What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,610 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt

My favourite way to do chicken breast is Chinese stir fry. Slice thinly *against the grain*, season with salt, then *shake the chicken in cornstarch*. Heat a wok, frying pan, or sautee pan until very hot, pour in a tablespoon of oil and drop in the chicken, separating pieces with tongs or wooden spoons if the cornstarch is causing clumping. Spread out the chicken in a thin layer and toss when the underside no longer looks raw. Remove from heat *when the chicken is still a little underdone*, so pale pink in places. Turn down the heat and cook some aromatics such as garlic and ginger, toss in vegetables before the garlic overbrowns and becomes bitter. You can toss in a splash of water or add sauces such as soy, oyster sauce, chinese cooking wine, chilli paste or vinegar to stop the garlic from burning. Most Chinese stir fries use a pinch of sugar if the stir fry sauce doesn't contain sweet ingredients such as hoisin. You might need a splash of water to cook through hard vegetables. Let the water boil off at high heat. When vegetables are cooked, return the chicken to the cooking vessel and warm through before serving.

I've highlighted the steps in *asteriks* that prevent the chicken breast from getting tough. The cornstarch coating is known as "velveting" and is crucial for keeping the chicken tender. You won't need a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce if you use the velveting technique.
  • acpgee
    Options
    The most dependable way to get tender whole chicken breasts is the sous vide, I'm afraid.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-chicken-breast-recipe
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I will try those. forgot to mention the only way it's tender for me is pounding it thin, breading & frying it, but was hoping for non fry. I'll try yours too @acpgee & didn't know that about garlic
  • jennmyerswillams
    jennmyerswillams Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Chicken ceasar salad and caprese style salad

dxh78336kl97.jpg
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    🍽️ Humble but tasty tuna salad, onions, tomato & greens.
    🍹 Greens and berries shake

moqip2zgyjky.jpeg

Catching up on old posts to get food ideas and there’s your table. It looks beautiful with your dish.
  • rimcdave
    rimcdave Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    for those of you who cook chicken breast...how do you get them tender? I've cooked them several ways & about ready to give up on them

I brine boneless skinless chicken breasts in salt water a few hours and then roast in a 425 oven for 25 minutes. It comes out falls apart tender and flavorful.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I read an article about how Pad Kra Pao is Thailand's true national dish, and eaten more than Pad Thai which is more popular with foreigners. This has got to be the easiest weeknight dinner. Very little clean up too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/13/how-to-make-the-perfect-pad-kra-pao-or-thai-stir-fry-recipe
    I deviated a little and blanched the green beans by pouring boiling water from the kettle over them in a colander. I also broke my egg yolk accidentally. I used minced beef stretched with 25% quorn mince. Saves on calories and cost and I don't notice the difference in either taste or texture.
    2g313bub5arf.jpeg