WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    M in Oz thank you for the free plant identifier.... it worked. I wouldn't have known to press the cancel without your directions. I am so delighted to be able to check out plants as I walk. I used it twice yesterday. Thank you very much. I love your clear explanations and directions. You have a knack with words.

Lanette your mechanic cartoon made me laugh. I like what you did with your fence and the slats. Then when you talked of the wind velocity and your husband knowing all about such things... oh yes, I miss the information that my DH had about so many things. He was interesting and knowledgeable about so much.

Ginny Loved the messages given by the hummingbird. Wonderful!

Tracey Hope your back is better soon... Tylenol 3 doesn't agree with me eith

Michele. Love the surfer .... whether it is a dudette or a dude!! I kind of agree with your husband..I think it is a hippy dude with a flower in his hat. Looks a bit like a professor guy I dated back when.... :-)

Betsy in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake and going to hop in the shower..
    Today is the picnic with friends and watching mr Miles so all should be fun I hope.. will try and get some good pictures..and Tracy hopefully will not have kittens and rush to pick Miles up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight. Hmm…

Woke up with heart pounding from bad dream. Can almost still hear the high winds and feel the frustration arguing with Mama about sheltering the 3 families camping on the lawn. Had to get up and Jeopardy walk to shake it. Dreams? Fooey. Rarely remember the good ‘uns, but the nightmares spill over into the day.

I frequently dream of war these days ... and me being in a war in some way.

auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka con VERY grats on the walking goal and mattock work. Your “Has anyone asked Carmine (quietly and sympathetically) if someone is hurting her?” question stopped me cold. Could be…

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. May: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

It's something I've been thinking for a while ... especially since my recent "Child Safe/Child Safety and Wellbeing" training. :neutral:

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Kelly - well done on the Mucinex! Nasal spray can be very addictive, I've heard.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did part of the kettlebell Core DVD. I have no idea why they say “20 minute workout” when 2 sections were an hour. Then, since it was raining out, I did 2 walking videos to make about 45 minutes. Then went to WalMart

Mary – now I’m thinking twice about telling Jerry that Jessie (his wife) will get everything. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was on medicaid which means that he really doesn’t have any assets. Maybe I’ll still say it to him anyway.

Tracey – congrats on your windfall!

Need to make meatloaves for next week and marinate pork tenderloin for Vince to grill tomorrow. Then I think I’ll start on the x-stitch for the lady who took care of my father. But I’m choosing to be here instead.

Michele NC
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Betsy ~ Hooray for your granddaughter!

obgrsi5eoy1z.png

Heather ~ Your grands must be having a wonderful time in Greece! Thanks for all the cute photos. Also, your art just keeps improving.

Barbara ~ I have a lot of bad dreams! In many I am able to fly...LOL In some I am driving and cannot get my foot on the brake.
    Many are set in the house and yard I grew up in but never in this house or our old house. Others are about students being awful in my classroom.

Carol in GA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    jnp5swmwexxk.jpeg
    My granddaughter is state champion of the 400 meter. Time of 1:01.22! She’s freshman in HS and runs for fun. I’m so proud.

Betsy in NW WA

Woo hoo!! Great accomplishment!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Pip, she looks amazing! Well done.

So sorry about Jerry, Michele. Wow, he's really lucky to be alive. So glad they found him.

Welcome home, Rori. Your trip looked wonderful.

Oh Ginny, I love your signs from hubby. That's so awesome. Freddy and I believe in all of those signs from heaven too. Good luck on your future search.

YAY Annie!

Heather, what's not to love about your experiment?!? I think it's incredible! You're far too critical of your own work. I love that first piece. It's just my style. I love the geraniums too.
    Looks like the family is having a wonderful time. Good for them.

That's fantastic, Betsy. Congrats to her!

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    I know Tracy has slapped her a few times.. but being beaten no ,not that I know of...I don't get to see her alone except when we go for haircuts and that wont be until July 5th.. but I will ask her..
    I am hoping they are having a fun time this weekend..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    2023 Mindful May

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate being able to keep my head in an emergency.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15 100%,100%,80%,73%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 8/31 (84%,86%,94%,93%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1- 0/31 (93%)
    Arm weights twice a week 0/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%)
    Meditation: daily. 13/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%)

Feeling overwhelmed this month. Taking a break from the list above until I feel more in control. I am also having a bursitis/arthritis/tendinitis attach this month. Doctor prescribed something for me to try.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 10818, 8171, 8856,8315, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%—-9,559,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 61/208/ —(100%,100%,100%,50%should be 86 by June1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)40/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4 (100%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 16/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 19/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 )(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200 (100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Do something kind for someone you really care about. I need to think about this and plot! I gave my son a gift card to Netflix. He needed something to make him smile.
    2. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t. I will try. Did this.
    3. Take a step toward an important goal no matter how small. I have to think about this. I did not buy beer today. Working on not enabling my DH.
    4. Send a friend a photo of a time you enjoyed together. DONE!
    5. Let someone know how much they mean to you and why. It’s my brother’s 59’th birthday today. Going to call him. We never really call each other.
    6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful. Will do! And found them all over all day!
    7. Make a list of what matters most to you and why. Did this in my journal.
    8. Set yourself a kindness mission and help others today. Do this every day
    9. What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today. Will try.
    10. Be grateful for the little things, even in difficult times. It is hard right now but trying.
    11. Look around for things that give you a sense of awe and wonder. There is plenty here at the park. Wondering how a cave could turn into a lake.
    12. Listen to a favorite pieces of music and remember what it means to you. I will try to remember to do this. Did not have time.
    13. Find out about the values or traditions of another country. Sounds like fun! I looked up Canada and specialty Quebec where my family originated.
    14. Get outside and notice the beauty in nature. I love doing this!
    15. Do something to contribute to your local community. Helped a homeless man today.
    16. Show your gratitude to people who are helping to make things better. Will watch for this. Did this to school group’s surprise visit to the park.
    17. Find a way to make what you do today meaningful. I try every day by helping people find campsites in emergencies.
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about. To be completed. Did not finish.
    19. Reflect on what makes you feel valued and purposeful. Did a grateful meditation on the Balance app this morning which helped me do this.
    20. Share 3 photos of things you find meaningful or memorable.
    21. Look up at the sky and remember we are a part of something bigger. For sure! I walked the dog at 3AM and looked up at the vast night sky. I was able to see the Milky Way and billions of stars. Awesome view.
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about. To be reviewed
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of.
    24. Make choices that have a positive impact on others today.
    25. Ask someone else what matters most to them and why. Will try to remember. I asked my daughter this.
    26. Remember an event in your life that was really meaningful. I have, a bad one, but a good one right behind it!
    27. Focus on how your actions make a difference to others. This happened yesterday when a camper experienced a medical emergency. I was there to help and comfort the wife and assist with the husband.
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight.
    29. Today do something to car for the natural world.
    30. Share a quote you find inspiring to give others a boost.
    31. Find three reasons to be hopeful about the future.
    RVRita in NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    My first crack at giving chispa aka cheese puff aka cheerio a summer cut. Not bad for a first timer. Saved what would have cost me $61.00 at the local groomers.

zebllmfdldxf.jpeg
    b4apnmzw9ib8.jpeg
    a2mn3ats6n3k.jpeg
    qp0u75yxdbsk.jpeg
    5bx1d972j1cl.jpeg

Phew!! So glad you got chispa out of the vacuum! :p

RVRita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Tracey - I think Rodger is right on the money regarding the fence slats - they don't seem to cut down the wind or speed it up. And yes, I do think the "V" shape channeling the wind has a lot to do with it. I have extra slats I could insert at various intervals that would probably help with the wind - make more of a barrier which is part of the sales pitch, lol. (It's Bernoulli's Principle not Bernoilli's Principle. Too edit the bad spelling from my post from yesterday.)

Katla - I love those thick air mattresses, very comfortable. Hope the next one doesn't lose air. I think Sleep Number must be a type of air-filled mattress.

Betsey - congrats to your granddaughter on that achievement! Very good for being a freshman :)

Ginny - what a lovely story about your DH and the bird. I haven't noticed any specific sign other than seeing something nice in the back yard - a tree, a bush, a bird, and immediately getting a vision of him smiling. What a great feeling.

Pip- I too thought you put Chispa in there and it somehow clipped her. :p I wanted to order one to stick Rosie into! You did a really great job, by the way. Did she behave or was she a struggler?

Weight-watcher stuff (I hope MFP allows this, that's why I'm kind of spelling it differently)-
    With my recent weight gain, I've been thinking about strategies that worked for me in the past. I was always successful with Weight-watchers (W W) when I attended the meetings and had the weekly weigh-ins. I didn't always stay for the meetings, but having to step on a scale in front of someone, have them record it, and often say "good job, you lost this week" or "not a loss this week but overall you are doing great" was a good motivator for me.

I just checked - they don't call them meetings anymore, they are now "Workshops". The price doesn't seem too bad. I used to be a lifetime member, I need to dig out my card and see if I'm within 2 lbs- if they even honor that anymore. I see there is a "workshop" in the next town over that meets at 9:30 on Saturday mornings.

The main reason I left WW was they switched to supporting everything on a smartphone app, and their PC support was clunky. I came over to MFP and this group - very glad I did.

I watched a good Bob & Brad video (starring Brad & Mike) this morning on balance - ankle strengthening, lifting feet, etc. They suggesting stepping sideways and making sure to lift feet. So I stepped sideways down the hall and back in my house. It's a rambler so the hallway is at least 25 feet. I was able to steady myself touching the wall. After 2 times down and back, my outer thigh/hip muscles were tired. That's telling me I need to work on it.

I recall some of the Leslie Sansone step videos have sideways stepping too. I need to cue up some of hers and give her 1 mile workouts a go again. I can't keep up with them like I used to many years ago, but even walking in place does a lot of good.

Make it a wonderful day <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's overcast and chilly this morning.