WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Kim - is there a Social Security office near you? Maybe if you can just go and talk to someone in person, that would help. Or find a number for the local SS office and talk to someone there. I think they hire a lot of new people at the big call center who just flip through pages to give out answers and aren't that helpful. Good luck to you. This is certainly stress you don't need!

When my DH passed, the funeral home said to contact Social Security and gave me the 1-800 number. I can't recall the specifics but it was frustrating and I listened to their jabber and it was a waste of time. So I dug out the SS paperwork we got when we first signed up and it gave the address and phone number of the local office. The gal I talked to there was terrific, former Marine like DH so we clicked. She took care of the SS and Medicare stuff. I was ready to drive to the office and glad I didn't have to.

Tina - you popped into my head yesterday, I was wondering how you were. Glad to see you are home. :)

Lisa - you certainly struck gold with Corey. <3 Good job on the elliptical.

Pip - love your new bike. Bet it will be fun breaking it in. :)

Michele - yes, at least you are walking even if you are a bit slower these days. That's the way I feel. Some days I can go at a good clip, other days it's slower and I take time to appreciate my surroundings. The gal I sometimes walk with is barely 5' tall, so she hustles to keep up with me. And she knew that was part of the deal when she wanted to walk with me, because she knows I really enjoy walking by myself.

Heather - does someone have a bike you could borrow to try it out? I'm too scared of traffic to bike on the busy main road and I rarely see folks biking it let alone walking on it during work hours. Too many big county dump trucks and such. Plus a pretty steep hill. Got one when we moved here and eventually gave it away.

Rebecca - thank you for sharing your lasagna recipe. Any Athena & Eli updates? ;)

Rosemarie - glad to see you are getting some energy back. <3

I have hot feet and painfully cold hands, especially my right hand, and I'm right handed. I wonder if arthritis causes this :p So I look forward to washing dishes by hand. Kylia - I agree about mittens vs gloves, and when I walk during cold weather I actually make teensy rice socks to heat up and put in my pockets to keep my hands warmer.

Cleaner is coming today, I have a few more things to pick up and put away before she gets here. Want to get a quick walk in before she arrives.

Make it a super day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Not any updates as of late. I think my son is back to attending his college classes, so its probably very stressful. If I haven't gotten any updates, I will try to contact him this friday, when he has no classes. The other grandma is there helping and will be until the end of the month I understand. My daughter in law has maternity leave until January so that's good. Hopefully they will find a caregiver for the time son is at school, or maybe he will be just online classes by then. I don't know. 👍🏼💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Outside bike ride *1ST RIDE W/NEW BIKE*- 2hrs 8min 38sec, 286elev, 71aw, 14.2amph, 136ahr, 156mhr, 30.42mi= 1128c
    Strava app= 615c
    Walk home to gym- 12.14min, .53mi= 54c
    Strava app= 65c
    Treadmill jog- 27.53min, 2mi @5.5sp, .60mi @6.0sp, 127ahr, 168mhr, 2.60mi= 287c
    Walk gym to store then home- 19.39min, .91mi= 114c
    Strava app = 112c
    Outside bike ride- *test ride w/seat adjustment* - 3.38min, 7elev, 56aw, 11.3amph, 113ahr, 136mhr, .68mi= 25c
    Strava app= 14c

Total cal 1608
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Tina ~ The photographs are lovely. Would love to see those water falls. You surrounded by otters was cool!

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Heather-I recommend an e-bike, but a step-through style. They make them small these days and you can putt all around easily. Just get a helmet. I have a helmet with a headlight and taillight/blinkers.

Machka-I can relate on the heat issue. I seem to be warm all the time now and have random overly-hot periods of a few minutes. Not like hot flashes. Those came from inside and radiated out. This is just an overwhelming heat all over, mostly on my head. However, the mister is always cold (I think a side effect of some medication he's taking), so we have a battle with the thermostat. He keeps it at or over 78F/25.5C. I want it well below that in the daytime and I'd love it around your temp at night. He likes to sleep in a sauna (always has). When he's at work, I crank the A/C down and I'm comfortable. At night, I toss and turn and sweat. Then he complains that I have health risks for not getting enough sleep. Well, he can just wear a sweater and get another blanket! It's so frustrating.

Rebecca-I was so happy to read about Owain. Glad he got back in touch.

So, Honduras was interesting. I did get to spend quality time with my step-sister. That was good. Sadly, the host family was so negative about Honduras and the people that it made it an unfortunate experience. They have lived there as missionaries for something like 15 years and are so negative. I wouldn't do that trip again just because of them. The Hondurans were wonderful and the kids were so cute. We did get to do a team activity when we arrived and it was to a beautiful park with waterfalls. We ziplined over the falls. I'd do that again. If I can get a picture to post, I will.

Healthwise, when I returned from Honduras, I had lost 2 pounds. But I immediately had guests the day after I arrived and have for a month. So, those two found me and brought friends. Too much eating late, booze, and not enough exercise. Back on the wagon I go.

Have a good day!

Tina in CA

Thanks, I am happy too.💖⚓👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Today was the first day of senior bowling. Organizational meeting and then free bowling. Afterwards, we cut the front lawn (weeds). Put down that weed killer around the pool. I DO NOT want them to grow back. After dinner took a walk around the neighborhood. Got packed to go tomorrow. Got in 16,000+ steps

Vibrantreader – welcome

pip – nice looking bike. Good deal, too

Betsy – HUG

The older I get, the slower I walk. I look at it as “at least I’m walking”

I don’t like to go barefoot. For one thing, I have this “thing” about germs on my feet. Probably stems from the fact that I seem to get a lot of plantar warts. For another thing, it hurts my feet. Probably because I’m not used to it

There is a lady at the soup kitchen who has Renaud’s syndrome. She was saying that even in summer, she sometimes has to wear gloves

regarding cold hands: you know what they say “cold hands, warm heart”

Michele NC

If I am pulling more than just one or two things from the freezer, I need to wear gloves, same, but not as bad with things from the fridge. Finger tips turn a beet red and burn and itch so bad until I can warm them up
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Eli <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,761 Member
    Options
    Rebecca …how is Athena adjusting to her new brother?
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Barbie - sending (((Hugs))) and good thoughts for Jake. Hope they can get on top of it rapidly and he can come home soon. Thank you for letting us know. <3

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Barbie -saying prayers for a quick recovery for Jake..
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Barbiecat-my thoughts are with you
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,761 Member
    Options
    Barbie … praying that Jake’s infection quickly subsides and he is soon able to come home. Prayers for you too!