What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Today was horse riding day. Bought my other half with me to jog in front as the horse goes better that way (don't ask me why, guess he just likes runners?!). We had a couple of silly races at different paces, overall really good fun.

My hips were quite sore so I went for a walk this afternoon and then did some yin yoga focusing on opening my hips up (my hips are crazy unflexible sadly, when I change my gym routine in a few weeks I should really add in some extra hip exercises).
  • southbayfit
    southbayfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Biceps,tri's and back 35 mins. Wish more ppl were in Los Angeles. But, always like making new friends on here.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is going to interfere with my fitness schedule for the next couple months. We've lost three people in the last couple months, and one more is going through chemo and is hit or miss whether he feels up to actually working any given day, so we're crazy short on bodies. Good news is we have four new hires going through / just starting training, so by October we'll be back up to full staff. But first we have to get there, both in terms of training the new peeps as well as staffing the day-to-day work.

That's where my work schedule comes in. I pulled shift for over a decade before getting promoted to day staff as the lead trainer. So for the next two months, I'm back to pulling shift. This has the double benefit of relieving manpower shortage, as well as allowing me to accelerate training the new peeps with OTJ (on-the-job) training. That's how it helps.

How it hurts is my gym time. Day shifts (like today/tomorrow) I have to report to work by 6am, no gym time before work, and I hate working out after a full work day. I'll be able to lift before swing shifts and the first mid, but following graveyard shifts is not an ideal time to exercise, combating fatigue and whatnot.

I've determined I can hit the gym 5 times every 10 days (compared to my preferred 5 days per week), which isn't bad, but still mildly annoying. I'm a creature of habit, and have really enjoyed the last three years of regular schedule afforded by my day staff position (not to mention sleeping every night, which my wife prefers also, as she never sleeps well when I'm working a graveyard shift).
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    @nossmf it is what it is, I know what you mean about being a creature of habit, I hate any unexpected changes especially when they interfere with the things that keep me sane! But at least you know this is short term and you should be back to normal in a couple of months!
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    @nossmf it is what it is, I know what you mean about being a creature of habit, I hate any unexpected changes especially when they interfere with the things that keep me sane! But at least you know this is short term and you should be back to normal in a couple of months!
  • laurachambers86
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My spinal condition has flared up a bit overnight so I kept my workout short this morning, just 30 mins with a resistance band at home. I have a little go-to full body workout that I did.

I had a day off work today so took myself up to Central London as it's not far from home, did a little sightseeing and got all my steps in. Didn't help my back too much I admit but I'll manage. Tomorrow I have nothing planned anyway except walking.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Forty-five minutes incline treadmill walk today.

Not much to say about these. If I can manage two or three it's probably enough for cardiovascular health, and it doesn't interfere with lifting, which is my priority right now. Lift tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    The regular deal, this time rowing bow in the double with one of the guys, the usual just under 7k. Steady state, individual technique work. Three of us out, our double and a guy in a single.

When I drove to the club, I was thinking I'd made the wrong weather call - rain isn't all that pleasant when it's cooler, as it was today (mid-60s F); it had been supposed to stop. Miraculously, right before we launched, it did stop, and didn't start again until a light rain started about the time we pulled into the dock to carry the boat up and put it away.
  • ashleycat7921
    ashleycat7921 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First a 6min warm up:
    https://youtu.be/LstV8oveFJ0

Then 20min pilates:
    https://youtu.be/MMT_2y58aHY

Finished with 10min defined and:
    https://youtu.be/3jynwku8QpA

Have a wonderful day/night.🌴
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Crazy traffic in town today so I couldn't make it to the gym. So I just did a 45 minute incline treadmill walk. It all counts.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Just a casual walk with a friend, little under 3 miles at about 3mph.
  • ashleycat7921
    ashleycat7921 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A nice 20 min bake ride 🚲🌴

And. 30 min workout.✅
    https://youtu.be/XDq3iJPiuAw
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated Smith OHP <superset> BB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    A few core exercises as part of shoulder rehab (don't think only your shoulder get weak when not using your arm for several months). And a 5km run with walking intervals. Walking intervals are getting shorter and running longer. Yay.
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    45 minute spin class this morning
    40 minute walk at lunchtime
    45 minute pilates class coming up in about 20 minutes!
  • williamsonmj1
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Disrupted program this week, so did the 'bare bones' of Tuesday and Thursday:
    • Muscular activation and prehab
    • Front Squat- 5 sets of 6
    • Deadlift - 5 sets of 3
    • Bench Press - 5 sets- 10, 10, 8, 7, 7
    • Strict chin ups- 5 sets- 4, 4, 4, 3, 3
    • Bird Dogs- 3 sets, 11 seconds each side

The lower body stuff is coming along nicely. Upper body has been effected more by the crash diet I have been doing the last couple of months. Hopefully things will improve.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I rowed twice. This morning, the usual near 7k in 2 seat of the quad.

Tonight, I went to open rowing with the intention of rowing a recreational single (because my balance needs work), but the new folks took out all the decent ones. (I intentionally gave them first choice).

Meanwhile, another club member (who's an airplane mechanic) had been helping me fix a problem with my Pocock double - wheels binding on the tracks. He'd made some changes, so when another experienced rower showed up a little late to open rowing, he suggested she and I test drive my double. Problem seems to be fixed, or at least greatly improved, so we rowed the double (me in bow) for almost 5k.