WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    Rita - It says they can't find the site. ????

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

This one should work: https://gofund.me/1f5e467a

RVRita in NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate the people who rescue dogs. I caught a very friendly dog this morning and have listed him on 3 different sites for lost dogs in my area.
    Meditation: daily. 7/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 10/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 188/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 35
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    The last morning glories... They'll all be gone soon.

rn3pgwhhyik9.png

the morning glory are beautiful but boy do they take over. Many years ago, I planted that type in the back garden, just in one pot. Now, they are EVERYWHERE- thousands of them in the back, through out my garden and also all over in the front yard. I leave some(and some just get away from me because there are so many)because the hummingbirds love them.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It's been a good day, exercise-wise. Ten minutes of yoga and stretching, and just finished 27 minutes on the elliptical and 13 minutes on the rower - best I've done on each so far, and 50 minutes the best by far that I've done on dedicated exercise. Quite pleased with that, after a morning spent recovering from the day before...

Also realized, finally, that if I chose to, I could exercise in just a sports bra, no shirt - something I never ever did in a gym at any point in my life. But I'm by myself, and Egg doesn't care... felt quite odd for the first little bit, and then it was nice not to be dealing with trying to keep my shirt out of my way. I've always been a very modest person, so it's kind of a step for me. Not sure whether it's up, down or sideways, but it's a step. :smiley:

Time to pop in the shower, then get the roast chicken in the oven. Corey spatchcocked it for me and put it in the brine last night, with instructions of which spices to put on it and which vegetables to put in the roasting pan, and how long to put it in the oven... like I said, he's the chef, I'm just the sous chef, at best. <3:wink: All the roasted bits, as well as any leftover veggies and all the bones, will go in a stew pot to cook down for broth, and should be quite yummy. Can freeze some for soup later in the year, as well.

Hope you've had a good day, too,
    Cheers,
    Lisa in Arkansas, which is finally out of the furnace and leaning toward fall weather
  • cyntdooley
    cyntdooley Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cindy, in Pensacola, Yes when my son said that, my heart hurt it was so sweet.💖 He has always been my emphatic one. The fact that he learned to speak when we were stationed in Japan changed him a bit. As a boy, it didn't matter how peopled talked to him, but it mattered how kids treated him. His voice had a European accent, for some unusual reason, and he went to speech class. Kids didn't really listen to what he said, but how he said things. So he had trouble integrating into converations.
    But he's an adult now, and still wears his heart on his sleeve. He was our room mate when he was stationed here on Whidbey Island. Still is, but he's in Guam now. Soon he will be heading to Japan. The life of a sailor! We are retired Navy so its all the life we know.😁💖
    dhc6lds1qcif.jpg
    What I used to see daily.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

He looks like a really lovely man. Handsome fellar too. I know you are proud. If I repeated this please forgive me as today I had some back injections. Ya know I always get sedation. 😉
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,507 Member
    Options
    cyntdooley wrote: »
    Cindy, in Pensacola, Yes when my son said that, my heart hurt it was so sweet.💖 He has always been my emphatic one. The fact that he learned to speak when we were stationed in Japan changed him a bit. As a boy, it didn't matter how peopled talked to him, but it mattered how kids treated him. His voice had a European accent, for some unusual reason, and he went to speech class. Kids didn't really listen to what he said, but how he said things. So he had trouble integrating into converations.
    But he's an adult now, and still wears his heart on his sleeve. He was our room mate when he was stationed here on Whidbey Island. Still is, but he's in Guam now. Soon he will be heading to Japan. The life of a sailor! We are retired Navy so its all the life we know.😁💖
    dhc6lds1qcif.jpg
    What I used to see daily.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

He looks like a really lovely man. Handsome fellar too. I know you are proud. If I repeated this please forgive me as today I had some back injections. Ya know I always get sedation. 😉

Yep he is a sweet guy. I miss our pilgrimages to a ramen place down the island. We would go have gyoza, and ramen, making yummy noises at each other and be in food comas all the way home.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Had an eventful and busy day yesterday.
    Took the Camry in for an oil change, they checked the cabin filter and found a huge mouse nest. I need to start putting Bounce dryer sheets on the tires when I park the car in the garage, or mothballs or peppermint oil in the engine compartment. Rotten buggers. I watched the guy change the filter and I can buy one at the auto parts store and replace it myself in the future.

Stopped by the woodstove place where we bought ours 8 years ago to inquire about a chimney sweep - our regular guy retired three years ago and haven't been able to find a replacement. Well, they handed me a card and said here's a new guy who is doing that, they've had good reports. I called him and he was able to come out after lunch.

Long story short - the chimney and woodstove are cleaner than they were, but he left a mess for me to clean up. The vacuum he was going to use to suck up the ash and creosote from the chimney well malfunctioned and it blew ash and debris all over the living room. He left chunks of creosote all over the stove and ceramic tile. He left a sooty footprint on my gray carpet that my vacuum couldn't take out. He didn't seem upset about it and wondered if I'd give him a 5 star rating on Google. :D I smiled and said I'd think about it - I just wanted him out of the house ASAP. :s
    Plus, another good thing about that chimney guy climbing on the roof to brush out the chimney stack - he said the wooden surround up there was in poor shape and he knew a guy who was a carpenter and could maybe squeeze it in to get it redone.

I admit, it was looking ratty - had mildew on the north side and paint chipping off on the east side. I had been concerned it was deteriorating and would cause a leak.

So, here's the good ending to this story - I remembered a contractor - older fella, I'm guessing in his 60's - that had been doing small jobs in the neighborhood the past couple years, I had his card and gave him a buzz.

He came out in the late afternoon, set up his ladder and climbed up to inspect it. The good news is - it's in great shape, just needs a little caulk replaced down where the hardiplank meets the metal flashing and a quart of paint. He said it would take him less than 2 hours and would cost $100 plus the paint.

I felt like I won the lottery. :p I'm now thinking of other jobs he might be able to do since he also does indoor and outdoor remodeling.

Guess what his name is.... ROGER! :D

Lanette
    SW WA State

Good thing the mice didn't do more damage- had them get in my old mustang that dh was planning on restoring- they chewed up all the wires. Never did get it restored. He sold it to the neighbor for $500(I was NOT happy about it but oh well- said there was too much rust on the frame rail to restore it)

I would give that chimney guy a 2 star at most- to leave that much mess and not be even concerned about it is rediculous.

Glad you found a good handyman. Nice to have one that will do a good job and not charge a ton.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Had a nice walk at the wetlands. Quite a few people out walking with their dogs.
    Did almost get hit by a car just crossing the street from the school to the entrance of the wetlands. I was stepping into the cross walk and I saw a car slowing down as it got to the crosswalk so I kept walking, the idiot did NOT stop, just kept going. I screamed at him(guessing it was a him-windows were all tinted and I couldn't see the driver). It stopped less than 6 inches from my thigh. Stopped just long enough for me to finish walking in front of him(about two feet) and kept going .
    Crazy drivers out there.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Belated best birthday wishes Tracey!
    Tina waterfalls and otters, si! Ziplines :noway:
    Barbie ((hugs)). An infection presenting as a sprain? Scary! Good thoughts that the infection is quickly cured with no side effects from the treatment.
    Ginny safe travels and enjoy your time with YS and DIL.
    Margaret love the flashlight/people batteries sentiment, especially the “simply sit with them quietly and share your light.” Will remember this next time I visit Doris.
    Machka I resemble that “ended up on the floor looking at old photo albums…”
    Only through page 31 but Tumble just told me its tummy time…
    Gratitudes:
    9/14: warm days yesterday and today. Despite yesterday’s overindulgence, CI and sugar good.
    9/13: yesterday’s install of new wifi equipment and connecting cell phones, smart tv, laptops and Roomba to new router went well… after customer service helped me find the disconnected coax cable. Today customer service will send a box in which I can return the equipment. Will sneak in some other cables for them to recycle ;} Yesterday’s gratitude: Joe’s enjoyment of Hemming’s Motor News. This morning he read to me from it and showed me pictures of the Fiats he’s interested in.
    09/13: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dancing. Steps:7198
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=35 CI<CO net=371
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT. ptS, visit DS, library, BiMart, Post Office, recycling. Wt:129.2
    09/12: Move: 2 sets PT w/D, dogs to powerline, line dancing. Steps:8313
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=3 CI<CO net=509
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT. ptS , M Wt:128.1

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!
    2023: Be of good cheer.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,625 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Rory “Lifetime movie” I am sooo happy for you!!!
    KJ only a few months til your DD,SIL,grandsons move close to you? Eeee!
    Rosemarie “plan to walk the beach, watch the sunset, read and listen to an audio book” sounds like a great plan to me. Safe travels.
    Lisa Egg’s quite the effective screen time timer ;)
    Heather :love: tea and hand holding. Brilliant.
    Lanette SMH at the chimney sweep not cleaning up but asking for a 5 star review. Halelujah for Roger. Does he “vacation” on the southern Oregon coast?
    Rita hope the dog you found is soon reunited with his family. Hope they are ok too.
    Katla delighted to hear of the garden walk with your DH.
    Sue thanks so much for the porokeratosis explanation. After they’re removed do you have to restrict walking/dancing? Fingers Xd the cabin candidate is a good one.
    Allie :love: that pic of Alfie.
    Debbie Ack! Thankful he finally did stop. Scary!
    Barbie Thankful Jake is home and walking better. Bet you are too ;)
    Almost killed the skeleton mix and winter white violets I planted last week by not watering through this warm spell. They looked ok this morning but by this afternoon they were all lying down like dead soldiers after a battle. Soaked ‘em good and most are reviving. Still getting snow peas but all the red romaine has bolted. Will choose one plant to try to get seeds from, pull the rest, and plant beets, radishes, carrots and more snow peas. At least that’s the plan. . .

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!
    2023: Be of good cheer.