WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate sleeping in today.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 18/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 24/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 16/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 4/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 3/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 2/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491,10170, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 28/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 18/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 16/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today. Did not have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often. After the last 2 days, this is a welcome change!
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today. I did that on Tuesday but will try again today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day. Ahhhhh
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    B)

Katla
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Debbie ~ My husband is a food/supplies hoarder. I think it all started with the toilet paper shortage at the start of the Pandemic. Now, we have large quantities of canned goods, dried goods, toiletries, water, etc. I am more of the notion to keep the freezer loaded with main coarse foods that I know I will use and buy again as they come on sale. I guess neither of us is totally right in our thinking, but, I do get tired of being told to buy things we really don't need.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day... done!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Terri - wishing you a quick recovery.

Cloudy but slightly warmer here today. Got Rx for cat and groceries this morning. Going to try to finish up baby blanket I am crocheting this weekend. Need to start on a new one for my great niece who will be having a baby soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    I walked 2 miles on the treadmill today and attended an exercise class. Then I spent several hours looking at different summer festivals and music concerts. I am craving hearing some live music. I think the last time was May 2018. I looked in Atlanta, Athens GA and Asheville NC. I am hoping my son and daughter in law will go to a concert with me.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

My husband and I went to symphonies until the pandemic shut things down. Unfortunately, when they symphonies started up again, they've doubled and in some cases, tripled their prices!! Even the subscription packages are expensive. :(

Where we used to go about 4-6 times a year, now we might save up for 1 occasion.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Well i took a little nap this afternoon for maybe 1/2 hr but now can't sleep.. my mind is flitting all over the place sheesh .
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - Your communication style here shows a lot of the constructions of someone on the spectrum, so I've always been pretty sure that you are neurodivergent (I love that word). I think it's a wonderful thing that you're aware of it. While it can come across as blunt to the neurotypical, it's always honest, and I appreciate that enormously. You are never wishy-washy, dear heart, and I'm glad you're here. I hope this group is of benefit to you.

And while Maté's got some interesting points, in all honesty, who's NOT under chronic stress any more? Stress is the human condition these days, and pointing out that it exacerbates inflammation is kind of belaboring the obvious. While you may not participate in the over-empathic, hyper-responsible, repressions of the neurotypical, it just means (to me) that you deal with the same stressors in different ways. You're as subject to the same stresses, but you add onto that a world not really constructed to deal with the way you communicate or operate. There is massive stress wrapped up in that--and while you may be able to express yourself in ways the emotionally repressed cannot, it doesn't make it go away.

Interesting.
    Love,
    Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. :heart:

And what you say is probably why I feel out of my comfort zone most of the time!

M in Oz

I remember, when I was in my late-teens, early-20s, asking my mother how to do "small talk". I'd end up in social situations and not have a thing to say.
    She told me two things:
    1. Watch what your father does. My father is like me, but he developed coping mechanisms.
    2. She gave me some tips ... comment on the weather or the event or something and ask questions, get the other person talking.

That was probably an indication of being neurodivergent. :)

I also ...
    - prefer being alone
    - don't like being touched
    - don't like it if someone touches or moves my stuff
    - struggle with eye contact
    - love detail-oriented work
    - have no close friends
    - have anxiety in social situations
    - am blunt
    - dislike noise
    - dislike places with lots of people
    - want to stop talking to people as soon as I have the information I need
    - hate talking on the phone
    - dislike textures against my skin
    - dislike getting my hands dirty or sticky or covered in lotion
    - like or dislike food based on texture first
    - am not overly coordinated

It's probably a good thing I've ended up working with data and databases. :)

And I know I prefer non-team "sports" like cycling, walking, running, hiking, etc.

Interestingly, when I first started gardening, just a few years ago, I did not like getting my hands dirty and touching the soil. Then I discovered, I actually like the texture of the soil, so it's OK. My I have to wash my hands thoroughly as soon as I come inside. And lotion is still not OK.

DH'S elder daughter us on the spectrum and was only diagnosed at over 50. Things like public transport, noisy offices, are very stressful to her. Now she lives in a village in the South of France and works on a London company's IT from home. She loves her life.

I LOVED working from home during the main shutdown and occasionally after.

I am hoping I might be able to do that from time to time where I am now. We've all got laptops, which we didn't have before, so the potential is definitely there. :)

I've also found going to a 9-day fortnight is very good. It takes the pressure off somewhat. One day, I'd like to go to a 4-day week, but that might not happen for a little while.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    aundy28570 wrote: »
    How do you stay on track when the my husband fixes breakfast in bed and home made strawberry cake with the strawberries the grandkids picked up. Today I'm 56 and have been a lil spoiled, well alot. It's so hard to have the motivation I need. Oh well, guess I can start another day.

Happy Birthday!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3