AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Leigh_b,

You sound like you'll be a great addition to this thread. I can really relate to some of what you wrote and am looking forward to seeing your consistency.
    Leigh_b wrote: »
    Which leads me to why I am here. I am hoping that by joining this group and publicly proclaiming the mileage I intend to run it will help me stay accountable to my intentions.

I wouldn't look for inspiration on recovery here, some of these crazies do HM cool downs after a big day. ;) We just privately marvel and do our best to make progress.

Welcome.

@chris_in_cal hahaha crazies! 😂
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Glad your back is better and hope the mouth guard helps your headaches.

Great job on the hill repeats @chris_in_cal !

Nice job on the treadmill run @Scott6255 . I don't know how you have managed to avoid being stung all your life. It would be scary now. You never know if you are allergic until it happens. I hope you don't have to find out.

Welcome @md_long27 . Sounds like a great goal. Have you been running long?

Nice run @Laurz9191 . Funny about the cat. You do see some strange things in LA. Awww. I love that your daughter is learning to be fit at a young age. I hope you all enjoy your hiking adventure.

Nice running @tarun_yadavA . It's surprising how many of my running friends love carrot cake. I am taking the free one to my cousin for his birthday tomorrow. My friend made me one for my birthday or I would be keeping it. :lol:
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Leigh_b! This is a good place to find people to cheer you on and help motivate you to your goal. I am very pro-recovery. I take my recovery days seriously! Sleep is a huge factor for me. I get quite a bit of sleep normally but during marathon training I was sleeping 8-9 hrs a night without fail. What do you do to aid in recovery?

@Scott6255 I have never accidentally do extra mileage on the treadmill. You must have really been into that show!

@AlphaHowls Your nephew is cute and I love the name!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you too @md_long27! Loving seeing all the new faces mid-year!
    I don't know how you have managed to avoid being stung all your life. It would be scary now. You never know if you are allergic until it happens. I hope you don't have to find out.

I have never been stung by a flying insect. I have to specify flying because I did get stung by that scorpion a couple of years ago. At this point I am a little afraid to be stung. What if I'm allergic and have a major reaction miles from my house? One of my brothers has been stung by all the insects. Wasps, bees, hornets, scorpions. If it stings it will find him. I guess he took all of mine too!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    8/1 17.4 miles, Running Partner A
    8/2 17.61 miles, 1920 days on the run, 1102 days HM+ Streak
    8/3 17.17 miles, Crazy Laps! @least 6 miles OTR, Back Spasms, rain/thundestorms = moody
    8/4 17.5 miles, made it home before skies opened up! Back spasms
    8/5 17.46 miles, Running Partner A & E (+1 34 weeks)

Getting ready to save my document and realize I did not put mileage in today.*sighs* I really do not like headaches/jaw pain.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    August 1: Walked 1.00 miles - Ran 1.50 miles
    August 2: Wun 3.00 miles - driveway after mowing my lawn - yellow jacket stings
    August 3: Walk 1.50 miles - Ran 1.00 mile - treadmill
    August 4: Walk 1.00 mile - Ran 6.40 miles - treadmill (birthday run)
    August 5: Walk 2.00 miles - treadmill

17.40/80 mile goal

The plans I had for today didn't pan out. They rarely do. :lol: I was supposed to play tennis at noon, so was going to get in a quick wun before heading out. But one of the ladies hurt her back last night and couldn't play, so we had to cancel. When I found that out this morning, I decided to clean a little house and run on the treadmill later in the day. But, I talked to mom and she was working in the corn today. I talked her into letting me come down to help. We wound up doing all that she could find that was ready today - 162 ears! It's a lot of work, but is so good. I was tired when I got home and we hadn't stopped for lunch, so I had a spoon of peanut butter to tide me over, and went down for a treadmill walk. I did 2 miles at 3.8 mph. My avg HR was 104, with a max of 117 bpm. I probably needed a day to recover from yesterday's long run anyway.

Question: I am having problems getting the charging cable for my Garmin Forerunner 745 to stay in place and charge my watch. It had started a couple weeks ago needing to be fiddled with and left in the "right" place in order to connect well. Today, I can't get it to charge at all - it's too loose. Has anyone else had this issue? I think I am going to buy a replacement cable from Amazon. Has anyone gotten one of those either? Just curious. When I looked on line, it appears this is a common issue.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Scott6255 You did great to get in a HM in that heat!

@AlphaHowls That's a huge difference in the photo's. So cool. What kind of phone/camera do you have? I hope E has a healthy baby. I hope the mouth guard helps your jaw pain.

I'm impressed that you haven't been stung by anything flying @martaindale ! I think I must be related to your brother because everything seems to find me too. :lol: I hope you never have to find out if you are allergic either. Great way to break up your long run!

Hahaha @yirara . You're doing great, regardless of what Garmin says.

You too @TheMrWobbly ! I've been wondering about you lately.

Thanks @kgirlhart !
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

@quilteryoyo
    Kyocera Durasport 5G

Thank you :D:)
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    3 (very slow) miles + 2 hour nap today.

Glad that garmin put me back in "maintaining" status after catapulting myself in "overreaching" last weekend after pushing much harder than I should have to keep up with old running friends.

10 miles tomorrow and the plan is to keep them EASY.

@martaindale For recovery I try to prioritize sleep but I'm not always good at executing what I know I should do. I am naturally a night owl and completely suck at getting up early, so having to run very early everyday before I go to work sets me up to struggle most days. I stay up too late even though I know I need to go to bed and then can't get up in the morning because I need the extra sleep. It's a hard habit to break but I am determined to get there. I also schedule naps for myself on the weekends. If I am too busy to get them in then the following week is usually a training disaster because I have not recovered enough going into the week 😩.

@quilteryoyo I have a Garmin forerunner 945 and have had that happen to my chargers several times.... I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th now. Over time they seem to "loosen" and can't get them to connect securely enough to charge. I have gotten mine from Amazon and have not had issue with them other than I seem to need to get a new one every year or so.