WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Good evening ladies!

Kim, you made it through! Excellent! Now you can relax a bit.

My old laptop would go dark as soon as I logged in. So it can't be backed up unless I can fix that.

Today I ate 1343 calories. Still too high for me. I broke down and ate evening snacks. I know better! I did my exercise, rode my bike twenty minutes, did an hour of yoga and thirty minutes of aerobic walking. Yay! And it came out to a deficit of 238. Good enough.

Annie in Delaware

You might be able to take it to a shop and have them download the data from the hard drive.

Or you could do that yourself if you are comfortable doing it.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I saw the best most caring side of some of my friends. I also developed a new understanding of the care giving role and how much those folks should be supported. I was asked “what can I do to help” more than once and rarely could come up with anything. The 2 things that helped the most were a friend saying I am out doing errands I will be at these 4 locations do you need anything from there – specific clear and let me mentally go through the list and say yes. Also was the call saying I am bringing you frozen soup, is there anything your mom can’t eat? (we know each other well enough she knew my eating habits) I will do these when it is time for me to offer support.

I was often asked "what can I do to help?" and like you, I rarely could come up with anything.

But when people (occasionally) dropped off food, or gave me a ride home in the evening, it was greatly appreciated.
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Changes-
    I have lost 7lbs, some of it tied to stress, but much of it tied to every meal being home cooked. No pre made anything… and while that is my “normal” what was different is that I only ate 3 meals in 10 weeks that I did not cook. And my Mom doesn’t get enough nutrition via food, so the meals were heavy on veggies, light on carbs and heavy on proteins. She spent some time at every meal making sure that I knew how fat I was so I often left the table hungry. I did get good at fitting in extra veggies to help with the hunger and they were easier to get by my food police mom. Some of this will be hard to maintain, but I will be trying!!!!

I have fit in exercise a lot more in daily things, no loading my arms up when bringing in groceries. 4 bags = 4 trips. Any way I could make an extra trip, bend down an extra time, march in place while waiting, even do wrist circles or other stretches. Standing up with out pulling on something or pushing off of something has become natural.

Smiles,
    Kim in N. California

Well done on the weight loss! :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    To the Ladies in Canada. We are considering a trip to Calgary and Banff. Any recommendations for what areas of the city (near Scotiabank Saddledome preferably) are nice to stay for tourism? Also, any resort recommendations in/near Banff? We will probably stay 4-5 days in Banff and a couple in the city.

Thank you!

Tina in CA about to go east where there is hopefully some much-desired and needed sunshine.

At one time I might have been able to tell you! I've lived in Calgary ... still have friends there ,,, and I have family in Banff. I've spent a lot of time in that area ... but not recently.

I miss it!!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Heather - you are so right. I really need to listen to my body.
    I haven’t checked into it yet, I also think I jumped the gun on looking for work too. I really need this time to just be.

Lisa - I have found sleep very hard for the last few years. I have noticed since I have been in sick leave that my hot flashes have decreased significantly. I was having 12 or more a day and some days now I’m having none, some days 1 or 2.

I am closer to Edmonton so can’t comment much on Calgary. I have heard their zoo is very nice.
    I love Banff though, when we go we just drive and do a lot of the smaller trails. The most amazing place I’ve ever stayed was Num-Ti-Jah Lodge. It was incredibly relaxing, there are no TV’s, no internet, no cell service. It’s amazing what actually shutting off can do for you.

Tracey in Edmonton

I have a lot more hot flashes when I am at work.

You should take a bit of time and go to the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge for a few days now. Shut off and relax. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    90t9v6mz8ybw.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,126 Member
    edited May 2023
    Terri - well said!!! :D We only have one freedom, and that is to choose our attitude. We can't control events, or other people. If we have expectations, they are likely to be disappointed. But we can find joy in the everyday, in the small victories, in the present moment and we can live a life of authenticity and integrity, listening to that inner voice. Sometimes that voice says NO, and sometimes it is a great big YES! On the other side of fear of change lies freedom.

This morning I went out running for the first time since my accident. It was a big step, so I am proud of myself. I was very careful crossing the road! :p I listened carefully to my body and only did just over two miles. I just didn't feel like I wanted to push myself. I could have done more, but I didn't want to. :)
    I then came home, via the deli where I chatted with the owner, and managed to get 500 words written. o:) I am writing about the fear I had when I published my first memoir and how terrified I was of telling my sons about the abuse. It was a huge, scary step for me.

This afternoon I will wash my hair and buy my train ticket for my visit to London tomorrow. I am meeting my friend C, who I haven't seen for nearly 20 years, in the Wolseley for lunch. An adventure! :D I'm a bit trepidacious, but I'm sure it'll be worth the effort (and expense) I also WhatsApped another couple of old friends yesterday, inspired by Dr Chatterjee, who was talking with two researchers into happiness. I've bought their book for my Kindle. Both friends replied at length and one is going to catch up on the phone at the weekend.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning ladies
    Well im at Tracy's, she is just overwhelmed, and snapped at me about finding daycare,that right now she can't handle it..
    She said what we found in Carmines room floored us,soshe wouldn't tell me,but it really shook them.
    So for right now.. everything is on the back burner and poor Miles is feeling all the stress..
  • Machka9
    Morning ladies
    Well im at Tracy's, she is just overwhelmed, and snapped at me about finding daycare,that right now she can't handle it..
    She said what we found in Carmines room floored us,soshe wouldn't tell me,but it really shook them.
    So for right now.. everything is on the back burner and poor Miles is feeling all the stress..

You could probably guess anyway ... likely one of 2 things, maybe 3.

She needs help.

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,126 Member
    Well folks, I went online to book my train tickets for tomorrow and found that they are on strike! I don't know how that info escaped me! Good job I looked and didn't just turn up at the station tomorrow morning. So I've informed my friend and I've cancelled the lunch booking. The restaurant were very nice about it and obviously knew before I even said anything.
    That's the second cancellation for this meet up. :o
    DH'S cricket friend and his wife are taking us out to lunch in Brighton on Friday. They will park here and get the bus in with us. It's to celebrate his 70th. So maybe it's a blessing! I am not personally disappointed, but I had psyched myself up for it. I was just about to wash my hair. :p

DH took the car around the corner for a service this morning. Literally around the corner. He brought the car new 6 years ago and paid upfront for 5 years service. This is the first time he has had to pay for it. He thinks they are very nice and they didn't charge too much for two oil changes. They brought the car back. I suppose a very local firm depends on its local reputation. It's a tiny little place.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,389 Member
    Kim - Ooouuuffff!!!! What a journey! Sending the biggest hugs.
    I think there are different friends for different occasions. Some are practical, some are a listening ear, and others are good time gals. Horses for courses. :p I was of no practical use at all for my friend L when she lost her partner, and had a hip operation, but I was able to listen to her crying down the phone and I know it was a help to her.
    People can only give from the resources they have inside them. I have learnt not even to expect DH to be able to always show up in ways I would like. Some things he just can't emotionally do. Others he is super good at. For others he needs reminding! I think it's good to have a range of friends and not to expect everything from the same person. Why not go out on the town with your avoidant friend! Like in a movie. :p

I hope you get a chance to draw breath and recuperate before some other demand comes up. I agree with Tracey's meme. All we can change is our response to crisis and suffering.
    Much, much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I understand this so much! I too have specific friends and family I open up with problems I'm dealing with. I can just text "sneaker wave" and my eldest sister will call me. She too calls me when she is overwhelmed. I am grateful we have that connection now. 🤗💖👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa