• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,125 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Tracey it’s 72 hours without written permission. We gave her permission to have her parents stay 2 weeks at Christmas. We would have given her permission for just her niece if she would have asked. We think she didn’t ask because she had the dog so instead of asking she hid it from us and when she found out that we were coming home she was caught and told us that they were there. We told her it needed to be boarded elsewhere. We would have let her niece stay. We just informed her that she violated the lease by not asking. She then became defensive and rude towards me. The reason there is a 72 hour limit is because it costs us more money. We paid double the water bill when her parents stayed. Even this month we will be paying more because of her niece staying. We also are responsible for the liability insurance and if something happens to them we would have to pay. We will probably add a clause that if we give permission for guests to stay longer than 72 hours it will be an extra $50- per person per day. Then we will increase our liability coverage. That is how our old rental manager does it for his rentals. We live in a resort town and sometimes people take advantage of the rental properties and have guests. We can’t be sure that she isn’t renting out rooms during special events. This has happened to other landlords. Especially during some events like Moondance Jam, resorts charge $400 - $500 a night. Her niece was here during Fishing Opener which is also a very expensive long weekend. The week before starting on Wednesday and usually going through Monday or Tuesday. Probably a minimum of $300 a night for the first two people and extra $100 per person per night. Some condos and cabins are for 2-10 people. Everything is usually sold out because of repeat guests. We have been asked more than once by different resorts if we would consider being there overflow and rent out rooms or our cabin. We have a 4 bedroom house. We live in Walker by Leach Lake supposedly the best Walleye fishing lake in Minnesota. Our property is located where two of the best bike and horseback riding trails in Minnesota intersect you can go over 100 miles on them and in the winter time it is a snow mobile trail. Starting this summer we were going to have her rent out our tiny house for up to $2,000 a week but now that won’t happen.

💕Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,187 Member
    Options
    My back played me up yesterday, so I didn’t go to Monday Painters. I put my heat pad on it and it seems much better this morning so will go to Craft after breakfast

We bought some plants for our summer containers yesterday. Was disappointed with the choices available. It’s very complicated, to do with Brexit. Mainland suppliers don’t want to be bothered doing the extra paperwork involved to supply to Northern Ireland, even though we are part of the UK.

Tracey: Hooray for DH building your storage shed for you.

(((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 to those who need them

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,919 Member
    Options
    My back played me up yesterday, so I didn’t go to Monday Painters. I put my heat pad on it and it seems much better this morning so will go to Craft after breakfast

We bought some plants for our summer containers yesterday. Was disappointed with the choices available. It’s very complicated, to do with Brexit. Mainland suppliers don’t want to be bothered doing the extra paperwork involved to supply to Northern Ireland, even though we are part of the UK.

Tracey: Hooray for DH building your storage shed for you.

(((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 to those who need them

☘️ Terri

Supplies of various sorts (food, garden, etc.) are really hit or miss here too ... having to do with where Australia gets stuff from and the fact that this state, Tasmania, is a little island off the big island.

That's one of the reason our grocery prices are high. Our selection is also low.

And with plants, we've wanted specific ones but haven't been able to get them.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Heather -- regarding lunch after my incident. The cancer diagnosis has taken so much from me. I was on track to become a provost, but I had to give that up, and even step back, because I can't work 60 hours a week. I can barely manage 40. This fact tears me up and can send me into a crying jag if I dwell on it too much. So I will for d@mn sure not miss anything else, if I can help it. Besides, I was not feeling well after so much blood loss, so I had a cuban on gf bun. Lisa approved! It's like a week's worth of protein in one sandwich. All pork though.

I felt much better after eating lunch.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

I'm so sorry!

M in Oz
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Exactly Mary. So now not only is it lost income, it's lost POTENTIAL income and renovation for what she's cost you. Aside from what it would cost you to take her to court, I'd love it if you could get rid of her, but I would worry about what kind of retaliation she might try to take too. I've heard other horror stories like Debbie's.

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,935 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    <3 Carol in GA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,498 Member
    Options
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about. Council discussion on furnace replacement.
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of. Not putting Joe down, not giving up on Dixie, fire district and church council terms.
    Debbie for me no holiday table was complete without a dish of pickled watermelon rinds on the table, but okra? :noway: :laugh:
    Lanette “not able to have Word and Excel resident on the machines, everything is in the cloud at a price. Bugger that. I want to keep my stuff local.” Amen, sister, amen! :Love: your peace movement memories. Marched a few times myself, but then it was 1969 Berkeley . . .
    Annie, likewise I made too many poor choices Monday. Here’s to better choices today and beyond!
    Flea “…meeting a colleague for lunch and didn’t want to cancel... cleaned up well enough.” You are made of stern stuff! Bravissima. I’ve also been missing Kylial
    @kymarai thanks for mentioning her.
    Machka love your wedding story. . .except the food poisoning part. Thanks for the reassurance that we are able to store our files locally with Office 365. If we stop paying the subscription, how can we open them?
    Katla sorry to hear your bed makes your back hurt. Hope you can get a different one soon!
    Lisa “… honestly the first thing I've ever eaten where I'll actually eat a whole piece of tomato- . . . “ :noway:
    Heather 300 words? Bravissima!
    Mary don’t know about the law in MN, but I wouldn’t want to continue to rent to a tenant who demonstrated disregard for the terms of her employment contract and lease.
    Pip Chispa is chic in her new vest. Does it help to keep her cool?
    Rita good advice about the written copies.
    Vicki the department will be empty if you collapse from overwork, just sayin’. Know you are in a tough place, out of your control, but please squeak squeak squeak to your management and document everything. Yours to Mary, in spades.
    Allie sounds like great opportunity for Myles.
    Rebecca that Athena is a real heart-melter.
    Ginny yours to Flea.
    Tracey “…today he built it for me…” Well done Rodger!
    Betsy hooray for husbands of friends with mechanic friends and the grit to confront the service manager. Hip hip hooray!
    Today I hope to get out into the yard before the wind kicks up. But if I don’t there’s always the chaos pile ;)
    05/22: Move: 2 sets PT w/d&a, Cape Sebastian + Buffington Park chilly strolls. steps:5251
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 11 =almonds, cashews, garbanzo beans, peanuts, pineapple, potato chips, radishes, romaine, tea-black/green, walnuts, wheat-biscotti/clif bar/cookies CI=1848! :[ CO=184
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, Tumble well pet, call CCEC re: high bill, call Spectrum re: new rate not on bill. Wt: 135.8 :[
    05/21: Move: 0 sets PT, dogs to powerline, steps:7187
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 7+9+8+6+1+4+2=37 apple, basil, beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, coconut, cranberries, cucumber, garbanzo beans, hummus, kombucha, maple syrup, oat bran, onion soup/dip, peanuts, pecans, pepperoncini, peppers sweet-orange/red/yellow, pickle, pineapple, pomegranate juice, potatoes-steak fries/chips, radishes, raisins, rice-brown, romaine, scallions, snap peas, snow peas, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, walnuts, wheat-biscotti/bun/ramen/sourdough/cookies/rigatoni/thins. CI=1454 CO=467
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, fellowship prep, church, council meeting, laundry, AF. Wt: 135.8 :P

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. May: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka love your wedding story. . .except the food poisoning part. Thanks for the reassurance that we are able to store our files locally with Office 365. If we stop paying the subscription, how can we open them?

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. May: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Your files are not Excel or Word, they are spreadsheets and documents.

Excel or Word are just tools used to open and work with spreadsheets and documents ... and there are a number of different tools that can open spreadsheets and documents.

Open Office has been mentioned here ... that's one.

Google Docs is another option.

LibreOffice could work.

If you do a Google search on "what software can open spreadsheets", you'll see a number of choices. Same for documents.

So ... the tools called Excel and Word are subscription tools. We rent the tools to do the job of opening our spreadsheets and documents like we would rent a carpet steam cleaner or a rototiller in the garden.

But our spreadsheets and documents are ours and we can save them wherever we want, and use whatever tools we want to open them. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    In addition to my comments above, I will sometimes use free products like notepad++ (not the notepad that comes with your computer) to work with spreadsheets saved as csvs (.csv) and I am pretty sure .Xlsx files can be opened with notepad++ although it won't look like it does in Excel. It'll be comma delimited rather than gridlines.

If you're running Windows 10 or higher, check your Microsoft Store. Start menu, All apps, and scroll down to Microsoft Store. Look for free spreadsheet software with a good rating.

M in Oz
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies for your response to my dilemma. It even got worse today.
    We have been using a text thread for communication. She requested that we didn’t send texts during her working hours 8am- 4:30pm that also includes Saturday and some evenings. I suggested that she turn off the notifications for the thread and read them during her breaks or after work. She said that it’s her personal phone and she pays for it and respect her wishes. I told her that she needs to respect us as her landlords and our work hours are between 8am and 4pm. If there is an issue we will address it during our workday. I also reminded her that we talked about this thread as the way we would communicate prior to hiring her. I reminded her that we set the thread up with the before pictures, copy of the lease and the link to The Department of Minnesota Renters Rights and Landlord Responsibilities. I also reminded her that we have been using this thread for the last 9 months.

She also decided not to bag and dispose of the yard debris because she was out to dinner. Even though she agreed to do it because John is supposed to fertilize tomorrow and we will be leaving for our resort on Wednesday. It only costs $75 to go to conciliation court for an eviction.

My husband talked me into waiting until the first to see if she pays the full amount of rent.

💕Mary from Minnesota/Arizona

I think I changed my mind on this one, Mary. I would take her to court immediately. The cost of $75 would be well spent. I think you are going to have problems with this nightmare no matter what you do. You might as well try and get rid of her now instead of waiting 3 months. Her being rude to you on top of everything else is simply not acceptable. Wish you all the best going forward.

Joy
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. Finally got some much needed rain last night. Ended up with 1/2 inch. As for the wildfires, they are saying the rain hit every area of fires in the province except for the far north. Still smells a bit smoky here but certainly not as bad. I'm sure the rain has not totally put out the fires but has brought them to the point of being more controlled. Slave Lake, Grande Prairie and the Peace region received more substantial rain which is very good news. That is such a heavily forested area and difficult to control. Hopefully firefighters are getting a much needed reprieve.

Off to vote this morning in our advanced polls (provincial election).

Enjoy the day!

Joy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Mary Your story is why I do not rent out our son's house. I have been asked.The neighbor next door wanted her daughter to be able to rent it with a dog. I just ignored the request. Not a good idea. I do not have a usable garage with my property. Neighbors behind me parked an SUV across their garage space. My garage is directly behind theirs so it makes it next to impossible to park my car in my single stall garage. They did this because their garage was broken into. It sat there all winter making it hard for others to pass. I tried for a year to get them to not park like this. It was too hard on me emotionally. This is the home that had the vicious dog and they leave trash over their property. She did thank me for picking it up. If I don't pick it up it blows onto my property. I just concentrate on my gardening over there. The one advantage in having the alley between is their yard is not right on top of my yard and I don't stay the night because I do not have a garage to park my car. I will say hello but the chance to be anything more is past. Oh yes by the way they are renters. So being a landlord no thank you!

It is my paint studio and a place I can grow my veggies because it is fenced in back yard that is difficult to get into I feel safe to grow what I want without fear of my veggies getting feet. It also gives Drew a yard to roam without a leash. It is my cabin in the city.