because I would have been the only applicant. In one case, a friend of mine suggested several times that I should apply, and the deadline for applications was extended a couple times, but I just wasn't that interested in that particular area of work.

After COVID it became like a game of musical chairs here with lots of people reducing their hours, a few people increasing their hours, and quite a few shifting into a different area, doing secondments and all sorts. I reduced my hours and have been in 4 jobs in the past 16 months - term positions, secondments etc.

If I were actively looking I would throw my application into any job that interested me, even if I didn't feel fully qualified.

Also, set yourself up in LinkedIn. I've been "head-hunted" through that, for a real position (I checked) but I would have lost my long service leave so I didn't go for it.

Has your daughter tried Northern Reflections? Nice place to work and years ago they were happy with weekends and one other day of the week.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Heckuva thunder and lightning storm this afternoon. Dogs tried to bark the thunder away at first, but then settled down (thank goodness). Joe suggested I might want to turn off the TV for fear it would draw the lightning. Is that true or an urban myth?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

TV won't draw the lightning ... but lightning could destroy the TV.

If you have a TV antenna, it could be an attractive place for the lightning to strike because it's tall and metal.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. Yes!
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Yes!
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. Yes! I can garden, which requires all sorts of body motion, and cycle.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yes! Ate my usual food and drank lots of water up till about 8 pm. We won't talk about what happened after that.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Hmmm ... Walking around the shops? Climbing stairs?
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. Achy.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening.
    There isn't much light early in the day here. Plus I was sleeping then. Plus it was cloudy, drizzly and rainy all day.
    But I do dim the lights in the evening. It's one of many steps I take to wind down in the evenings to prepare myself for the night.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    I rarely laugh. Most things don't strike me funny.
    Lots of things amuse me, but not enough for laughter.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    I often do, but as today's work involved sitting at 2 computers, I walked on the treadmill during a break instead.
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    Unfortunately, today was another day sitting at 2 computers.
    But I did go downstairs to row and lift weights.
    Hoping the rain will let up soon!!! It's been 4 days already!
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    One of my more favourite areas!! :)
    We aim to cycle at least one 50 km ride each month and have been doing that for a while. :) At our AGM at the end of March, we got a bag full of these each. :)
    c9d65r471d9g.png
    We will have to see when we can fit our April ride in ... the 5 days off over Easter would have been good but it rained and rained and was cold and windy. Snow at higher elevations.
    Maybe next weekend ... we'll see.
    AND ... one of the bigger running events moved their event to September which is fantastic for me. Originally, it was this month, but I was nowhere near ready to even sign up for the 5K. Now I've got the winter to get in shape. :)
    Also, now that I'm working back in the same building I was in about 16 months ago, with many of the same people, we've started our stair climbing challenge again. We are easing into it this month because of Easter and ANZAC Day but we'll be ready to be much more consistent in May.
    The stair climbing challenge is exciting because when I'm busy climbing 20+ flights of 20 stairs each day I am at work, I lose weight.
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    Absolutely! I climbed stairs. :)
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    I do when I have to work the next day ... make sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep.
    But I am not keen on that. I'm a night owl and like to get things done late at night. Having to be in bed by 11:45 pm is a bit uncomfortably early.
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    Gardening ... will gardening do?

15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)

I sing every day. My husband is very polite about it. :)

16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things

I've spent 5 years on our island.
    I've done a lot of local exploring!
    I think exploring locally is a great idea and some people don't do enough of it. However, I'm getting more and more restless to go somewhere else as the weeks go by.

17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    I usually do this on the weekend when there's daylight.
    However, I occasionally do some weeding in the pitch dark when I walk Rhody right after work.

18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    Hmmmmmmm ... not that keen on online exercise, aside from Zwift.
    However, I have started a stair climbing challenge at work, and we keep track of it on an Excel spreadsheet. :)
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    37. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    38. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    39. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    40. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    41. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    42. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    43. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    44. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    45. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka-I love your dry stream. I wish I had the ambition to do something like that.

Tina in CA

Thank you, and thank you all. :)

It took me a long time because I hand dug it with a garden trowel - 10 metres (33 ft) long and about half a metre (1.6 ft) wide. I did that because I knew the ground was rocky and I wanted to use those rocks.

Also, I was working around what I had planted the year before - I didn't want to dig it all up, it was blooming so well. :)

And we had all sorts of rain through the late winter, spring, and early summer which really slowed me down.

But if I weren't concerned about "harvesting" the rocks and didn't care about the plants, I would have used a full-sized shovel and it would have taken me a lot less time.

After doing the digging, the rest of it came together quite quickly. :)

When I did a bit of research of how to do it, several sites suggested getting in a motorised digging machine of some sort, and they would have had the digging done in a couple hours!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Hi everyone, new here. Not new to MFP but new to this thread. I'm not sure what the topic is but I like the title. I'm 56 and forever on a trying to get rid of this weight. I've been doing keto/low carb for a few years now but not consistently. I've decided to focus more on getting good proteins in each meal verses giving up certain foods.

Daily protein goal is 100. Today I am at 90 so I'm happy about that!

The topic is pretty much everything here in one way or another ... :smiley:

47s06pcoq6ig.png

Machka in Oz

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Karen we went on our food tour today and we had some very interesting entree’s. A couple of them were featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!
    ct5ogyg6add9.jpeg
    vn1g1lwd6uxr.jpeg
    0z7atrx8tn88.jpeg
    y8tv3ae80spc.jpeg
    ckxj543qleuh.jpeg
    wqp7luz1meu0.jpeg
    3h92xydgowav.jpeg
    0yhbeiddfd1d.jpeg
    3l53qmybc3r5.jpeg

1. Alligator sausage on a Hawaiian bun with craw fish etouffee
    2. Fried pickles
    3. S’more brownie.
    4. Lemon eclair
    5. Crab beignet
    6. Char boiled oyster with butter, garlic, Parmesan, and pecorino cheese
    7. Guy from diners, drive-ins, and dives.
    8. Eggplant Parmesan with fried shrimp and crawfish etouffee
    9. Beef, debris Poboy.

We walked over 6 miles on our food tour, mostly to and from. We ended up having a private tour because the other people that were scheduled did not make it to town on time. So we had a very interesting talk with our tour guide!! I definitely would go on another food tour in the future!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Mary, that sounds like so much fun. That is something dh would actually enjoy doing. We have been to a few places Guy has been to.
    He lives in the area here, his son goes to the high school my best friends daughters went to. He does a lot of charity work around here.

It was a lot of fun! I bet you and your husband would enjoy it! Guy does dictate where we eat once in a while as well! Whenever we go into a town, we do look up diners, drive-ins, and dives! Interesting about his son in your friends daughters school!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Machka9
    Options
    I need to get moving!!

iizabv7p4fcu.png

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Annie and Tracey if I were a hiring committee I would want either one of you on my team. Tracey good luck in your job search.

Carol hugs and prayers for your brother and for you and all who love him.

Flea and Tina, love the information about your cars and I thought all electric cars including Hybrids were problematic to charge. It will be interesting to hear what vehicle Barbie and her husband decide on after their research.

Betsy in NW WA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    Options
    Had my bloods done this morning for my op on Thursday.

Tracey: hope it all goes well for your daughter.
    Machka: That dry stream has turned out really well. I’m very impressed.

Intentions for April:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end of the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development
    Intentions for today completed
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍blood work
    📍start packing for hospital

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Carol - Sending my very best wishes for your brother. So hard for all the family. <3

I am feeling so much better today! Felt 'off' since Friday, with awful stiffness, aches and pains, deafness, and slight dizziness. But today we both woke up feeling our old selves. I was beginning to think it was permanent! :o
    Exercised, then wrote 500+ words and washed my hair. My old friend A phoned, so we had a good chat.

I'm currently writing about a personal development course that I attended and worked for over four years, 1990 - 94. In my mind I'd kind of dismissed it as not so important in my recovery from childhood trauma, but now I am thinking about it, I'm realising how much I did learn and how much it did for me. It helped me to be so much more courageous in going for what I want, and stepping out of my comfort zone. I saw how the limitations we put on ourselves are just that - self-imposed. We are capable of so much more than we think.

Off to pick up Bea from school this afternoon. :p

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It helped me to be so much more courageous in going for what I want, and stepping out of my comfort zone. I saw how the limitations we put on ourselves are just that - self-imposed. We are capable of so much more than we think.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I don't recall having much of an issue with stepping out of my comfort zone ... so much so that I can't think what a "comfort zone" would look like for me.

I'm almost always somewhat uncomfortable ... and dealing with new challenges and problems, gaining new skills and experience, and learning (see the image I posted a couple days ago).
    I've been a perpetual student. I've had all sorts of different jobs. I've lived in many different places ... some quite "interesting" places. I've travelled, including 2 long trips mainly by bicycle (3 months & 8 months). More recently, I've been dealing with new challenges and problems in the world of brain injury.

I have moments where I feel comfortable, but there's always something lurking ... a challenge, a problem, a new experience ...

Having said that, one of the things that really made me realise that any limitations are self-imposed and we are capable of so much more than we think when I started randonneuring ... audax ... ultra-distance cycling.

In 2001, I was looking for a new challenge. I had been doing the recreational cycling thing and had increased my distances quite a bit. I was commuting to work by bicycle. I had joined a racing team and raced with that team for a couple years, then raced independently the third year. But I wanted something else.

Years earlier I had cut out an article about randonneuring, so during the early spring of 2001, I went to my filing system, located that article, and called the number. Amazingly, it was still the correct number and that April, I cycled my first 200 km randonneuring event. I had cycled 200 km in one go before, but this was a timed event - I had 13.5 hours to complete the distance, including all breaks. I figured if it went well, I would try the 300 km with a time limit of 20 hours, including all breaks. 2 weeks later, I rode that 300 km event. I figured if it went well, I would ride the next one in the list, a 400 km with a 27 hour time limit. I did. And I figure if the 400 went well, I would ride the 600 km with a 40 hour time limit. And I did.

That winter, I burned my left foot to the bone which stopped me in my tracks for a couple months. But the first shoe I tried to wear was my cycling shoe! By spring, I was ready and did the 200 km, 300 km, 400 km and 600 km set again ... then in July, I cycled my first 1200 km, with a 90 hour time limit, including all breaks.

I completed four 1200 km events and one 1000 km event (plus a whole bunch of 200 km, 300 km, 400 km and 600 km events) over the next few years, and met my husband on one of the 1200 km events - in France.

But in doing that, I realised that limitations are self-imposed and we are capable of so much more than we think. I'm not overly athletic ... I'm just stubborn and persistent, and I like a challenge. :grin:

These days, my challenges are a bit different ... but I'm still stubborn and persistent. :grin:

If you really want to do something, jump in and give it a go. You may discover it's not for you, which is completely all right, or you may discover you are more capable than you thought. 😀

Machka in Oz

PS. One day, I should write a book called "Out of My Comfort Zone" 😀
    Or maybe "Seeking My Comfort Zone" 😀
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    (((Carol)))
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate having friends from all over the world.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 17/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 23/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 16/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 4/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 3/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 28/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 15/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for prayers for my brother!

Machka ~ Your dry stream is beautiful! I love the colors of the rock in the sunshine.

Tracey ~ I really hope you will find a job that you love and be around people who make you feel comfortable.

Debbie ~ Fingers crossed and prayers for the safe return of your husband's friend.

Mary ~ I have never been to New Orleans but the photos look yummy!

I am far behind reading so good wishes to you all who need them.

Carol in GA