WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,656 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- turned back at 2.5mile mark w/Lucy- 1hr 40min 26sec, 52elev, 2.95ap, 77ahr, 91mhr, 5mi= 475c
    Strava app = 612c
    Jog, no kids- 11.03min, 7elev, 10.33min mi, 144aw, 122ahr, 159mhr, 1.04mi. 131c
    Strava app= 128c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 53.20min, 787elev, 133aw, 16.9amph, 114ahr, 141mhr, 35gear, 15.03mi= 315c
    Strava app = 406c
    Zwift stats- 53.22min, 788elev, 132aw, 54arpm, 16.86arpm, 15mi= 406c

Total cal 921
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Ladies -

I follow Dr. Karen Sullivan, a board certified neuropsychologist, on YouTube. Her channel is called "I Care for your Brain"

This week's video was "The Brain Science of Melatonin". Pretty interesting. I've noticed I tend to go to sleep quickly whether I take melatonin or not these days. This coming week (Tuesday) she's going to go into sleep aids and the brand of melatonin she recommends.

If anyone is interested, here's the link to this past week's video:
    Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I actually do love morning glories, and I know their proclivity to survive pretty much forever and spread their vines as far as they can. The white one is just one plant, and it was here when we got here. I was really ill the day Corey planted the purple ones. I asked him just to put them out in the space where we yanked the muscadine out last year. I had two year-old packets of seed, and wasn't sure they were even viable. He planted all of them, probably 30 seeds all told. Pretty sure they all came up, too... I'll just have to keep up with them. Whee!

Other than the drought times like last year, you can put a stick in the ground here and turn around and you'll see a tree by next week. OK, that's a mild exaggeration, but the soil here is just wildly fertile, warm springs and falls just add to the fertility all year long. Ninety percent of gardening here is trying to calm the plants down enough that they don't take over. :smiley:B)

Just as a for instance, the muscadine vines that we yanked up were overtaking that same space... and I just pulled them up and shoved them into a bare space at the back fence, covered the roots that were left on them with some dirt. This is during the drought, too far away from the house to get water to them, even on the day I transplanted them. They are now growing like mad along that back fence.

I have always had the opposite of a green thumb, I could kill any plant out there just by looking at it sideways. Nice to know I can outgrow it!

Love,
    Lisa
  • LisaInArkansas
    Options
    Margaret - Your hydrangeas are gorgeous! It's one of those flowers that was everywhere when I was growing up, but I don't see as much of now.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Your hydrangeas are gorgeous! It's one of those flowers that was everywhere when I was growing up, but I don't see as much of now.

Yes. I love them, too. My paternal grandmother had the most gorgeous hydrangeas. They remind me of her. Mine are very sad looking. The flowers, apparently, were so brief this spring, I missed them.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Barbie set up this thread to be neutral as far as poitical and religious views go. It is a tenet of this thread and very important to most of us. Those are the rules. If you don't like the rules, go elsewhere to let off steam. It's simple. Those are the rules. The separate discussion group was a different thing and should not be confused. Our peace, and loving community is more important than any personal agenda. We are here to support each other, not to indulge in indignation.

Love Heather UK

Well said Heather.

Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to hearing all about it.

Joy
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    💕
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ Why didn't you post any of your political remarks during the last election?

Carol in GA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,092 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of my sister challenge is going very well! Yay! 😄 I had my 100 calorie portion of chicken sprinkled with garlic powder. Now I can smell my own breath! Lesson learned.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,656 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Mary ~ Why didn't you post any of your political remarks during the last election?

Carol in GA

Because I didn’t make any.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I think that I have heard from several of you saying that every thing that you post is for the public to read. And several of you have cautioned people not to post things that they don’t want others to read.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options

I have one hydrangea and it is the same color- Had two but one didn't survive the winter. This one is doing well. I have to prune back the jasmine as soon as it is done blooming so I can really see the hydrangea.
    Going to try taking some cuttings of a purple one and see if I can get it to grow.
  • LisaInArkansas
    Options
    Ack! Got distracted earlier, and meant to tell y'all the flip side of living here with all the flowers and growing plants. Yesterday morning, I watched a deer and fawn with its baby spots wander through our front yard, and once they left, I drove to our little community store to pick up a few things... Pulled back up under our carport, got out of the car and turned to walk around it, and was face-to-face with a snake, deep gray body with black smudgy markings, probably 4 and 1/2 or 5 feet long.

I froze, but had presence of mind enough to note the rounded head (venomous snakes here tend to have a shovel-shaped or triangular head). It wasn't coiled up or feeling threatened, but was quite interested in me, and started moving toward me. I unfroze and went in the house (OK, I fled into the house) and let my adrenaline subside before I went back out and got my grocery bags. The snake had moved on, thank goodness. The internet tells me it was probably a rat snake, so quite beneficial here in keeping the rodent population under control.

Life in the country is always interesting.

Heather - Thank you so much for your post.

Later y'all,
    Love, Lisa
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Ack! Got distracted earlier, and meant to tell y'all the flip side of living here with all the flowers and growing plants. Yesterday morning, I watched a deer and fawn with its baby spots wander through our front yard, and once they left, I drove to our little community store to pick up a few things... Pulled back up under our carport, got out of the car and turned to walk around it, and was face-to-face with a snake, deep gray body with black smudgy markings, probably 4 and 1/2 or 5 feet long.

I froze, but had presence of mind enough to note the rounded head (venomous snakes here tend to have a shovel-shaped or triangular head). It wasn't coiled up or feeling threatened, but was quite interested in me, and started moving toward me. I unfroze and went in the house (OK, I fled into the house) and let my adrenaline subside before I went back out and got my grocery bags. The snake had moved on, thank goodness. The internet tells me it was probably a rat snake, so quite beneficial here in keeping the rodent population under control.

Life in the country is always interesting.

Heather - Thank you so much for your post.

Later y'all,
    Love, Lisa

Oh, Lisa! I am completely icky about snakes, but you are right, if it was a rat snake, which it sounds like, it is your friend. In Kansas, we had one or two who lived on our property. I stayed away from them as much as I could, and when I saw that they were swallowing something, I quietly thanked them and left them alone.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR